Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon transatlantic figures take off in 2015 (Clare Herald)

An extra 46,000 seats will be available on USA services to Shannon next year, representing an 11% increase, as Aer Lingus, Delta and American Airlines increase frequencies and capacity on their services.

That is exactly the same as I received in the newsletter. Not even a word was changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The CSO are slow with publishing their statistics.

Here is an update with the August figures plus all the monthly values for 2013.

330010.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The Clare Herald dont even bother paraphrasing the airport's press releases at this stage, they seem happy to be a free PR mouthpiece for whatever spin Shannon wants to put on anything.

Just e-mail it over and they'll copy, paste and print whatever they're asked to. It reads as though the paper themselves are looking forward to celebrating with AA. Embarrassing stuff.

Losses soar to €1.7m at engineering firm (Irish Examiner)

Pre-tax losses last year continued to mount at the Shannon-based Russian-owned aircraft overhaul firm, Transaero Engineering.

New accounts filed by Transaero Engineering Ireland Ltd with the Companies Office show the firm recorded a pre-tax loss of €1.7m last year after incurring losses of €633,944 in 2012.

The 170% rise in pre-tax losses occurred after revenues at the firm fell 7.5% from €25.69m to €23.76m in the 12 months to the end of December 31. The firm is owned by Russia’s second largest airline Transaero which purchased Air Atlanta Aero Engineering aircraft maintenance firm in 2012.

Numbers employed by the firm last year increased from 253 to 272 with staff costs increasing from €11m to €11.5m.

Despite their losses, they have increased their staff by 19 employees.

Also their planning permission (14587) was successful to be able to use the former Aer Lingus Hangar for the break up of end-of-life aircraft for Recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

13m Ryanair pax through airport was on Wroclaw flight- goodies and free flights given out. Seats from SNN on sale for €13 until Thursday...

No new Ryanair routes til next Winter at least according to press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Losses soar to €1.7m at engineering firm (Irish Examiner)

Pre-tax losses last year continued to mount at the Shannon-based Russian-owned aircraft overhaul firm, Transaero Engineering.

New accounts filed by Transaero Engineering Ireland Ltd with the Companies Office show the firm recorded a pre-tax loss of €1.7m last year after incurring losses of €633,944 in 2012.

The 170% rise in pre-tax losses occurred after revenues at the firm fell 7.5% from €25.69m to €23.76m in the 12 months to the end of December 31. The firm is owned by Russia’s second largest airline Transaero which purchased Air Atlanta Aero Engineering aircraft maintenance firm in 2012.

Numbers employed by the firm last year increased from 253 to 272 with staff costs increasing from €11m to €11.5m.

Despite their losses, they have increased their staff by 19 employees.

Also their planning permission (14587) was successful to be able to use the former Aer Lingus Hangar for the break up of end-of-life aircraft for Recycling.

These snippets from Financial Statements drive me cracked. You cannot analyse the goings on and performance of a company quoting two or three line figures. Without even clicking into the article I knew the reporter responsible too. He's forever filing such pieces and having seen some of the companies I manage providing his subject matter, they are nothing but a waste of print space.:rolleyes:

muggles wrote: »
    These snippets from Financial Statements drive me cracked. You cannot analyse the goings on and performance of a company quoting two or three line figures. Without even clicking into the article I knew the reporter responsible too. He's forever filing such pieces and having seen some of the companies I manage providing his subject matter, they are nothing but a waste of print space.:rolleyes:
    I’m no accountant, but I find these snippets to be very interesting.

Firstly, any company that is accumulating losses would normally set off the alarm bells.

However, the fact that they are taking on staff would give the impression to me that they are here for the long haul.

Is it your qualified view that this is not the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

For the reader an article with a heading "Losses soar to €1.7m....." doesn't give a positive reflection of a company. You yourself have pointed out one contradiction - accumulated losses v an increase in staff. Where is the other half of the accounts - i.e. the Balance Sheet?? Or was the reporter too lazy to flick over the page and have a look at the assets v liabilities?? Or maybe he is regurgitating only the lines of the accounts he understands, such as the cash balance for instance. By the way how has the company managed to increase this so much??? There must be another movement within debtors or creditors in order for this to make sense. Pulling a few lines from a set of financial statements makes so sense. Either an explanation behind the movement is required or else the full results need to be disclosed. These articles do no service to the company or industry. Maybe the reporter would do better to stick with his court stories.

