Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning traffic solution?

Options
  • 24-07-2015 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭

Just discussing this at work. There are currently pretty much no traffic problems on any of our commuter routes in the mornings. I come in from north side Dublin to City centre by bicycle and some of us commute from as far as navan and Louth.

It's all down to schools being off.

Shouldn't we look at this closely and try and find a solution to parents blocking up the roads every morning? Is there any other way to get kids to school? I walked or took the bus.

If the traffic could stay how it is we would have far less stressful lives!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Don't forget the teachers who all drive to school term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a modern cotton wool cultural phenomenon, women in SUVS parking up on the sidewalk to drop off their 15 year old kids to save them a 1 or 2 km walk/cycle/bus ride. It's also making our next generation clinically obese.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's a modern cotton wool cultural phenomenon, women in SUVS parking up on the sidewalk to drop off their 15 year old kids to save them a 1 or 2 km walk/cycle/bus ride. It's also making our next generation clinically obese.
    No it's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

No it's not.

Your abrupt, curt, know it all answers have no place here thanks. Do you have anything to contribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the solution is simple, sort out the appalling rail infrastructure here would be a good start. MN and DU, along with a few smaller schemes. Build the southern bypass and have a full ring road...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the solution is simple, sort out the appalling rail infrastructure here would be a good start. MN and DU, along with a few smaller schemes. Build the southern bypass and have a full ring road...

??

No it's not.

What's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's mainly because drivers go on holidays when Schools off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Schools, universities, associated staff and lucky workers on holiday. It's the summer holiday season. No single source or cure. Enjoy it while it lasts.

??

sorry, meant to say eastern bypass...

• Advertisement

I'd say we're a long way off an Eastern Bypass. It'd be a post DARTu, Metro, BRT, various cycling schemes kind of time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your abrupt, curt, know it all answers have no place here thanks. Do you have anything to contribute?
    If you have a problem with a post, report it.
    No it's not.

We would be grateful if you could post more meaningful comments.

There are multiple factors.

* Aside from schools and colleges being off, quite a few parents also take the summer off to mind those children.
    * The weather is better - there is less desire to be cosseted from door to door leading to more people willing to use public transport, walk or cycle - not every day, but at least some days.
    * Less weather-related traffic disruption.
    * More people are on holidays.
    * Some factories, especially chemical / pharmaceutical plants will have maintenance shut-downs
    * Builders' holidays.
    * Longer day light hours - this means that there is less emphasis on getting certain tasks done within a short working day.
    * Longer evenings - people are more willing to engage in an after-work leisure activity, without going home first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Just discussing this at work. There are currently pretty much no traffic problems on any of our commuter routes in the mornings. I come in from north side Dublin to City centre by bicycle and some of us commute from as far as navan and Louth.

It's all down to schools being off.

Shouldn't we look at this closely and try and find a solution to parents blocking up the roads every morning? Is there any other way to get kids to school? I walked or took the bus.

If the traffic could stay how it is we would have far less stressful lives!
    kirk-traffic-jam.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

There are several thing that could be done:

1. Better public transport, including subway. There are cities smaller than Dublin with functional subways, e.g. Lisbon
    2. School buses, mandatory
    3. Congestion charges in city center, with possible exemption for car sharing
    4. Legalize all 2 wheelers in bus lanes

Also, public transport needs to be cheaper, waaaaay more frequent, faster and use more circular routes. Why do I need to go through city center trying to get from Lucan to Blanch for example?

As long as I can get to work (15 km one way) 5-6 TIMES FASTER in my car than with Dublin Bus/Luas/Dublin Bus combination I will happily cover the tax, insurance fuel and maintenance costs on 2L petrol to SAVE MY PRECIOUS TIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Victor wrote: »
    There are Multiple factors.

* Aside from schools and colleges being off, quite a few parents also take the summer off to mind those children.
    * The weather is better - there is less desire to be cosseted from door to door leading to more people willing to use public transport, walk or cycle - not every day, but at least some days.
    * Less weather-related traffic disruption.
    * More people are on holidays.
    * Some factories, especially chemical / pharmaceutical plants will have maintenance shut-downs
    * Builders' holidays.
    * Longer day light hours - this means that there is less emphasis on getting certain tasks done within a short working day.
    * Longer evenings - people are more willing to engage in an after-work leisure activity, without going home first.

The primary factor is simply the reality that there isn't a large cohort of people driving their children to school.

I have great trouble accepting that "quite a few parents also take the summer off to mind those children". TTBOMK the only people who can "take the summer off" are teachers and parents working full-time in the home, ie the same ones who cause the traffic congestion during the school term.

Climate and day-length explain very little of the variation. For example, the roads in Galway are clogged with school traffic regardless of the weather, and you can almost guarantee that there will be traffic chaos again in August sunshine when the annual book/uniform buying frenzy takes place.

In Galway the secondary teachers one-day strikes resulted in free-flow conditions, effectively ruling out other factors (such as builders' holidays, weather, day length etc).

School-related traffic congestion can be sorted out by the provision of school buses, school travel plans and active traffic management by the relevant aithorities. Currently nobody in power has the slightest interest in looking at such matters, and they are quite content to let the chaos continue so that they don't have to get off their arses and plan things differently.

In Galway the preferred "solution" is a "bypass", the main purpose of which is to avoid the need for proper planning and provision of public transport.

While education is the biggest factor, the others do have knock-ons.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I have great trouble accepting that "quite a few parents also take the summer off to mind those children". TTBOMK the only people who can "take the summer off" are teachers and parents working full-time in the home, ie the same ones who cause the traffic congestion during the school term.
    So many civil / public servants do it that they hire large numbers of temporary summer staff. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057391117

It's slightly different in the aviation industry - all the front line staff get their leave (sometimes months of paid leave) in the winter, while heavy maintenance staff probably get much of the summer off.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Many years ago Con Houlihan was asked about the traffic problem in Dublin. His response "the people complaining about it are the people causing it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Victor wrote: »
    While education is the biggest factor, the others do have knock-ons.So many civil / public servants do it that they hire large numbers of temporary summer staff. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057391117

It's slightly different in the aviation industry - all the front line staff get their leave (sometimes months of paid leave) in the winter, while heavy maintenance staff probably get much of the summer off.

So the large number of civil/public service workers taking the summer off (what formal arrangement allows them to do that, btw?) are replaced by temporary staff.

How do the temps get to work?

The number of public service workers in Galway must be comparatively small. The summer season traffic reduction is mostly due to schools, and is therefore an issue that can be addressed with proper organisation and the necessary will. Both are entirely lacking in public administration. The temporary workers would probably do a better job if given the mandate... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 redmicky

Make it so children have to go to a school in the area they live in.
    For example at the moment we have children from the north side of dublin going to school on the south side and vice versa.
    The bus and Dart is packed with school children traveling miles from home to attend school, passing by numerous schools nearer to where they live which they could attend. Do something about that and it will help greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

redmicky wrote: »
    Make it so children have to go to a school in the area they live in.
    For example at the moment we have children from the north side of dublin going to school on the south side and vice versa.
    The bus and Dart is packed with school children traveling miles from home to attend school, passing by numerous schools nearer to where they live which they could attend. Do something about that and it will help greatly.

One could easily say;

"Make it so people have to work near the area they live in"

The roads are for everyone, in equal measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Buy a motorbike/scooter. Problem solved. Why do people feel like they need a five seat car to drive to work. Unless you are car pooling YOU are part of the problem.

Many years ago Con Houlihan was asked about the traffic problem in Dublin. His response "the people complaining about it are the people causing it"
    laughable, yeah it certainly isnt the appalling transport system here... Which is spectacularly bad given the size of the city and the money available during the boom..

