Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

mire wrote: »
    There are laods and loads of car parking spaces in cork city. Far too many in fact. It's great to see the bike stands relacing car parking spaces.
    I suspect the scheme will be extended in Cork in a year or two - to Douglas, Wilton, County Hall, Blackrock.

Loads? Have a drive around Cork city on a Saturday and I'm sure you will see that there is a severe lack of them! Especially now that many have been taken over by the coke bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

kingtut wrote: »
    Sorry haven't been on in a while.
    I don't mean have a station only in Douglas, I meant have stations all the way from the city to Douglas.

They'll go out to Douglas eventually I imagine. For the initial roll out though, the priority (it appears) was to provide a good service to the city center and a few key locations within a short cycling distance. Fair enough really. This will be a gradual deployment across the greater Cork City area. I imagine Wilton/Bishopstown/CIT, Blackrock & Blackpool will be done sooner than Douglas though. Not basing that on much, just my opinion.
    Loads? Have a drive around Cork city on a Saturday and I'm sure you will see that there is a severe lack of them! Especially now that many have been taken over by the coke bikes.

I've never had a problem getting a parking space in Cork on any day of the week at any time. Plenty of multi-stories, plenty of street parking in walking distance of city center and a decent amount of street parking in the city center itself. I never once tried to park in the city and been forced to turn back for lack of a space. Don't see the issue myself of sacrificing a few parking spaces for the bike stations. Most stations I've seen anyway are on pedestrianized areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

Always spots up the top of Patricks Hill which is free parking if you dont mind the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

There is no shortage of car parking in cork city. None. There's an oversupply in fact. Your anecdote of driving into town on a saturday is exactly the point. In what type of city would you expect to be able to drive into its city cenre on a saturday and for there to be loads of on-street car parking. Just waiting for you???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah to be honest I've never had a problem finding parking in the city, even on Patrick's day I found a space after a few minutes, you know one stations houses like 12-15 bikes? That would take like 3 car spaces. Can't believe some people are not happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My problem with the parking in Cork City, and I've said this multiple times, is the lack of available tickets - automated macines are needed particularly around UCC/Mardyke area. There's tonnes of parking there and now with the bikes you'll be in the city in minutes - yet there's no place to purchase a ticket in or around that area.

I've bought 5 tickets and kept them in my car which is handy but such foresight shouldn't be required - make parking tickets more available!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I use the park by phone system and parking in Cork is so easy.
    No matter how busy it is you will always find somewhere.
    If I am making a short trip I will often get a spot on Castle Street near The Roundy or else at the back of the courthouse, about as close to the city centre as you will get.
    If I'm in town for longer I'll park near the Mardyke bowling for two hours. If I need to go to the other side of town I'd park near Connolly Hall, also two hours.
    With the park magic you can just add another disc using your phone if you stay too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Pitcairn wrote: »
    No matter how busy it is you will always find somewhere.
    If I am making a short trip I will often get a spot on Castle Street near The Roundy or else at the back of the courthouse, about as close to the city centre as you will get.
    If I'm in town for longer I'll park near the Mardyke bowling for two hours. If I need to go to the other side of town I'd park near Connolly Hall, also two hours.
    With the park magic you can just add another disc using your phone if you stay too long.

FFS I forgot the last time I gave out about the lack of meters this was mentioned to me

I've a work phone but must look into this to see if it can be linked to my account/card rather than phone bill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There's way too much street parking in all Irish Cities. Cork has wasted tonnes of lovely riverside space on car parking. Same as Waterford where the river front could make a lovely pedestrian and park space, but no, parking. Dublin's quayside outside the fourcourts, parking (although it's to go in the very immediate future)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the council are looking to do something similar here with a boardwalk and park space from beamish to the clarion in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    I never once tried to park in the city and been forced to turn back for lack of a space.

