Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tgdaly wrote: »
    Would surely make sense for Mariota to throw no? I hear there is a lot of questions among the scouts as to whether he can make all the NFL throws. I hear people are pretty much sold on Winston's throwing ability, it's just his off the field stuff that worries them

Ask the nite reason for mariota not to throw, because he presumably knows he can't make them all, best to keep the productive teams guessing than remove all doubt and affect his draft stock. People will gamble on a qb, so why give them reason not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Ask the nite reason for mariota not to throw, because he presumably knows he can't make them all, best to keep the productive teams guessing than remove all doubt and affect his draft stock. People will gamble on a qb, so why give them reason not to?

I get what your saying, but I presume he would still be a top 5 pick with a bad combine anyways? I suppose maybe he wants to be the number 1 pick and ye as you say keep teams guessing, But I don't think the Titans will stick with Mettenberger and would let Mariota slip past them at two, whereas a good combine could sway the Buccaneers in his favor over Winston?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Tbh i will be massively surprised if we take either of them.

I woukd say part of the reason DLB is coming to Nashville is that he gets to use our pick on the D.

I think mettenberger will play well this year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Tbh i will be massively surprised if we take either of them.

I woukd say part of the reason DLB is coming to Nashville is that he gets to use our pick on the D.

I think mettenberger will play well this year

I like the look of Mettenberger, tbh. Just a shame the OL was a revolving door.

That has to be a focus. Althougth I don't know how many starters were rookies, or what the injury situation was like, etc, truth be told.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

One rookie who played for about 8 games, far and away the best player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Would surely make sense for Mariota to throw no? I hear there is a lot of questions among the scouts as to whether he can make all the NFL throws. I hear people are pretty much sold on Winston's throwing ability, it's just his off the field stuff that worries them

I might be taking you up wrong here but I would say Mariota has the arm to make all the required throws with ease. The issue would be that he didn't go through reads & progressions in Oregon so it might take time to open up the full play book to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,747 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Winston and Mariota both look like deers in the headlights when under pressure. I don't think either of them should be top 10 picks. Mariota has a lot of questions to answer, can he do the job from under center? can he check down? can he read the D?

Winston tried too often to sling the ball away when under pressure instead of just going to ground and taking the sack. The guy isn't one who seems to learn from his mistakes so I'm not so sure he will ever be successful in the NFL.

Last year I thought Derek Carr was the best QB in the draft. What I seen with him was that he would cover the ball up and take the sack. He had plenty of experience under center and while he would throw into double coverage it was almost always a throw that only the receiver would be able to grab and it was always his no.1 receiver Davante Adams.

Personally I think Carr worked out to be the best QB of last year's class in year one. We'll see how things go in year two but I'd expect him to improve a lot and stay ahead of the rest.

This year the QB that stands out to me as guaranteed to make it in the NFL is Sean Mannion. He looks like the guy that has what it takes to be a top passer in the NFL. He has played in a pro-style offense and has excellent footwork in the pocket. One little weakness is stepping back even further to try and complete while under pressure meaning he gives up more yards when he is sacked. That is something that can easily be got rid of by just telling him its not allowed. He has all the throws and he has the height at 6'6" to make it happen.

The one that interests me the most is Brett Hundley. The guy has the look of an Aaron Rodgers about him but we don't know what he is like under center. His pro day and combine will be closely watched and if he can do well under center I think he will be the first QB off the board. Until we see this stuff though its very hard to rate him.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The one that interests me the most is Brett Hundley. The guy has the look of an Aaron Rodgers about him but we don't know what he is like under center. His pro day and combine will be closely watched and if he can do well under center I think he will be the first QB off the board. Until we see this stuff though its very hard to rate him.

I don't think there is a cat in hello chance that he is the 1st QB off the board but it makes no end to me. Hundley played behind a sieve of an o-line last year that did damage to his draft stock beyond his control. If I am drafting in the top 5 & think Hundley would be there late 1st/early 2nd then I would rather add Gregory or Williams with picking up Hundley then. He would be my pick of the QB's from this draft.

Didn't see much from Mannion at the senior bowl to think he would make it at the next level but it's obviously tough conditions to show your best.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I don't think there is a cat in hello chance that he is the 1st QB off the board but it makes no end to me. Hundley played behind a sieve of an o-line last year that did damage to his draft stock beyond his control. If I am drafting in the top 5 & think Hundley would be there late 1st/early 2nd then I would rather add Gregory or Williams with picking up Hundley then. He would be my pick of the QB's from this draft.

Didn't see much from Mannion at the senior bowl to think he would make it at the next level but it's obviously tough conditions to show your best.

i could see the titans doing this, there is a lot of love for Hundley, if we get Williams which is the assumption as this point, i could see us taking a QB with our second pick

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I might be taking you up wrong here but I would say Mariota has the arm to make all the required throws with ease. The issue would be that he didn't go through reads & progressions in Oregon so it might take time to open up the full play book to him.

Well I'd imagine reads and progressions are what the scouts are on about but then again I don't know. Was there a big difference between the styles of offense both QBs played in that would lead scouts to this conclusion? Did Winston play in a more pro style offense?

• Advertisement

Well I'd imagine reads and progressions are what the scouts are on about but then again I don't know. Was there a big difference between the styles of offense both QBs played in that would lead scouts to this conclusion? Did Winston play in a more pro style offense?

Yea FSU would have been considered a fairly pro style offense where as Oregon would be pretty much alot of read option and all from the shot gun, Mark Helfrich would run a similar enough style to what Chip Kelly had down there.

The throws Mariota had to make in college were to wide open (by NFL standards) receivers and he usually had one read for the throw. Winston would have been asked to go through his progressions alot more while staying in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Mayock releases his positional rankings:

Shaq Thompson at safety is an interesting one..

Quarterback
    1. Jameis Winston, Florida State
    2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
    3. Bryce Petty, Baylor
    4. Brett Hundley, UCLA
    5. Garrett Grayson, Colorado State

Running back
    1. Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin
    2. Todd Gurley, Georgia
    3. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
    4. Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
    5. Tevin Coleman, Indiana

Wide receiver
    1. Kevin White, West Virginia
    2. Amari Cooper, Alabama
    3. DeVante Parker, Louisville
    4. Dorial Green-Beckham, Missouri
    5. Devin Funchess, Michigan

Tight end
    1. Maxx Williams, Minnesota
    2. Clive Walford, Miami (Fla.)
    3. Nick O'Leary, Florida State
    4. Tyler Kroft, Rutgers
    5. Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

Interior offensive linemen
    1. Brandon Scherff, Iowa
    2. Cameron Erving, Florida State
    3. Laken Tomlinson, Duke
    4. A.J. Cann, South Carolina
    5. Tre' Jackson, Florida State

Offensive tackle
    1. T.J. Clemmings, Pittsburgh
    2. Andrus Peat, Stanford
    3. La'el Collins, LSU
    4. Ereck Flowers, Miami (Fla.)
    5t. Cedric Ogbuehi, Texas A&M
    5t. D.J. Humphries, Florida

Interior defensive linemen
    1. Leonard Williams, USC
    2. Danny Shelton, Washington
    3. Malcom Brown, Texas
    4. Arik Armstead, Oregon
    5t. Jordan Phillips, Oklahoma
    5t. Eddie Goldman, Florida State

Edge rusher
    1. Dante Fowler, Jr., Florida
    2. Randy Gregory, Nebraska
    3. Shane Ray, Missouri
    4. Vic Beasley, Clemson
    5. Bud Dupree, Kentucky

Linebacker
    1. Paul Dawson, TCU
    2. Benardrick McKinney, Mississippi State
    3. Denzel Perryman, Miami (Fla.)
    4. Eric Kendricks, UCLA
    5. Stephone Anthony, Clemson

Cornerback
    1. Trae Waynes, Michigan State
    2. Marcus Peters, Washington
    3. Jalen Collins, LSU
    4. P.J. Williams, Florida State
    5. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest

Safety
    1. Landon Collins, Alabama
    2. Shaq Thompson, Washington
    3. Derron Smith, Fresno State
    4. Jaquiski Tartt, Samford
    5. Ibraheim Campbell, Northwestern

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470108/article/mike-mayocks-position-rankings-for-2015-nfl-draft

i think its set in stone now the titans are doing Defense with their 1st pick.

Most mocks are linking them with Willams who seems beastly by all accounts.

Shan Thompson is a really interesting player.he has played nickel corner, weak side OLB & safety for Washington & he did exceptionally well in all positions.

I wouldn't be too concerned about what designation you wanted to give him on D, the guy is going to make plays. His one weakness in at OLB vs the run but it wouldn't concern me enough to downgrade him.

He would be the number 1 safety for me & the number 1 ILB if you drafted for a 3-4 team. I would have no qualms about us grabbing him with our 1st round pick.

He scored 6 total TD's this year, 4 on D & 2 at running back. He could be a mini JJ Watt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭nerd69

i think its set in stone now the titans are doing Defense with their 1st pick.

