Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevie86

Mermaidmoment:

Could you recommend an alternative for someone who is not a qualified teacher?

I have a CELTA and a few years international experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mermaidmoment

Stevie86; to be honest the better schools over there require at least two years experience as well as an education degree. I'm not sure about TEFL jobs. Try teach away. com

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JamieWexford

HI all,
    Just looking into teaching in Abu Dhabi in particular. I had an interview with SABIS and also have an interview with the irish website teachandexplore for some privates schools in Abu Dhabi. Any one have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

HI all,
    Just looking into teaching in Abu Dhabi in particular. I had an interview with SABIS and also have an interview with the irish website teachandexplore for some privates schools in Abu Dhabi. Any one have any advice?

There was a couple of good posts giving advice a page or two back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

I had to email back all my documents yesterday but then this happened...

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

HR Sharjah

Subject: RE: URGENT: Teaching With The International Schools Of Choueifat

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 23 hours and 26 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Anybody else in the same boat?

• Advertisement

Ugh... Sabis is pretty useless for correspondence to be honest with you. Unfortunately this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Hey does anyone have an idea when the face to face interviews would be? I sent my documents away a while ago and got a generated email from them in January pretty much saying hold tight we're working on things, but would really like to just know! Also, very interested in the job. I've told them I'd only be interested in Dubai, but have been thinking about Abu Dhabi (definitely a big city/beach person) has anyone lived/worked with Sabis in Abu Dhabi - I'm very familiar with Dubai but have heard good things about the Capital too 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

Sabis is not an organisation that I would recommend. Above all, it is a money making organisation that does not care about the welfare of children or staff. The directors are generally ruthless and do not care about the proper or appropriate delivery of education. I have never felt so bullied or intimidated in my life as I did when I was working with them. I had a great time living in the UAE and made friends for life- so in that regard it was a positive experience. However, if you are a qualified teacher, they are to be avoided like the plague. Their teaching methods go against everything we have been trained to do in western universities. They will undermine you and make you feel like everything that goes wrong in their outdated system is your fault. They do not acknowledge behavioural disorders and will blame the teacher for situations that are out of our control. There is no such thing as differentiation in this curriculum- so if a less able child is not achieving.. YOU will be blamed. You are not treated like a professional, you are treated like a naughty school child. Every Monday we had to endure half hour staff meetings which would slate us and tell us we were useless. They would say to our faces that we may as well go home because they could replace us within 24 hours. The behaviour in the schools is like nothing I have ever seen. Children run riot and your daily task becomes centred around crowd control, not teaching. Why do you think there are always so many vacancies for unqualified teachers? No one with experience in education would settle for the horrific standards. They get by on propaganda, luring Irish graduates over with the prospect of a tax free salary and various benefits. On the first two days of their 'training' they will fill your head with utter propaganda, making their beloved 'point system' out to be the the be all and end all of education. It's a cult like mindset, if I'm being honest.
    I'm not saying my entire experience was terrible, the UAE is a wonderful country. But those 8 hours working with those people was soul destroying. If you're looking for experience and are thick skinned, by all means go for it (Especially if you are given KG grades). But if you are a qualified teacher, avoid!! You will gain nothing professionally from such an experience. Hope this helps!

Many thanks. Your account chimes with the handful of other reports I've come upon over the last couple of weeks. How long did you stay with them, do you mind my asking?

Many thanks. Your account chimes with the handful of other reports I've come upon over the last couple of weeks. How long did you stay with them, do you mind my asking?

I did the year with them because as I mentioned I did really enjoy life over there. At times it felt totally unbearable though and I just wanted to leave. The school I was in had a huge dropout rate. Teachers will leave in the middle of the night and will be replaced in a matter of days. It's not a happy environment to be in. I'm going back to work in the emirates this year in a proper international school so I would recommend looking for decent schools as the life over there is really great. If you look at their Facebook page you will notice how negative comments wiill be deleted in a matter of minutes and they recruit somewhat satisfied employees to talk about how wonderful experiences with them. It's total bull. I remember reading negative comments on this forum before I went and I thought they were just exaggerated.. But turns out they were totally accurate!!

Pretty much everything in that above comment is accurate. Thank god we have boards for some truth online lol.

The behavior problems are really bad in my school (and it's one of the best apparently), personally I blame....

1: The kids are generally rich and spoiled (not used to people telling them no)
    2: They're given way too much freedom with 90min lunch breaks (8/9 year olds and above) and run riot etc... The "shadow teacher" classes are also a bit of a joke as the kids don't listen to their peer and mostly use the class to talk and doss and do anything but work.
    3: The super strict school system makes them want to rebel (some have 11 exams every week)
    4: Most importantly the supervisor system makes kids NOT respect the teachers as much as I remember when I was a kid in Irish schools. They see the supervisors as people to respect/fear and teachers as the opposite (since you're not allowed to punish kids). I used to fear my teachers giving me a note or detention etc. but teachers cannot do that in Sabis.
    5: The high turnover rate of teachers encourages kids to see them as "replaceable".

I find the job 90% classroom management, 10% teaching. For some classes it's actually even worse then that. But I suppose I'm not a qualified teacher so I would struggle more than most in that regard. Thank god I have a scary supervisor, otherwise I would've quit a long time ago lol.

But if none of that puts you off it is quite a good experience! :D Also you can save a lot of money here and the lifestyle is nice. It's just Sabis itself lol, ALL smoke and mirrors, don't believe a word of what they tell you.

But yeah, they are quite cruel to the kids, and it has side effects, the kids mostly hate the school. Also as was mentioned the Middle East in general doesn't acknowledge learning problems. So if someone has down syndrome in your class (which can easily happen) you'll just have to deal with it yourself. But I think Sabis is just like any other school here in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

Pretty much everything in that above comment is accurate. Thank god we have boards for some truth online lol.

The behavior problems are really bad in my school (and it's one of the best apparently), personally I blame....

2: They're given way too much freedom with 90min lunch breaks (8/9 year olds and above) and run riot etc... The "shadow teacher" classes are also a bit of a joke as the kids don't listen to their peer and mostly use the class to talk and doss and do anything but work.
    3: The super strict school system makes them want to rebel (some have 11 exams every week)
    4: Most importantly the supervisor system makes kids NOT respect the teachers as much as I remember when I was a kid in Irish schools. They see the supervisors as people to respect/fear and teachers as the opposite (since you're not allowed to punish kids). I used to fear my teachers giving me a note or detention etc. but teachers cannot do that in Sabis.
    5: The high turnover rate of teachers encourages kids to see them as "replaceable".

I find the job 90% classroom management, 10% teaching. For some classes it's actually even worse then that. But I suppose I'm not a qualified teacher so I would struggle more than most in that regard. Thank god I have a scary supervisor, otherwise I would've quit a long time ago lol.

But if none of that puts you off it is quite a good experience! :D Also you can save a lot of money here and the lifestyle is nice. It's just Sabis itself lol, ALL smoke and mirrors, don't believe a word of what they tell you.

But yeah, they are quite cruel to the kids, and it has side effects, the kids mostly hate the school. Also as was mentioned the Middle East in general doesn't acknowledge learning problems. So if someone has down syndrome in your class (which can easily happen) you'll just have to deal with it yourself. But I think Sabis is just like any other school here in that regard.

Excellent stuff, BSG; it's much appreciated. I'll certainly be looking at SABIS with a more critical eye from now on. In fact, I don't think I'll be courting them any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TempusFugit8

omahonrm wrote: »
    I had to email back all my documents yesterday but then this happened...

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

HR Sharjah

Subject: RE: URGENT: Teaching With The International Schools Of Choueifat

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 23 hours and 26 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Anybody else in the same boat?

Did anyone who has already submitted their documents get an email acknowledging they'd been received? Not exactly the same situation as yourself, Omahonrm - but I'm struggling to get any response from HR. From what I gather they're a small HR team, and I'm not expecting anyone to suddenly drop everything they're doing to immediately reply to my emails but it's been nearly 5 working days now (with a polite follow-up sent in that timeframe)! I just wanted to ensure that they'd received my reference reports etc and ask a question about my BDS clearance. Maybe it's just IT problems...who knows.

Also - thanks BigStupidGuy and MermaidMoment. It's difficult trying to find reliable sources of info about Sabis when you don't personally know anyone working in the Middle East/employed by them. Definitely seems like some are of the view that teachers are expendable.

Excellent stuff, BSG; it's much appreciated. I'll certainly be looking at SABIS with a more critical eye from now on. In fact, I don't think I'll be courting them any further.

No problem glad I could offer some insight! Do keep in mind though that this is just my opinion, there are people with different experiences. On the whole though it would not be unfair to say that this is the consensus.

I would recommend it if you need money or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Is there any way of getting a look at the Sabis course book for what areas need to be covered in lessons etc.? I'm interested in TEFL but never confident enough in knowing what to teach so would like to have a read of what would be expected to be taught before applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rachael.Zayne

Hello everyone,

This board seems to be the best and most up to date about life working for SABIS. I have recently completed 2 interviews and they have given me 3 places to research in the middle east: Ras Al Khaimah, Umm Al Quwain and Manama. I would very much appreciate any suggestions on life there or like to know if anyone else might be posted there in august 2015 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 waterworld777

Hi Rachel, I'm in the application process too but have been waiting for ages to get confirmation on a date for a second interview - can I ask out of curiosity what they mentioned about the positions to you. Last I heard from them they were trying to sort out dates for face to face interviews and would let me know 'soon' (this was start of jan).

