Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, they'd still have an idea.

It'd be wrong, but that wouldn't stop it being an idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just a thought, has anyone on this forum actually got the words "Semi-Automatic", "Gas operated" or "Pump-Action" specified on their licence?
    Or are we all in possession of a straight forward "Single barrel" or "Double Barrel"?
    If, like me, you are in possession of a "Single Barrel" and a "Double Barrel" shotgun, being in reality a Mossberg 500 and an AyA U/O, does anyone in authority even have an inkling of an idea of the number of guns possibly affected by the Garda proposals?

Des Croften said at the hearing there were aprox. 8000 S/A Pump actions.
    Where as at the first hearing with the Garda the CS said 47.

Not much difference is there

clivej wrote: »
    Des Croften said at the hearing there were aprox. 8000 S/A Pump actions.
    Where as at the first hearing with the Garda the CS said 47.
    Not much difference is there

Des was talking about all licenced S/A pump actions; the CS was referring to all S/A pump actions held on restricted licences. That's already been pointed out to the Committee in several submissions before the hearing date:
    Mr Healy: The number of [semiautomatic shotguns] is small. In effect, there are 47 of those calibre guns licensed in the State. They are known as restricted shotguns.

Semiautomatic shotguns are not restricted so long as their magazine holds three rounds or less, and there are considerably more of them in the State than 47 – there are in fact between eight and nine thousand such shotguns in the State.

Tuesday, 27 January 2015
    Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
    302. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide by year the number of handguns recovered by an Garda Síochána during the years 2004 to date in 2015 which had been used in the commission of a crime and which had previously been recorded on PULSE as a licensed firearm; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [3562/15]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to the matter and will write to the Deputy as soon as I have further information.

Mattie McGrath (Tipperary South, Independent)
    320. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will address a matter (details supplied) raised by her Dáil contribution of 15 January 2015; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [3936/15]

Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)

Firstly I would like to clarify to the Deputy that in answering a Parliamentary Question on 15 January, I inadvertently said 1,363 firearms applications were refused by the District Courts. The applications referred to, totalling 1,363 applications, were refused by An Garda Síochána and not by the Courts. I have arranged to have the Dáil record corrected to reflect that fact.

Section 8 of the Working Group Report on the review of firearms licensing, published for consultation in November 2013, sets out views expressed by members of the judiciary in relation to legislative provisions governing firearms. The Deputy will appreciate that it would not be appropriate for me to comment on individual cases before the Courts. However, I am advised that over the past four years, Judges in District Courts have commented that it is a matter for the legislature and not the judiciary to address the concerns of senior Garda Officers tasked with considering applications to licence, in particular, large calibre handguns and semi automatic centre fire rifles. For example, I am advised by An Garda Síochána that Judge Lucey, in various District Courts throughout the country, Judge O‘Kelly in Limerick District Court and Judge Kennedy in Bray District Court have dealt with the issue that as the legislation currently allows for the licensing of such firearms, the law must be applied as it currently exists.

Furthermore, An Garda Síochána have advised that judges have raised issues in relation to interpreting Section 33 of the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009, which prohibits 'practical or dynamic shooting'. I am advised by An Garda Síochána that Judge Riordan in Cork District Court, Judge McNulty in Bandon District Court, Judge Larkin in Kilmallock District Court, Judge Neylon in Mullingar District Court and Judge Kelleher in Cork District Court have commented on the difficulties in interpreting what exactly constitutes 'a form of activity in which firearms are used to simulate combat or combat training', which was a central issue in appeal cases before these courts.

Additionally, Judge Durcan, in a written judgment in Ennis District Court on 5 November, 2014, addressed an issue relating to the interpretation of the legislation when he stated: “By way of casual initial observation, it must be said that the manner of amendment adopted by the legislature with respect to the Firearms Code is to be regretted. The 2006 Act amends substantially fourteen of the thirty sections of the Principal Act, six important sections of the Principal Act being completely amended by substitution. The 2009 Act contains an additional 20 sections which effect considerable amendments to the code. It is highly unsatisfactory that the code must now be read by reference to a number of different statutes, when the opportunity could have been taken to provide a consolidating statute. Despite developments in information technology and the empowerment of computer consolidation, Statue Law should be easily accessible not merely to Lawyers and Legislators, but also to ordinary citizens in a comprehensible manner”.

