Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Guys, no one seems to want to answer my original question. But after some research. For the RCSI is this the correct requirements? English, Irish, Maths, German, Chemistry all Ordinary Level with a minimum D3 and Biology Higher Level B3.

I was thinking of going back to completely resit the LC in Plunkets in Dublin. But what's the catch? Am I missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

Anyone heard anything from cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

️Haha really? I'd say that's good. What were the questions?

ya seriously! abviously not all the time but quite few times
    any way the questions were tell us who u are and why med?

is there second day of interview at trinity? or just today?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mawahip

TallGlass wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am starting to wonder about my LC results, I am not happy with them at all. In fact I am fairly certain I could easily hit around 450/500 mark. I was so lazy and had no interest in school. Now at 25 I see the bigger picture now. In IT at the moment in a helpdesk role looking into the network role, I don't think it will be for me. The thoughts of earning a place doing medicine has me excited and if I had of thought about all this in school I wouldn't be coming back 7 years later !

I spend the years from 20/23 focusing on a career in the Garda and jointing the reserves. But didn't make it to the top tier only band 2 so I have pretty much wrote that off but I still do the Reserves. Again I feel I didn't do so well as in the back of my mind if I did do well I wouldnt get in due to LC results.

Should I resit the entire exam or just take Maths and Biology for example at HL. Which I would be certain I could do well in.

hey there, sorry about the late replay, i am in no way expert but i think you should be aiming for is at least 724 point (LC + HPAT), so if you know that you can secure top percentile in your HPAT ( anything more than 220 points ) then you should be ok for your LC, but if you are not sure about that then you may want to look at the option of repeating the LC.
    TallGlass wrote: »
    Guys, no one seems to want to answer my original question. But after some research. For the RCSI is this the correct requirements? English, Irish, Maths, German, Chemistry all Ordinary Level with a minimum D3 and Biology Higher Level B3.

I was thinking of going back to completely resit the LC in Plunkets in Dublin. But what's the catch? Am I missing something.

when it comes to resitting the LC, i think the greatest outcome is the boost in points, you will be more calm and easygoing than first time sitters, also your past knowledge will give you an edge and make it easier for you to go through the year with less stress.

here is a piece taken from RCSI's information sheet for undergraduate medicine:
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS - SCHOOL LEAVERS
    For entry to the six year Medical programme CAO applicants
    must present a minimum of six subjects in the Leaving Certificate
    to include the following: Irish OD3, English OD3, Maths OD3, a
    foreign language OD3, a lab science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology,
    Physics/Chemistry or Agricultural Science) OD3 and HPAT.
    CAO applicants presenting the minimum subjects detailed above
    with Chemistry and another lab science (must be Physics or
    Biology) enter the 5 year Medical programme. A HB3 in one of
    the lab sciences or Maths must be presented as a minimum entry
    requirement.
    CAO applicants must achieve all minimum entry grades required
    and the 5/6 year Medical programme requirements in one sitting
    of their Leaving Certificate or equivalent (GCE A Level/IB). HPAT
    scores are valid for one year only i.e. 2015 HPAT score is valid for
    2015 admission only.
    As a guide, the combined Leaving Certificate and HPAT score
    required for admission to the RCSI School of Medicine (RC001)
    in 2014 was 724* (*random selection). The Leaving Certificate
    points range (nationally) was 520–625 and the HPAT score range
    (nationally) was 155 – 230

there are people here far more expert than myself so please feel free to correct me :)

Pooch88 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything from cork ?

Other than the E-mail I got 14th April that had a "fee determination" form; absolutely nothing. (excluding the open day/information evenings notifications.