Most mocks are linking them with Willams who seems beastly by all accounts.

i wouldn't say that mocks mean little at this stage to be fair

nerd69 wrote: »
    i wouldn't say that mocks mean little at this stage to be fair

yeah i know, Titans need help on D and they hired Le Beau, id imagine he came with the terms of give me the 1st round pick

yeah i know, Titans need help on D and they hired Le Beau, id imagine he came with the terms of give me the 1st round pick

true and its a nice spot to be in leonard williams is probably the best player in the draft taking position out of it or its entirely possible they could get a big haul off of a team like the jets for mariota and still maby get a randy gregory its a damn good position to be in

true and its a nice spot to be in leonard williams is probably the best player in the draft taking position out of it or its entirely possible they could get a big haul off of a team like the jets for mariota and still maby get a randy gregory its a damn good position to be in[/QU

I think the Titans either draft the second QB or trade down to be honest. I think if they decide not to pick a QB there is too much potential value to be gained from trading down rather than pick Williams at 2.

I think the Titans should take Williams. It gives them something to build around on the defence while seeing if Mettenberger is their guy. I think Mettenberger was a steal last year and picking a QB this year is a bit of a minefield. Neither of them deserve to be picked so high. Winston has the mind of a 10 year old and Mariota was babied at Oregon. A team on a rebuild should go for a safe pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dorsett is a speed demon but I think Coates at 6/1 is worth a bet for fastest 40 time. I just think there's some value there, as there is with JJ Nelson at 11/1, another I'll have a small bet on mainly for interest.

00b93659f234a65b85daff95f67b3a62.png

Has anyone else found any draft/combine related bets? Quite a few people on here did very well off same last year if I remember correctly.
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Mayock's rankings:

Tight end
    1. Maxx Williams, Minnesota
    2. Clive Walford, Miami (Fla.)
    3. Nick O'Leary, Florida State
    4. Tyler Kroft, Rutgers
    5. Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

Does anyone else like TE Jesse James of Penn State? He really looks like an NFL TE to me. Not as good a blocker as he should be given his size and strength from what I have seen, but he'll get by in that aspect for sure. There's not many people talking about him with the top TE's and he seems somewhat overlooked at the minute, but I reckon he shoots up the draft boards after the combine. A player I'm very high on. He'd be a steal at his projected 4th round selection IMO. I'd be delighted if he was someone my Ravens took a look at in that range pending Pitta/Daniels developments.

• Advertisement

I think the Titans either draft the second QB or trade down to be honest. I think if they decide not to pick a QB there is too much potential value to be gained from trading down rather than pick Williams at 2.

that all depends on how the combine/pro days/ interviews go theres already talk of team not liking mariota and if winston does not nail his interviews (or if he does something stupid in the offseason) teams will sour on him quickly. personally i dont know if they would get that much off someone looking to trade up to 2 for mariota if the draft happened tomorrow anyway maby 1 first and by all accounts williams looks like a genuine stud you can build a defence around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No running backs selected in the 1st round for 2013 & 2014

Anyone reckon we'll get a 1st rounder this year?

mikemac1 wrote: »

I think Gordon will def go in the 1st & if Gurley checks out so will he.

id be pretty supprised if there was not two to be honest gurly and an other

I'd tend to agree with Higgins and Nerd. I'd say one for sure (Gordon), possibly two (Gurley). It probably would be certainly two if Gurley hadn't done his ACL, though personally I prefer Gurley.

There are some teams at the back end of the first that could do with RB's though, so you could see Gurley being picked up by someone in that range. The Seahawks may be a team best placed to take him at #31. They don't have a whole lot of needs on either side of the ball and who knows what's going to happen with Lynch? He'd be a very interesting replacement for the future.

On a similar note, this RB class is absolutely stacked. There's going to be some very happy teams taking RB's in the mid rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The fact this class is stacked with running backs makes me think Gurley won't be a first rounder. If it was a poor class I think he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,747 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Character issues are the only thing holding me back from thinking that Jay Ajayi is the best RB in this year's draft class. He is still learning the position and he doesn't have elite speed but he has everything else and is just solid. Had a couple of fumbles but he got so many carries that it was bound to happen.

I hope this is true (from Matt Miller):
    — After seeing Dorial Green-Beckham in person before the Super Bowl, I started asking NFL scouts what they've heard about his year at Oklahoma. As one Southwest scout assigned to Oklahoma told me, "He's completely turned his life around. Big brother moved in, whipped his ass and took control. He's on the straight-and-narrow since leaving Mizzou."

Paully D wrote: »
    I hope this is true (from Matt Miller):

If a team believes it he's a first round reciever

• Advertisement

If a team believes it he's a first round reciever

From what I've seen so far he's the best receiver in the draft class IMO. Due to the off-the-field concerns I think he may well slip out of the first round but without question he's a first round talent. I'd imagine Josh Gordon will frighten a lot of teams off though.

Advertisement