The Deputy has also raised the question of the ability of the Garda PULSE system to produce figures on the number of cases which were appealed to the District Court and how many were granted. The Deputy will appreciate that firearms legislation provides for an appeal to the District Court where a firearms licence has been refused by An Garda Síochána. I am informed that the information sought regarding such cases is not readily available to An Garda Síochána or the Courts Service. The work required to collate this information could only be retrieved by way of a manual examination of each individual court record. This would require a disproportionate and inordinate amount of staff time and effort and could not be justified in current circumstances where there are other significant demands on resources. Furthermore, An Garda Síochána have advised that refused renewal applications for restricted firearms that were subsequently granted on appeal are no longer recorded on PULSE as refused or appealed. These applications are updated on the system to show the application as granted. I understand this new method of updating the licensing system on PULSE was introduced to address concerns of interest groups, so that licence holders granted a licence after an appeal do not have an initial refusal recorded on their licence record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

Sparks wrote: »
    Des was talking about all licenced S/A pump actions; the CS was referring to all S/A pump actions held on restricted licences. That's already been pointed out to the Committee in several submissions before the hearing date:

Yes but that's 8000 to 9000 shotguns that are going to be banned as nearly all are capable of having more than 3 shells in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"Unless so permantly modified as not to hold more than three shells by their renewal date."According to the working group document.The addition of the "Permantly modified"is not much different than what is already there in the guidelines.Which is "incapable of"So are they trying to allude that every shotgun sold here has been used incorrectly or illegally as they all come "incapable of" holding more than three shots since 1976??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Please explain to me what a S/A pump action shotgun is?

I know what S/A - semi-auto is.

I know what a pump-action is.

What I don't know is the 'combination gun' that uses both systems of reloading that you mention.

tac

Well, the SPAS-12 if I remember right tac, but the real answer is that there's a missing "and" in there that's been carried over from the committee testimony...

Benelli M3 SPAS 15[ only one or two of those in Ireland] and some Turkish copy of the Benelli M3. All pump/SA

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tac foley wrote: »
    Please explain to me what a S/A pump action shotgun is?

I know what S/A - semi-auto is.

I know what a pump-action is.

What I don't know is the 'combination gun' that uses both systems of reloading that you mention.

tac

Benelli M3
    From Wikipedia:
    The Benelli M3 (Super 90) is a dual-mode (both pump-action and semi-automatic) shotgun designed and manufactured by Italian firearms manufacturer Benelli.

• Advertisement

Well, I had a SPAS-12, but it certainly wasn't bought because of its three-shot capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s--ljAwI1s&list=PLBF49FC74BDB6EB18

tac

Chiparus wrote: »
    Benelli M3
    From Wikipedia:
    The Benelli M3 (Super 90) is a dual-mode (both pump-action and semi-automatic) shotgun designed and manufactured by Italian firearms manufacturer Benelli.

And a very fine gun it is too!!!Have to say it has been the first gun I have ever picked up that fit and felt right to me straight out of the box.

Thursday, 29 January 2015
    Finian McGrath (Dublin North Central, Independent)
    118. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on an issue regarding firearms (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [4259/15]

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to the matter and will write to the Deputy as soon as I have further information.

From the Joint Committee, at the time discussing the budget of the Defence Forces:
    David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)

The committee recently discussed firearms. It was mentioned that in 1979, thousands of firearms were handed over to the Defence Forces for storage. While it might not arise here, is there a cost involved in that? Are there any long-term plans to dispose of those weapons? Related to that is the storage of obsolete equipment such as Bren guns and Gustavs that are no longer used. Is there a cost of storing those?

