Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hiya... I really don't envy you. I had an awful time trying to get my little girl to take a bottle of EBM. She took a bottle of
    EBM at night for the first couple weeks of her life and then I stopped giving her the bottle altogether. When we went to try her again at around 3 months it was extremely hard, upsetting and frustrating.

Apparently the little ones learn how to assert themselves in their second month of life... I put the refusal of bottles down to this. And apparently as you have said, you'd need to be getting them used to a bottle before this phase. I found the MAM bottles finally worked for us with A LOT of perseverance... Everyday.... For a couple of months and then she finally took it. My girl was very stubborn and it can be very stressful. Here's a thread with some tips from parents who have gone through the same thing. Best of luck.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057216333/1/#post90530337

Thanks so much Sligo, I'll have a good read through that thread. Glad your perseverance paid off but goodness yes, it's stressful.

Lola I haven't tried the cup yet as wasn't sure if it should be a sippy cup or like the little cups that come with medicine. I'll have to pick up both next time I'm in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks so much Sligo, I'll have a good read through that thread. Glad your perseverance paid off but goodness yes, it's stressful.

Lola I haven't tried the cup yet as wasn't sure if it should be a sippy cup or like the little cups that come with medicine. I'll have to pick up both next time I'm in town.

I remember poor Sligo posting about this. I had the same issue to a lesser less stressful degree. I gave ebm for the first few weeks stopped and had to work quite hard to get her to take it again. Got there eventually. All about perseverance. Hope you get there soon. When you do make sure to give a bottle at least once a week to be sure it doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

My poor baby is almost 8 weeks and was in hospital with a chest infection. We wanted to give her a dummy to comfort her and the nurses had boxes of these little glucose dips to dip the dummy in. The nurse said it helps newer babies suck the dummy. Maybe you can get them somewhere. Good luck!
    Hi Margo, I've tried the switch and at the end of a feed but all she does is hold it in her mouth, swirl it around and look at me as if I'm crazy - better than screaming though lol. I haven't ever heard about glucose though, can you explain a bit more?

Thanks so much ladies. Read Sligo's thread and just said it was like it could have been written by me! :pac: Will keep persevering, although to top it off she has a little chest infection now so is totally out of sorts anyway. No rest for the wicked! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

A strange question: is it ok or not for a baby other than your own to drink your breast milk? A friend is exclusively pumping as her baby won't latch. He won't take formula. Her stash of frozen milk is very low and she can't build it up. I have a freezer full of my breast milk and I'm still producing more than I need as I'm pumping to keep supply up as I'm back to work. Would it be weird/inappropriate/icky/wrong/insensitive of me to offer her some of my surplus? Thanks.

Edit to say I meant to offer my pumped, frozen milk. Not straight from the boob!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

A strange question: is it ok or not for a baby other than your own to drink your breast milk? A friend is exclusively pumping as her baby won't latch. He won't take formula. Her stash of frozen milk is very low and she can't build it up. I have a freezer full of my breast milk and I'm still producing more than I need as I'm pumping to keep supply up as I'm back to work. Would it be weird/inappropriate/icky/wrong/insensitive of me to offer her some of my surplus? Thanks.

It's still quite common in some cultures for different women to feed other babies...They call them milk siblings.
    I don't think it's weird or icky but actually a v nice gesture. All she nmight do is say no :) baba won't care !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Some people may feel it's weird or icky but it's a very generous and kind offer to make. If I were in your friend position I'd definitely use another woman's breastmilk over formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ro2015

Hi everyone, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm just curious to see if anyone here has experienced the same thing as me. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my first and I've none from the very start that I want to breast feed! I really am determined but I feel very overwhelmed! I'm fairly young and thought I'd be able to get a lot of advice/ support from my family and in laws. The thing is when they found out I was planning to breast feed they didn't have the reaction I expected! I thought everyone would be supportive as I want to do the best for my child and the people that surprised me the most were my MIL and own Mother! I would've thought because they're older they'd see breast feeding as the better option. My Mother doesn't bother me as much as I can tell her to keep her remarks to herself but my MIL is a bit of a nightmare as it is! Ever since she found out I was planning on breast feeding she keeps making bitchy remarks about how I don't know what I'm getting myself into and that breast fed babies never stop crying (is this even true?). She keeps suggesting I supplement some feeds with a bottle and I actually got upset the other day when she told me to make sure I'm prepared with bottles/ formula and stuff as I'll probably end up giving up!! My SIL, who already has children of her own isn't as bad but between the 2 of them they've made me feel isolated in my desicion! I feel so overwhelmed and i only really know the basics of breast feeding, I know it's the best for my baby and stuff but other than that I don't know where to start! Can I get classes at my hospital and do I have to wait until the baby is born? Is my MIL right, Should I get a steraliser and bottles in case?

