Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Always_Running

This might interest the Cavan supporters living in New York
    http://www.gaanewyork.com/news/350334/Bringing_Breffni_to_the_Bronx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

This might interest the Cavan supporters living in New York
    http://www.gaanewyork.com/news/350334/Bringing_Breffni_to_the_Bronx
    Could be an excuse too for some irish based supporters to take a spin to New York!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Listening to the game tonight it seemed we made hard work of it but a win is a win
    Tyrone probably too strong but a win would be great to get a bit of confidence going into what will be a tough league campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Never been as cold watching a game - it was baltic in Breffni tonight.

A win is a win alright but we seriously need to sort out our goalkeeper issue. Another game were a complete brain fart from gilly nearly cost us the game. His kickouts were poor too. Still we kept plugging away and worked a good goal after their keeper had his own gilly moment.

Some good performances in blue, Killian Clarke was Motm but for me Ryan McCluskey was the stand out player - controlled the game and as honest as the day is long in the work he gets through. For Cavan, Rory Dunne had a good game on Quigley - disrupted a lot of the ball in, Fergal Flanagan got through a trojan amount of work. Conor Moynagh nailed down the centre back spot with another solid show. Niall McDermott was a constant threat and never wasted a ball. Tom Hayes was lively but was living off scraps.

In the first half we were very disjointed and the ball was way too slow and lots of aimless cross field passing whereas Fermanagh moved the ball through the hands quickly and with purpose. Second half we were much better at overlaps and moving the ball better.

Good to have an extra game Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Has a time and venue for the final been decided?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Has a time and venue for the final been decided?

This Saturday Athletic Grounds - think 7:30 - hard to heard the time on the tannoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Tom Joad wrote: »
    This Saturday Athletic Grounds - think 7:30 - hard to heard the time on the tannoy.

Those details are correct.

I can't remember the last time Cavan beat Tyrone in a competitive senior game. Was it this century?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭celt262

A win is a win alright but we seriously need to sort out our goalkeeper issue. Another game were a complete brain fart from gilly nearly cost us the game. His kickouts were poor too. Still we kept plugging away and worked a good goal after their keeper had his own gilly moment.

Some good performances in blue, Killian Clarke was Motm but for me Ryan McCluskey was the stand out player - controlled the game and as honest as the day is long in the work he gets through. For Cavan, Rory Dunne had a good game on Quigley - disrupted a lot of the ball in, Fergal Flanagan got through a trojan amount of work. Conor Moynagh nailed down the centre back spot with another solid show. Niall McDermott was a constant threat and never wasted a ball. Tom Hayes was lively but was living off scraps.

In the first half we were very disjointed and the ball was way too slow and lots of aimless cross field passing whereas Fermanagh moved the ball through the hands quickly and with purpose. Second half we were much better at overlaps and moving the ball better.

I will have to disagree with you about the game Saturday night its one that could be done without in my opinion. The weekend could have been better used preparing for the Roscommon games.

Also where is James McEnroe for me he is Cavan's No 1 Centre back as Moynagh has only played one game of Senior football there.

So anyone know of the availability of these also.

Mackey
    Argue

celt262 wrote: »
    I will have to disagree with you about the game Saturday night its one that could be done without in my opinion. The weekend could have been better used preparing for the Roscommon games.

Also where is James McEnroe for me he is Cavan's No 1 Centre back as Moynagh has only played one game of Senior football there.

So anyone know of the availability of these also.

Mackey
    Argue

What better preparation can you get that playing a team of Tyrone's calibre. If nothing else it will be a chance to try out different options in goal!! I don't expect us to beat Tyrone based on last nights performance or indeed the one against Monaghan but it's nice to get to the final. Does Tyrone no harm every year to aim to win the McKenna Cup.

If we had lost last night the team and Hyland would have been slaughtered for losing to Fermanagh!!

Not sure where James McEnroe is at the moment-wasn't named lastor against Monaghan (is he with one of the colleges??). He has played a few times at centre back but that was only when Alan Clarke wasn't playing.

In my mind Moynagh is a natural centre back and led the under 21s from that position - last night when he started moving forward with the ball things started happening for Cavan - he gave two lovely intelligent kick passes that Mackey would have been proud of that led to scores for Cavan. It was refreshing to see after a lot of the ponderous cross field passing we had been doing to little effect up to that point.

Assuming that McEnroe will be around for the league, I would have him in the half back line with Fergal Flanagan on the other side and Moynagh in the middle.

It was interesting last night that Ryan McCluskey gave a masterclass of how to play centre back and shows how important that position is in the modern game. Particularly so as we are crying out for a playmaker in Cavan to get the right ball into the forwards. Only Niall McDermott could make the ball stick for Cavan last night and made a lot with very poor service.

Mackey is injured afaik - had heard he was close to coming back but not really sure. Argue is with his college so should be back for the league - another good option to have and one of the few big men we have. Really stood out last night and against Monaghan that the options on the bench were all more of the same - light forwards to replace light forwards.

Anyway it is only January!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Blue in hope

There was some good performances last night Killian Clarke was MOTM Rory Dunne was solid Fergal Flanagan did well after a slow opening where he was caught out a few times the same with Conor Moynagh. I felt that when Micheal Lyng came on he was excellent .Out team play improved alot of ball went through him. He scored the best point of the night and his ball through to Martin Dunne for what was a stonewall penalty that wasn't given was great.

My main concern was that we were to slow moving the ball forward and let Fermanagh get numbers back the whole time. We carried the ball far to often into the middle of three /four Fermanagh men and the ball was turned over. While Gilly will get plenty of flack for the goal it should be remembered that we played the ball back to him because we were to slow to move it forward and were forced back.

I have to mention the ref who was very poor last night for both sides I might add. There were blatant fouls that he let go the Dunne penalty and Quigley been pulled down on the 21m line in front of the goals in the first half. I can understand player frustration on what was been allowed as a fair tackle one minute was been blown up the next. The refs used in the McKenna cup are meant to be the up and coming ones. God help us all!!

Blue in hope- Just edited your last post to make it clearer what the quoted text is - to quote a post just use the quote button on the bottom right hand side. :)

There was some good performances last night Killian Clarke was MOTM Rory Dunne was solid Fergal Flanagan did well after a slow opening where he was caught out a few times the same with Conor Moynagh. I felt that when Micheal Lyng came on he was excellent .Out team play improved alot of ball went through him. He scored the best point of the night and his ball through to Martin Dunne for what was a stonewall penalty that wasn't given was great.

My main concern was that we were to slow moving the ball forward and let Fermanagh get numbers back the whole time. We carried the ball far to often into the middle of three /four Fermanagh men and the ball was turned over. While Gilly will get plenty of flack for the goal it should be remembered that we played the ball back to him because we were to slow to move it forward and were forced back.

I have to mention the ref who was very poor last night for both sides I might add. There were blatant fouls that he let go the Dunne penalty and Quigley been pulled down on the 21m line in front of the goals in the first half. I can understand player frustration on what was been allowed as a fair tackle one minute was been blown up the next. The refs used in the McKenna cup are meant to be the up and coming ones. God help us all!!

Good post and would agree with most of it. Apart from Gilly - he is a liability at this stage - not a game goes by where he doesn't have a brain fart of some sort. Refereeing was awful and very inconsistent.

Lyng made a difference when he came on and I would share your concerns about the way we moved the ball - way too slow and with no real purpose in the first half. I sound like a Conor Moynagh fanboy :D but when he started moving forward with the ball with had a lot more purpose - Lyng (apart from the first ball he played) started a lot of good things.

BBC NI are showing the game on saturday night , i think its available on the red button according to live gaelic , Good to see as weather conditions are not on my side this time of year for travelling the long trip
    what happened to farrellys or galligans chance in goals ? surely he has to be better than gilly ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    BBC NI are showing the game on saturday night , i think its available on the red button according to live gaelic , Good to see as weather conditions are not on my side this time of year for travelling the long trip
    what happened to farrellys or galligans chance in goals ? surely he has to be better than gilly ?

I'd say farrelly will be the No 1 goalkeeper this year. Gilly has made so many mistakes its not even funny anymore.

Farrelly is a better option than Gilly but his kick-outs can be inconsistent too. It's a pity that the Raymond Galligan experiment didn't get more time during the McKenna Cup but it's still an option worth pursuing when he's back.

Farrelly is a better option than Gilly but his kick-outs can be inconsistent too. It's a pity that the Raymond Galligan experiment didn't get more time during the McKenna Cup but it's still an option worth pursuing when he's back.

Is Galligan injured ?

celt262 wrote: »
    Is Galligan injured ?

No he's abroad on holidays. Am sure when he booked them the last thing he was thinking was a call up was on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I think people are being a little harsh on Fran. He made a fine stop at the end of the Monaghan game which won the game for us. Two of his high profile mistakes were made at U21 level, has there been many big errors at Senior level?

I won't get to the game Saturday night. I also don't have Sky so don't have the red button. Anyone know if this can be streamed or does the BBC player show it online (could use a VPN) or would any pub in Dublin be showing it?!

I think people are being a little harsh on Fran. He made a fine stop at the end of the Monaghan game which won the game for us. Two of his high profile mistakes were made at U21 level, has there been many big errors at Senior level?

I won't get to the game Saturday night. I also don't have Sky so don't have the red button. Anyone know if this can be streamed or does the BBC player show it online (could use a VPN) or would any pub in Dublin be showing it?!

Boars head might but i doubt it due to clashing with other sports
    He has made his fair share of mistakes at senior ......monaghan in clones to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭rrs

Made a costly mistake in the UlsterSemi final against Monaghan, could possibly have done better with the goal against Roscommon in the League final last year too. also made a howler of a mistake Westmeath in the qualifiers which resulted in a goal

Goalkeeper is a very important position, gives the full back confidence knowing the player behind is dependable, the Cavan full back line I don't think would have that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bear on the square

Mackey and Mcenroe are still injured they were both on water duty last night. Was told Mackey wont be rushed and wont be back until half way through the league. I believe Argue got injured with Jordanstown, hasn't played for u21s either

Is the game tonight being televised?

tanko wrote: »
    Is the game tonight being televised?

BBC ni red button

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

game also online on bbc website.

half time Cavan up 10 to 6
    Cavan more than worth the lead.
    Tyrone got what was a clear point disallowed, but I'll take that as a good omen for Cavan.

Tyrone really stepping it up now. Lots of aimless forward play by cavan.

Jaysus, Mark Sidebottom has to be the worst sports commentator in the world.

well i think the less said about that 2nd half the better
    i think it goes to show how far we are realistically away from the bigger teams in ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Thunderbirds

cavan4sam wrote: »
    well i think the less said about that 2nd half the better
    i think it goes to show how far we are realistically away from the bigger teams in ulster

So why just discredit the first half?

Hugely frustrated and disappointed by the second half after a very positive first half. We are missing someone to make things happen and deliver incisive passes and a big target man in the forward line.

One thing that did strike me is that we have ran out of steam in two tough games this year (Monaghan and tonight). Is this just because of the heavy training done up to now or is it down to amount of effort it takes in denying the opposition space and there is no energy left in the second half of games. The same thing happened Fermanagh on Wednesday night after a very disciplined/ hard working first half they were visibly tired in the second half and gave a lot more space to Cavan. Heavy pitches probably don't help either.

It is only January though and a bit of perspective is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hugely frustrated and disappointed by the second half after a very positive first half. We are missing someone to make things happen and deliver incisive passes and a big target man in the forward line.

One thing that did strike me is that we have ran out of steam in two tough games this year (Monaghan and tonight). Is this just because of the heavy training done up to now or is it down to amount of effort it takes in denying the opposition space and there is no energy left in the second half of games. The same thing happened Fermanagh on Wednesday night after a very disciplined/ hard working first half they were visibly tired in the second half and gave a lot more space to Cavan. Heavy pitches probably don't help either.

It is only January though and a bit of perspective is needed.

I watched the game tonight and felt that Cavan needed a big target man in the second half. Probably needed two. The short hand-passing game had absolutely no effect in the second-half at all. In fact you need a free-taker too. A 40 yards free ended up being played short and a Cavan man was dispossessed on his own 50 yard line as a result.
    Tyrone's subs changed the game in the second half. Mickey is a brilliant tactician.

Advertisement