Simon Coveney (Minister, Department of Agriculture, the Marine and Food; Cork South Central, Fine Gael)

I will check it out. I am not aware of it being a significant cost because if it was I would be informed about it. However, if there is an issue, we will come back to the committee. None of the experts on either side of me are familiar with it.

David Stanton (Cork East, Fine Gael)

The Minister might provide some numbers as to what is there, bearing in mind that we do not wish to breach the security aspect of it.

Alan Farrell (Dublin North, Fine Gael)

If these are weapons, why are we storing them?

Simon Coveney (Minister, Department of Agriculture, the Marine and Food; Cork South Central, Fine Gael)

That would have been a security issue. People were asked to hand over weapons that have the capacity to fire live ammunition. One of the things the Defence Forces are good at is storing weaponry safely; that is what they do. If there was some kind of decommissioning or hand-over scheme, it presumably made sense for the Defence Forces to manage that. I am not sure if we still have them. There may be some security issues with releasing information on that. However, I will check it and come back to the committee. It has clearly been raised with the committee so I will follow up.

Ah, amazing how legally-owned firearms that people handed in become weapons during the transaction...

As for the 'security issue', well, another famous Irishman had a phrase that he used when discussing certain arcane subjects......'that would be an ecumenical matter...'

tac

Dont worry about the Brens, Gustavs, and whatever else.They sold them about ten years ago to the States.Where they were reduced to parts kits and sold to the public.Same what they did with the "Irish contract " LE rifles and the Lugers.....Thussly in the last case making a Texas Luger collector into a millionare....
    He got them for cents on the punt..

Somone might want to point out to the chairman it was1972 not 1979 that the TCO came into effect.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Somone might want to point out to the chairman it was1972 not 1979 that the TCO came into effect.
    Someone did:
    52. Mr Healy: Guns were surrendered to the Army in the 1970s because of the ongoing situation in the jurisdiction and the Army still has these guns.

This is not a full representation of the events of 1972. In short, the Troubles in Northern Ireland were becoming a security concern for the Irish government at the time, and in 1972 a Temporary Custody Order (S.I. No. 187/1972 – Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order, 1972) was issued for all privately held pistols and all rifles over .22 calibre to be surrendered to local Garda stations by August 5 1972, for a period of one month.

This order was complied with, but when firearms owners returned to reclaim their firearms a month later, they were informed that their certificates had expired while their firearms were in custody (firearms certificates at the time were issued for a period of one year, and all renewals were dealt with at the same time). Since the firearms were no longer licenced, they could not be returned until a new certificate was issued; upon seeking a renewal of their certificates, applicants were informed that a new Garda policy was in place to not consider applications for certificates in respect of pistols or rifles over .22 in calibre. As such, the firearms in Garda custody remained in Garda custody.

This situation continued until the late 1990s, when fullbore rifles of calibres up to .270 Winchester were permitted to be applied for for the purposes of deer hunting on humane grounds (prior to this, only the .22–250 cartridge was available for deer hunting and it was felt to be only barely capable of this task). All other firearms held in custody remained there, until the repeal of the Garda policy following the Brophy case. Following this, firearms held in storage by the Gardaí were reclaimed by those owners still alive or their descendants. As these pistols were never formally confiscated (and some were sold off by their owners and removed from Garda custody in that manner), no compensation was claimable by the owners. Following Brophy, the Supreme Court upheld in McVeigh that the policy of not consdering applications for firearms certificates for handguns had been unlawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I'm sorry, but the whole AGS/DoJE slant on not having to pay compensation for surrendered firearms has a "smoke and daggers" air about it.

If the proposed firearms to be banned present an unacceptable risk to society, then why should people in another jurisdiction be able to buy them at knockdown prices?

Compensation was not payable because the law was subverted - firearms were never officially confiscated because they didn't need to be confiscated: The policy of not considering renewals immediately post 1972 TCO was (eventually) proven unlawful, but it meant that AGS never had to confiscate private property.

The trust invested in the authorities by shooting enthusiasts in 1972 was abused.

yubabill1 wrote: »
    If the proposed firearms to be banned present an unacceptable risk to society, then why should people in another jurisdiction be able to buy them at knockdown prices?

