Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railfreight

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

MYOB wrote: »
    DUTC system was used for this very purpose; there's remaining DUTC tram tracks in to one of the old Corpo depots near Stoneybatter still.

so there is!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3505668,-6.280641,3a,75y,11.11h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAGiXu4swDPAo1yfh2k6vwQ!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are also parts of the Guinness network visible. http://www.itoworld.com/map/159?lon=-6.27203&lat=53.34689&zoom=13&fullscreen=true
    ClovenHoof wrote: »
    The day will come when LUAS tracks will carry more freight than the national network. When the tram network expands it'll be used late at night for moving refuge or similar.
    The network is insufficient and can you imagine doing waste transfers from trucks to trams on-street? Too smelly / noisy and too labour intensive.

Historically, I imagine coal was delivered on the same trams that waste was collected on. I imagine that a lot of waste was burned domestically and it was the ashes that people were getting rid of - hence the term 'dustman'. Of course, this contributed a lot to the smog problem and would have killed hundred of people per year (elderly, those with asthma and other breathing problems, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Train stopped in ballyhaunis today heading west with about 4 newish looking long yellow tanks... Anyone know what these were?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pete2k wrote: »
    Train stopped in ballyhaunis today heading west with about 4 newish looking long yellow tanks... Anyone know what these were?

If they are huge big yellow boxes, it's the Permanent Way train. If it's small flat wagons, they are the pocket vans and are often out between Dublin, Waterford and Ballina.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Most likely the HOBs (ballast) as it ran from Portlaoise to Ballyhaunis last Friday.
    Pete2k wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Only got a quick look as I was passing but they looked like chemical tanks but can't be sure... they had the Iarnrod Eireann logo plastered on the side... The train entered and seemed to stop on platform 2... ok cheers guys was just curious hadn't seen this one before...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

Anyone have any details on the Friday DFDS flow from Waterford to Ballina? The last 2 weeks it has been held until Monday! Is this temporary or a permanent change?

It ran on Friday week ago abit with no containers.

Anyone have any details on the Friday DFDS flow from Waterford to Ballina? The last 2 weeks it has been held until Monday! Is this temporary or a permanent change?

It ran on Friday week ago abit with no containers.

Sorry it was Monday 26th January and Monday 9th Feb it ran on Mondays

How did the loadings look on those Mondays?
    Sorry it was Monday 26th January and Monday 9th Feb it ran on Mondays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The day will come when LUAS tracks will carry more freight than the national network. When the tram network expands it'll be used late at night for moving refuge or similar.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Zürich#Cargo_tram

How did the loadings look on those Mondays?

I don't know, I only saw the rake of CPW's in the yard in Sallypark on the Sunday. I'm going to catch it tomorrow evening so I'll post it up on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Still just a load of idle talk about what we already know and discuss here ourselves every once in a while. It also confirms IE's position of making it difficult by having higher charges than other EU countries all the while disconnecting unused freight yards and sidings.

As it is it looks like the DFDS run is in trouble with very low loadings so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

087 was on the DFDS liner today, 7 out of 12 CPW's were loaded with 3 45" container box and 8 tanks

Colmán Ó Raghallagh of West on Track confirmed that plans are under way by private investors to establish a rail freight hub in Claremorris.

That's about as brazen as it gets. Facts please.

Mr. Cunningham stated that Iarnród Éireann will soon be running a train over the Athenry-Tuam-Claremorris line in order to protect ownership of the route.

and this is suppose to be comforting to supporters of rail transport how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and this is suppose to be comforting to supporters of rail transport how exactly?

there will be no train. its disconnected at athenry, and squaters have taken bits of the line

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

01-April ??

• Advertisement

01-April ??

Posted March 5.

They have been making outlandish statements on their WRC like this for nearly a decade or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Folks - as regards the wider issue of rail-freight, just wondering if there are any new freight flows anywhere in the pipeline? As a regular lurker here I've seen various rumours mentioned but nothing really concrete.

I ask that as someone who has fond memories of enjoying the mixed freight trains going to and from Belfast on my daily commute in the late eighties and early nineties and think it is a shame to see so little of it on the modern railway.

With most of the former freight yards closed and disconnected from the network it does not look good at all. Northwall yard is a shadow of it's former self with the big gantry cranes taken down and cut up. Dundalk freight yard had its cranes face a similar fate and the yard closed.
    Adelade yard in Belfast closed, became a dumping site for scrapping of the 80 class and is now a DMU depot. North Esk yard in Cork is disconnected and planned to be sole off and office blocks to be built on it. I don't think the mine in Navan has too long left either, maybe another 10 years with current estimates until all the easy to get ore and zine dry up.

