Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

yea over the crimbo would work im off for 2 weeks I only live beside you in Athy maybe Fix and a few of the others could come and make a day out of it! 1 day society!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

OK lads we will play our little competition over next two months.

PARlance has a list of lads - we will just do a random draw - matchplay ? It looks like it will be 8 people - winner 80 euro - 2nd 40 euro - (Something like that - PARlance the man) - so will go towards Euro club.

But - when we are going to the European Club - in say Early March we will post it up here. Then whoever wants to go then - we will organise. Doesn't matter if you were in comp or not - we will try get 8-12 going.

BTW it is down for 70 Euro - I remember getting it for 50 euro ?

Lads, just rang them - if you are GUI, you can enter the open singles - Friday - Saturday - Sunday and it is 50 euro.

Class so , we can all enter a comp - do it a weekend , and if crazy go for a few pints make a night of it. Maybe one thing at a time.

That should be something to look forward to - great it is on a weekend too. Nice start to season and a target to end winter work.

We could even get a cut or a 0.1 out of this, depending on your perspective on life. Could be off 12 after all this (lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yettie1701

benny79 wrote: »
    yea over the crimbo would work im off for 2 weeks I only live beside you in Athy maybe Fix and a few of the others could come and make a day out of it! 1 day society!
    Sounds good to me. Looking forward to that. Great course never tire of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OK lads we will play our little competition over next two months.

PARlance has a list of lads - we will just do a random draw - matchplay ? It looks like it will be 8 people - winner 80 euro - 2nd 40 euro - (Something like that - PARlance the man) - so will go towards Euro club.

But - when we are going to the European Club - in say Early March we will post it up here. Then whoever wants to go then - we will organise. Doesn't matter if you were in comp or not - we will try get 8-12 going.

BTW it is down for 70 Euro - I remember getting it for 50 euro ?

Lads, just rang them - if you are GUI, you can enter the open singles - Friday - Saturday - Sunday and it is 50 euro.

Class so , we can all enter a comp - do it a weekend , and if crazy go for a few pints make a night of it. Maybe one thing at a time.

That should be something to look forward to - great it is on a weekend too. Nice start to season and a target to end winter work.

We could even get a cut or a 0.1 out of this, depending on your perspective on life. Could be off 12 after all this (lol)

I haven't a clue what I've signed up for here :)

I'll start a thread to see if there's any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

good stuff lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Well lads, finally got to visit Corballis Links today, a little hidden gem. Course was in good nick with greens rolling well. Light breeze that was manageable, really enjoyable. Pace of play was a tad slow especially the back nine, however seen enough to get me back again. Will post score on how did you score in last round Thread later.

mafc wrote: »
    Well lads, finally got to visit Corballis Links today, a little hidden gem. Course was in good nick with greens rolling well. Light breeze that was manageable, really enjoyable. Pace of play was a tad slow especially the back nine, however seen enough to get me back again. Will post score on how did you score in last round Thread later.

Class - did you break 80 - always a good score there.

Class - did you break 80 - always a good score there.

Sure did ! Will post later

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

Played Corballis for first time today myself. Super course, greens good, didn't play particularly well, not sure where to drive on some holes but know on next visit I can play better. It was slow 4hours 20min

Down9194 wrote: »
    Played Corballis for first time today myself. Super course, greens good, didn't play particularly well, not sure where to drive on some holes but know on next visit I can play better. It was slow 4hours 20min

Reckon we were just under 4 hrs, what time did you tee off at ?

• Advertisement

Started at 11 finished at 3.20. In fairness it just seemed to be pace of play we didn't feel we had to wait that often. Got it on Golf Now 11euro so can't really complain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is on my 2015 shortlist...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    This is on my 2015 shortlist...

Well worth a visit, it is rather short but a lot of trouble off the tee. Course guide would be recommended due to blind shots. Very playable if you keep it in the fairway. 15 & 16 are the only holes that there's no real trouble on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

mafc wrote: »
    Course guide would be recommended due to blind shots.