The trust invested in the authorities by shooting enthusiasts in 1972 was abused.

1st sentence - because those people in 'another jurisdiction' have constitutional RIGHT to possess firearms, and you don't, and your government sold them to them - via dealers, of course - without giving you any of the profit derived from the sale.

2nd sentence - the only time you can believe a politician is when he keeps his gob firmly shut.

tac

All the stuff is still in army barracks around the land.We even found lord Mountbattens personal pistol a year ago in Athlone.:rolleyes:

And it will stay there for ever more,for the simple reason they are like the dormant bank accounts.They have to be kept on record as someone "just might" show up with great grannies savings book,or great great uncle Micks ticket for his old Colt Thompson with a very low serial number that he used against the "Tans" in the Killyweewee ambush and now wants to sell it for appx 150k at auction in the US.:P
    Logically,it would be proably smarter to hire a few good researchers or private eyes to go and track down the next of kin wherever they might be globally and tell them that their ancestors property is still here,and would thy like to collect it and export it to their country of residence if possible or be compensated to its market value, IE sell it to the State,or if in an absolute and exhaustive no find of any direct next of kin it is auctioned off .That would proably cost less in the long run than another 35 years of storage in our army bases.

Tuesday, 17 February 2015
    Gerry Adams (Louth, Sinn Fein)
    324. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality when she will refer the Firearms Act 1925 to the Law Reform Commission to thoroughly review it, and advise what the law should be in the 21st century; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7055/15]

The Law Reform Commission (LRC) has restated the Firearms Acts and this “administrative consolidation” is available on the LRC website. The restatement is dated 31 October 2012 and it contains all amendments to the Firearms Acts.

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by my Department to review firearms licensing. The report of this Working Group was published on 13 November 2014 and submissions on the report were sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015.

These submissions are now being considered. Consolidation of the law on firearms will be considered further when I have met interest groups following consideration of the submissions.

• Advertisement

Wednesday, 18 February 2015
    Derek Nolan (Galway West, Labour)
    123. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if legislation will be introduced to permit the use of pepper spray for civil protection; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7265/15]

Pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon under the Firearms Act 1925, as amended. A prohibited weapon is defined as a firearm under the same Act, and accordingly the restrictions that apply to firearms in the Firearms Acts apply to pepper spray.

In considering whether or not to grant licences for the possession, use or carriage of firearms, An Garda Síochána take into account a number of factors provided for in the relevant legislation. In this context, in September, 2009 the Garda Commissioner issued revised guidelines in relation to the operation of the firearms legislation which are designed to be of benefit to both members of the Gardaí and members of the public.

These guidelines specifically state that: “ The protection of life and property is a function of the Garda Síochána and civilians are only entitled to use reasonable force to protect themselves and their property. The combined effect of this means that there is no justification for seeking to possess a firearm for purposes of personal protection or protection of property. When assessing an application for a firearm certificate, a superintendent or chief superintendent should not take into account as part of a 'Good Reason' a reference to personal protection." As personal protection is the only reason for a person to acquire pepper spray, it follows that a firearm certificate is unlikely to be granted for pepper spray.

I do not envisage amending the legislation to permit the use of pepper spray for civil protection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

We all know the following, but it's worth saying. How stupid is that?

Pepper spray is a classed as firearm (another reason to love the firearms act). It's a prohibited "firearm" (probably one of the 300+ stolen "firearms" too). As a prohibited firearm it could not be licensed even if the Super/Chief Super wanted to. That aside it's a firearm (sweet Jesus), and as a firearm cannot be used for personal protection because this falls under the remit of An Gardaí.

Christmas 2013 i get a call at 22:23. My sister (and my 11 yr old nephew) has come home and her house window is open and she thinks whomever broke in is still in the house. I tell her to stay in the car, move away from the house and call the Gardaí. She does, and i jump into the car and race down. I get there at 22:35. I go in, with Father and two friends. No one there. Gardaí arrive at 23:45. An hour and 22 minutes later. I asked what in the f**k kept them, and what was so important that an emergency call from a single Mother with a child and possible home intruders still on site did not warrant their immediate response. Answer. We're busy.

Now i'm not trying to make a case for pepper spray, tasers, etc. but with four of the six local stations being closed, man power at a lower level than i've ever seen it, and an unsympathetic local force what are the options. I'm also not calling for firearms (real guns not toys, seasoning in a can, or stun guns) to be granted for home protection. You're more likely to be shot with your own gun, and i've heard of the sad results of mistaken identities in such cases.

Now if we had an effective force, and reasonable (not even good) response times then i'd wholeheartedly agree, but until that becomes a reality there needs to be debate on the matter.

More importantly, and respective to the topic matter, pepper spray classed as:
    • A firearm
    • Prohibited firearm
    • Unlicenseable because it's An Gardaí job
    ...... is just another joke in the long line of farcical issues of the firearms act.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If pepper spray is a prohibited firearm, then the Aerosol Oven Cleaner aisle in Tesco is a frigging arsenal........

I'm always bemused by people wanting to get peper spray here when a can of "harmless" hair spray of the more cheap& nasty kind like" liquid hair net" that any woman can carry in her handbag is just as nasty and incapatating as pepper spray. We've all heard of getting your ass beat with a hair brush as a kid.Hopefully with the flat end and not with the sharp spikey bristle side!!
    My better half who is a "hair technican" informs me that all steel curling brushes are also freely available,and showed me one of hers.This thing looks like a mini mace used in mediveal warfare.I would not like to get that thing raked across my face or eyes.

Two perfectly innocent items any woman can carry in her handbag and are not considerd "weapons" in any shape or form and can be used for good or ill depending .Were the lady to go out with a can of Mace or a lady fingers knuckle duster,there is the INTENT of self defence.Carry a rubbish knife in your car,its an offensive weapon,carry a no 4 Ball peen hammer, under the seat for that "dodgy starter motor"its a tool,until used in self defence or for malicious intent.

T
    hese guidelines specifically state that: “ The protection of life and property is a function of the Garda Síochán

Well thats an intresting statement leagally speaking..So if your life is in danger and you phone AGS under that statement they are legally obliged to come and protect you no matter what as also if your property is being stolen and damaged and leave themselves open to a legal challange if they fail to do so?? Thats what the minister is saying there.
    Contary to what legal precedent in the Western world has established ,that LE can only react to crime happening and that they are NOT obligted to protect life and property as it is not a police forces function. Glad to see Ireland is bucking the trend again. I'll sleep alot better now knowing I can have a member of AGS outside my door now 24/7 going by Min Frannies statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭Heckler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I'm always bemused by people wanting to get peper spray here when a can of "harmless" hair spray of the more cheap& nasty kind like" liquid hair net" that any woman can carry in her handbag is just as nasty and incapatating as pepper spray. We've all heard of getting your ass beat with a hair brush as a kid.Hopefully with the flat end and not with the sharp spikey bristle side!!
    Two perfectly innocent items any woman can carry in her handbag and are not considerd "weapons" in any shape or form and can be used for good or ill depending .Were the lady to go out with a can of Mace or a lady fingers knuckle duster,there is the INTENT of self defence.Carry a rubbish knife in your car,its an offensive weapon,carry a no 4 Ball peen hammer, under the seat for that "dodgy starter motor"its a tool,until used in self defence or for malicious intent.

Well thats an intresting statement leagally speaking..So if your life is in danger and you phone AGS under that statement they are legally obliged to come and protect you no matter what as also if your property is being stolen and damaged and leave themselves open to a legal challange if they fail to do so?? Thats what the minister is saying there.
    Contary to what legal precedent in the Western world has established ,that LE can only react to crime happening and that they are NOT obligted to protect life and property as it is not a police forces function. Glad to see Ireland is bucking the trend again. I'll sleep alot better now knowing I can have a member of AGS outside my door now 24/7 going by Min Frannies statement.

