Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Great stuff , I would love to try the tom yum.

Thanks again

will do np

Tom Yum Soup
    (serves 2)

650ml stock (chicken or fish)
    6 kaffir lime leaves (whole)
    1 stalk of lemongrass (bashed)
    1 red or green chilli (chopped)
    2-3 mushrooms (chopped)
    1 small tomato (chopped)
    Prawns(uncooked) or chicken(precooked)
    2 tbs lime juice
    2-3tbs fish sauce
    1-2tbs palm sugar
    1-2tsp chilli in oil (paste see attached)
    2tbs coconut milk (optional)

the best brand of chilli in oil or thai chilli paste is attached. I tried many and this one is great.

just put all in the ingredients in a pot and cook it for 4-5 mins so the prawns are cooked. Sometimes i like it with coconut milk and sometimes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

CA, I just finished last nights Lamb Madras, it was fantastic. My problem is , I have a chicken korma on the go for Mrs E, who is due home later, and I guess I will be having some of that. I reckon my local takeaway will be laying staff off at this rate.

On the plus side, my sinus problem seems to have been sorted out.

Thanks again

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    CA, I just finished last nights Lamb Madras, it was fantastic. My problem is , I have a chicken korma on the go for Mrs E, who is due home later, and I guess I will be having some of that. I reckon my local takeaway will be laying staff off at this rate.

On the plus side, my sinus problem seems to have been sorted out.

Thanks again

lol the medical benefits of chilli :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just finished eating chicken korma for dinner. Dear god. It was divine. Curry Addict I might love you.

korma_zpskkplwwcc.jpg

• Advertisement

Just finished eating chicken korma for dinner. Dear god. It was divine. Curry Addict I might love you.

looks delicious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Off topic CA, you might enjoy Tom Ka Gai.
    Had it recently in an asian place. I am going to give it a lash this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
    If you have a good recipe, please post it.

Off topic CA, you might enjoy Tom Ka Gai.
    Had it recently in an asian place. I am going to give it a lash this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
    If you have a good recipe, please post it.

Sorry i haven't made it in years but this is similar and really nice ->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055808298

Thanks.
    The one I had was a clear/ greeny colour. That is the one I will try.
    I didn't get the chance this past weekend but I will the coming weekend.

Thanks.
    The one I had was a clear/ greeny colour. That is the one I will try.
    I didn't get the chance this past weekend but I will the coming weekend.

I used to make it a lot until I got hooked on Tom Yum soup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

and i thought i was good at cooking curries,tonight i made my first proper curry, had the madras and korma tonight, superb!
    thank you very much.

I had the korma again last night - love it! I made a few waistline-friendly changes with good results... I used 1 tbsp oil instead of 2, used 1 teaspoon of sugar instead of a tablespoon, and knocked the cream down from 100ml to 80ml. This is a regular in our house now, thanks CA!

I had the korma again last night - love it! I made a few waistline-friendly changes with good results... I used 1 tbsp oil instead of 2, used 1 teaspoon of sugar instead of a tablespoon, and knocked the cream down from 100ml to 80ml. This is a regular in our house now, thanks CA!

nice idea to make it less naughty if you are going to eat it regularly. Some nice variations you can try are different types of nut, like cashew nuts.

Off topic but posting back as I said I would.
    I made the thai tom ka gai that I said I would try.
    It came out awful, the cocount milk was waaaay to thick and it was almost like a bloody omelette instead of a soupy mix :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Picking up all my spices this morning. Has anyone tried doing the base in the slow cooker? Did you use the original times or lengthen them? Its the biggest pot I have so it would be easier!

Picking up all my spices this morning. Has anyone tried doing the base in the slow cooker? Did you use the original times or lengthen them? Its the biggest pot I have so it would be easier!

I have never used a slow cooker but if you can bring it to a gentle simmer, 3hrs should do it. its ready when you can stick a sharp knife into the onions with little resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I did, and I was very happy with the results. As per CA, about 3-4 hours should do it.

Enjoy....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but starting tomorrow, Aldi will have Kadai pans and Balti serving dishes for sale.
    They'll also have sauces, curries etc for sale but I doubt anyone reading this thread will need those! :p

I got a load of Balti dishes last Christmas but it'll be nice to pick up the pan.

