Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NutriBullet question

Options
  • 06-05-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I had never heard about these until today (and from a bit of searching around it seems 'where have I been' as they appear so popular)

I do a lot of juicing but I am really just using a food processor. Quite a lot of work involved for, say, my juice for this week which was carrot and orange. I had to juice the oranges first then add that to the blending fixture. Then I had to shred carrots in the food processor before adding them to the blender. Then wash all of that up.

A colleague told me to get a Nutri Bullet as it would 'change my life'

Will it? :)

Also, with nutribullet can I leave the skin on oranges? Maybe just slice into quarters and blend?

Thanks
    Bananaleaf

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Leave the skin on the oranges???????

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

My brother in law has a NutriBullet and he swears it's the best thing since sliced bread. They are pricey enough but apparently worth the investment.

I bought the Elgento Ultra Blend a few days ago in Home Store & More and it was only €39.99

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/blenders+mixers/ultra-blend-21-piece-multi-blender/invt/059865

I haven't stopped using it since Sunday and I'd highly recommend it. It seems to do everything the NutriBullet does but at a fraction of the price, even though it's less powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Oh cool, I will have a look at that too.

Do you place your fruit in with skin still on?

Leave the skin on the oranges???????

*shudder*

How do you blend your oranges? Skin off then straight in? I'm tired juicing them and there is a lot of the orange I'm not eating when I do that.

Do people blend em with the skin on? That's how it looks like it's done in restaurants ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Vitamix are the dogs
    https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Blenders?COUPON=06-007702

I saw a mixer for 3000 euro
    Centrafygal juicer, its the only way to go ;-)

The vitamix will blend an iPad - see you tube for the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dd86

Check out the Nutri Ninjas. Cheaper than a Nutribullet and they're 900w compared to 600w with a Nutribullet! I swear by mine!

dd86 wrote: »
    Check out the Nutri Ninjas. Cheaper than a Nutribullet and they're 900w compared to 600w with a Nutribullet! I swear by mine!

How long have you had it ?
    I'm wondering how long they last

I've actually just reserved one of these on Argos.ie for collection tomorrow. Going to just read up about it more. Cheaper than the nutri bullet - how come?

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I've actually just reserved one of these on Argos.ie for collection tomorrow. Going to just read up about it more. Cheaper than the nutri bullet - how come?

How much for what you are buying in argos ?
    Link?

worded wrote: »
    How much for what you are buying in argos ?
    Link?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3796586.htm

It's 98€

• Advertisement

This is a review of a bullet versus vitamix

http://youtu.be/CS-hP4IXHr0

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tried using one to make a mojito in a friends house at the weekend and it was useless. My €15 lidl blender does a better job.

Well marketed gimmick IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dd86

I have mine about 4 weeks now. I freeze all my fruit and veg and it has no prob breaking it down. A Vitamix would be great if you have a spare €600 lying around!

I have mine about 4 weeks now. I freeze all my fruit and veg and it has no prob breaking it down. A Vitamix would be great if you have a spare €600 lying around!

Vitamix - Yes very expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah tbh I don't need that, the bullet and ninja do great jobs for a fraction of the price. Vitamax would be class to have though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's a different consistency to juice it's slightly thicker, tastes different but a lot quicker than juicing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleepy wrote: »
    Tried using one to make a mojito in a friends house at the weekend and it was useless. My €15 lidl blender does a better job.

Well marketed gimmick IMHO.
    Can you give more info, what you consider useless could be ideal for someone.

Did you use the nutribullet which the OP is referring to? I have never used one but have a ninja one which is similar.

What was wrong with it? and what does the cheap one do better?

If you were trying to make chunky broken ice then yes, it is certainly useless, just like if you want to make chunky veg soup it is useless since it obliterates ice & veg in a split second. I was showing some one it doing ice and they thought I was pulling some trick on them, turned it into powdered ice in 1 second. I am always making myself cold pints of water with it, drop in 2-3 ice cubes and water and you have a pint of freezing water right away.

I also have had 2 magic bullet type ones, a magic bullet and hinari brand, these are absolutely crap compared to the ninja but FAR better for crushing ice. I have some cheapo blender which is also good for that, and all the others are terrible at making powdered ice.

These are just high power quality blenders which are easy to clean, its nothing particularly new or some crazy new discovery, and because of that I certainly would not call them a gimmick.`The tv ads for some to talk an awful lot of nonsense though.

Releases "hidden" vitamins LOL

From what I've learned via you tube the ninja is one of the best bang for buck

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

I have a nutri ninja and it's pretty much the same as the nutribullet. You can watch any comparison video on youtube and they'll tell you the same. I bought a Breville Blend Active (Debenhams, Argos, Amazon) before the ninja and they're only €30. Great little things. Amazon reviews has them rated 4.7 out of 5 stars. Same mark as the nutribullet. However the blend active has a thousand more reviews.. For €30 it's a no brainer if you're looking at getting into that type of blending

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Blend-Active-Personal-Blender-White/dp/B00DGLUW4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431086284&sr=8-1&keywords=breville+blend+active

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anybody know the cheapest place for nutribullet? Cheers. Can only see it for 130 atm, hoping for 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

rubadub wrote: »
    Can you give more info, what you consider useless could be ideal for someone.

Did you use the nutribullet which the OP is referring to? I have never used one but have a ninja one which is similar.

What was wrong with it? and what does the cheap one do better?

If you were trying to make chunky broken ice then yes, it is certainly useless, just like if you want to make chunky veg soup it is useless since it obliterates ice & veg in a split second. I was showing some one it doing ice and they thought I was pulling some trick on them, turned it into powdered ice in 1 second. I am always making myself cold pints of water with it, drop in 2-3 ice cubes and water and you have a pint of freezing water right away.