I'm so sorry for this long post, I'm a complete newbie and feel so overwhelmed! Thanks so much in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi congratulations :) I'm sure there will be lots of other much more experienced mama's who will post great advise - I'm a first time mama so have a limited experience. Firstly, its great that you want to research first! Try reading this whole thread if you can from page 1 - I did this during the first few weeks of breastfeeding (that's one great thing about breastfeeding, you have one hand free for surfing the net!!) and I found it to be the best resource of all :D Another good site is kellymom.com

I'm sorry you are getting negative feedback from your family with regards to your intention to breastfeed. Unfortunately this can be quite common amongst the older generation I feel :( Formula feeding was the only way to go in those days and it can be hard for them to get their head around the idea of breastfeeding. Maybe you could look up your local ciudiu meetings before your baby is born - they can offer you great support and its good to have their number in your mobile if you do run into problems in the early days. Advise from the midwives in the hospital when you give birth can vary but don't be afraid to keep asking for help in getting breastfeeding established - most midwives do want you to succeed! Breastfed babies can lose up to 10% of their body weight in the first few days so don't be alarmed! Also, milk can be slower in coming in if you have a C-section - these are things I wish I had known at the time:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Other than that, do lots & lots of skin on skin with baby and forget about schedules etc just feed whenever baby demands it. It can be tiring but then having a baby is very tiring and as I have never bottle fed I can't compare! Try to have lots of food frozen in the fridge for the first few weeks. Stock up on multi mam balm and compresses and a nice comfy v shaped pillow. Sorry for the essay :o I'm sure you will get lots of great advise from the other mamas :):)

clare82 wrote: »
    It's still quite common in some cultures for different women to feed other babies...They call them milk siblings.
    I don't think it's weird or icky but actually a v nice gesture. All she nmight do is say no :) baba won't care !
    Some people may feel it's weird or icky but it's a very generous and kind offer to make. If I were in your friend position I'd definitely use another woman's breastmilk over formula.

Thanks ladies. I'd feel it's OK, as in I'd accept someone else's before I'd give him formula. But just wanted to see what others thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can help. My baby is a few days old and have decided to bottle feed. My breasts are now big and tender and need to relieve this and stop milk production, I am wondering how to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Congratulations Ro2015, like Soooky said try and read this thread from the start. I read it during pregnancy. It took weeks. I used to jot down notes from it.

As for classes in your hospital, it depends on your hospital. I attended the Coombe and they do a specific breastfeeding class. Try to find out if they have one and sign up.

It's great advice too to attend a breastfeeding meet up before you have your baby. I went to the local friends of breastfeeding group's coffee morning before birth. Look up you local Cuidiu, La Leche League or friends of breastfeeding. All groups will have people you can call if you need help.

From my own experience, I found support in the hospital to be great. I rang the bell a lot for help and asked a lot of questions. They were rushed off their feet but they always found time to give me a hand. At home I found it very difficult at first. There was a lot of tears and pain at different points. I used the balm and Multimam compresses a lot. My Phn wasn't happy with weight gain and suggested combined feeding. This made me upset but I was very determined and said no to her. I called the friends of breastfeeding buddy after that and she came to my house. My local health clinic runs a breast feeding support clinic which I started to attend. I find this great for meeting other bf mums and also phns who know all about breast feeding for advice and support.

There is also this thread too!!

I deliberately didn't get bottles or a sterilizer so that I didn't have an easy fall back. I really really wanted to bf.

My advice would be to surround yourself with support from outside your family. If you're determined you can make it work. I'm nearly 8 weeks in now and I love it.

er1983 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can help. My baby is a few days old and have decided to bottle feed. My breasts are now big and tender and need to relieve this and stop milk production, I am wondering how to do this?