Crap Crap my weighing scales is dead! From a google search I'm getting one garlic clove is about 6g. I'm using the standard aldi ones, they don't look huge so would 5 cloves be about right? There's no weight on the pack so I can't even eyeball it (which I can for the ginger)

Edit: I guessed :) Looked ok anyways!!

Next question (I'm all questions). I got my cinnamon sticks in eurasia and they are really long, like twice the length of a schwartz tin of spice, is it still 3 sticks for the meats? This seems like a ton given how big these are

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but starting tomorrow, Aldi will have Kadai pans and Balti serving dishes for sale.
    They'll also have sauces, curries etc for sale but I doubt anyone reading this thread will need those! :p

I got a load of Balti dishes last Christmas but it'll be nice to pick up the pan.

Bazmo bough a great curry pan in Eurasia, that might suit better and its a great price. If you check the last few pages here you will see it.

• Advertisement

Crap Crap my weighing scales is dead! From a google search I'm getting one garlic clove is about 6g. I'm using the standard aldi ones, they don't look huge so would 5 cloves be about right? There's no weight on the pack so I can't even eyeball it (which I can for the ginger)

Edit: I guessed :) Looked ok anyways!!

Next question (I'm all questions). I got my cinnamon sticks in eurasia and they are really long, like twice the length of a schwartz tin of spice, is it still 3 sticks for the meats? This seems like a ton given how big these are

garlic and ginger weigh similar by volume i think so roughly the same amount by eye should do.

I would just use one of those sticks of cinnamon....

garlic and ginger weigh similar by volume i think so roughly the same amount by eye should do.

I would just use one of those sticks of cinnamon....

Super thanks! And that's what I did alright so hopefully it's ok. Starting the chicken now

CURRY ADDICT! By jove, you've done it again. Today I made your madras recipe and served with peas and bombay potatoes. This is my absolutely favourite so far, I absolutely scarfed it. I found adding the lemon juice at the end of the cooking really finished it off perfectly.

My husband and I have discussed it and we are agreed, there is room for you in our marriage. I'll clear out the spare wardrobe tonight.

IMAG0981_zpspo2ckewy.jpg

Another thumbs up and a happy husband here! I might be absolutely wrecked from dealing with a cranky baby and cooking all day but man that was frigging gorgeous. Did the korma tonight, gonna do the rogan josh tomorrow I think!

CURRY ADDICT! By jove, you've done it again. Today I made your madras recipe and served with peas and bombay potatoes. This is my absolutely favourite so far, I absolutely scarfed it. I found adding the lemon juice at the end of the cooking really finished it off perfectly.

My husband and I have discussed it and we are agreed, there is room for you in our marriage. I'll clear out the spare wardrobe tonight.

lol, glad you guys enjoyed. that looks so tasty :pac:

Another thumbs up and a happy husband here! I might be absolutely wrecked from dealing with a cranky baby and cooking all day but man that was frigging gorgeous. Did the korma tonight, gonna do the rogan josh tomorrow I think!

glad it worked out after all the effort. at least the hard work is done and you can enjoy many nice curries from your base.

glad it worked out after all the effort. at least the hard work is done and you can enjoy many nice curries from your base.

Much less hassle the second time around! I know they are not meant to scale (I did read the thread re chilli powder etc) by just doubling but by any chance could you tell me if I need to make any amendments to scale the rogan josh or korma sauces ? Just to two people.

My husband is not a great cook at all and could never coordinate two pans at once but he does love this so I was thinking like for the korma I can have the dry ingredients for the sauce sorted in a bowl so all he has to do is heat the pan, add the dry ingredients and curry base and the precooked meats

Much less hassle the second time around! I know they are not meant to scale (I did read the thread re chilli powder etc) by just doubling but by any chance could you tell me if I need to make any amendments to scale the rogan josh or korma sauces ? Just to two people.

My husband is not a great cook at all and could never coordinate two pans at once but he does love this so I was thinking like for the korma I can have the dry ingredients for the sauce sorted in a bowl so all he has to do is heat the pan, add the dry ingredients and curry base and the precooked meats

i just cook one after the other most of the time. Once the prep is done it just takes about 7 mins to cook the second one so no biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

Hi CA, going to make u r updated base later this morning. Can I just confirm, it's definitely 16 medium onions whole?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Meself wrote: »
    Hi CA, going to make u r updated base later this morning. Can I just confirm, it's definitely 16 medium onions whole?
    Cheers

yes 16 onions for sure :)

Advertisement