Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your first paid job?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Lounge girl. Got paid £1.75 an hour :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They deliver drinks from the bar to customers' tables and collect empty glasses

edit: and usually help cleaning up at the end of the night

Oh right. Glass collector :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lia_lia wrote: »

Nope, more than that. Table service, serving drinks and clearing tables. I lasted precisely one week at it when I tried it :D

Is "lounge boy/girl" really not a term (or even a job?) any more these days???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I rather drink delivery officer

Scratch that, drink delivery executive officer :cool:

>.>

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nope, more than that. Table service, serving drinks and clearing tables. I lasted precisely one week at it when I tried it :D

I did it for a year before moving behind the bar, had great craic doing both, loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's what I had always called it too, but that was before the celtic tiger time when people started introducing fancy names for everything and asking for half lattes in the hotel bar!

I was also promoted from being a night porter to a 'chaperone'. Tipping also became a thing. I remember running after one lady telling her she left a fiver under her saucer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

there's still plenty of lounge boys/girls n the locals at home.

My first was as a Milkman's helper on the saturday run in rural donegal in the late 90s, got 20 pounds for a 6am-Noon shift.
    Was great craic, talking ****e to whatever milkman i was working with, stocking up on chocolate and crisps in every shop we passed, and as Saturday was the day a lot of customers settled the bill I got to meet a lot of mental auld ones. Mad biddies with moustaches and talking football to oul fellas with only radios who probably wouldnt speak to anyone else til I was back the following week.
    Today, whenever I smell mothballs or damp it brings be back to those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

That's what I had always called it too, but that was before the celtic tiger time when people started introducing fancy names for everything and asking for half lattes in the hotel bar!

My mam was a lounge girl in the 70s. That was in Dublin though, I had never heard that term before she said it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I guess you could count when we were smaller and went around to neighbours' houses offering to wash their cars. 50p! We were very rich :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Delivering leaflets. Sporadic, but jobs were scarce for a 16 year old at the time. 1p or 2p per leaflet, and I could get anything from £8 to £30 depending on what I had to deliver ("free samples" gave me an extra 2p or 3p).

800 houses would take time, and sometimes I'd get another 400 houses if the person meant to be doing them was too busy.

I see people still doing the leaflet runs, and wonder much they get for it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Saturdays in Woolworths Grafton Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Never heard that term in my life, and I worked as a bartender in a hotel for 5 years! Maybe it never reached Kerry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Painting chicken shtye on eggs in an egg factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Babysitting when I was about 13 or so. Then the summer after transition year I worked in Eddie Rockets for £4.50 an hour. I worked there all through 5th year too. I worked every Sunday and got £20 for my troubles.

Had great craic working there and loved having some money all for me. Worst thing I ever had to do was the time some disgusting asshole did such a massive turd in the toilets that it blocked the whole thing. I had to break it up with a tongs and fish pieces of it out into a bag - then throw the bag and tongs into the dumpster in the back. I have never seen one solid turd so big. I was retching the whole time I did. God, you can be stupid when you're 16 - I should have told them to feck off when they asked me to deal with it. I can still remember how disgusting it was over 15 years later. Urgh

Good times though!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Petrol station forecourt guy. Filling cars, sweeping up - the usual. 19 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lounge girl in a gaa club. Got paid £7 a night or £11 for working a Sunday.

Woshy wrote: »
    Babysitting when I was about 13 or so. Then the summer after transition year I worked in Eddie Rockets for £4.50 an hour. I worked there all through 5th year too. I worked every Sunday and got £20 for my troubles.

Had great craic working there and loved having some money all for me. Worst thing I ever had to do was the time some disgusting asshole did such a massive turd in the toilets that it blocked the whole thing. I had to break it up with a tongs and fish pieces of it out into a bag - then throw the bag and tongs into the dumpster in the back. I have never seen one solid turd so big. I was retching the whole time I did. God, you can be stupid when you're 16 - I should have told them to feck off when they asked me to deal with it. I can still remember how disgusting it was over 15 years later. Urgh

Good times though!

Too much info :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Too much info :/

I'm actually having flashbacks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Graces7 wrote: »
    What was your first paid job?

Hitman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Picking stones in a field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Are these some sort of euphamisms?

Indeed....

20 lids a night isn't much compensation for a sore hole....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Woshy wrote: »
    I'm actually having flashbacks now!

Gave me flashbacks of my time in Supermacs and all :(

My first paid job was working in Bewley's (Westmoreland St) late 90s (98 I think). Something crappy like 3.50 or 3.60 punt rate if I recall.

Any other Bewley's veterans here?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I was also promoted from being a night porter to a 'chaperone'. Tipping also became a thing. I remember running after one lady telling her she left a fiver under her saucer :o

It was lounge girl/boy when I done it and that was in the early 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    My first paid job was working in Bewley's (Westmoreland St) late 90s (98 I think). Something crappy like 3.50 or 3.60 punt rate if I recall.

Any other Bewley's veterans here?? :D
    Nice. In 98/99 I was working in the kitchens of a local restaurant for £2 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Putting creosote on the fences of a stud farm one summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Helper on a bread round when I was 12, every saturday for IR£25, was great, started at 3am and finished by 10am

the_syco wrote: »
    Nice. In 98/99 I was working in the kitchens of a local restaurant for £2 an hour.

hah never realised the extent of crap pay back then but for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Picking winkles, the money was actually OK that's when we bothered instead of throwing them at each other.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

retalivity wrote: »
    there's still plenty of lounge boys/girls n the locals at home.

My first was as a Milkman's helper on the saturday run in rural donegal in the late 90s, got 20 pounds for a 6am-Noon shift.
    Was great craic, talking ****e to whatever milkman i was working with, stocking up on chocolate and crisps in every shop we passed, and as Saturday was the day a lot of customers settled the bill I got to meet a lot of mental auld ones. Mad biddies with moustaches and talking football to oul fellas with only radios who probably wouldnt speak to anyone else til I was back the following week.
    Today, whenever I smell mothballs or damp it brings be back to those days!

That is so cruel, laughing at elderly loneliness and isolation. I actually don't find that funny at all.

Advertisement