Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does murder interest you?

Options
  • 31-03-2015 11:12pm

As a topic, hopefully not as a pastime!

Just watching 10 Rillingron Place on BBC4, the classic film based on Ludovic Kennedys famous book of the John Reginald Christie killings.

My wife finds it a bit macabre, but have bookshelves full of books on murder. Usually historic stuff, Jack the Ripper, the Moors Murders, the Yorkshire Ripper, the William Herbert Wallace mystery, Fabian of the Yard and Charles Walton and the like. Have little interest in current one, no interest in the Graham Dwyer case for example. I like the murders of Victorian or Edwardian England, gaslight, misty streets, the hangmans noose and so on.

Ao you interested in true crime? Any particular crime, such as Jack the Ripper? What do you think draws us in? And any good book recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yep, I think it's very interesting. I like watching videos and reading articles about psychopaths and what makes a person a psychopath.

My sister is studying criminology so it's something we can chat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Definately crosses my mind some days. Most days. Okay, every day until I've had my coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yep, I think it's very interesting. I like watching videos and reading articles about psychopaths and what makes a person a psychopath.

Not on boards you can't... apparently...

No, I find dwelling on the darker impulses of humanity to be very depressing. It's enough that I'm aware of terrible crimes, I don't need to know how they were committed and how much the victim suffered and how the lives of their families were destroyed.

There's some merit in examining the motivation and mind of the killer, but poring over details of the crimes themselves is something I can't stomach and I don't understand having an 'interest' in it. In much the same way, I don't understand people with an interest in motor racing, I just don't see the appeal in immersing oneself in something so awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I could murder a dominos pepperoni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If I start watching one of those murder documentaries on Channel 5 or whichever channel they're on,I do get wrapped up in it.
    The ability to kill without feeling fascinates and frightens people I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thought this was going to be a job offer or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Yes, my mam used to buy those true detective magazines and I read them since I was a teenager. Just would buy the odd one because if i read them too much I'd get freaked out. I hate the ones that are unsolved though!

Those magazines are usually a mixture of very infamous serial killers and current american murderer's to old stories and crimes that happened in Ireland and England. Recently went to buy one and can't see any in shops? Anyone notice this? I know you can get a subscription so I might look into it if the shops aren't doing them anymore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Not murder on it's own, but psychopathic murder where people can just kill someone without even thinking about it and feel absolutely no remorse. It's scary to know that there are some people around us who basically don't share the same feelings and emotions as us that make us humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I read quite a bit on more modern murders. I'd recommend any of Philip Carlos books. The Iceman, The Night Stalker, GasPipe etc.

Some seriously messed up individuals out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Murders and executions...sorry, mergers and acquisitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its tragic that the man who promote give peace a chance was murdered.

Avoiding it interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Candie wrote: »
    No, I find dwelling on the darker impulses of humanity to be very depressing. It's enough that I'm aware of terrible crimes, I don't need to know how they were committed and how much the victim suffered and how the lives of their families were destroyed.

There's some merit in examining the motivation and mind of the killer, but poring over details of the crimes themselves is something I can't stomach and I don't understand having an 'interest' in it. In much the same way, I don't understand people with an interest in motor racing, I just don't see the appeal in immersing oneself in something so awful.

What is so awful about motor racing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

not murder as such, but there's something about kidnapping cases - e.g. the finding of the three women kept captive in Cleveland for ten years, found a couple of years back and other similar cases - that really intrigues me, and has me interested in reading up more about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I am fascinated by some unsolved cases like Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac Killer and the Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills for example ......... also quite interested in what makes serial killers tick.
    Also have a big interest in organised crime and gangs like the Mexican Mafia, the Aryan Brotherhood, the Crips & Bloods, the Colombian Cartel and the Italian American Mafia ........ and of course the Big Daddy of all Gangs, Boards Mods! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mickdw wrote: »
    What is so awful about motor racing?

Guy Martin's fookin' booger-grips, laaak!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yes, I have a good few books on serial killers etc. I find that stuff fascinating.

How a person's mind can get so warped and ultimately do such awful things and what drove them to commit such acts - it's a deeply interesting subject, the inner workings of the human mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nope. In literature it's fine, but true-life cases aren't really a subject that interests me. I suppose like anything else there's a saturation point you reach where you become desensitised to the horrors of it.

I'm kinda thankful I may never reach that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Yea its great altogether. Gets me out of the house meeting new people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

No....it's in all of us. The bigger end - Stalin, Hitler, Mao etc. do fascinate me.....only so much as they could convince nations / empires to go along with their murderous intent.
    ...and sure, whodunnits like Jack the Ripper are always good for popcorn.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I am fascinated by some unsolved cases like Jack the Ripper, the Zodiac Killer and the Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills for example .......

Yeah, some of the unsolved ones are particularly interesting, like the "who put Bella in the Wych Elm" case...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_put_Bella_in_the_Wych_Elm%3F

Or the Beaumont Children Mystery...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont_children_disappearance

Or the Green Bicycle Case...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bicycle_Case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I do watch them from time to time. Found that movie this evening v interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

It does interest me. The thing of taking a life for whatever reason is intriguing. Jack The Ripper and other murders where the assailant has never been identified are heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Mars Bar wrote: »

Have you read "the wisdom of psychopaths"? Personally found it very enlightening and somewhat self-revelatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I love a wee game of cluedo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Whiskey Nose 14

Really interests me and took it up only recently.......................................................on grand theft auto

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Love all criminology, especially Irish crime. The westies, IRA, drug gangs and all the other well known criminals.

The green river killer was my favourite murder book though.A particularly evil string of murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

What do you call two crows sitting on a bench?

Attempted murder.

Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Quite the opposite. I find survival stories fascinating. The will to survive can be truly awe inspiring. From emaciated climbers crawling into a base camp with a broken leg who should have died from starvation and cold days earlier to Tom Crean embarking on epic rescue missions across blizzard blasted Antarctica to a 13 year old Jewish girl smuggling weapons for resistance fighters in Nazi occupied Poland.

Inspirational.

Advertisement