After many mishaps my car now has a torch, spanner, hammer, aerosol tire inflator, and a multi tool that contains a long blade sharp knife. Am I know to be considered to be in posession of an offensive weapon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Heckler wrote: »
    After many mishaps my car now has a torch, spanner, hammer, aerosol tire inflator, and a multi tool that contains a long blade sharp knife. Am I know to be considered to be in posession of an offensive weapon ?

Your an invasion force!

Heckler wrote: »

Under the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, yeah, a Garda could arrest you for any one of those if he or she thought you were about to commit a crime with one of them and you'd be required to prove your innocence in front of the district court (note that this is one of those lovely areas of law where you prove your innocence instead of the prosecution proving your guilt).

Generally this doesn't happen because Gardai aren't gormless idiots 99.99% of the time. But the law is a gormless idiot all day long...

Thursday, 19 February 2015
    Tony McLoughlin (Sligo-North Leitrim, Fine Gael)
    121. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality regarding the proposed new legislation restricting certain licensed firearms, the current efforts to tackle the high number of illegal firearms, which is estimated to be more than 100,000; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7585/15]
    122. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the protection local businesses affected by the proposed new firearms legislation will be offered; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7587/15]
    125. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality the compensation to be provided to persons affected by the proposed new firearms legislation, who will have to surrender or destroy their weapons and recreational equipment; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7636/15]

I propose to take Questions Nos. 121, 122 and 125 together.

I should say initially that my Department is not aware of any reliable basis for the figure quoted in the Deputy's question as representing the number of illegal firearms here.

In light of public safety concerns highlighted by An Garda Síochána, a joint Department of Justice and Equality/An Garda Síochána Working Group was established by the Department of Justice and Equality to review firearms licensing. The report of this Working Group was published on 13 November 2014 and submissions on the report were sought from stakeholders and the public by 31 January 2015. The consultation process gave individuals and groups an opportunity to contribute to the development of firearms policy and legislation and will enable consideration to be given to the future direction of such legislation.

The submissions received are currently being examined and incorporated into a report for me. The Oireachtas Committee on Justice, Defence and Equality has also sought submissions and held hearings with interested parties in relation to the Working Party report. It is expected that their report on the issue will be available in a number of weeks.
    I understand the Deputy's Question No 122 relates to what effects, if any, proposed changes to firearms licensing will have on firearms dealers. I wish to advise that the majority of licensed and licensable shotguns and rifles in this State will not be affected by the proposals to amend the firearms licensing system.

The issue of compensation which the Deputy raises is dealt with at Section 13 of the Working Group Report. The report states that the Courts have held that the possession of a firearm is not a right but a privilege. The Courts have in the past taken the view that what is in the State's gift cannot be required to be compensated if it is withdrawn.

I have already given a commitment that I will not make any final decisions until I have considered all the submissions which have been made and have met the key stakeholders, including the organisations who represent those who use firearms for sporting purposes. These meetings will take place following receipt and consideration of both my Department's and the Oireachtas Committee reports.

I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to specific measures being taken to tackle illegal firearms. I will reply further to the Deputy when that information becomes available.

Tuesday, 24 February 2015
    337. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality her views on a matter (details supplied) regarding gun licences; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [8064/15]

323. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if she will provide an update concerning firearms (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [7853/15]

I can inform the Deputy of the number of rifles, shotguns and handguns reported stolen in the past five years. The table beneath refers to each year from 2010 to 2014 and is provided from Garda PULSE records.

Firearms stolen|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014|Total
    Handgun|9|12|16|12|8|57 (incl. 40 air pistols)
    Rifle|49|79|76|65|48|317
    Shotgun|184|216|166|174|113|853
    Other|119|93|84|102|85|483
    Total|361|400|342|353|254|1710

These figures relate to licensed and unlicensed firearms stolen over the period, which includes those stolen from Firearms Dealers.

The category of other firearms in the table includes firearms as defined under the Firearms Acts such as, humane killer, starting gun and blank firing gun.

The total figure for handguns of 57 includes 40 air pistols.

Figures are operational and are liable to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

What does the 483 "other" refer to?

Advertisement