Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Plug wrote: »
    Just had a look at the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). This gave me a fright, as Im already on a 457 does that mean Im out or is there a loophole?:confused:

That means the 189 is not a sponsored visa, unlike the 186/187.
    It doesn't mean that you can;t be on a 457 beforehand.

Also, 2 years on a 457 is only related to ENS transition stream. There's no need to wait 2 years to apply for Skilled Independent (189)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

Mellor wrote: »
    That means the 189 is not a sponsored visa, unlike the 186/187.
    It doesn't mean that you can;t be on a 457 beforehand.

Also, 2 years on a 457 is only related to ENS transition stream. There's no need to wait 2 years to apply for Skilled Independent (189)

It does save you the cost of doing trade recognition though. That's the bones of $2200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Slideways wrote: »
    It does save you the cost of doing trade recognition though. That's the bones of $2200

Which you need to be with the same employer for 2 years to get, then have them sponsor you.

In a lot of cases its better to just do 189.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Legend100 wrote: »
    thanks Declan,

I have the IELTS completed so that is one tick off the list. Gathering my skills assessment info at the moment so hopefully I can get that submitted in the next few weeks.

Sounds good - you are well on your way so.

Regards
    Declan

Slideways wrote: »
    No it doesn't.
    Not if you ae going for 189. You still need a skills assessment.

• Advertisement

If you decide to remain sponsored under the 457 for 2 years and after that apply for the ENS visa under the temporary stream, then you can avoid paying out for the skills assessment.

Otherwise, you will need the skills assessment for PR.
    Regards,
    Declan

If you decide to remain sponsoered under the 457 for 2 years and after that apply for the ENS visa under the temporary stream, then you can avoid paying out for the skills assessment.

Otherwise, you will need the skills assessment for PR.
    Regards,
    Declan
    He's already done two years on a 457 but said he doesn't want a ENS visa

There seemed to be some confusion in a recent post regarding the skills assessment and the ENS visa so I was correcting that rather than address the issue with Slideways - as you had already done that.

Thanks
    Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

BOOM!

189 Permanent residency completed!!

WINNER!!! :D

Just a brief timeline for anyone else who finds it useful:

IELTS Application: 03/06/2014
    Engineers Australia Application Submission: 03/07/2014
    IELTS Exam: 19/07/2014
    IELTS Results: 31/07/2014
    Engineers Australia Results: 28/10/2014
    Skill Select E.O.I: 29/10/2014
    Invitation to Apply / Application made: 14/11/2014
    Case officer / Medical Requested: 17/01/2015
    Medicals done: 18/01/2015
    189 Granted: 13/02/2015

Total end cost was in the region of £3,000 ($6,000 aud) (€4,000)

It's a bollix of a process in alot of ways but thank god it's done now! FINALY!!!

If anyone is going through this process, be prepared to wait. Engineers Australia for instance gave a maximim waiting time of 8 weeks; they took almost 17 weeks! over twice as long as they had stated - and it's no cheap service!

IELTS - work hard for them and don't take them forgranted, there's alot riding on your results and if you have to resit them it's going to cost you alot of time and money all over again.

Police checks, Submitted with my application - no dramas.

Documentation (certified copies), anything that I had certified from Engineers Australias requirements I uploaded with my appliation, everything else I uploaded a colour scan - which is fine.

Medical, done at the time of my case officers request, did them in Sydney, great system.

Lastly. Engineers Australia are a bunch of useless twats that should have their registered status removed because they are incompetent, unprofessional, useless retards. F*ck them.

Anywho, hope this is of some help to some of you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Congrats Sebastian. Glad it all worked out for you.

Shy Ted wrote: »
    Congrats Sebastian. Glad it all worked out for you.

Cheers for your help along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hey Guys

Just wanted to see if anyone has gotten PR through the ENS subclass 186 and done the process themselves?

Met with my migration agent this morning. He went through all the steps and I figure I'd like to save myself $3000 and do it myself!

What's the process like? I understand its time consuming but are there any hidden wires or is it fairly simple once you follow all the steps methodically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hey Guys

Just wanted to see if anyone has gotten PR through the ENS subclass 186 and done the process themselves?

Met with my migration agent this morning. He went through all the steps and I figure I'd like to save myself $3000 and do it myself!

What's the process like? I understand its time consuming but are there any hidden wires or is it fairly simple once you follow all the steps methodically?

I had to go through agent (186 - Employer Nominated) as work insisted and they covered most of cost. They were helpful, especially around getting all criteria spot on and refining skills descriptions to get skills assessment quickly and easily.
    At end of the day you still have to answer all same questions, get medical, get skills assessment, gather all docs and evidence of de facto and get them all certified yourself, so all they really do is collate and advise.

Handy to have if work pays but would never even consider if paying out of my own pocket (unless I had a very particular set of circumstances that needed assistance to get through immi).

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I had to go through agent (186 - Employer Nominated) as work insisted and they covered most of cost. They were helpful, especially around getting all criteria spot on and refining skills descriptions to get skills assessment quickly and easily.
    At end of the day you still have to answer all same questions, get medical, get skills assessment, gather all docs and evidence of de facto and get them all certified yourself, so all they really do is collate and advise.

Handy to have if work pays but would never even consider if paying out of my own pocket (unless I had a very particular set of circumstances that needed assistance to get through immi).

Yeah I don't see work paying the this. I had to foot the bill for the 457 visa so I don't see them changing their approach unfortunately. Think I'll give it a go

Thanks for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

What the go with getting garda clearance cert while in oz. Is it just a matter of filling in the form, scanning it and sending it to a family member at home and them taking it into the garda barracks? Or do I myself have to fill in the form and post it to Ireland to the Superintendent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

rightyabe wrote: »
    What the go with getting garda clearance cert while in oz. Is it just a matter of filling in the form, scanning it and sending it to a family member at home and them taking it into the garda barracks? Or do I myself have to fill in the form and post it to Ireland to the Superintendent?

My mother just went into the barracks and got mine. The first hadn't my middle name on it so was rejected. The second time she had it handed to her after a short wait in the reception.

The Irish mammy is hard bet for getting schit done :D

rightyabe wrote: »

As above, I filled out the form and emailed in to my Mam. She went in and they posted it to me. There was a typo on it and she went back and they re-issued. She then scanned and emailed that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ste67

I've been paid off and finish up with my current sponser457 in 2 weeks, it's the second time I've been let down by a company.

So I would like to get the 189 visa, what's the story with the application. I've started the ball rolling getting all relevant info
    But is 90 days enough time to get skills assessed ielts exam etc

If I lodge it before my 90 days do I bridge my visa

Or if I'm delayed for any reason do I need to leave here and apply from home ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ste67 wrote: »
    I've been paid off and finish up with my current sponser457 in 2 weeks, it's the second time I've been let down by a company.

So I would like to get the 189 visa, what's the story with the application. I've started the ball rolling getting all relevant info

You need to submit an EOI and wait to be invited, depending on your occupation and Points ranking will determine how long it takes to be invited. There are two rounds of invited per month, once invited you can then lodge an application for 189 and then you can apply for a bridging visa.

You need to have whatever documents to support your EOI points claim ready to go by the invite as you only have 60 days from invite to apply. The skills assessment would be the most important one and if you are relying on IELTS for points that too. If you are wanting to lodge and get a bridging visa you would need to have lined your lined up ducks in row.

It's a kind of bad time of year as they often close occupations and applications classes on the run up to June 30th

• Advertisement

Ste67 wrote: »

It depends on the skills assessment assessor. Their website will tell you sporox waiting time.

Mine took 4 weeks but some people have reported 3 months wait. But I'd like to think that if you apply for your skills assessment it should be completed withing 90 days. Slack otherwise on their behalf.

If you lodge before 90 days you get a bridging visa but same rules apply as previous 457 until the 189 is granted. You may be looking at a long time unemployed in Australia if you can't find another sponsor. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

My brother just went into the local barracks and was given another form titled "Data Protection Access Request" and Ive to pay 6.35 euro by cheque/postal order/ money order.

