Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway Bay Breweries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

drumswan wrote: »
    GBB dont have a monopoly on craft beer you know.

In this thread they do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

And we dont have enough craft beer bars in Dublin. Theres only about six or seven decent ones.

wha?

GBB x 5
    Porterhouse x 3
    LMG
    WJK
    Cassidys
    PMacs
    Bull & Castle
    57 Headline
    JWS
    Beer House
    O'Neill's

And a plethora of other pubs where you can get craft beer alongside macros

I'd like to know which of the above you'd be considering not to be decent.

Myself, I have reservations about the PHN, but I've been in the rest of them and wouldn't not go back to any of them.

jaysis, speaking of GBB and monopolies, where the hell is Seaneh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Banned for good I think

fock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

fock

His near fanatical advocation of all things GBB was inevitably going to calls for his head due to blatant shilling. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I doubt it was GBB related, I'd say it was more to do with anger issues, or at least that's what it was last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

GBB x 5
    Porterhouse x 3
    LMG
    WJK
    Cassidys
    PMacs
    Bull & Castle
    57 Headline
    JWS
    Beer House
    O'Neill's

Yeah.

My heart bleeds for ye poor unfortunate people...

No choice at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If Athlone get relegated...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

wha?

GBB x 5
    Porterhouse x 3
    LMG
    WJK
    Cassidys
    PMacs
    Bull & Castle
    57 Headline
    JWS
    Beer House
    O'Neill's

And a plethora of other pubs where you can get craft beer alongside macros

I'd like to know which of the above you'd be considering not to be decent.

Myself, I have reservations about the PHN, but I've been in the rest of them and wouldn't not go back to any of them.
    Im not saying I wouldnt drink in them, Im saying there is room for more really decent craft beer bars (bars where the beer is the focus, not just places that sell craft beer). Especially on the southside.

You left out The Norseman (strongest tap lineup in Dublin?), Alfies and The Taphouse btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

And we dont have enough craft beer bars in Dublin. Theres only about six or seven decent ones.

Everywhere could do with more but especially somewhere like Limerick which has just one now. Galway city centre could do with another couple as well, help with competition and give us craft imbibing folk more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Everywhere could do with more but especially somewhere like Limerick which has just one now. Galway city centre could do with another couple as well, help with competition and give us craft imbibing folk more choice.
    Theres money in it. Someone from Limerick could open one instead of waiting for GBB to come in and do it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt it was GBB related, I'd say it was more to do with anger issues, or at least that's what it was last time.

Ah I know. He got very wound up over other issues.

Still, for old time's sake, in case he's lurking... Hey Seaneh, GBB are useless!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah I know. He got very wound up over other issues.

Still, for old time's sake, in case he's lurking... Hey Seaneh, GBB are useless!! :D

Ah, now, not useless - but what a bunch of price gougers ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

New location just announced: The Rathgar, which I believe is in Rathgar. It used to be The 108 before it was knocked and rebuilt a few years back.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    New location just announced: The Rathgar, which I believe is in Rathgar. It used to be The 108 before it was knocked and rebuilt a few years back.
    Can anybody confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can anybody confirm this?

The leap is simply too great. It's still too early to tell.

Yet another Dublin Premises on the horizon.

Small boozer over by Christchurch called Ryan's has been added to the ever-expanding GBB operation.

No food will be on offer, it's a small enough boozer, but decent.

That's a nice bar actually.

I'd say the B&C are only delighted with the news.

Damn these unscrupulous pub chains taking over our pubs and killing the traditional Irish boozer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's a nice bar actually.

I'd say the B&C are only delighted with the news.

It's as close to the B&C as Th* N*rsem*n is.

Also, if it whips the B&C into shape then it's a good thing - I was in there just after Xmas and they had no IPA on tap :eek:

In fairness, on Saturday they did have Gasman - which is a beautiful beer.

and at €6.50 a pint is amazing value (7.x%)

It's as close to the B&C as Th* N*rsem*n is.

Eh, no it's not.

I know Ryan's, was in there once. Never went back. It was one of those pubs advertising €3 pints at the door, though no sign of it once you got in. Cosy place too.

I wonder will this be the cask and whiskey bar that was talked about last year but never appeared.

Due to open mid-April, and will be called The Beer Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Due to open mid-April, and will be called The Beer Market.

They also mentioned they're going to be doing something different than the rest of their pubs.

Maybe one with cheaper prices :P.

In all seriousness though, it might be only their own beers on draught.

It's a small enough boozer.