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about those places. I'm really only interested in Dubai and possibly Abu Dhabi. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tosspot

Hi. Apologies if this has been asked before but just starting to look into teaching in the UAE now. I'm a qualified primary school teacher and have my DIP qualification but no permanent job yet so looking to get away for a while. Just wondering if SABIS is the only way for me to apply to work over there or if there are other ways to apply also. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

I live in Manama, if you've any questions blast away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vanilla_bean

Hi Rachel, I'm in the application process too but have been waiting for ages to get confirmation on a date for a second interview - can I ask out of curiosity what they mentioned about the positions to you. Last I heard from them they were trying to sort out dates for face to face interviews and would let me know 'soon' (this was start of jan).

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about those places. I'm really only interested in Dubai and possibly Abu Dhabi. 😊

Just to let you know, I wouldn't get my hopes up about getting Abu Dhabi or Dubai. They're high demand school, especially for existing teachers to transfer to. It's rare enough for a first year teacher to be offered a place there, especially in Dubai.

Hello.

My understanding so far of SABIS recruitment is that the communication between them are terrible so I would email HR and ask what is going on. They got back to me within a couple of days telling me to send documents. As soon as I sent the documents, which I did the night of the first interview, I got the date of the second interview days after.

The interviewer did not give me any details about those places he just advised me to research them because they are the only positions left in the Emirates, which was my first choice. Hope this helps a little.

• Advertisement

tosspot wrote: »
    Hi. Apologies if this has been asked before but just starting to look into teaching in the UAE now. I'm a qualified primary school teacher and have my DIP qualification but no permanent job yet so looking to get away for a while. Just wondering if SABIS is the only way for me to apply to work over there or if there are other ways to apply also. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

I am in a similar position to you. I qualify in July as a primary teacher. I have signed up for recruitment agents in Manchester but I really want to work abroad for a few years before I commit to a career in the UK. I have no major responsibilities so this is the best time to do it I guess. There are other schools that take on teachers but most require 2 years of teaching experience. Are you an NQT? The major issue for me is whether my induction year as an NQT will be valid in a SABIS school. I believe the induction year is time limited and any school abroad has to be approved for the department of education to allow us to do our NQT year. The interviewer told me they are approved by the ministry of education but I am not sure if this is the same thing.

I live in Manama, if you've any questions blast away.

Hello,

Any advice on living in Manama would be appreciated. I have googled it but can't really trust the internet and would like to hear it 'from the horses mouth'. I am guessing you work for SABIS in Manama. If so it could be likely that I get placed in the same school as you if there is only one SABIS school there.

This is useful information. It would be good to hear more about general life in Manama.

This is useful information. It would be good to hear more about general life in Manama.

Hi Rachael. Yeah there is only one Sabis school in Manama, so you would definitely be here is you got the job. I know a few teachers are leaving this year (inside info) so you should definitely have a spot if you want to go for it.

life here is pretty tame to be honest. The apartments are right next to the school (takes me 3 minutes to get to class from my bedroom) and all the teachers/admin staff live here.

There's a bus which takes you shopping in Manama two times a week (free of charge) for 3 hours. I use the time to do cheap food shopping, clothes shopping, general RnR.

The weather is mostly incredible. There is a stretch in Summer though were it's just unbearably hot (May-August). You can defo get your tan on if you want.

There's a lot of stuff to do if you want to spend the money. Like indoor skying, camel riding, weekend trips to surrounding Islands (for partying), weekend trip to Dubai, cinema, tree of life, oil museum, the souq, water skiing etc. The main problem with all of this is that you'll need a car.

If you don't want to constantly spend money on taxis (€30-40 for round trip to Manama) then you can rent a car. That'll cost around €300 a month plus petrol. You can share the car and get it for dirt cheap though. So renting a car between 2-3 people is a good idea.

Hi Rachael. Yeah there is only one Sabis school in Manama, so you would definitely be here is you got the job. I know a few teachers are leaving this year (inside info) so you should definitely have a spot if you want to go for it.

life here is pretty tame to be honest. The apartments are right next to the school (takes me 3 minutes to get to class from my bedroom) and all the teachers/admin staff live here.

There's a bus which takes you shopping in Manama two times a week (free of charge) for 3 hours. I use the time to do cheap food shopping, clothes shopping, general RnR.

The weather is mostly incredible. There is a stretch in Summer though were it's just unbearably hot (May-August). You can defo get your tan on if you want.

There's a lot of stuff to do if you want to spend the money. Like indoor skying, camel riding, weekend trips to surrounding Islands (for partying), weekend trip to Dubai, cinema, tree of life, oil museum, the souq, water skiing etc. The main problem with all of this is that you'll need a car.

