Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would put little or nothing down to rugby being played in the school.CBS lost a B final and lost an A semi final after ET in 97/98 and Rugby wasn't being played in the school.
    I would nearly say rugby being played would be detrimental to the football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I wouldn't expect there to be many given one is a Junior team and one is a senior team.

My point is that the lads in 5th/6th year now would have benefitted from playing a bit of rugby in 2nd and third year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

yabadabado wrote: »
    I would put little or nothing down to rugby being played in the school.CBS won a B final and lost an A semi final after ET in 97/98 and Rugby wasn't being played in the school.
    I would nearly say rugby being played would be detrimental to the football team.

I was in the school in 97/98.
    I was in Croke Park that day.
    B division is lower than A.
    I don't see how it's detrimental.
    At that age, lads should be playing multiple games

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was in the school in 97/98.
    I was in Croke Park that day.
    B division is lower than A.
    I don't see how it's detrimental.
    At that age, lads should be playing multiple games

Obviously B is lower than A and it was two different years.
    B final in 97 was in Croker and A semi final 98 was in Clones.
    A missed penalty cost the CBS a place in the A final in 98.So very little difference between the standard in 98 and the standard of today's team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

gosh, they are all coming out of the woodwork now.

The fortunes of the CBS have always been linked to the county
    that was a great team in 1998, super victory v Jarlaths and that was a classic match in Clones that they should never have lost.
    the 1998 team was a very attacking team. they provided the impetus for a Connacht U21 title in 1999 and Connacht senior in 2001.
    still though, you have to play to your strengths.
    the CBS team that won the B All Ireland in Mullingar two years ago was a good team as well, which backboned the county minor and U21 team for the last few years.

looking forward to April 11th now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Syferus wrote: »
    You do that against Mayo, not Galway. Galway have struggled more than we have since the turn of the decade. It's a local derby with huge significance for two young teams but markers for Connacht titles won't be set in a game like this. There's only one team you can do that against and it's the 46 time champions.
    FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I knew Alan Dillion was ancient but I didn't know he was that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Plan B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

What we want is wins for Laois, Roscommon and Cavan: result.
    Highly unlikely but you never know.

Cavanman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If I'm not mistaken did Galway score 6 pts on the trot to win that game ?

Not good from Ros when ye had your promotion in your own hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Still in Roscommon's hands pretty much. Chances are, if they beat Westmeath they'll go up. If Meath and Roscommon win, Roscommon will go up on head to head. If Cavan beat Meath, Roscommon only have to beat Westmeath by 3 points more than them to go up.
    Cannot see Roscommon losing to Westmeath. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Indeed, out scored by 1-10 to 0-2....

Still plenty for Roscommon to do if they want to be realistic about August football.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We just seem to have a mental block about us when it comes to Galway and Mayo, nothing new. Would be reasonably confident about beating Westmeath to go up but hard to know for sure. If we cant beat Westmeath we don't deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Still in Roscommon's hands pretty much. Chances are, if they beat Westmeath they'll go up. If Meath and Roscommon win, Roscommon will go up on head to head. If Cavan beat Meath, Roscommon only have to beat Westmeath by 3 points more than them to go up.
    Cannot see Roscommon losing to Westmeath. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last time Cavan and Meath played in Navan, Cavan won by six points. There's a lot to play for now.

Didn't expect that slip from Roscommon today.

Jampip wrote: »
    Last time Cavan and Meath played in Navan, Cavan won by six points. There's a lot to play for now.

Didn't expect that slip from Roscommon today.

It was more of a collapse than a slip!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

spiralism wrote: »
    We just seem to have a mental block about us when it comes to Galway and Mayo, nothing new. Would be reasonably confident about beating Westmeath to go up but hard to know for sure. If we cant beat Westmeath we don't deserve it.

I was hoping some of the younger players wouldn't, many of our underage teams have beaten Mayo and Galway, and in their backyard sometimes.

Every team in the division has something to play for on the last day, 5 for promotion and 3 for relegation so anything could happen yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Did Roscommon play their U-21's today?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Terrible stuff today, three it away, galways arent even good, we thought we had it won rubbish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

Well, if you had asked at the beginning of the year, would you be happy to survive in Divison two most would be delighted. That seems secure.

What is it about Galway and May? Over the past twenty years, in league and back door championship Roscommon, home and away can beat some of the "big teams" yet, always struggle against our neighbours. Even freaking Leitrim have given us a fright.

Beating Galway was more than just two points though.they absolutely capitulated. Same with Mayo in 2012 and last year. Should have put those two Mayo teams to the sword.