I only ever drive into the city on a Saturday and I struggle to get a parking space 95% of the time, obviously this is on the main city centre streets (I think it is a given that as you drive further away from the city the chances of getting parking dramatically increases).
    Infracted wrote: »
    Always spots up the top of Patricks Hill which is free parking if you dont mind the hill.

I'm based on the south side but handy to know there are spots there, I usually end up somewhere around barrack st.
    mire wrote: »
    There is no shortage of car parking in cork city. None. There's an oversupply in fact. Your anecdote of driving into town on a saturday is exactly the point. In what type of city would you expect to be able to drive into its city cenre on a saturday and for there to be loads of on-street car parking. Just waiting for you???

There is NOT an oversupply of parking, as you have pointed out yourself I cannot expect there to be loads of parking on a Saturday. Saturday is the only day I am in the city and 95% of the time the streets closest to the city have 0 parking spaces. I can park further away and get a space (which I do a lot of the time). Simple fact is though that if there was an over supply then parking on a Saturday would be a doddle.

Pitcairn wrote: »

Can you tell me how much it costs? Is it the park magic thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I only ever drive into the city on a Saturday and I struggle to get a parking space 95% of the time, obviously this is on the main city centre streets (I think it is a given that as you drive further away from the city the chances of getting parking dramatically increases).

I'm based on the south side but handy to know there are spots there, I usually end up somewhere around barrack st.

There is NOT an oversupply of parking, as you have pointed out yourself I cannot expect there to be loads of parking on a Saturday. Saturday is the only day I am in the city and 95% of the time the streets closest to the city have 0 parking spaces. I can park further away and get a space (which I do a lot of the time). Simple fact is though that if there was an over supply then parking on a Saturday would be a doddle.

Are you serious? That's very strange logic. So, you think that there is a shortage of car parking in cork city on the basis that when you travel into the city centre on a saturday, there is no ON-STREET parking in the locations where you want to park. In summary, there is a car parking shortage in Cork, using the following criteria:

1. for you
    2. on street
    3. in places only where you want to park
    4. on a saturday

Hence, Cork city should provide additional car parking spaces, sufficient to ensure that there will always be car parking available in on-street locations in certain streets and on saturdays. And only then will Cork have sufficient car parking!

On the other had we could look at evidence rather than anecdotes. Recent surveys of a multi-storey car park in North Main Street [2 minutes from Patrick Street] suggests over 50% underuse! Many multi-storeys now offer lower rates for upper floors - suggesting major under utilisation -i.e. empty spaces. Sounds like an oversupply issue to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think maybe your expectations are tad unrealistic so. It's a little bit vague what you mean by "main city center streets" - is this Patrick Street? North Main Street? If so, you can hardly expect there to be spaces always available there. They are premium spots that will fill up first. A few spaces lost due to the bike stations isn't going to change that in any significant way.

Besides, there are loads of alternatives though in the multi-stories and plenty of streets within 5-10 minutes walk of the city center where you can get a spot. This is a non-issue IMO and a very weak argument to make against the introduction of the bike stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

I have the park magic disc. (same as a tax disc size) The same a/c also covers the toll tag in the car. You can download an app for parkmagic on the phone, and when you are parked up, can pick the location on the phone by street name, and it's taken from that one a/c. It know which streets has the 1 or 2 hours limit etc
    They also set up the a/c so it automatically tops up from your Bank a/c when it gets below a certain amount. Handy so you don't have to keep an eye on the amount in the account

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think maybe your expectations are tad unrealistic so. It's a little bit vague what you mean by "main city center streets" - is this Patrick Street? North Main Street? If so, you can hardly expect there to be spaces always available there. They are premium spots that will fill up first. A few spaces lost due to the bike stations isn't going to change that in any significant way.

Are those bike stations, like most of the others (I've not seen them all), not on the pavement? No parking spaces lost.

South Mall and Leitrim Street are the only stations in the centre that I can think of where spaces were taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

South Mall and Leitrim Street are the only stations in the centre that I can think of where spaces were taken.