If you don't want to constantly spend money on taxis (€30-40 for round trip to Manama) then you can rent a car. That'll cost around €300 a month plus petrol. You can share the car and get it for dirt cheap though. So renting a car between 2-3 people is a good idea.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have tried to find information about the number of pupils/ staff in each of the schools that have been offered but can't find anything. I have been looking for school reports as well. Can you tell me this info? So are you staying another year? It would be nice to know someone out there beforehand.

Also how many minutes drive is it to Manama? I would definitely be getting a car. Is there many shops around the school/ apartment? Or are you pretty isolated? So many questions!

There's around 1000 kids in grade school here, then there's KG also added to that. I'm actually not sure of the number of staff to be honest. I suppose there's one teacher for every 30 kids or so, then admin on top of that.

The standard of grades is very high. You're expected to keep grades above 85% even in KG. Even if your kids have learning disorders. Although most can't do that, if you're a native Bahrain then you pretty much cannot fail no matter how bad your grades. There's so many kids struggling in school with bad grades, at first I couldn't understand how they got so far in school, then I realized the aforementioned fact. To make matters worse, these are usually the worst behaved kids also.

Also it's worth noting that as the grades get higher the number of classes diminish. There's like, a handful of kids in grads 7-12 but hundreds in the lower ones. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but if I had to guess...

1: They can't cope with the workload and leave.
    2: They just fail exams.
    3: They get sense and go to a proper school.

I doubt I'll stay another year to be honest. The only reason I'd want to would be for money, and I have enough of that now. No ones knows anyone out here, if you come you'll make around 30 friends in training week easy :) Then you'll likely spend most time with your room mate. It's around a 30 minute drive to Manama center. There's some things within walking distance to the school. A shop or two, gym, crossfit, bird sanctuary, hotels, bars.

Keep asking if you've any questions lol :D Sabis tell you nothing online really. It's about looking good more so than actually being good here.

There's around 1000 kids in grade school here, then there's KG also added to that. I'm actually not sure of the number of staff to be honest. I suppose there's one teacher for every 30 kids or so, then admin on top of that.

The standard of grades is very high. You're expected to keep grades above 85% even in KG. Even if your kids have learning disorders. Although most can't do that, if you're a native Bahrain then you pretty much cannot fail no matter how bad your grades. There's so many kids struggling in school with bad grades, at first I couldn't understand how they got so far in school, then I realized the aforementioned fact. To make matters worse, these are usually the worst behaved kids also.

Also it's worth noting that as the grades get higher the number of classes diminish. There's like, a handful of kids in grads 7-12 but hundreds in the lower ones. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but if I had to guess...

I doubt I'll stay another year to be honest. The only reason I'd want to would be for money, and I have enough of that now. No ones knows anyone out here, if you come you'll make around 30 friends in training week easy :) Then you'll likely spend most time with your room mate. It's around a 30 minute drive to Manama center. There's some things within walking distance to the school. A shop or two, gym, crossfit, bird sanctuary, hotels, bars.

Keep asking if you've any questions lol :D Sabis tell you nothing online really. It's about looking good more so than actually being good here.

Wow, that's a lot of children. How have you found the support out there? That's my main concern really. I have some experience of teaching but this year it will be my first time with a class of children and it would be nice to know about the atmosphere in the staff room and general support. Thanks again :)

Wow, that's a lot of children. How have you found the support out there? That's my main concern really. I have some experience of teaching but this year it will be my first time with a class of children and it would be nice to know about the atmosphere in the staff room and general support. Do you or any of the other teachers have a teaching assistant?
    Thanks again :)

You'll only have a teaching assistant if you're in KG. Other than that the support system is normal I think. You'll have plenty of help from the admin staff whenever you need it :) They want you to do well lol.

Having said that though, some of the staff is useless and damn near incompetent (annoyingly so). You'll get to know the reliable people once you're here, for obvious reasons I can't name them here :p

• Advertisement

I am in a similar position to you. I qualify in July as a primary teacher. I have signed up for recruitment agents in Manchester but I really want to work abroad for a few years before I commit to a career in the UK. I have no major responsibilities so this is the best time to do it I guess. There are other schools that take on teachers but most require 2 years of teaching experience. Are you an NQT? The major issue for me is whether my induction year as an NQT will be valid in a SABIS school. I believe the induction year is time limited and any school abroad has to be approved for the department of education to allow us to do our NQT year. The interviewer told me they are approved by the ministry of education but I am not sure if this is the same thing.

I really would not recommend sabis if you have just qualified. It wouldn't count as your NQT year because you aren't teaching properly, it's an outdated and irrelevant curriculum and you do no planning so it's not really worth anything. See my post a few pages back for more info.

Advertisement