As far as I know, and I might be wrong but cold things will help stop your milk. Try cutting a new nappy open and put ice cubes inside it and place this on your breasts. In the shower stand with your back to the water and avoid hot water straight on your breasts.

You might need to stop feeding gradually or else hand express a bit to stop engorgement. I'm not too familiar with this so maybe someone else can help. I just remember reading about cold things helping to stop milk production.

er1983 your milk has just come in so you're pretty much in the same position as every woman after giving birth. As said, keep your back to the shower as heat will stimulate your milk which you want to avoid. Cold compresses will help to relieve the uncomfortable engorgement. After that I don't really know. Perhaps post in the newborns and toddlers thread as well as you'll get opinions from other mums who might've stopped breastfeeding in the first few days. Congrats on your little one btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Ro2015 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm just curious to see if anyone here has experienced the same thing as me. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my first and I've none from the very start that I want to breast feed! I really am determined but I feel very overwhelmed! I'm fairly young and thought I'd be able to get a lot of advice/ support from my family and in laws.

Congratulations and well done for wanting to breastfeed, it's a really beautiful experience (once you get the hang of it!) and is the best food you can give your baby :)

I read the book Breastfeeding Made Simple - Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers by Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett and found it to be so informative. It'll arm you with all the facts that you will need, especially when you have no support.

I would highly recommend that you go to a specific breast-feeding class while pregnant by a lactation consultant. That way, you have made contact with one so if you need help after the birth, you at least know somebody. Don't rely on the hospital helping you out. I found some midwives good but others awful and made my life miserable while I was in hospital as they were pro-formula. In my case I was really determined to breastfeed so I kept on going but they really were awful.

Don't buy bottles, any of that stuff. You can get it if needs be after the birth but in my opinion, don't assume you will fail and need a back up plan. Assume you will be able to do it and if it works out, great. If not, well then you can go buy some bottles etc. then. No point spending money that may be unnecessary.

Ignore your family with their lack of support rubbish. If they are giving you grief tell them to back off and you're not interested unless they have supportive things to say. The reason I say this is that the first six weeks are very very very hard. Most likely you'll have your family pushing formula then and it's very easy then to just quit. But the first 6 weeks are meant to be hard as baby is learning and so are you and baby is trying to establish your milk supply for their needs. That time flies by and before you know it, it'll be a doddle. But I highly recommend getting a lactation consultant to help you at home for the first day or so. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

That's awful you're not getting the support from your families. I'm very lucky that my mother is very supportive, however my MIL is a different story. From day 1 I was told I was selfish as she wouldn't get to have a go feeding, how was my husband supposed to bond with our son if he couldn't feed him. She bought bottles as a gift "just in case". We had terrible problems feeding at first, but after 6 weeks we turned a corner and now at 11 weeks he's flying.

My husband ended up having to tell his mam to back off, that this was our decision and we were doing what's best for me and our soon.

Have found people on this thread great. Also there's sveral FB support groups. There's a lactation consultant in my local health center and she was great when we were having a tough time. I found the midwives in the Coombe great, one in particular really helped us to get feeding established, she kept me in an extra night as she wasn't happy with his feeding and then spent every feed with me the next day.

The person who is so negative though is the practise nurse at my GP. She actually told me she doesn't think people should be breastfed. I fed him during his 2 month jabs and she only had negative comments. If the same thing happens at his 4 month jabs I'll be finding a new doctor.

Best of luck Ro2015, It is hard at the start, but so so rewarding.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Sooky as posted some very good advice. I'm a first time mum and also found the older generation very adverse to bf - particularly my parents. But now my mum sees how calm and easy going my baby is and how little she cries she's crediting the bf and thinks it's some kind of miracle lol. I dunno whether it is or not but all I know is my baby is content and happy.

Except with the bottle of expressed breast milk :p we're now on the sippy cup and it's not much better. It's weird, she won't swallow any milk that gets in her mouth, just gargles and spits it out.

