Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

J o e wrote: »
    Any chance of sorting out the lower case "s" in the merged thread title? *twitches*
    Done.

Bloody OCD infested, grammar Nazis...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Looks amazing. Wire free wireless charging. Best low light pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Really impressed with it,the edge Intrigues me more so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

It seems a very iPhone 6 inspired design. Not mad on the look of it to be honest. Looks a bit cheap, especially the white imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭darg

No microSD slot - dealbreaker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I like it, nice premium look to it.
    I'll certainly be giving it a go.

darg wrote: »

Go for the 64GB version, no need for SD card slot then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Not for me the 64gb It's more than enough can't wait to get my hands on the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

Go for the 64GB version, no need for SD card slot then.

what about when this dies and you want to move to the s7 sledge.... SD cards are handy for continuity between phones. SD card slot is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Non-removable battery is a step back as well - given the usual bloatware on samsungs a spare battery is handy. No matter how good they say the battery will start of as being able to swap them out is useful... specs aren't worth a damn if there's no juice to power it.

Knox can be a pain in the bootloader as well if you like rooting phones.... and no sign of an FM radio either.

Minor niggles for some but already talking about "compromise". Given how much its going to cost its not a great start.

In saying all that they'll sell them by the shed load.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

128 GB version .

Stayed with the S4 over this time last year S5 didn't think there was anything worth getting the S5 at the time , even meteor staff pushed to take the S4 over the S5 .

I'm all over the S6 when it hits the stores here ,
    I'm happy with a 32 GB with and sandisk dual drive handy if I need more space

• Advertisement

Q&A wrote: »
    what about when this dies and you want to move to the s7 sledge.... SD cards are handy for continuity between phones. SD card slot is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Non-removable battery is a step back as well - given the usual bloatware on samsungs a spare battery is handy. No matter how good they say the battery will start of as being able to swap them out is useful... specs aren't worth a damn if there's no juice to power it.

Knox can be a pain in the bootloader as well if you like rooting phones.... and no sign of an FM radio either.

Minor niggles for some but already talking about "compromise". Given how much its going to cost its not a great start.

In saying all that they'll sell them by the shed load.

4hrs battery life when charged for 10 mins. Also most phones if not all do not have a removable battery anymore. And FM radio is long gone as well. You can pick up radio stations with your 4G data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

This. Will be passing on it. Such a damn pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very disappointed with the battery, 2500 mh is smaller than the battery in my G2 which was released in 2013 and that QHD screen will suck the battery dry! It's a bit Meh for me, will have to test one out but most likely wait for the G4.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

As a long-time iPhone user I'm well impressed by the S6 Edge. I have an iPhone 5 which is a good phone but I'm seriously considering switching back to Android when this is released.

The most important thing for me is the apparent lack of lag. This was always a problem in android compared to the buttery smoothness of iOS. Combined with Android 4.0 material design, this could be a real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The lack of a removable battery seems to be a major backwards step and gets rid of a major Galaxy selling point. No sure why they opted against SD storage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

I actually like it! And just thinking that 32GB is more than enough for myself. I use an SD card as I only have a 16GB. I'll have to see what else is due for release before I decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

leemaree wrote: »
    Here are the rumoured specs so far;

Light weight( ~115gm)
    Ultra resolution 4K display(3840 x 2160 pixels)
    20 MP high quality camera
    7-8 MP front facing HD camera for video chat
    Waterproof upto 100m, 2 bar pressure
    Flexible/bendable screen for immersive viewing
    4000 mAh monster battery
    Samsung Exynos 800 processor(Hexcore)
    Scratch proof Gorilla Glass 3.
    Latest Android version (v 5.0 Lollypop or 6.0 Milkshake)

Why rumour sites are pointless ....I think every single one was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats the specs lads?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php

Also a 64 bit processor and also DDR4 RAM both not mentioned in link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I'm liking the edge, I'll be hoping to get my hands on one of those.

I only went with the s5 due to a well timed upgrade/s4 hitting the deck incident but this looks like it's a decent step forward.

I actually thought I'd be moving from Samsung this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have a Note 4 myself but interesting to read about the change in direction with regards to MicroSD slots and the battery.. presumably the Note 5 will follow the same approach :(

To be honest the new HTC One M9 looks interesting... if they bring out a Note-sized variant I'd be considering that next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

So what actual use has the curved edge other than putting something that they couldn't do years ago in the phone.

Phones haven't really advanced much from the S2 era have they? Camera has improved that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gits_bone wrote: »
    So what actual use has the curved edge other than putting something that they couldn't do years ago in the phone.

Phones haven't really advanced much from the S2 era have they? Camera has improved that's it.

This is a valid point... like PCs a few years ago, I think phones have kinda stagnated in the last few generations with incremental hardware upgrades and gimmicks being relied on to shift them rather than useful "must have" innovations

It's why the S5 didn't do as good as expected, and even my Note 4 is only incrementally better in actual day-to-day terms than the Note 3 I had previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

WSJ have had a decent look at it already

http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-galaxy-s6-first-look-metal-and-glass-show-more-class-1425231183?mod=trending_now_3

Although there is no sd slot or removable battery. WSJ noticed they finally ditched the plastic feel to the phone and made it on the same design level as Apple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    This is a valid point... like PCs a few years ago, I think phones have kinda stagnated in the last few generations with incremental hardware upgrades and gimmicks being relied on to shift them rather than useful "must have" innovations

It's why the S5 didn't do as good as expected, and even my Note 4 is only incrementally better in actual day-to-day terms than the Note 3 I had previously.

Exactly. It was inevitable the advancements in technology couldn't keep at the rate they were. We came from nowhere so improvement was easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php

Also a 64 bit processor and also DDR4 RAM both not mentioned in link.

I thought the S6 only has 3GB of RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Sam Mac wrote: »

It does. DDR4 is the type of ram. It has 3GB of DDR4 Ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sam Mac wrote: »

It does. 3Gb of DDR4 RAM. DDR4 is the next gen of ram so to speak.

*Edit Eerily similar to Luke92's post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Exactly. It was inevitable the advancements in technology couldn't keep at the rate they were. We came from nowhere so improvement was easy.

I went from an s2 to an s5 and I'd have to say the upgrade was well worth it. 2 days battery instead of 12 hours, much better camera, much more responsive (esp since the lollipop update) and the extra screen is a peach. The things I dislike about it are the same for all Samsungs it seems: software bloat, overheating and occasional lag (still better than the s2 though).

The edge actually looks useful, but I'd go for the note rather than this. Tiny battery + qhd screen is a no no. No sd and no removable battery makes it an iPhone, and if I wanted an iPhone, I'd have got one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Is it going to be waterproof?

Advertisement