UCC lost 5 or 6 spots (google.ie/maps/place/University+College+Cork/@51.893596,-8.494435,3a,75y,101.39h,79.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHLQ07cJ7pliScWCMdTIRdw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4844902380bbc323:0x4d8a4bf0835e5291) Hardly the worst but those spots were handy out if you were in a rush to a lecture. I dont know who use the bikes there now as they are right at the edge and there is another rank right outside the main gate nearer the city centre. Hopefully this means there is expansion out towards Dennehys Cross.

yeah I know those spaces well. That station is handy for people coming from Ard na Laoi or living in the the Castlewhite apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Well, the bike scheme seems popular with some people at any rate. I was watching a junkie trying to take one this morning outside the Moderne but he couldn't break the lock on it and had to give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used the bikes today on the Washington st. contra flow lane for the first time, I'd honestly have been faster walking. The bike specific lights took forever to change, and is wasn't obvious if you were supposed to push the pedestrian crossing button or not, you couldn't in most places without leaving the bike lane anyway. Next time I'll be using the mardyke instead for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

TheChizler wrote: »
    Used the bikes today on the Washington st. contra flow lane for the first time, I'd honestly have been faster walking. The bike specific lights took forever to change, and is wasn't obvious if you were supposed to push the pedestrian crossing button or not, you couldn't in most places without leaving the bike lane anyway. Next time I'll be using the mardyke instead for convenience.

Don't use it myself, cars shoot out from Little Hanover St near the Kino and they just don't expect cyclists to come from the left. A very dangerous spot, poorly marked. The contra flow lanes are poor, Probys quay is really dangerous going towards the Crawford now as cars can squeeze you close as the contra flow lane has robbed the space there.

The bikes however are fantastic. Quality amenity for locals and tourists alike to take advantage of!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

I don't suppose anyone has a geographical telephone number for the bikeshare administrators, An Rothar Nua? I used the service today, picked up bike, cycled bike to destination, put bike back, green light on stand, walked away. I got a text 2 hours after I originally borrowed the bike telling me I owed €1.50 for an overdue bike. Rang the 0818 number, was told, oh sorry about that, our mistake, you won't be charged anything. But the phonecall to correct the mistake cost as much as the overdue charge! :eek: :(

So, for future reference, if this happens again, does anyone have a landline number for them?

I did search online, but came up with nothing.

ncur wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone has a geographical telephone number for the bikeshare administrators, An Rothar Nua? I used the service today, picked up bike, cycled bike to destination, put bike back, green light on stand, walked away. I got a text 2 hours after I originally borrowed the bike telling me I owed €1.50 for an overdue bike. Rang the 0818 number, was told, oh sorry about that, our mistake, you won't be charged anything. But the phonecall to correct the mistake cost as much as the overdue charge! :eek: :(

So, for future reference, if this happens again, does anyone have a landline number for them?

I did search online, but came up with nothing.

I found the personal mobile number of one of the directors but I doubt that's useful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I found something interesting. Their 818 number is the same as this company: http://2bill.ie/contact.html so it might be payment handling outsourcing.
    Use email next time: info@anrotharnua.ie

I found the personal mobile number of one of the directors but I doubt that's useful :D

J** M**** by any chance? Might come in handy. They're still sending the text messages, am getting a tad stressed now.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    I found something interesting. Their 818 number is the same as this company: http://2bill.ie/contact.html so it might be payment handling outsourcing.
    Use email next time: info@anrotharnua.ie

Yah have fired off an email also to contact@bikeshare.ie but when you need an instantaneous response a direct phonecall is my preferred option.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Do they take the €150 deposit every time you rent out a bike?

They only take it if you lose the bike. They don't even put a hold on the money either, so doesn't affect you at all unless the bike isn't back by midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

They only take it if you lose the bike. They don't even put a hold on the money either, so doesn't affect you at all unless the bike isn't back by midnight.

Ah I see! Thanks! :)

Advertisement