I would be very happy if you shared any experience you had with them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mawahip wrote: »
    hey there, sorry about the late replay, i am in no way expert but i think you should be aiming for is at least 724 point (LC + HPAT), so if you know that you can secure top percentile in your HPAT ( anything more than 220 points ) then you should be ok for your LC, but if you are not sure about that then you may want to look at the option of repeating the LC.

when it comes to resitting the LC, i think the greatest outcome is the boost in points, you will be more calm and easygoing than first time sitters, also your past knowledge will give you an edge and make it easier for you to go through the year with less stress.

here is a piece taken from RCSI's information sheet for undergraduate medicine:
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS - SCHOOL LEAVERS
    For entry to the six year Medical programme CAO applicants
    must present a minimum of six subjects in the Leaving Certificate
    to include the following: Irish OD3, English OD3, Maths OD3, a
    foreign language OD3, a lab science (Chemistry, Physics, Biology,
    Physics/Chemistry or Agricultural Science) OD3 and HPAT.
    CAO applicants presenting the minimum subjects detailed above
    with Chemistry and another lab science (must be Physics or
    Biology) enter the 5 year Medical programme. A HB3 in one of
    the lab sciences or Maths must be presented as a minimum entry
    requirement.
    CAO applicants must achieve all minimum entry grades required
    and the 5/6 year Medical programme requirements in one sitting
    of their Leaving Certificate or equivalent (GCE A Level/IB). HPAT
    scores are valid for one year only i.e. 2015 HPAT score is valid for
    2015 admission only.
    As a guide, the combined Leaving Certificate and HPAT score
    required for admission to the RCSI School of Medicine (RC001)
    in 2014 was 724* (*random selection). The Leaving Certificate
    points range (nationally) was 520–625 and the HPAT score range
    (nationally) was 155 – 230

there are people here far more expert than myself so please feel free to correct me :)

No problem on the late reply, I honestly don't think I could get that high range in points within one year of study, two years maybe. I have been out of school way to long. Is it just basic grade in them subjects then could I add in other subject to maybe make up the lack of points?

Sure looking at the points for a OL D3 is 5 ? (actually thought this was higher)

Suppose if I got the basics that they have listed there and then try as a mature student?

Medicine aside, I am seriously reconsidering resitting the Leaving Cert. I want to go back to college (never been real college, PLC, which was great in fairness). 25 now, and feel like, giving my self such a slap across the face and kick up the arse for not putting some serious effort in when I had no worries about holding down a job and keeping the money flowing in!

I'm in IT at the moment, well just started it 6 months, but I am just finding the work at little boring and no face to face interaction with people which been honest I miss. My manager has said, I am one of her best within six months and she hopes to move me into one of the what I would call 'big boy' teams that do slightly more interesting work, configs etc..

Just don't know what way to turn, I am 25 was 17 doing the LC and time has gone so fast I don't want to sit on it anymore. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 crazystupid28

Jody what time was your interview today for TCD? Also did you have RCSI today and if so, how did it go? From start to finish mine (TCD) was only 20 mins and didn't get to say half of what I wanted. My money is on them thinking I'm a complete nutjob and I'm about 90% sure that TCD is out for me.

For those curious, the questions I was asked were:
    Tell us about your background
    Why medicine
    Why Trinity
    Tell us about your past employment
    Why would I want to start in another field when I could achieve 'so much' in the next 5 years?
    How would I go about changing someone's opinion
    Any questions for us

Some of these were specific to my CV and threw me for a loop but they were all really friendly. Also, the microbiologist asked me directly how I would be funding it so be prepared for that in the future.

All in all, a pleasant enough interview but very annoyed that I didn't get to give them everything. Live and learn lads :-)

Jody what time was your interview today for TCD? Also did you have RCSI today and if so, how did it go? From start to finish mine (TCD) was only 20 mins and didn't get to say half of what I wanted. My money is on them thinking I'm a complete nutjob and I'm about 90% sure that TCD is out for me.

For those curious, the questions I was asked were:
    Tell us about your background
    Why medicine
    Why Trinity
    Tell us about your past employment
    Why would I want to start in another field when I could achieve 'so much' in the next 5 years?
    How would I go about changing someone's opinion
    Any questions for us

Some of these were specific to my CV and threw me for a loop but they were all really friendly. Also, the microbiologist asked me directly how I would be funding it so be prepared for that in the future.

All in all, a pleasant enough interview but very annoyed that I didn't get to give them everything. Live and learn lads :-)

it was late enough! i am not going to say it, but late enough! i am generally very unofficial person and therefore made a mr bin of it hahahaha.
    i didnt have rcsi yesterday, i had it today and it was very official, serious ppl barely laugh! and mean and also knock on door too when u are in middle of talk.
    did u have your rcsi interview yesterday or is it today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,123 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jody24 wrote: »
    it was late enough! i am not going to say it, but late enough! i am generally very unofficial person and therefore made a mr bin of it hahahaha.
    i didnt have rcsi yesterday, i had it today and it was very official, serious ppl barely laugh! and mean and also knock on door too when u are in middle of talk.