I also have had 2 magic bullet type ones, a magic bullet and hinari brand, these are absolutely crap compared to the ninja but FAR better for crushing ice. I have some cheapo blender which is also good for that, and all the others are terrible at making powdered ice.

These are just high power quality blenders which are easy to clean, its nothing particularly new or some crazy new discovery, and because of that I certainly would not call them a gimmick.`The tv ads for some to talk an awful lot of nonsense though.
    Yep, I used the Nutribullet one. It couldn't crush Ice, nevermind get it to a powder. The cubes simply whirled around in the thing making noise.

My guess would be that the cutting area between the blades wasn't large enough to take the cubes. Either that, or it simply wasn't powerful enough to cut it.

It's probably grand for smoothies or milkshakes but I'd take a regular jug blender over one any day of the week. I don't see anything about the nutribullet that makes it any easier to clean, they all fit in the dishwasher and the "hidden vitamin" bolloxoloy they're using to market it would really put me off giving them my hard earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Anybody know the cheapest place for nutribullet? Cheers. Can only see it for 130 atm, hoping for 100.

I bought the NutriNinja for a friend in Argos yesterday for €100.

I've a Nutribullet myself but from what I've read they're practically the same.

Yep, I used the Nutribullet one. It couldn't crush Ice, nevermind get it to a powder. The cubes simply whirled around in the thing making noise.

My guess would be that the cutting area between the blades wasn't large enough to take the cubes. Either that, or it simply wasn't powerful enough to cut it.

It's probably grand for smoothies or milkshakes but I'd take a regular jug blender over one any day of the week. I don't see anything about the nutribullet that makes it any easier to clean, they all fit in the dishwasher and the "hidden vitamin" bolloxoloy they're using to market it would really put me off giving them my hard earned.
    It can crush ice but not the best with just ice on its own (unless the cubes are small). It's primarily used with a mix of things, like it would have no problem with ice + frozen berries or ice + liquid. Otherwise the ice will just sit on top on the blades not really going in like you saw. The thing really needs a liquid to get going sometimes.

Its definitely powerful enough, people put too much on the wattage, the vitamix has a little more than the nutribullet and less than the ninja but it is 10 times better than both.

As a user of many blenders the bullet is the easiest by far to clean and to use (that I have used), you rinse the blade for a second and its done. I wouldn't bother to use a dishwasher with it. If its one thing I hear a lot about it is how easy it is to clean. It's kindof hard to describe, the whole experience is great to me. Throw stuff in the container, screw on the blade, screw off the blade and drink from the container. Cleaning and putting it away was very fast. I bought it for my friend, she never used her other blender, now that she has this she uses it every day citing what I do above also.

Im not sure what they are at wiht the vitamin stuff, the videos by David "avocado"" wolfe are hilarious to watch, so cringey.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    I bought the NutriNinja for a friend in Argos yesterday for €100.

I've a Nutribullet myself but from what I've read they're practically the same.

Yeah they seem very similar. I only want the bullet over the ninja as I think it looks much nicer. I would get the ninja seeing as its 30e less but its sold out now, thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Interesting. Looking on youtube I see a video of a guy with that same problem, and saying it needs liquid. I also saw them mention the liquid in the ads. My ninja blender powdered it no problem

These are the nutribullet blades
    blades.png

these are the nutrininja blades
    $_35.JPG
    which look like they will stir things up a lot more inside. Some of my previous cheaper models had that same issue, where stuff just spun around, the ninja seems to pull it into the middle or something.

this guy does not actually use them but shows them

the "hidden vitamin" bolloxoloy they're using to market it would really put me off giving them my hard earned.
    yeah, I turn a blind eye to that nonsense. I also think the philips airfryer do themselves a disservice as the main complaint I see about them is that the chips do not taste like fried chips, I find it an amazing machine but is not like a deep fat fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

rubadub wrote: »
    Interesting. Looking on youtube I see a video of a guy with that same problem, and saying it needs liquid. I also saw them mention the liquid in the ads. My ninja blender powdered it no problem

These are the nutribullet blades
    blades.png

these are the nutrininja blades
    $_35.JPG
    which look like they will stir things up a lot more inside. Some of my previous cheaper models had that same issue, where stuff just spun around, the ninja seems to pull it into the middle or something.

this guy does not actually use them but shows them

yeah, I turn a blind eye to that nonsense. I also think the philips airfryer do themselves a disservice as the main complaint I see about them is that the chips do not taste like fried chips, I find it an amazing machine but is not like a deep fat fryer.

I thinka lot of people try the wrong nutribullet blade for things, I've seen ice with the milling blade etc. I certainly dont think the nutribullet would powder ice like you say as easily, however I would never use it like that.

I bought the nutri ninja a few days ago. Had already had this week's juices made so am going to use it this morning for the first time .... Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I bought the nutri ninja a few days ago. Had already had this week's juices made so am going to use it this morning for the first time .... Will report back.

You don't make juice with the blender

Sorry, I say juice, I mean smoothies.

Anyway, made one there. It was just a mix of whatever fruit I had so used grapefruit, banana, kiwi, chia seeds and one mint leaf.

Was lovely! I don't think it was any smoother in consistency compared to my blender. But definitely enormously easier to use! Only had to peel grapefruit, not juice it first, left skin on kiwi, ready in seconds and consistent in texture throughout. Only one container to clean too.

• Advertisement

But, I don't see why you couldn't make a juice with it ...

Advertisement