Quick question for those of you that pump. Baby is 8 weeks old and I would like to start pumping for the odd late evening feed or for the odd time I need to head out by myself for a few hours. I know it's recommended to pump early morning. I have a medela swing and freezer bags at the ready. I'm just wondering do I need to pump every morning at the same time once I start. Also if I'm not giving the expressed bottle every day and pumping will my supply be all over the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

bovril wrote: »
    Quick question for those of you that pump. Baby is 8 weeks old and I would like to start pumping for the odd late evening feed or for the odd time I need to head out by myself for a few hours. I know it's recommended to pump early morning. I have a medela swing and freezer bags at the ready. I'm just wondering do I need to pump every morning at the same time once I start. Also if I'm not giving the expressed bottle every day and pumping will my supply be all over the place?

I pumped almost every day when feeding my daughter. From my experience morning was indeed the best time and I always got most then. For that reason I tried to do it in and around the same time every day. It was easier to build it into my routine that way too. I found if I left it too late I either wouldn't get much or anything at all. That said there will be times when you can't so don't stress if you can't the odd day. Generally speaking though, I think you are better off doing everyday because your supply will be up and down otherwise. You'll have enough changes when the baby goes through growth spurts etc so best to try keep it consistent. Try to slot it in to a time when you know you're home and the baby might be sleeping. For me that was after her first feed if the day when she was settled in the cot and I could pump in bed beside her them go back asleep :) if you don't think you'll use it- freeze it. It'll give you great flexibility once you get up and running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Ro2015 congratulations on the pregnancy. Sorry to hear about the lack of family support but at least you have a good bit of time to prepare them and yourself.
    EVERY ONE on this thread supports you and will try to help you out.
    As others said, don't rely on the hospital for help...go to la leche league meet ups, Cuidiu and find groups on Facebook like Breastfeeding feeding mammies in (your county). Also there's extended breastfeeding in Ireland page, that's a great one.
    Also check out babywearing ireland...slings are great for bfing.

• Advertisement

Congrats on your pregnancy Ro2015! I can echo what other posters here have said. Its not that unusual for women of that generation to be against breastfeeding or find it weird or not enough for baby or whatever. God knows what they were told to think that. You have my sympathies, having to listen to them! But if you are not getting support from them, there are lots of good people and places to get support and advice from and they can help a lot. All the groups that were mentioned by other posters here. Do check them out well before your due date so that you know where they are and even have a few names/phone numbers/emails/facebook of supportive people to contact for after you give birth and are starting out. Going to a group before birth is a good idea. My guy arrived early so I'd planned to but I missed going to a group before he was born. I wish I had, as it took me a good few weeks to actually go to a breastfeeding group meeting after he was born. I think if I'd gone before birth it would have been easier for me to go.

Aside from advice, it is so good to have others to talk to about all the little things who know what it is like to go through it. Seriously, so many odd things happen your body that it is great to hear from someone else 'oh, same for me' and then you know you're not the only one and that it is normal and you can stop going crazy about it :)

I'm a new mum and my guy is 4 months now. Breastfeeding was tough for the first couple of weeks or so, I will admit it, you are wrecked tired anyway and emotions are all over the place and then you are trying to feed this little baby and neither of you have much clue what to do! But then when it starts working it is so great. I am so glad I did it. It is easy now! If he's hungry I can feed him in 5min. Sooo much easier than dealing with bottles 24/7, I'm sleep deprived enough without having to worry about cleaning bottles, making up formula, bringing bottles out with us etc. I'm back at work now so I'm pumping and the few bottles a day he does take show me the difference in work involved.

Although, pumping is great for freeing you. So if someone says that breastfeeding means you'll be stuck on the baby 24/7 for months on end and have no life and not able to go anywhere by yourself or drink or that no one else will be able to feed the baby, or that you're being *selfish* hogging all the baby-feeding (or some other crap), just know that once you've got yourself all going with breastfeeding, you can pump and someone else can feed baby :) There is also good advice in these pages here on pumping.

For me, the best advice I got was 1) it isn't a walk in the park, it is a learning curve for you, baby and your boobs. Expect that it'll take a bit of time for all three to get the hang of it but it will work. 2) Day 3 to day 7ish are awful but hang in there, you will get through them and it gets much much better.

congrats again and come post and read here, I've found these threads to be a great help!

I've breastfed two babies and despite the initial hardwork and exhaustion (which you forget very quickly once you're up and running) I wouldn't do it any other way if I were doing it over again.

