Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre fire pistol renewals

Options
  • 10-07-2015 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,

We received our centre fire pistol renewal grant letters in the post today :)
    This was our first proper "renewal" since the court cases.
    I know this doesn’t affect many people but for the people who have them it was a worry due to recent AGS/DOJ grumblings.
    The prepopulated renewals came three months before expiry of our FAC's, the grant letters received within 10 working days of submission of applications!

Credit where credit is due, AGS were on the ball and a pleasure to deal with!

Cheers,
    Slugchucker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Fantastic news! Thank you for sharing. Safe shooting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As it should be!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Congrats, I miss my P226!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Great new on that. Mine is due for renewal in September. Can I ask, what division are you in?

Cheers,

SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Hi All,

We received our centre fire pistol renewal grant letters in the post today :)
    This was our first proper "renewal" since the court cases.
    I know this doesn’t affect many people but for the people who have them it was a worry due to recent AGS/DOJ grumblings.
    The prepopulated renewals came three months before expiry of our FAC's, the grant letters received within 10 working days of submission of applications!

Credit where credit is due, AGS were on the ball and a pleasure to deal with!

Cheers,
    Slugchucker

Great news indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Great.. Proof the system can operate smoothly.. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Recently had my CF pistol licence issued .... for 4 years !

Renewal for one of my CF pistols arrived today. Completed and returned in the post. The waiting begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Recently had my CF pistol licence issued .... for 4 years !

Emmmmmmm. Say again :eek:

Does that mean that your licence is invalid?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

3 years is the 'minimum' allowable licencing period. No maximum is mentioned. Therefore , his cert. is perfectly valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,462 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

freddieot wrote: »
    3 years is the 'minimum' allowable licencing period. No maximum is mentioned. Therefore , his cert. is perfectly valid.

Where is that set out in legislation?

Criminal Justice Act 2006

Part 5, 30;
    (7) A firearm certificate which is in force shall continue in force for a period of 3 years from the date on which it was granted, unless revoked, and for any further such period for which it may be renewed.

For all the mucking about that ol GH has had to put up with on his liscenses,maybe they felt sorry and gave him an extra year free?:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Strider wrote: »
    Where is that set out in legislation?

Criminal Justice Act 2006

Part 5, 30;

The absolute maximum is not set out here, just the absolute minimum (3 years).....A subtle difference but a difference nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

freddieot wrote: »
    The absolute maximum is not set out here, just the absolute minimum (3 years).....A subtle difference but a difference nevertheless.

I'm not vested one way or the other here but the quoted passage of text does not state or imply that 3 years is a minimum.

Any cert for less than 3 years is not valid and breaches the legislation -e.g. just operationally, what percentage of €80 would be payable and how would that be achieved under the legislation \ process ? - What process is there for a refund after 1 year, 2 years etc.

In short, no vested interest either on my side, but I did have an issue with this several years ago (cert originally issued for 2 months) and that was the Legal Advice I was given. 3 Years Minimum but no stated absolute maximum.

However, like everything else, opinions can and will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Personally, I'd be checking out the legality of the licence.

If it's a mistake causing the licence to be invalid, it isn't the Gardai that will be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

When the three year licences were first issued most were valid for over three years. This was done to space out the licencing renewal date. There was no issue then with licences been invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

Hi Slug chucker, Congrats on your successful reapplication . Can I ask , did you just tick the boxes where appropriate on your Pre Populated form or did you include proof of use ie competition entries with your application ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

hexosan wrote: »
    When the three year licences were first issued most were valid for over three years. This was done to space out the licencing renewal date. There was no issue then with licences been invalid.

There was a pretty complex wodge of the Act set aside to cater to that though.
    Personally, I'd be on the phone to my Chief Super to fix the typo...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

k31 wrote: »
    Hi Slug chucker, Congrats on your successful reapplication . Can I ask , did you just tick the boxes where appropriate on your Pre Populated form or did you include proof of use ie competition entries with your application ? Thanks.

Bare minimum, a copy of club membership card, shooting insurance and previous license. I also supplied a copy of my drivers license. Nothing else was sent in with the forms. I purposely left it lean, the less the better. Giving everything at the start didn't help me in 2009!

While I'm here, my unrestricted renewals are now done, one week turnaround from application, all granted with no problems. There was a Hammerli Xesse .22LR pistol in with this bunch also. Again, couldn't fault the service I got from AGS, top job done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

Bare minimum, a copy of club membership card, shooting insurance and previous license. I also supplied a copy of my drivers license. Nothing else was sent in with the forms. I purposely left it lean, the less the better. Giving everything at the start didn't help me in 2009!

While I'm here, my unrestricted renewals are now done, one week turnaround from application, all granted with no problems. There was a Hammerli Xesse .22LR pistol in with this bunch also. Again, couldn't fault the service I got from AGS, top job done :)

Hi, And again congrats on your successful unrestricted pistol application. In 2009 I included 18 pages of supporting documentation with my cf pistol application and we all know were that went. From the lads I have spoken to the general consensus seems to be to return the forms as is and see what happens. Thanks for your reply and enjoy your shooting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Got the shooting bug back and took a chance by trying to re-license my Sig. Grant letter arrived this morning. Jogged off to the post office, paid the fee, so when the license arrives i'm going to bring it home. (then straight to the range the next morning :D)

Chuffed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Congrats Cass.

Got the Grant for my .40 on Friday last so will be watching for the Postie later this week....

Hi Freddieot,

Can I ask what division you are in? I sent my renewal for my .40 off on the 30th July, and have heard squat back. DMR North is where I am.

Cheers,

SVI40

Cass wrote: »
    Got the shooting bug back and took a chance by trying to re-license my Sig. Grant letter arrived this morning. Jogged off to the post office, paid the fee, so when the license arrives i'm going to bring it home. (then straight to the range the next morning :D)

Chuffed.

Welcome back!!Was wondering how that was going for you.Great to hear that it worked out for you in the end .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭toshiba1

Just got mine... 2 weeks turn a round

Just received my grant letter this morning for renewing my .40 S&W. The fee is already paid :)

I'm based in DMR North, so hopefully the rest of ye in this division will get them shortly.

SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Hi lads a question if I may since it's a centre fire post by the OP. With the new SI setting out that the design issues are gone for the .22 pistols ie black military use etc... Is the same true of centre fire applications, that design is no longer a issue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The centrefires have not been touched. They remain as they always were.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement