Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

To be fair to Cregg, he was asked to do a thankless job yesterday, coming deep to link the play between our backs and Senan Kilbride et al. The fact that the Down lads were all over him kept him quiet and he got more than his fair share of rough treatment is testament to how highly he is thought of. He played a similar role in the first half of the game against Laois recently and didn't look up to much but rattled 3 or 4 lovely scores off in the second half of that game when he was let loose in the FF line. To suggest that he's not good enough is way off the mark IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Cregg carries the ball into contact too much, is too loose with the ball and generally doesn't do enough with it imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Generally he's been one of the best players on the team for the last six, seven years. He's proven his ability over the course of many years. Had a poor performance on Sunday but you're going way overboard on him niceguy80. He rescued us in the first Down game and that performance probably resulted in the special treatment he received on Sunday. Still was wasteful with the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

To be fair to Cregg, he was asked to do a thankless job yesterday, coming deep to link the play between our backs and Senan Kilbride et al. The fact that the Down lads were all over him kept him quiet and he got more than his fair share of rough treatment is testament to how highly he is thought of. He played a similar role in the first half of the game against Laois recently and didn't look up to much but rattled 3 or 4 lovely scores off in the second half of that game when he was let loose in the FF line. To suggest that he's not good enough is way off the mark IMHO.

Cregg is not a a full forward. He missed a sitter of a goal. I remember him in the league final last year against Cavan as well, in the full forward line. Awful he was. Pure donkey

In fact, his best work in the game was when he moved to the half forward line. The guy is a a half forward. A work horse and brilliant for linking the midfield and full forwards. Not a scorer though. Still have a vital role to play though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Cregg is not a a full forward. He missed a sitter of a goal. I remember him in the league final last year against Cavan as well, in the full forward line. Awful he was. Pure donkey

In fact, his best work in the game was when he moved to the half forward line. The guy is a a half forward. A work horse and brilliant for linking the midfield and full forwards. Not a scorer though. Still have a vital role to play though.

People have very very short memories. Cregg had a great league campaign for us, remember the 6 points he kicked v Kildare? or the 3 points he kicked and wonderful display he gave against Down in the first game? or the vital 1-1 he scored against Meath in a game which really gave us the platform to get promoted?

Some ****e gets posted on here and in the other forums about Roscommon football but calling one of our best players now and over the last 6-7 years a donkey is just spouting ****e of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

One positive from last Sunday for Ross is that they had the confidence to take off players, one who had scored 5 points and another who scored goal and 2. Vote of confidence in a panel

TimRiggins wrote: »
    People have very very short memories. Cregg had a great league campaign for us, remember the 6 points he kicked v Kildare? or the 3 points he kicked and wonderful display he gave against Down in the first game? or the vital 1-1 he scored against Meath in a game which really gave us the platform to get promoted?

Some ****e gets posted on here and in the other forums about Roscommon football but calling one of our best players now and over the last 6-7 years a donkey is just spouting ****e of the highest order

Until he was moved away from the full forward line, where he does his best work (one of the finest as well) he was a donkey last Sunday. Carrying the ball into tackles and turning it over, which he has a habit of doing, is donkey work.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    One positive from last Sunday for Ross is that they had the confidence to take off players, one who had scored 5 points and another who scored goal and 2. Vote of confidence in a panel

Most of players that were coming on we're the usual featured players. It's hard not to have confidence in players like the young Murtagh and Harney.

Connolly really put himself into contention for championship time on Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

at this stage probably 13 players are certain starters on the team if they are fit

in defence murray and stack can fill in if needed but the back 6 and goalkeeper are already set in place. we are very light (numbers wise) in midfield so not sure what we would do if higgins and especially cathal shine got injured (or both) during the championship.

up front there are a number of guys fighting over 2 starting spots. donie smith, donie shine, cian connolly, enda smith, ciaran murtagh. being one of the few senior players on the panel i can't see cathal cregg being dropped especially considering he is the only one of the forwards that can defend if the need be. cregg can be very frustrating though, he just turned 28 and needs to be a leader on the team...something he really hasn't done at championship level yet.

Until he was moved away from the full forward line, where he does his best work (one of the finest as well) he was a donkey last Sunday. Carrying the ball into tackles and turning it over, which he has a habit of doing, is donkey work.

Who the **** do you think you are calling a player who sacrifices the best years of his life a donkey, no matter what he does on the pitch

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Who the **** do you think you are calling a player who sacrifices the best years of his life a donkey, no matter what he does on the pitch

Nothing in what you said in the above highlighted statement , takes away the fact that he played like a donkey the last day, and is not suited to the full forward line. Because he is a work horse, his best position, is and always has been in the half forward line

You are clearly taking this personal, and getting thick. When you open your eyes, I clearly stated that he is one of the best half forwards around!!! Secondly, is said he "played" like a donkey. I never said that he always plays like a donkey

Who the **** do I think I am? Eh, someone who pays a good bit of money travelling to watch them play on a regular basis ! League and Championship

Waffling about sacrifice doesn't cut mustard ! You've lost the argument when you resort to that

Plenty of players sacrifice, but are still ****! Not saying Cregg is, but, he was **** for most of Sunday's game when in the full forward area, and its not the first time! Donie Shine has no pace and is basically in the team for place kicking (another bloody Derek Duggan), he did more in those few minutes on , in the full forward line than Cathal (different story when Cathal moved to his best position) He was non existent , again, not the first time when in Croke Park. But for Kilbride, they may have lost. Not good for the supposed leader of the squad.

You are not worth talking too. You have your view, I have mine; it is clear that you haven't the remotes bit of nouce to discuss something without crying

Nothing in what you said in the above highlighted statement , takes away the fact that he played like a donkey the last day, and is not suited to the full forward line. Because he is a work horse, his best position, is and always has been in the half forward line

You are clearly taking this personal, and getting thick. When you open your eyes, I clearly stated that he is one of the best half forwards around!!! Secondly, is said he "played" like a donkey. I never said that he always plays like a donkey

Who the **** do I think I am? Eh, someone who pays a good bit of money travelling to watch them play on a regular basis ! League and Championship

Waffling about sacrifice doesn't cut mustard ! You've lost the argument when you resort to that

Plenty of players sacrifice, but are still ****! Not saying Cregg is, but, he was **** for most of Sunday's game when in the full forward area, and its not the first time! Donie Shine has no pace and is basically in the team for place kicking (another bloody Derek Duggan), he did more in those few minutes on , in the full forward line than Cathal (different story when Cathal moved to his best position) He was non existent , again, not the first time when in Croke Park. But for Kilbride, they may have lost. Not good for the supposed leader of the squad.

You are not worth talking too. You have your view, I have mine; it is clear that you haven't the remotes bit of nouce to discuss something without crying

No, its that I have abit of respect for the players rather than resort to name calling them on the internet. Would you call him a donkey to his face?

And in saying that, He's had games in the last 2 years where he has looked like a world beater in the full forward line. He didn't have his best day on Sunday but we slowed the play down along the 40m line and used the handpass abit too much which didn't suit him at all.

With him and Senan in the full forward line there has been several occasions where Cregg has scored more then Senan in the league campaign.

And anyway, You say I lost this so called argument so I don't even know why i'm replying. We all pay money and don't feel the need to slate the players after he played a huge part of our succesfull league campaign. I suppose you were on Stolensheep writing Nally off after the Laois game too?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Cregg 9th top scorer in Div 2 with 2-16. He had an off day which is possible for any player, playing against a 13 man defence, but others on the team stepped up to the mark, just like Cregg did in previous matches.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    at this stage probably 13 players are certain starters on the team if they are fit

in defence murray and stack can fill in if needed but the back 6 and goalkeeper are already set in place. we are very light (numbers wise) in midfield so not sure what we would do if higgins and especially cathal shine got injured (or both) during the championship.

up front there are a number of guys fighting over 2 starting spots. donie smith, donie shine, cian connolly, enda smith, ciaran murtagh. being one of the few senior players on the panel i can't see cathal cregg being dropped especially considering he is the only one of the forwards that can defend if the need be. cregg can be very frustrating though, he just turned 28 and needs to be a leader on the team...something he really hasn't done at championship level yet.

Come on man. The days when everyone around Cregg and Seanie crumbled and they kept fighting until the final minute would fill a novel at this stage. Now they have players around them that mean they don't have to do far more work than they should have to do. The team has a lot of players who show good leadership and missing one or two of the key men no longer means a death sentence for the team - happy days.

I remember him taking an absolute battering from Armagh in 2012 and he still dragged us over the line that day. Leadership has never been Cregg's problem. Decision-making with the ball in hand would be the big thing you could be critical of at times.

Cregg is no 'donkey' in terms of scoring either, but he is very streaky and can score four or five points one day and none the next. A lot of it has to do with what he's tasked with doing in a given game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Suffering sweet Jesus and all that's holy. Kildare is a glorified satellite town of Dublin. Dublins bitch, a border County

They more or less play all of their Championship games in Dublin

Lord above. Such nastiness and it's only April....

As previously stated, a couple of years, ago Kerry moved one of their home league games to Croke Park. And they did it of their own free will. No one made them do it. Are they our bitch too? I'd certainly like to think so. Why don't you ask Kieran Donaghy that? I'll hold your coat. :rolleyes:

ProudDUB wrote: »

As previously stated, a couple of years, ago Kerry moved one of their home league games to Croke Park. And they did it of their own free will. No one made them do it. Are they our bitch too? I'd certainly like to think so. Why don't you ask Kieran Donaghy that? I'll hold your coat. :rolleyes:

When was that?
    The last time Dublin played down the country they barely got out of Longford with a two point victory.

2012. They were nice enough to come up to Dublin to clap us onto the pitch, after our AI victory over them the year before. Kerrymen. A great bunch of lads.

No need to extoll the virtues of playing in Lovely Longford btw. I'd love it if we played more games around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    When was that?
    The last time Dublin played down the country they barely got out of Longford with a two point victory.

I don't think you read his post as he was talking about Kerry playing in CP.
    BTW lads ye do know Dublin often play league games outside of CP and I think that was the original argument, league games not championship.

league games don't count really.
    every team has to play away games

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    league games don't count really.
    every team has to play away games

I agree but wasn't the original argument about where Ros play league games when the Hyde is renovated?

• Advertisement

2012. They were nice enough to come up to Dublin to clap us onto the pitch, after our AI victory over them the year before. Kerrymen. A great bunch of lads.

No need to extoll the virtues of playing in Lovely Longford btw. I'd love it if we played more games around the country.

Kerry almost play more games in Croke Park than they play in Kerry.

Was that the first game of the league series? So Kerry forfeited a home game to play in Croker?

Who wouldn't want to play in front of 30,000 in Croker Park plus against the last team to beat you?

You deny that Kildare is not Dublin's bitch?

Kieran Donaghy? Pha, a good stamp on his knees, won't be long falling on his head

You have a huge comprehension issue. Trying to invent an argument that was never made is not cool, brah.

There is a HUGE difference between Kerry and Kildare. Huge. It's insulting to intelligence to even utter the word Kildare in the same sentence as Kerry.

What is this? A rap video? This isn't a discussion on the relative merits of various counties, their chances of winning an All Ireland, or who is or is not anyones bitch. It is supposed to be an intelligent, adult discussion about where Roscommon may play their league games, if their home ground is out of commission, based on what happened with other Division One counties. If you are incapable of doing that, without resorting to insults and gangsta silliness, I'm done here. 'Fo shizzle bro?

What is this? A rap video? This isn't a discussion on the relative merits of various counties, their chances of winning an All Ireland, or who is or is not anyones bitch. It is supposed to be an intelligent, adult discussion about where Roscommon may play their league games, if their home ground is out of commission, based on what happened with other Division One counties. If you are incapable of doing that, without resorting to insults and gangsta silliness, I'm done here. 'Fo shizzle bro?

When you start talking about moving to Dublin, even though a county has a perfectly good second ground, and needs all the advantages it can get ie home ground, you are going into silly season. Not to mention the fact that there would be solid e ough alternatives like Cussack Park or Portlaoise.

When you start comparing a Connacht team (who hasn't got passed quarter finals) with a Leinster team that is essentially a suburb to Dublin and plays more of less plays the majority of its matches in Dublin anyway, or compare to Kerry who play most of its championship games in Dublin and would be obliged, as all Ireland finalists from previous year to play Dublin (and great rival that the GAA cream themselves over) in Croker to kick off a league campaign with a bang, as it would hope to attract a large league crowd, then you are getting ridiculous. It is childish. Don't be surprise that such "discussion" is responded to in the manner it deserves....

Why on earth, bar a final or championship match, would any County want to travel up to Dublin, to play a league game in front of an essentially empty Croke Park, that will only fill up with Dublin supporters 20 minutes before the Dubs take to the field for their game later?

What do you learn from playing in Croker in front of one man and his dog? (even 10,000 looks awful in Croker)

Keep well, hommie

Very little advantage in home league games, even in D1 with larger crowds (Cork the exception). This year in particular we've played far better away from home than at home, our one victory at home in the league this year being a lacklustre win over a defensive Meath team.

Still, I'd be livid if I had to travel to Dublin to see us play Mayo in anything other than a league semi or final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

just looking back and only 6 members of the 30 man panel from the last time we played london in may 2010 are still on the panel today...thats an insane amount of turnover in a relatively short amount of time for such a small county especially when you consider that squad of players were the last to win a connacht championship.

mcdermott, keenan, cregg, donie shine were all picked to start that day and higgins and ian kilbride on the bench

and its not as if it was a bunch of old players who retired either. of the players that were picked to start that day claffey was 26 at the time (so 31 now which is still young enough for a goalkeeper), domican 21, dineen 21, ormsby 22, purcell 24, paul garvey 20. on the bench were miley 22 (sub goalie), ronan brady 23, colin garvey 21, darragh hussey 23, michael killelea 23

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

keep to your own page instead of coming into the ros one trying to start scraps

It was Claffey and Miley's choices to leave the panel when both were dropped for performance reasons. I don't begrudge them because the life of an IC back-up keeper is a tough one but I don't lament them either. Honestly of those players not involved now only Dom and Ormsby (and Devanney who I assume would have been on the extended panel in 2010) would be likely to see any time - that speaks to how much the panel overall has improved since that against the-run-of-play Connacht title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

We got the kiss of death lads, John Duggan only went and made us his GAA championship tip on Today FM this morning to win the provincial championship!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭megadodge

Kevin Higgins could be out for a while with a dislocated shoulder (word has it), which is a disaster for Roscommon, as midfield is a bit hit and miss as it is. We need him badly.

Advertisement