Somebody knocked on the door in the middle of your presentation?
    Doesn't give much of an impression of RCSI. Did they not have signs up saying interviews were going on?

Today in RCSI. literally about to walk out the door. Jesus Christ I'm absolutely dreading this. I wanted TCD but after my sub par display yesterday the pressure is on for today. Ooooohhhh the joys...

• Advertisement

Today in RCSI. literally about to walk out the door. Jesus Christ I'm absolutely dreading this. I wanted TCD but after my sub par display yesterday the pressure is on for today. Ooooohhhh the joys...

good luck to all of us. i think this year a lot of applicants have both tcd and rcsi, which is really good. i hope things go well for all of us. now the waiting for offers to begin!!

good luck to all of us. i think this year a lot of applicants have both tcd and rcsi, which is really good. i hope things go well for all of us. now the waiting for offers to begin!!

Here's hoping :-) I don't think I can do all this again. But I say that now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I had a great interview experience yesterday. Carmen was outside the interview room keeping time and keeping anyone walking past quiet so as not to disturb those in the interview room, as well as stopping any interruptions. She then knocks on the door when your 20 minutes are up.

I had a completely different experience to you, found all staff and interviewers lovely

Healium wrote: »
    I had a great interview experience yesterday. Carmen was outside the interview room keeping time and keeping anyone walking past quiet so as not to disturb those in the interview room, as well as stopping any interruptions. She then knocks on the door when your 20 minutes are up.

I had a completely different experience to you, found all staff and interviewers lovely

i found what you are saying with trinity interviewer.
    i didnt mean that bad, but i felt better with tcd ppl!
    how do u feel about tcd interview?

I had the same experience as Healium for the RCSI interviews. Both sets of interviewers were really nice and welcoming and the support staff (Carmen and Celeste) were so friendly. Although I was told my application is intriguing so I don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. I was also told that the level of applicants this year was particularly high so massive competition. I'm going to hope for the best but prepare for the worst but congrats to everyone for getting through it.

Although like you Jody with the TCD interview yesterday, the RCSI people were laughing away today so good or bad, who knows! They could have just been laughing at my joke, cringe inducing personal statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 optimist90

Well done to all who had interviews for TCD and RCSI this week!

Does anyone know how many NUIG are interviewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

optimist90 wrote: »
    Well done to all who had interviews for TCD and RCSI this week!

Does anyone know how many NUIG are interviewing?

Expect 12-15 (last year they invited 15, but a couple didnt show on the day and ended up with about 12 people vieing for 2 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 optimist90

Caolan wrote: »
    Expect 12-15 (last year they invited 15, but a couple didnt show on the day and ended up with about 12 people vieing for 2 places.

Thanks Caolan, did you attend interviews last year if you don't mind me asking?

optimist90 wrote: »
    Thanks Caolan, did you attend interviews last year if you don't mind me asking?

Nope- I was speaking to someone who was though and they said about 12 were there in the end.

for those having interviews at both rcsi and trinity, if u get offers from both which one do u prefer?
    i am still uncertain my self! i like rcsi becuase it much more international and very mixed school, but trinity less fees!
    i know its not the time to ask this question but it would be nice to know which college we like to get in ?
    btw for those of us who are going to be successful it would be nice to write a description of statement and interview and life experiences,, etc. for next year applicants.

• Advertisement

It all depends what you want, where your located and how your transport options are.

TCD have their training hospitals in St James and Tallaght, so outside town. RCSI is Blanchardstown, Beaumont and Waterford. this could suit some more than others. The "in hospital" training is year 3/4/5 in TCD, while in RCSI you are in classes year 1/2/3 and hospitals year 4/5. Again, this suits some more than others.

Examinations in TCD are all end of year (afaik) meaning you have a big bank of exams at year end, whereas RCSI are split before Xmas/May + continuous assessment. Again, these different styles will suit people differently.