Unfortunately, you'll find a lot of resistance, suspicion and even disgust among Irish people. Their reaction is like you're rubbing their noses in it by rejecting bottle feeding (sure weren't you'll bottle fed and aren't you grand and healthy!)

Be prepared for a rough couple of weeks when the baby is born. He/she will want to feed A LOT and you'll be exhausted and very hormonal. I felt like I was drowning the first time around. There are nights where they will feed constantly and you'll think that you haven't enough milk and he/she needs a 'top up' of formula. However breastfeeding works otherwise the human race would be extinct. It's a leap of faith as you have to trust in the process.

My advice is to feed on demand and cosleep as much as you can. Don't try to be one if those mums who are out and about within days of giving birth. Stay at home, preferably in bed snuggling with your baby, but don't get dressed for the first week. You're less likely to want to go out if you're still in your pjs.

Get in touch with breastfeeding groups in your area before the birth. Get phone numbers of leaders or other mums that you can contact in those early days if you've got questions or problems.

Surround yourself with breastfeeding mothers. They will be your support network and they will normalise breastfeeding for you as opposed to making you feel like an oddity.

Never quit on a bad day. Repeat this mantra 'this is a phase and this too will pass'. If you feel you've had enough and want to move to formula just wait until the next morning.

The first 6 weeks are like building the foundations for successful feeding so it's qiuite intense. It gets easier by degrees until you find yourself at 13 weeks and it's second nature.

What I loved best about breastfeeding is that you're free to change your plans at a moments notice. You've got the milk so all you need are some nappies and wipes. You don't have to rush home because you don't have a bottle for the next feed.

Best of luck with your pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just wondering if anyone has used a Medela Pump In Style for expressing and what they thought of it? They are supposed to be almost as good as hospital grade pumps and although they are not cheap to buy, they work out less expensive than hiring a Medela Symphony.

Just wondering if anyone has used a Medela Pump In Style for expressing and what they thought of it? They are supposed to be almost as good as hospital grade pumps and although they are not cheap to buy, they work out less expensive than hiring a Medela Symphony.

I'm using the Medela Swing double pump and find it excellent. My money saving tip would be to buy it from amazon.de and buy an adapter for the European plug - we saved €100 that way ;)

I'm using the Medela Swing double pump and find it excellent. My money saving tip would be to buy it from amazon.de and buy an adapter for the European plug - we saved €100 that way ;)

Thanks I hadn't even thought of Amazon.de, their electronics are always better value than the uk site :D How often do you pump with the Swing? I'd be looking for something for exclusive pumping for a few months, that's why I was looking at renting the Symphony, they are made specifically for exclusive expressing and can extract a high volume of milk in a short amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I used the Medella single swing. It says can be used between 1-4 times per day. The double may be different? I used mine a couple times per day on both kids and it's in great condition. But it's not for exclusive pumping. The motor would wear out I would think. You're better off getkng one of the higher end ones I would think. Fair play to you for exclusively expressing! That's hard work!!

Yeah I put myself under way too much pressure the last time and I was nearly demented from it but I've promised myself that I won't get as stressed this time so hopefully it'll be a bit easier and I'll keep it up for longer :) From speaking to other women who have expressed, most say that a hospital grade pump makes a whole world of difference so it's no wonder I nearly cracked up trying to do it with a Mothercare own brand single pump :pac:

Of course, the best thing would be if some sort of magic happened and I was suddenly able to bf naturally :D

I'm using it 1-2 times a day atm and will use more when I go back to work. Hadn't hears of the Symphony tbh, fair play to you for having the dedication to pump exclusively!

Finished pumping at work just now and spilled half the bag all down myself... what's that they say about crying over spilled milk? :/

• Advertisement

The Symphony is the one they use in the maternities for mothers of preemies etc. They are made for constant use and apparently can empty both breasts simultaneously within 20 minutes :eek: The downside is that they cost over €1000 to buy :( You can rent them for around €100 per month which is probably what I will end up doing for 1 month just to see how it goes. The reason I was asking about the Pump In Style is because I have read that they are almost as good as the Symphony but only cost a few hundred to buy so it would make way more sense to do this if the reviews are true :) Pumping is tough but I reckon that even if I only do it for a few weeks, it'll be worth it.

Advertisement