No food? Shed loads of Casks? Would that even work in Dublin once the novelty wears off, it's out past the B&C, so location is fairly Southside-centric - for example, if I want to go to a GBB pub, I have the Black Sheep and Brew Dock closer to me, and if I want well maintained cask, LMG is where I'd head (or BD to be fair)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Desperate Mile, a US hopped sour is being released this week. Deliveries starting tomorrow. Sour is the new IPA don't ye's know?

11057945_661406040652831_2291975545805424040_n.jpg?oh=7e5d83d52dd8bd26a5c8e8898c3b425c&oe=55B2340C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kind of makes sense a little bit, with the dollar hitting parity I'd imagine we'll see less hop bombs from ireland breweries and more stuff like sours etc.

Saison is the new IPA, Sour is the new Saison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭St. Lupulin

kind of makes sense a little bit, with the dollar hitting parity I'd imagine we'll see less hop bombs from ireland breweries and more stuff like sours etc.

:(

Damn you Belgium and you're horrible beer styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Oh yes, sour beers, probably the oldest beer style there is, is just a modern hipster bait.

I for one am happy that there is going to be a wider range of different beer styles made in Ireland, and don't care about what trend is trending what #trend. If the #trend makes it possible for me to enjoy better and more varied beers, it's a winning outcome for me.

Hopefully that'll be the first decent Irish sour I get to try. If we start getting more BA beers and sours around, we'll see even more price gouge blaming on here, so get yer pop corns ready!

snowblind wrote: »
    Oh yes, sour beers, probably the oldest beer style there is, is just a modern hipster bait.

I for one am happy that there is going to be a wider range of different beer styles made in Ireland, and don't care about what trend is trending what #trend. If the #trend makes it possible for me to enjoy better and more varied beers, it's a winning outcome for me.

Hopefully that'll be the first decent Irish sour I get to try. If we start getting more BA beers and sours around, we'll see even more price gouge blaming on here, so get yer pop corns ready!
    And proper order too. Sure aren't they saving money on the yeast?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

And proper order too. Sure aren't they saving money on the yeast?!

True wild beer are a different breed, you can by may of the sour bug mixes to produce pseudo Lambics (plambic) Flemish reds etc

Berliner weisse are probably the easiest to replicate as the grain has all the lacto and souring can be done on the mash tun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's a small enough boozer.

No food? Shed loads of Casks? Would that even work in Dublin once the novelty wears off, it's out past the B&C, so location is fairly Southside-centric - for example, if I want to go to a GBB pub, I have the Black Sheep and Brew Dock closer to me, and if I want well maintained cask, LMG is where I'd head (or BD to be fair)

It's a little close to me than those other bars you mention and that's not mentioning Alfie's, the Headline and ATG as well. Even then, it will want to be something pretty special to get me in the door compared to the other guys.

what on earth
    It will be Irelands first vending machine boozer. No actual bar staff (just a bouncer on the door checking ID) & 10 vending machines with craft cans from around the world. All at 3.50e a pop.

Technically its not a food bar but there will be a vending machine with mccains micro chips.

What happens with the whole "not allowed to serve drunks" thing?

It's a genuinely innovative idea, but is it doomed to fail?

what on earth

Haha. That's mad. So it'll be an off licence then?

Prices may be a bit on the steep side though.

Where is that quote from?

Edit: never mind, it's from Beoir via someone pretending to be one of the brewers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

what on earth

If this is true there would still need to be staff to keep an eye on things, restock the machines, provide and wash glassware (if this is provided).

• Advertisement

Sorry yeah, Beoir, it was sent to me in an email from my brother who saw it on the Beoir site.

I was too lazy to find the link :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

That seems like a strange idea. I'd assume you'd need a few staff but they would be just there to clean up spills / empty cans and restock the machines.

Also could this indicate that Galway bay are planning on getting a canning machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,264 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It reads like a pisstake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Doubt it will work here but I was fascinated by them when I was last in Tokyo...

489007303_640.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It's an early April fools :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snowblind wrote: »

Even when no one complains about price, you still complain about people complaining about price?????
    Voices in your head?

• Advertisement

Even when no one complains about price, you still complain about people complaining about price?????
    Voices in your head?
    Eh? I don't think you need to look far being in this thread, it's a mantra of sorts around here. You see now you're complaining about complaining about complaining....so what's up with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Is it just me or is it getting meta in here?

Back on topic please ladies

Because ladies are....what...I don't get it. I think ladies are great.

Anyone seen the sour in off licences yet? I have a good feeling about this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just bought a bottle in DrinkStore.

• Advertisement
Advertisement