One thing to consider is that in order to get most of your placements in dublin you will need to be in top 30/40% of your class. Some believe this may be easier in TCD as your competing with indigenous students who may be a little distracted by social opportunities. In RCSI alot of the students are mature, international and very focused on their studies (it's the only reason they are here).

As for reputation, I think all hold similar reputations and at the end of the day the exams are all similar enough as its a universal qualification. Each college will have pro/cons. Which each person needs to assess. But remember it's a long course with a lot of variables, so research it well.

Based solely on fees, I'd lean toward TCD. If money were no object it'd be RCSI. Carmen let me go in to the grand hall and sweet baby Jesus it is fabulous. Plus I heard they give a decent education too ;-)

A friend of mine just finished the day before the interviews and had absolutely nothing negative to say about RCSI and he got a lot of opportunities to research and publish so I find that very appealing. Both schools have student run medical journals but TCD isn't accessible online since 2013? Although the interviewers did say that it was still going strong and was always looking for contributions.

Caolan, did I meet you before the interview? If it was you who was there when Carmen was talking about running, that was me! Internet and real life collide!!! :-)

Based solely on fees, I'd lean toward TCD. If money were no object it'd be RCSI. Carmen let me go in to the grand hall and sweet baby Jesus it is fabulous. Plus I heard they give a decent education too ;-)

A friend of mine just finished the day before the interviews and had absolutely nothing negative to say about RCSI and he got a lot of opportunities to research and publish so I find that very appealing. Both schools have student run medical journals but TCD isn't accessible online since 2013? Although the interviewers did say that it was still going strong and was always looking for contributions.

Caolan, did I meet you before the interview? If it was you who was there when Carmen was talking about running, that was me! Internet and real life collide!!! :-)

Yup - that was me! I really like the feel of RCSI too. A lot of variables between the colleges, but I hear very very little negative about RCSI.

How'd the interview go? Decisions being posted out Wednesday so most will know thurs (unless they e mail as well)

Unfortunately I was told after the interview that ill be on the waiting list :( . as I am sitting the full LC they are loath to offer me a place up front as combined with my hpat I've a strong chance of undergrad.

Anyone any experience how the wait list goes?

Ah that sucks. But at least with the undergraduate entry you're fees will be substantially lower than matures, so a bit of a silver lining.

Interviews went well (I think!) but the woman in the second room asked about my masters thesis and kinda questioned whether the data set I used was actually the dataset as that information hadn't been published yet. It was a loooonnnggg story but definitely didn't lie about it. You really never know in these situations, job interviews you get somewhat of an idea but as all applicants for med differ sooooo drastically its anyone's guess. I have a feeling it'll be a waitlist for me too.

From previous years threads and what Celeste said, the initial successful applicants will be offered a place. Then a couple of things may happen:

-Those eligible for GEM may choose that route
    -Those who initially accepted a place will decline as they got an offer elsewhere
    -Successful applicants will have to decline a place because of the lack of funds. Apparently this happens fairly frequently and they may offer places to those on the waiting list until August

If anyone has anything else or if any of that is incorrect, feel free to correct me :-)

Hello Everyone :)

Can anyone please tell me if they have applied to UCD or UCC, and weather they contacted you or not, thank you :)

and for all those waiting on the offers, hang in there, the it is a matter of few days until the big celebration :)

I've applied to both, heard nothing from either. Although last year UCC sent out the interview invites on 20/06/14 and interview was held on 27/06/14. So if they're following the same pattern as last year there will still be some waiting I'm afraid.

Check the post box- letters from RCSI arriving today. Mine was as expected, wait list.

Good luck to everyone else!!!

Outright rejection for me. Fun times all around :-) Although surprisingly I'm not actually that cut up about it? Ah well, live and learn.

i am sorry to hear that crazystupid28 and good luck for trinitys offer.
    caolan good luck with ur lc and trinity offers.

shockingly i have got my self a place at RCSI!!

• Advertisement

Aaaahhhh congratulations!!! Sincerely, you must be absolutely delighted. Nah, I don't think TCD went as well as RCSI and that didn't exactly pan out ;) Seriously though, massive congrats again. And you still have TCD to play for too so you never know!

Advertisement