Is this even required? Has anyone else had to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dabser

Hey, does anyone know if a 189 visa is granted how long you have before it must be activated? like if I got it do I have to go over straight away or would I have a few months?? apologies if this has been answered, I have searched here and the official websites and just can't seem to find the answer! Thanks

Dabser wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone know if a 189 visa is granted how long you have before it must be activated? like if I got it do I have to go over straight away or would I have a few months?? apologies if this has been answered, I have searched here and the official websites and just can't seem to find the answer! Thanks

It will say on the visa grant form. Mine was granted in late January 2014 and it said I had until the end of November 2014 to enter the country. You'll have more than a few months, I thought it was a year but with me it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dabser

Brilliant, thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 swaldorf

Hi there. I'm wondering if I could ask your advice on a query I have. I am currently on a WHV (417), but I'm in the process of applying for a 189 skilled independent visa.
    I am a dentist working in Queensland. My query is regarding my partner. He is also a dentist on a 417 Visa, looking for a 189 visa. We will have both completed the IELTS next week and are in the process of our skills assessment from the ADC. I am just enquiring is it better for both of us to apply independently as we meet the requirements, or should one of us apply and put the other as a defacto? The cost of the Visa is not our main concern, but we want to guarantee Visa Approval. Can we place each other as defacto partners on each application or does that affect the application process? Any advice would be appreciated. Many Thanks. :)

swaldorf wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm wondering if I could ask your advice on a query I have. I am currently on a WHV (417), but I'm in the process of applying for a 189 skilled independent visa.
    I am a dentist working in Queensland. My query is regarding my partner. He is also a dentist on a 417 Visa, looking for a 189 visa. We will have both completed the IELTS next week and are in the process of our skills assessment from the ADC. I am just enquiring is it better for both of us to apply independently as we meet the requirements, or should one of us apply and put the other as a defacto? The cost of the Visa is not our main concern, but we want to guarantee Visa Approval. Can we place each other as defacto partners on each application or does that affect the application process? Any advice would be appreciated. Many Thanks. :)

I don't think you can place each other as defacto as well as applying independently as you can't hold two visas at the same time.
    Applying separately will add to the cost, but I don't think it would be any faster or offer a better chance of approval.

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think you can place each other as defacto as well as applying independently as you can't hold two visas at the same time.
    Applying separately will add to the cost, but I don't think it would be any faster or offer a better chance of approval.

To further from what Mellor has suggested the only reason not to go defacto is if you're concerned you may not stay together within the next two years/you may not meet the criteria.

It's cheaper to apply together with one defacto than to apply separately, but take the above into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JohnTheGreat

HI All,

I am currently working in Melbourne for an IT company working in web dev. They agreed to Sponsor me and I went ahead and went through the ACS test. I got an email back from them saying my ACS has been granted, so happy days. Now I just need to apply for the Visa.

I am wondering which visa is the best for me to apply for (single male in his mid 20's) ? lots of this info is pretty confusing and I don't want to end up applying for the wrong one. I am currently on my first year working holiday visa which ends in July.

I have been looking at the 186 visa, which looks like it suits me the best. has anybody experience with this and any advise, or just even point me in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

HI All,

I am currently working in Melbourne for an IT company working in web dev. They agreed to Sponsor me and I went ahead and went through the ACS test. I got an email back from them saying my ACS has been granted, so happy days. Now I just need to apply for the Visa.

I am wondering which visa is the best for me to apply for (single male in his mid 20's) ? lots of this info is pretty confusing and I don't want to end up applying for the wrong one. I am currently on my first year working holiday visa which ends in July.

I have been looking at the 186 visa, which looks like it suits me the best. has anybody experience with this and any advise, or just even point me in the right direction.

If you got ACS skills assessment and your employer wants to sponsor then you laughing. You can apply for a direct 186.

You employer just nominates you by registering to sponsor and officially nominating you (a few hundred $$)

You apply for 186 visa which is a permanent resident visa. You don't need an English test or anything if you are using an Irish Passport.

And for the love of God don't let them talk you into a 457 visa, from what you say you have enough for a proper visa.

Advertisement