Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pay to change your appearance?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    It is important to you, OP. That's all that matters.

Personally, I have a neck like a jockey's bollix, am far from an oil painting, but couldn't care less. But I completely understand when people want to make something "go away". Its a personal progression.

I won't look like Oliver Giroud afterwards, I'll still be short and overweight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

No
    efb wrote: »
    well this is neither, a personal defect if you will.

If you can afford it, if it will make you happy and you are aware of any complications that could arise then I think you should go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

No
    I'd get my nose straightened.... I broke it when I was a child without knowing until I was having sinus problems in my teens and the doctor pointed it out.
    and get my ear corrected... after an operation at 7 they stitched the er back too far....

I sound lovely looking :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Just the philosophy of altering my body permanently for aesthetic reasons. I appreciate all the genuine feedback.

Is this the type of thing that concerns you?

No
    Karl Stein wrote: »
    Is this the type of thing that concerns you?

No. Not at all.

• Advertisement

No. Not at all.

Well then I'd say feck it - drive on and get it done and feel good about it.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

I'd like to have a spare head that I could keep in the fridge so that when I come home pissed I could swap the drunk head on my shoulders for the sober hangover-free head in the fridge.

No
    More No's than yes's I see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No
    Yes, to be honest. I'm not gonna say what, it's just something that bothers me. I may not get anything done about it, but it's a possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

No
    I would depending on what it was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

my surgery.

I don't think so at all. You should do what makes you happy. I would never consider that a person having corrective surgery was vain because of their choice. More likely brave. Each to their own but people who want to look 20 and have surgery to achieve this, when they are in fact 70 are a little bit misguided and out of sync with reality in my opinion. But if they must do it to be happy then it's not up to me to judge.

I would also imagine that those who have multiple cosmetic rather than corrective surgeries are insecure rather than vain. I think vain is an awful, judgemental word really. If someone is obsessed with their appearance to such an extent it usually indicates self esteem problems and psychological issues. And on saying that if someone has a feature that actually is outside the average (very large nose, ears that stick out etc) it can make them feel less secure in themselves than they would if that feature did not stand out, so if they want to correct it I don't see that as vain or any reason others should pass judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

When I was a teenager, things bothered me. Grew more comfortable with all features as I got older. In my forties now and really wouldn't be bothered enough to do anything.

If something bothered me enough, I would.

No
    Now Im watching surgery videos, so v interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

No
    You want to do something to your body so you have more confidence in yourself? More power to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I voted no, but at the same time I am getting tattoo done on 27th. I guess I was thinking more about surgery... Ups.

No
    Well, I voted no, but at the same time I am getting tattoo done on 27th. I guess I was thinking more about surgery... Ups.

This is surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

No
    Hell yeah. Every time I use moisturiser or makeup, or get a manicure.
    If I won the Euromillions, I would get a facelift: the passing years are not kind to women. Boob lift too, probably. And hair transplant.
    For a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    I'd get a whole set of new teeth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

No
    Go with it. I'd like breast reduction and will get it done when I can afford it. Can't see why there's anything to even question really.

Hoping to get my nose and teeth extended next year.

You're funny, you are. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I'd like surgery to fix a break in my nose. I was offered to be put on a list to fix it because I can only breathe properly through one nostril, but because it looked fine and thankfully didn't look 'broken,' I said no. Only problem is that I've had chronic sinusitis since the break so I'd probably get a nose job now to correct that.

Wanted a breast reduction for years, but decided I'm perfectly happy with how I look, and working on my core in the gym helped with the back pain, so it's not worth the scarring, for me.

No
    Wow far more in favour today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hoping to get my nose and teeth extended next year.

You finally decided to become a fully fledged horse? Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Last year I spent 4k out of my life savings to get an appendix transplant. I feel like a new person.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eternal wrote: »
    Go with it. I'd like breast reduction and will get it done when I can afford it. Can't see why there's anything to even question really.

Nooooooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most people that have cosmetic surgery aren't people who look in the mirror and say 'I'm gorgeous, but I could be just a little bit more gorgeous'. They're people whose confidence suffers quite badly from perceived flaws. I think for those people, if it gives them peace of mind, then why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

No
    The problem with anti-ageing surgery and Botox is it doesn't work all that well. If I could take a pill and max out at looking 35 for life I'd do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

No
    I've had brain surgery, so that part doesn't scare me. Just the philosophy of altering my body permanently for aesthetic reasons. I appreciate all the genuine feedback.

Am I overthinking it?

changing your squint even if you can see fine is no more or less vain than fixing teeth, which we do on the public dime. That's entirely cosmetic because people with crooked teeth can eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No
    I'd pay to get all the baby fat sucked out of my face/cheeks. Can't get rid of it. Nearly 30 and get told I look like a 23 year old tops. It's not as great as it sounds with ladies generally going for the older man and I get 19/20 year olds hitting on me and then they become mortified when they find out my age. Then when I go chatting to women in their late 20s early 30s they think I'm a kid and get the condescending "ah sure you're only a baby why are you talking to us" lark.

Vain yes, but it make day to day life that bit easier and in my job as I'm getting promoted regularly and the younger guys under me look older and more experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No
    Most people that have cosmetic surgery aren't people who look in the mirror and say 'I'm gorgeous, but I could be just a little bit more gorgeous'. They're people whose confidence suffers quite badly from perceived flaws. I think for those people, if it gives them peace of mind, then why not?

On the flip-side a lot of the negative views of cosmetic surgery are aimed more at celebrities and the like who seem to have more money than sense and go about ruining the good looks they've had in the first place with excessive surgeries.

Advertisement