Or just ask Fixd to go :pac:

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Or just ask Fixd to go :pac:

After mafc having a 71 first time out, I'm willing to bow to superior skill.

No, if you keep it in play , it is very short, so a guy with good 120 yard game in and short game is laughing.

Is very short, but good for your game in the long run in my opinion.

Sorry, lads are sick of Corballis here, It wasn't me who brought it up this time :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Just booked a present for the bro's 40th - a day of golf in Doonbeg followed by a beer up and a day of golf at the Old Head the following day. Of course I've agreed to tag along because it would be quite rude to send a lad off playing on his own. Not til early May but can't wait already.

* Let's not debate the 'but is it links?' question with the old head!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I reckon play Lahinch instead if you are coming down this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Just booked a present for the bro's 40th - a day of golf in Doonbeg followed by a beer up and a day of golf at the Old Head the following day. Of course I've agreed to tag along because it would be quite rude to send a lad off playing on his own. Not til early May but can't wait already.

You're a fair decent fella all the same. :)

You're a fair decent fella all the same. :)

Yes with my brothers it will be.

"when were you 40".

It is not a links :p

Maybe that is why the brothers will be like that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

Keano wrote: »
    I reckon play Lahinch instead if you are coming down this way.

I did consider that but he's been talking about Doonbeg a good bit since the fella with the crow's nest on his head bought it. I've always fancied playing it meself since reading about Harrington playing Norman there in a head to head to open the place. Norman shot 5 or 6 under before heading off in his helicopter. I'll be heading by car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

Re: Old Head.
    It's not a links, no debate required. The site was never between the land and the sea and the soil is not sand based. Marvellous marketing concept and a good test of golf if a little artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

I did consider that but he's been talking about Doonbeg a good bit since the fella with the crow's nest on his head bought it. I've always fancied playing it meself since reading about Harrington playing Norman there in a head to head to open the place. Norman shot 5 or 6 under before heading off in his helicopter. I'll be heading by car.

Having only played Doonbeg and not lahinch I would recommend Lahinch. Doonbeg is an Americanised links. Played it in May and no real links rough. Spray it anywhere(and I did) and walk up to your ball and have a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Nialler15 wrote: »
    Having only played Doonbeg and not lahinch I would recommend Lahinch. Doonbeg is an Americanised links. Played it in May and no real links rough. Spray it anywhere(and I did) and walk up to your ball and have a shot.
    Links vary like that in Co. Sligo you can find it hard to loose a ball and in Corballis if you miss the fairway by a year you man vever see it again.
    Portmarnock is another where you rarley loose a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

mike12 wrote: »
    Links vary like that in Co. Sligo you can find it hard to loose a ball and in Corballis if you miss the fairway by a year you man vever see it again.
    Portmarnock is another where you rarley loose a ball.
    If you missed it by that far you'd deserve to lose it, but now if you only missed it by a day or a week, shure you'd be grand?:pac::pac:
    Ah shure those clubs now you'd be rarley losing balls are them same ones you wouldn't be long getting frost bit:pac::pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I played my first links course ever on saturday and loved it, think I'll find it hard to go back playing parkland courses again :pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I played my first links course ever on saturday and loved it, think I'll find it hard to go back playing parkland courses again :pac:

Who was she? You have to kiss and tell.

Once you play on sand, the rest seem bland ;).

Thinking of playing Corballis on Saturday. Just wanted to know if the is any snow in the Dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

PARlance wrote: »

Oh that's good. I may have to use that! Credit will be given as it's fully deserved!

Oh that's good. I may have to use that! Credit will be given as it's fully deserved!

Running off to get it trademarked as we speak!!!
    Use away Kev, I must admit that I rewarded myself with a nice cuppa and a digestive after thinking of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PARlance wrote: »
    Who was she? You have to kiss and tell.

Strandhill Co sligo! Loved the place :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement