Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

I've just ordered an 0806 from gearbest.com €111.25, so we'll see how it goes,

site looks decent enough and has plenty of positive reviews

I got one from them last week for €108.02 it was stopped by custom and
    had to pay €30.92 more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fabsoul wrote: »
    had to pay €30.92 more.

bummer!

how long did it take from order to delivery? How did you have to pay the extra €30.92?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

my revised wiring, the black taped up bit is the cig lighter i ordered, 5v @ 2A, mini usb to the cam.

Can tuck that up behind the roof lining and just a single wire to the dash cam.

20150312_153728.jpg

Has anyone got the 0806 ones?

Hachiko wrote: »
    Has anyone got the 0806 ones?

I ordered one last week from Gearbest.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I ordered one last week from Gearbest.com

I bought a dvr camera off them and it was a dodgy rip off.
    Now that one may be ok the 1 I got was a different one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I bought a dvr camera off them and it was a dodgy rip off.
    Now that one may be ok the 1 I got was a different one.

That's unusual for gearbest, they're renound for having genuine sj4000's and xiaomi products - are you certain its fake?

new and improved wiring, quite pleased. Will leave it do its thing and enjoy my driving

20150315_145640.jpg

20150315_141929.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi folks,

a colleague asked me to hunt down a decent dashcam but ideally need it before the weekend. Price: Max 200€.

Recommendations please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Halfords sell a range of them. http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras

I imagine they could be got cheaper online but possibly not by Friday.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Halfords sell a range of them. http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras

I imagine they could be got cheaper online but possibly not by Friday.

Cheers vic, had seen their offerings but they all seem to have the hideous suction mount. Was ideally looking for something neater.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume OP is only looking where to pick one up in Dublin somewhere. Ordering online may take longer than 4 days.

biko wrote: »
    I assume OP is only looking where to pick one up in Dublin somewhere. Ordering online may take longer than 4 days.

Not if you use the quicker shipping options. Forgot to mention that.

fabsoul wrote: »
    had to pay €30.92 more.

Had my 0806 delivered today, no customs, no nothing, just a knock on the door from the postman, here, heres your new camera.

Yep, that was the plan biko. The Halfords offerings are all suction. Was looking at this: http://dashcams.ie/smartcam-blackvue-dr380-hd/

Not sure of where they're based though.

Typical short notice request from a mate for his daughter.

Looking at Amazon express post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

dodzy wrote: »
    Yep, that was the plan biko. The Halfords offerings are all suction. Was looking at this: http://dashcams.ie/smartcam-blackvue-dr380-hd/

Typical short notice request from a mate for his daughter.

Looking at Amazon express post too.

They all use suction mounts, including that one "The on-board camera comes with an extra-strong suction mount for the windscreen" how else do you expect them to be mounted to a windscreen?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They all use suction mounts, including that one "The on-board camera comes with an extra-strong suction mount for the windscreen" how else do you expect them to be mounted to a windscreen?

I'm on my second E-Prance dash cam now and neither have used suction mounts,

they've both used sticky foam pads (which work very well)

These look like they use the same sticky pad

header.jpg

I'm on my second E-Prance dash cam now and neither have used suction mounts,

they've both used sticky foam pads (which work very well)

These look like they use the same sticky pad

header.jpg

you are correct sir ;)

The eprance looks good but I'm just waiting on these dashcam guys to get back to me. Just inside his budget. Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

Cheers Biko,

I live on Adverts ;)

Had seen them yesterday evening.

Going to go for the Halfords Nextbase 402G - excellent reviews and he feels that the added screen is a bonus gimmick she will approve of.

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras/nextbase-incarcam-402g-professional

Anyway, that's me off the hook, cheers lads. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Had my 0806 delivered today, no customs, no nothing, just a knock on the door from the postman, here, heres your new camera.

What's the 0806 like? I have the first eprance 0801 so I was thinking of using that as a rear cam and the 806 as my front.

EazyD wrote: »
    What's the 0806 like? I have the first eprance 0801 so I was thinking of using that as a rear cam and the 806 as my front.

Thats exactly my plan, been using an 0801 since January, and love it, Had an itch for more so went for an 0806 so I could have a 2nd rear facing camera (so thats where the 0801 will go).

I put it in the car today, but haven't had the chance to test it yet, but will be heading up to the shops later so it'll get its first test drive then. I did record a 1 minute after positioning it while the car was stationary, and I have to say the picture looks impressive (birds flying in the distance came through really clear).

EazyD wrote: »
    What's the 0806 like?

So far so good, I'm still experimenting with it, using different settings/resolutions etc..

I had a 64GB (class 10) card in it and was getting some write errors, so as per the instructions, formatted the card to Fat32 on my mac, and it didn't really help the situation, (some video clips were coming in in audio only, and when the video did record, there would be glitches in it from time to time) I had a quick look online, and people are saying 32GB cards are still the best, so I took one of my 2 32GB (class 6) cards I was using in the 0801 and voila, it worked perfect, seamless video over multiple clips. Probably didn't need to buy the 64GB card, I guess I only bought it because the camera supports up to 128GB, but for me, like with the 0801, 32GB is more than enough (5+ hours recording at full resolution)

Went for a proper drive today so had about 30 3 min clips to look through, and one thing I noticed straight away was the improvement in sound quality that the camera records (although this is pretty useless in a dash cam). I used the CPL filter for the first half of the drive (sun was shining), and removed it for the way home (no sun, and to be honest, didn't really notice it doing any good, so I don't think I'll bother with it.

I'll be trying different settings over the next few days to determine whats the best video resolution to set it at, as from looking online, theres no definitive settings people would recommend. I think its a case of whatever works best for you (and the card your using).

I wouldn't say it's a million times better than the 0801, but it does seem a bit better than it, I'm hoping it will be a lot better once I've found the best settings to use it at. and shall report back my findings.

I have a 128gb car and use the highest resolution, the quality is very good. Day or Night.

it is small and unobstructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

So far so good, I'm still experimenting with it, using different settings/resolutions etc..

I had a 64GB (class 10) card in it and was getting some write errors, so as per the instructions, formatted the card to Fat32 on my mac, and it didn't really help the situation, (some video clips were coming in in audio only, and when the video did record, there would be glitches in it from time to time) I had a quick look online, and people are saying 32GB cards are still the best, so I took one of my 2 32GB (class 6) cards I was using in the 0801 and voila, it worked perfect, seamless video over multiple clips. Probably didn't need to buy the 64GB card, I guess I only bought it because the camera supports up to 128GB, but for me, like with the 0801, 32GB is more than enough (5+ hours recording at full resolution)

I wouldn't say it's a million times better than the 0801, but it does seem a bit better than it, I'm hoping it will be a lot better once I've found the best settings to use it at. and shall report back my findings.

Did you try partitioning the 64gb card in two?

Could be worth a try.

Also
    Hopefully the heating issue with the 0803 will be sorted in this one.

Hachiko wrote: »
    I have a 128gb car and use the highest resolution, the quality is very good. Day or Night.

it is small and unobstructive.

is this in an 0806?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The battery in my 0801 is knackered already.
    Think I have it about a year.
    Barely lasts a minute now so makes it awkward to find and lock a clip.

The battery in my 0801 is knackered already.
    Think I have it about a year.
    Barely lasts a minute now so makes it awkward to find and lock a clip.

What size card are you using? I always find with the 32GB card, 5+ hours is more than enough time for me to get home and review/save the clips onto my computer.
    When I got my 0801 I bought 2 32GB cards so I could swap them out if/when I needed, meant I could always bring the card in with me after an eventful day, and even if it took me a few days to get round to it, I'd have the other card in the camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

What size card are you using? I always find with the 32GB card, 5+ hours is more than enough time for me to get home and review/save the clips onto my computer.
    When I got my 0801 I bought 2 32GB cards so I could swap them out if/when I needed, meant I could always bring the card in with me after an eventful day, and even if it took me a few days to get round to it, I'd have the other card in the camera.

I have a 32gb card, I just found it convenient to review and lock a clip through the device. I only like to take the camera or card out of the car occasionally. It's not a major issue but still worth a gripe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement