Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for a gym?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Great deal on till Sunday in planet fitness only 240euro for two one yr memberships!
    I asked them could we put a deposit on it and pay the rest Thursday because we have all our bills this week but they said no. Sickened I know people who go there and said its good. No pool though

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭electric applause

I'm going to be starting college soon and I don't want to be a size 16 forever.
    I want to get fit and be healthy, but gyms are expensive and if I dont get my first choice college offer I'll be moving away. I was wondering if there are gyms in Galway city that fit an unemployed-student's budget that will let me do trial runs before I buy a full membership incase I have to move away?

thanks guys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

kingfisher in renmore do a 7.50e for use of the gym for a few hours....not sure if it applies to the one in the UNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Depends which college your at. If it's nui there kingFisher gets very busy. You could try planet health and fitness in the shopping centre. They will give you few passes to try it out. Handy to do your shopping after in tesco
    Kingfisher in renmore is crazy expensive for what it offers. It's only positive is it has a pool, but does be flooded with school kids very often
    Galway city gym is good, bit of a walk from both colleges on rainy days where the excuses come flowing very quick.

If you tell us where your going to be living it will be easier. Plus have you a car for the rainy evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

You could check out the warehouse gym in Galway, give them a shout on Facebook. Explain your situation and ask is there any chance of getting a free pass or two, really sound lads in there so might be a chance. Serious facilities in the gym, no pool though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I saw a sign and saw planet fitness near dealz is €25 a month. Cheap but don't know what they're like

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Was a member of planet fitness, thought it was mediocre. Get's pretty packed in the evenings but it is really cheap and being beside Tesco it's handy if you need to pick up some stuff after using the gym. Free weights section is pretty small but the cardio section has more than enough machines for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

All gyms will be packed in the evenings. It will all depend on where you live for example the warehouse gym is cool but if it's a 45 min walk then you may not go. The NUIG Kingfish gym is pretty good, since they fixed the fecking floor, and since you will be in college you have no excuse.

Plus we can be GYM BUDDIES :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shownah

Hey!
    Starting college in GMIT next week.. But just wondering does anyone know of any decent gyms in and around the area? Heard the college gym is a bit on the small and crowded side!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Shownah wrote: »
    Hey!
    Starting college in GMIT next week.. But just wondering does anyone know of any decent gyms in and around the area? Heard the college gym is a bit on the small and crowded side!
    Thanks!

The college gym isn't open anymore they don't have the funds.
    The handiest is Active fitness at the Carlton hotel. They do student rates. It's the closest gym to the college (walking distance) it also has swimming pool.

and the Connacht rugby players use it. That tells you something.
    Then there's your Warehouse Gym which would be a 20/25 min walk from college. It's your hardcore dedicated gym. No pool though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

D Trent wrote: »
    The handiest is Active fitness at the Carlton hotel. They do student rates. It's the closest gym to the college (walking distance) it also has swimming pool.

Then there's your Warehouse Gym which would be a 20/25 min walk from college. It's your hardcore dedicated gym. No pool though.

That'd be The Connacht not Carlton hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Is Kingfisher in Renmore still open? Surely that would be closer than the Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Kingfisher is nearer and don't connacht rugby have their own gym now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Go ask your SU reps why the GMIT gym isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Go ask your SU reps why the GMIT gym isn't available.

That aint gonna get it open so not much point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

Hiya,

I'm looking to join a gym in Galway city. I know there are lots around and I have also checked out the websites, but am looking for honest feedback from current members.
    I'm a girl in my 20's and want to improve my fitness, so I'd like somewhere with friendly, helpful trainers etc.

Thanks a mil!

Hey BlondePrincess, few questions

Is location an issue? will you be driving or walking/cycling to the gym?
    Is a swimming pool needed?

Best gyms in Galway city are The warehouse Gym, Results, NUIG if you are a student, The Salthill (expensive), Planet Health,

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hey BlondePrincess, few questions

Is location an issue? will you be driving or walking/cycling to the gym?
    Is a swimming pool needed?

Best gyms in Galway city are The warehouse Gym, Results, NUIG if you are a student, The Salthill (expensive), Planet Health,

Hey,

I drive so that's no problem...I live over near GMIT so would ideally like somewhere that side of town!
    Preferably with a pool too!

Thanks a mil!

Active leisure is just down the road from GMIT, it's attached to the Connaught Hotel. I have never been in it but from the link below they have a nice pool.

http://www.theconnacht.ie/leisure/active-fitness

You are also pretty close to the warehouse gym and Results. If you rang those 3 options and see if they offer a free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hey,

I drive so that's no problem...I live over near GMIT so would ideally like somewhere that side of town!

Thanks a mil!

I'd recommend the Maldron Hotel in Oranmore. Great gym and pool, with a good class timetable also for kettle bells, circuit training, TRX etc. The staff there are very friendly and knowledgeable. I think it may be 'open week' there next week, so you can try the place out for free. I've been a member there for a few years and would highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Any of my friends who use the kingfisher gym in NUIG say its terrible. It's waaay to busy to ever get a chance on the machines (mainly weights)

JackD9922 wrote: »
    Any of my friends who use the kingfisher gym in NUIG say its terrible. It's waaay to busy to ever get a chance on the machines (mainly weights)

Depends when you go. Go anytime after 5-6 from Monday-Thursday and it is packed. Go at the weekends and it's grand. Go before 1pm and it's empty. Go during the student holidays and it's empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Does the clayton have a gym or just a pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Clayton is just a pool I believe.

If you dont need to have a pool cant recommend the Warehouse enough. excellent facilities and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

JackD9922 wrote: »

Pool is very busy too. They have clubs training now during "public" hours. So 7-7.30am this morning there was only 2 lanes available to members. Of those 1 lane had a couple of slow doggy paddlers (which is fair enough) so everyone else had to use one lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

leisureland is supposedly opening in mid December, some of the clubs might go back there if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

Hey,

Thanks a mil!

renmore kingfisher gym/pool is literally 5 mins walk from GMIT !
    they offer a free trial.
    pay as you go.
    full membership.
    25meter pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭12thofthe12th

Hey,

Thanks a mil!

Active fitness just down the road from GMIT, with a nice pool, loads of free classes as well in their two studios. I hear they are going to be open 24 hours from January 2015 if you like to work out late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Volvoair wrote: »
    leisureland is supposedly opening in mid December, some of the clubs might go back there if it does.

Fingers crossed. There was about 25-30'ish doing club training in 4 lanes this morning. 9 in the two remaining two members/public lanes with mixed speeds in together. And another 15 or so on the pool-side doing stretches after the previous club training session.

7.15am used to be off-peak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Leisureland gym is back open now & pool will be open in December. Tried the gym out and it's pretty much the same set up with new versions of the old machines. No major changes.

Advertisement