Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overreacting or the right thing to do.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Red Kev wrote: »
    His own fault TBH. Especially as an American he should known its a stupid thing to do.

Thought the female officer was fine. She isn't hysterical, just the result of a huge adrenalin burst after shooting the man and probably for a second or two thinking she's about to be shot herself.
    she is very hysterical and needs to be thrown out. she has no place, she is a liability

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Not ANOTHER all American cops are racists and scumbags who want to kill people thread. I'm all out of give a fcuk.:rolleyes:
    clearly not as you posted. you will care. and there is plenty of evidence to state a large number over there are racist and or scumbags. thats their own fault, not ours

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

daheff wrote: »
    whatever about him taking out the gun and the officer shooting initially, the part where she fires mutiple shots at somebody on the ground is (to pardon the phrase) overkill.

I can fully understand why the inital shots were fired, but once he hit the ground she should have stopped shooting. At the point of hitting the ground theres a chance (albeit probably small) that he wouldnt have died.

The volley of shots at a person facedown on the ground ensures he wont survive.

There is also the real possibility that the guy they know pulled a gun could still try to shoot at them from the ground. I doubt they are trained to take that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ben1994

The shooting after the taze is a bit much, but with alot of these incidents people defend the victims but what are the police to do? get shot first to make sure its a real gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

clearly not as you posted. you will care. and there is plenty of evidence to state a large number over there are racist and or scumbags. thats their own fault, not ours

You really are thread death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fullstop wrote: »
    Got what he deserved, what a fool.
    not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

daheff wrote: »
    ... At the point of hitting the ground theres a chance (albeit probably small) that he wouldnt have died.

and a chance (albeit small) that he is still capable of firing back.

there are only 8 seconds between the gun appearing and the last shot being fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

American cops pumped up on steroids and team America becomes trigger happy surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He was tasered, turned around, hit the ground, rolled over and was then shot 3 times in the back. The same cop tased had time to put it away and then she drew her gun and shot him 3 times.

Nope, shooting starts on 51 seconds, same time as she drew the taser. Anyway, hardly matters does it? You point a gun at the police in the US and you know what's coming.

• Advertisement

You really are thread death.
    i'm clearly not. the facts speak for themselves

At what point does the taser get used that people are talking about? both officers fired their sidearm.

I think that puts to bed the myth that he was already on the ground tasered when they started shooting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

This is almost certainly a case of suicide by cop - steal alcohol to get the cops called then when the arrive pull a gun on them. Either that or he had mental health issues, or was just plain stupid. Nobody with a half functioning brain could deduce, nomatter the circumstances, that it was a good idea to draw a bb/as gun in the presence of 2 armed cops.

He was tazed severely but that is no guarantee he could not get off a round or 2 at them even from the ground. I think the officers were justified in their action. If I did what he did I couldn't reasonably expect to survive.

This is almost certainly a case of suicide by cop - steal alcohol to get the cops called then when the arrive pull a gun on them. Either that or he had mental health issues, or was just plain stupid. Nobody with a half functioning brain could deduce, nomatter the circumstances, that it was a good idea to draw a bb/as gun in the presence of 2 armed cops.

He was tazed severely but that is no guarantee he could not get off a round or 2 at them even from the ground. I think the officers were justified in their action. If I did what he did I couldn't reasonably expect to survive.

again, at what point in the video was he tazed? both officers drew their sidearms

At what point does the taser get used that people are talking about? both officers fired their sidearm.

The female officer uses a (yellow) taser first, while the male officer goes straight for his gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Watched it. Seems like a 100% legit and reasonable use of force. Fraction of a second to react. People complaining about an hysterical reaction are talking through their hats.

Nope, shooting starts on 51 seconds, same time as she drew the taser. Anyway, hardly matters does it? You point a gun at armed police in any country the US and you know what's coming.

FYP

I'd say the balance of opinion here is that this was a justified shooting dead or a man. I bet if the guy was a black there'd be a shítstorm of epic proportions on here.

The female officer uses a (yellow) taser first, while the male officer goes straight for his gun.

ok i missed the flash of yellow on the taser. Did she actually fire it though? she dropped it in less than a second.

FYP

Well not really in Ireland, except the ERU maybe.

Edit; just saw you added "armed"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

OP, it's cases like this one yesterday where a cop was cleared for shooting a kid that was carrying a BB gun that you should focus on.

There were even witnesses saying cops lied.

Cops had little or no choice here though.

ok i missed the flash of yellow on the taser. Did she actually fire it though? she dropped it in less than a second.

Think she fired it, but it's marginal. Of course some on here will try to tell you she tasered him to within an inch of his life and then shot him in the head at point-blank range

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

There is also the real possibility that the guy they know pulled a gun could still try to shoot at them from the ground. I doubt they are trained to take that chance.
    and a chance (albeit small) that he is still capable of firing back.

there are only 8 seconds between the gun appearing and the last shot being fired.
    Not much of a chance after being tased and shot 8 times (i make it 8 shots by sgt & then a further 3-4 by officer when he hits the ground)

the video from the sgt gives a better view of what happened. I think the female officer only started shooting after the sgt did it. Otherwise I think she was using the taser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

She fired it, the guy turned and stumbled and fell, dunno if caused by taser or other officers gunfire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The front officer moves cutlery out of the way on a table before the guy passes - good instincts but if he is thinking this then surely they frisk him in the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Didn't read any story before watching the video and honestly thought I was going to see a cop get shot/stabbed.

If it looks like a gun and it's pulled out in a situation like that, how else were they supposed to react?

Another interesting experiment showing the difference in police response to open carrying between black and white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Officer Griffins' after-the-fact shots seem to be a case of contagious shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

She didn't shoot the taser, watch the video a couple of times at 0.25 speed you can see. (The flash of light when she pulls the taser out is the strobing light on the police mans gun / the laser dot he has)

The man pulled the bb gun, the police man pushes him away while drawing his gun, the female officer draws her taser, the police man is already shooting, she changes to her pistol and shoots him 3 times, the first two times the man is still holding the gun, it's only between the second and third shot that the man rolls over and has released the gun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

over reaction as per. wouldn't expect anything less from murika and the low standards they have for their police

And captain 'predictable response' has arrived. This is such a cut and dry case of justified shooting and yet you still can't be happy. It's such a shame the guy wasn't black so you could harp on about that as well :rolleyes:

Advertisement