The only real recent developments were the new loading siding at Dublin port for loading the IWT liners and at Belview for the DFDS liners.

Folks - as regards the wider issue of rail-freight, just wondering if there are any new freight flows anywhere in the pipeline? As a regular lurker here I've seen various rumours mentioned but nothing really concrete.

I ask that as someone who has fond memories of enjoying the mixed freight trains going to and from Belfast on my daily commute in the late eighties and early nineties and think it is a shame to see so little of it on the modern railway.

As I am aware.....
    • Biomass trains to Ballina are a probability. This may be as much as 2-3 trains a day.
    • Additional DFDS (Belview) and IWT liner trains (North Wall) from Ballina are introduced as required. North Wall reopened Alexandra Road extension sidings in 2011; an extra siding was also laid as part of these works.
    • Additional Timber trains are called on as required as well. Having once been closed for freight, Westport was hastily reopened and is home to many timber trains as Ballina is close to full capacity. Speculation is mounting that Claremorris will have an increased role in handling should traffic increase in the Mayo region with Westport taking on all timber workings as well.
    • Zine ore from Pallasgreen to Foynes. This will require an investment to repair and reopen the line to the port. Advanced surveying for same has been done along with costings and, if given the green light, it's costs will be included with the forthcoming Limerick re-signalling and relaying project. Zinc will continue to operate to and from North Wall for the long term and won't be affected by the proposed Foynes operation.
    • Galway Port's development plan allows for a rail served terminal.
    • Rosslare Europort has long term plans for expansion which include a significant rail freight terminal.

Perennial rumours of a daily Eddie Stobart liner to and from Cork exist; however these are largely without foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Biomass trains to Ballina are a probability. This may be as much as 2-3 trains a day.

Anybody know any more, believed September 2014 was a date surrounding this for has came and gone. IE took wagons from Cork/Mallow some time ago, have they actually done anything with them yet?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anybody know any more, believed September 2014 was a date surrounding this for has came and gone. IE took wagons from Cork/Mallow some time ago, have they actually done anything with them yet?

Still under construction as it was late starting. If rail is to carry biomass it will be carried in containers and shuttled the few miles onwards to Killala by truck. Coca Cola do this as well and it works out well for them.

Something I'd like to know is where have the around 36 42ft LP flats that were in use on the IWT along with LX flats in 2011 gone to. All I see today in use are extra LX flats and the CPWs but the LPs seem to have vanished. Were they converted into extra spoil wagons?

As I am aware.....
    • Biomass trains to Ballina are a probability. This may be as much as 2-3 trains a day.
    • Additional DFDS (Belview) and IWT liner trains (North Wall) from Ballina are introduced as required. North Wall reopened Alexandra Road extension sidings in 2011; an extra siding was also laid as part of these works.
    • Additional Timber trains are called on as required as well. Having once been closed for freight, Westport was hastily reopened and is home to many timber trains as Ballina is close to full capacity. Speculation is mounting that Claremorris will have an increased role in handling should traffic increase in the Mayo region with Westport taking on all timber workings as well.
    • Zine ore from Pallasgreen to Foynes. This will require an investment to repair and reopen the line to the port. Advanced surveying for same has been done along with costings and, if given the green light, it's costs will be included with the forthcoming Limerick re-signalling and relaying project. Zinc will continue to operate to and from North Wall for the long term and won't be affected by the proposed Foynes operation.
    • Galway Port's development plan allows for a rail served terminal.
    • Rosslare Europort has long term plans for expansion which include a significant rail freight terminal.

Perennial rumours of a daily Eddie Stobart liner to and from Cork exist; however these are largely without foundation.
    jesus. a railfreight facility at rosslare europort? who'd have thought it.

Still under construction as it was late starting. If rail is to carry biomass it will be carried in containers and shuttled the few miles onwards to Killala by truck. Coca Cola do this as well and it works out well for them.
    can they not rebuild a freight only branch out to those factories or are there obstructions along the formation now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

can they not rebuild a freight only branch out to those factories or are there obstructions along the formation now?

You could do it by leaving the main line just prior to Ballina station and looping around the town. You'd have to take out half the town and various housing estates to use the old Killala alignment.

Advertisement