Idbatterim wrote: »
    laughable, yeah it certainly isnt the appalling transport system here... Which is spectacularly bad given the size of the city and the money available during the boom..
    Sure, but it is bad because of the people driving the cars - which extends to beyond physical act of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Idbatterim wrote:

What? Build railway stations near each school?

The simple solution is to make school starts at ten a.m. Which would mean that whatever parents are doing during the summer, they'd have to do all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    There are several thing that could be done:

1. Better public transport, including subway. There are cities smaller than Dublin with functional subways, e.g. Lisbon

Lisbon is absolutely not smaller than Dublin.
    The official city is calculated smaller because of the administrative boundary. It has a metro population of 2.8 million and is much more densely built due to apartment vs house dwelling.

There are smaller cities with Metros though : Bilbao for example.

The constant issue in Ireland with public transport is that once you get away from City centres there's scatter development and you end up needing park and ride to get people onto systems as stations would be too far away from most homes of you followed a Spanish pattern.

We've made a political and cultural choice to put spread out, low density housing as our lifestyle priority.

That's largely why we struggle with things like public transport but also broadband and other capital intensive infrastructure that needs density of population to make it cost effective.

Our broadband issues for example are only resolving because cheaper, decentralised technology is available now. Eircom is using street cabinets that only need to have 100 homes near by to make them commercially viable.

In the past they needed an exchange with thousands

We also tend to scatter or schools to the four winds and we still segregate a lot of them by gender, especially in urban areas. That means more parents making multiple trips if they've boys and girls.

Then you've religious issues that mean a % of parents can't access local schools due to not having baptismal certificates so, you've long drives to alternative schools

Nobody thinks about these things as drains on the economy or evironmentally damagining.

Big picture and far sighted planning isn't something Ireland does well.

I mean how the hell does a country this wet manage to run out of water in a relatively small metropolitan area like Dublin? Answer : inability to plan, parochialism and rapid development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

the solution is no doubt more people working from home. After all it is daft for people to travel a few miles just to sit in an office in front of computer all day when they could have done that in a home office, and got their household expenses subsidised by their employer and saved the travel costs, and their employer could save expensive office costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Valetta wrote: »
    One could easily say;

"Make it so people have to work near the area they live in"

And the problem with that statement is?

If I was king, I wouldn't enforce that has a "have to". But I would give tax-breaks to employers based on minimising the distance between their employees homes at regular place of work. 'Twould soon enough see companies take more account of the environmental effect of their hiring policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Buy a motorbike/scooter. Problem solved. Why do people feel like they need a five seat car to drive to work. Unless you are car pooling YOU are part of the problem.

I think this coupled with the suggestion somewhere else in the thread that all 2 wheeled vehicles could use bus lanes would be a big help.

I know most bikes/scooters already use bus lanes illegally mostly without penalty but a concerted campaign to advertise scooter and bus lane use would I think take a lot of people out of cars..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I know most bikes/scooters already use bus lanes illegally mostly without penalty but a concerted campaign to advertise scooter and bus lane use would I think take a lot of people out of cars..

Motorbikes have a horrendous safety record, I can't see the govt. starting a campaign to encourage more of them. They should formalise the use of bus lanes though.

As for the school thing - the new school opening near me will be starting at 08.15, which sounds like a good idea except that lots of people here commute to Sandyford, Cherrywood, Bray etc and will be on the road at that time. But if they opened the school at 9am it would conflict with the traffic going to all the other schools.

Opening at 10 as suggested further up the thread would cause working parents additional childcare problems.

Staggered opening by bringing in breakfast/homework clubs before and after classes might be an option but teacher's unions would probably object.

I'd agree that kids should attend local schools - a lot of the kids travelling longer distances are attending private schools. The whole school admissions system in Ireland is messed up and needs reform, I don't think "improving traffic" is high on the list of priorities there...

Advertisement