By the way, I have absolutely no connection to Transaero.

Ryanair Chief Executive Michael O’Leary has confirmed that September 2015 should see the arrival of new Ryanair aircraft and new Ryanair services to and from Shannon Airport. (Clare Herald)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Masala

.......Move along Move Along... nothing to see here!!!!

• Advertisement

Ryanair in 'active discussions' over Shannon airport (RTE)

Ryanair's Michael O Leary has said the airline is in "active discussions" with Shannon Airport in relation to operating a regional flight service to the UK and Scotland.

Ryanair are also in talks about developing new routes from Shannon.

Mr Pakey said that there was considerable pressure on the airport to find an alternative airline to replace Stobart Air.

He added the regional service from the UK was important for Shannon as they bring additional passengers who are connecting with transatlantic flights.

The new routes bit is clear (i.e. September 2015, new aircraft) but where could he find an aircraft to serve Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh from the 5th of January onwards?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ryanair in 'active discussions' over Shannon airport (RTE)

Ryanair's Michael O Leary has said the airline is in "active discussions" with Shannon Airport in relation to operating a regional flight service to the UK and Scotland.

Ryanair are also in talks about developing new routes from Shannon.

Mr Pakey said that there was considerable pressure on the airport to find an alternative airline to replace Stobart Air.

He added the regional service from the UK was important for Shannon as they bring additional passengers who are connecting with transatlantic flights.

The new routes bit is clear (i.e. September 2015, new aircraft) but where could he find an aircraft to serve Bristol, Birmingham and Edinburgh from the 5th of January onwards?

FR would probably have no capacity issues from January up to the end of the winter season as they park aircraft over the winter, but then they would run into problems. Last summer they hired in aircraft to cover flights ex Dublin.

FR would probably have no capacity issues from January up to the end of the winter season as they park aircraft over the winter, but then they would run into problems. Last summer they hired in aircraft to cover flights ex Dublin.

But haven't they been receiving new aircraft from boeing since October/November? Surely by the summer season they may have the capacity to continue the routes, especially with a lot of routes from cork and knock are only operating in June/July next summer

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2014/12/01/ryanair-in-talks-on-more-shannon-routes/

That article states that Ryanair will be looking to linking Shannon up to some of their 4 new bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i see shannon-rome now on their site, dont rememner seeing that there before?

zweton wrote: »
    i see shannon-rome now on their site, dont rememner seeing that there before?

Special flight for the rugby. Search for it in the 6th of feburary.

Shannon and ScheduleABC are listed in the shannon destination list now, is that a hint of new routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ah ok cheers.

SIPTU To Meet With Aer Lingus About Shannon Concerns (Clare FM)

SIPTU is to meet with management at Aer Lingus in Shannon to discuss the impact of Stobart Air pulling out of the airport in January.

It comes amid fears that the Stobart decision could result in cutbacks for Aer Lingus staff based in Clare.

Aer Lingus employs 100 staff at Shannon, and some of those worked on passenger and baggage handling for Stobart's Aer Lingus Regional services.

Aer Lingus has unavailable for comment on the issue, while ahead of their meeting next week, SIPTU Organiser Tony Carroll says talk of Aer Lingus’ plans at Shannon is merely speculation at this point.

Not to mention the EIR-Stobart jobs lost at Shannon (Pilots / Air Cabin crew) too.

It will certainly result in reduced hours for ground staff particularly from Jan to March when there will be just 4 EI flights a day - 1 Boston and 3 LHR....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

SIPTU To Meet With Aer Lingus About Shannon Concerns (Clare FM)

SIPTU is to meet with management at Aer Lingus in Shannon to discuss the impact of Stobart Air pulling out of the airport in January.

It comes amid fears that the Stobart decision could result in cutbacks for Aer Lingus staff based in Clare.

Aer Lingus employs 100 staff at Shannon, and some of those worked on passenger and baggage handling for Stobart's Aer Lingus Regional services.

Aer Lingus has unavailable for comment on the issue, while ahead of their meeting next week, SIPTU Organiser Tony Carroll says talk of Aer Lingus’ plans at Shannon is merely speculation at this point.

Not to mention the EIR-Stobart jobs lost at Shannon (Pilots / Air Cabin crew) too.

That's odd. The ground crew spent the summer complaining that they didn't have enough staff to cover all the flights. Now they're complaining there aren't enough flights:confused:

• Advertisement

It will certainly result in reduced hours for ground staff particularly from Jan to March when there will be just 4 EI flights a day - 1 Boston and 3 LHR....

In the summer there is only the JFK service and 5times a week to Malaga/faro

The operations are not much bigger in the summer.

Oireachtas committee to meet Department of Foreign Affairs on US Military use of Shannon (Limerick Post)

The Oireachtas Joint Committee on Public Service Oversight and Petitions will meet this Wednesday afternoon with senior diplomats to consider a petition calling for an investigation into the US Military and CIA use of Shannon Airport and Irish airspace.

The meeting is to take place tomorrow Wednesday December 3 in Dublin at 4 pm.

Public proceedings can be viewed online (see link).

Growler!!! wrote: »
    That's odd. The ground crew spent the summer complaining that they didn't have enough staff to cover all the flights. Now they're complaining there aren't enough flights:confused:
    If the volume of work is going to shrink for the ground crew, then surely it could have a negative knock on effect on Aer Lingus trying to operate flights from 06:00 in the morning to late at night?

In the meantime, Clare FM reports that Aer Lingus insists that it remains fully committed to Shannon Airport.

The London Heathrow flights are only 2 a day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from January to the 7th of February.

The 2 flights on a Saturday will continue until to 11th of april to facilitate the lanzarote flights.

United SNN-EWR has been cut to 6 a week until next march. Flights don't operate on a Tuesday.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    United SNN-EWR has been cut to 6 a week until next march. Flights don't operate on a Tuesday.

As per last winter too

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The London Heathrow flights are only 2 a day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays from January to the 7th of February.

The 2 flights on a Saturday will continue until to 11th of april to facilitate the lanzarote flights.

EI are really treating the business travellers and regular customers like sh1t, its already impossible to use them to fly to LHR mainland Europe or beyond from SNN, its almost better to drive to Dublin and fly direct, other than the drive home late at night and jetlagged. Im sure many others would agree with me that we'd all much rather fly from SNN, I do when i can, but im finding i have to drive to Dub more and more. We need a petition to get a proper service, early in the morning and maintaining the other two flights as is. you cant even get to London and home for a day at this stage other than by using Ryanair and getting into London from STD is a nightmare!

EI give us back our 07.30 slot (year-round) and provide a reasonable service to your long standing and loyal customers!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

ctlsleh wrote: »
    EI give us back our 07.30 slot (year-round) and provide a reasonable service to your long standing and loyal customers!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is a similar situation to the Stobart withdrawal, it will have been purely a business decision. If there had been enough long standing and loyal customers, the service would still be there. However Belfast, which is where I think the flight may have moved to, is always likely to be a higher yield destination than Shannon for an early morning business orientated service.

This is a similar situation to the Stobart withdrawal, it will have been purely a business decision. If there had been enough long standing and loyal customers, the service would still be there. However Belfast, which is where I think the flight may have moved to, is always likely to be a higher yield destination than Shannon for an early morning business orientated service.

It'll be doing the Dublin-Donegal PSO route. As it's subsidised it's a guaranteed money spinner and won't end up operating at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I can tell you that when they had the 07.20AM flight, it was pretty full every day. They now have an A319 with less seats on the route and that's not quite as full as people have found alternative routes. However I meet people on the Ryanair 6AM flight regularly and they would all pay more to fly into Heathrow at a reasonable time.

It's a case of ever decreasing circles here......they reduce the service level, people churn to other providors, the business case dis improves for the operator, they continue to reduce the service and eventually pull out.....all because they weren't providing the service that people wanted in the first place........! This is what is so aggravating

I'd also be surprised if hey are making any more from Belfast as they are fleecing customers on the SNN route.....!!

Advertisement