Derby with Westmeath, anythings possible there. Neither team will fear each other

Hopefully this loss is a blessing in disguise in the long run, like last year, the win -loss ratio is solid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Terrible stuff today, three it away, galways arent even good, we thought we had it won rubbish

Stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

crusier wrote: »
    It was more of a collapse than a slip!

In fairness what Galway did last week against Laois at home was worse.

It wasn't great alright but I reckon if you added in the corofin players to the teams that lost the 3 matches its likley they would have been diffirent results and would be promoted at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Its worrying that twice we've been in great positions (against Cavan and Galway) and have little to show for it. Hopefully these wrongs are being written now but I do worry that we still have that mental blockage playing teams that are traditionally better then us. Especially at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

if you had been told at the beginning of the league campaign that ye would lose to Laois, lose to Galway at home and also only get a draw at home to Cavan, you would have put the house on Roscommon being relegated

Fair play, wins away to Down and Kildare (and home win against Meath) shows theres plenty of promise in that Roscommon side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

if you had been told at the beginning of the league campaign that ye would lose to Laois, lose to Galway at home and also only get a draw at home to Cavan, you would have put the house on Roscommon being relegated

Fair play, wins away to Down and Kildare (and home win against Meath) shows theres plenty of promise in that Roscommon side.

That is the frustrating thing , beat Down on their turf and beat Meath and Kildare (over hyped yes, but "big teams")

I can live with loosing to Laois due to time off and Laois being capable of causing contender teams serious hassle during a league campaign. But, Galway with a weaker team? Bha. Cavan draw was disappointing it was the first game

Never the less, we got points in games we were probably not expected to get

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Well, if you had asked at the beginning of the year, would you be happy to survive in Divison two most would be delighted. That seems secure.

What is it about Galway and May? Over the past twenty years, in league and back door championship Roscommon, home and away can beat some of the "big teams" yet, always struggle against our neighbours. Even freaking Leitrim have given us a fright.

Beating Galway was more than just two points though.they absolutely capitulated. Same with Mayo in 2012 and last year. Should have put those two Mayo teams to the sword.

Derby with Westmeath, anythings possible there. Neither team will fear each other

Hopefully this loss is a blessing in disguise in the long run, like last year, the win -loss ratio is solid

The one thing I'd say about Westmeath is that they'll be difficult to score against. Cavan only managed 4 points against them with the wind on Saturday evening. We didn't play well and don't have a good full forward line but they were very solid defensively with numbers back.

I've been keeping an eye on all the Division 2 individual team threads and read on plenty of them that this team is "terrible" or that team are "atrocious".

The bottom line IMO is that you have the top six/seven teams in the country (Dublin, Cork, Kerry, Donegal, Tyrone, Monaghan, Mayo) but after that, anyone can beat anyone in the next grouping on any given day. That's just the way it is. It's why Division 2 is as tight as it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blowitupref

crusier wrote: »
    It wasn't great alright but I reckon if you added in the corofin players to the teams that lost the 3 matches its likley they would have been diffirent results and would be promoted at this stage!

By all accounts Sice,Lundy were subdued yesterday while the main men were Conroy,Comer and O'Griofa all who played last week against Laois.

Galway were favourites for promotion no getting away from how much they have underachieved in the league again. I'm sure Galway would gladly swap yesterday win to be in Roscommon position in the table and knowing they are likely one win away from promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

don't forget Laois gave roscommon a bit of a lesson a few weeks ago yet kildare, westmeath, cavan, beat them funny league with no realy form team in it,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

By all accounts Sice,Lundy were subdued yesterday while the main men were Conroy,Comer and O'Griofa all who played last week against Laois.

Galway were favourites for promotion no getting away from how much they have underachieved in the league again. I'm sure Galway would gladly swap yesterday win to be in Roscommon position in the table and knowing they are likely one win away from promotion.

Indeed, they were subdued. However, their presence actually made a difference. It brought depth to Galway's panel. Also, Liam Silke was MOTM on GBFM.

Maybe you are right and read somewhere that Galway were favourites for division 2 before it started. I would love to know who made them favourites though. Galway had not done anything before the league to suggest they were favourites, an average FBD campaign followed a very average championship last year. Furthermore, they were missing a very sizable Corofin contingent. Believe me, no true Galway football fan considered them as favourites for this division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Westmeath were a disaster in Division 1 last year. They lost all of their matches and their average margin of defeat was 10 points per game. If you've any business going up to the top division and expecting to be competitive you really need to be beating them out the gate.

Advertisement