Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ericfast

cgcsb wrote: »
    You can take a train from Ennis to Galway in about 1hr15mins, the first train on weekday mornings leaves Ennis at 06:49 and arrives at Galway at 08:10 plenty of time for connecting buses.

Use the existing infrastructure.

I presume that's sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ericfast wrote: »
    I presume that's sarcasm

Of course not. Why would one drive when there is a reasonable public transport alternative. Certainly beats waiting around for more motorways to be built

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cgcsb wrote: »
    Of course not. Why would one drive when there is a reasonable public transport alternative. Certainly beats waiting around for more motorways to be built

Because one may not work or live anywhere near a train station and also may not have any public transport options to get to from said train stations maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Rumours of heavy machinery on the road into Coole Park and on the way down from Kiltartan school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 flat 2 the.....

Passed by that way yesterday never seen anything, but if they are its good news

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Because one may not work or live anywhere near a train station and also may not have any public transport options to get to from said train stations maybe?
    Could he not drive there and park n ride? Doesn't sound that hard.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Could he not drive there and park n ride? Doesn't sound that hard.

He could, but what if he didn't work anywhere near the other station or near a bus route that serves that station?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

He could, but what if he didn't work anywhere near the other station or near a bus route that serves that station?

I second that. Ballybrit is a fine example. Train REALLY should stop nearby. Eyre Square grand for those in retail. Rest of Galway trainfolk have to keep the taxi companies in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

Passed by that way yesterday never seen anything, but if they are its good news

They won't be doing much until the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GDSGR8

I second that. Ballybrit is a fine example. Train REALLY should stop nearby. Eyre Square grand for those in retail. Rest of Galway trainfolk have to keep the taxi companies in business.

Ballybrit is not particularly close to the railway line, so what are you suggesting should be done?

• Advertisement

I said 'when there's a reasonable public transport option available' i.e. for all legs of the trip.

Eyre Square is well served by onward bus routes in fairness. I only made the point because there is existing infrastructure in place to help with this journey, and it was delivered at considerable expense, why not use it before demanding a new more expensive option.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 rickjames16

and yet more roadworks .. 20 mins in killcollgin this morning , when is this going to stop .. 10/11 weeks of it now ! i live in ennis but work in shrule so have to go to claregalway and cut accross ! how can public transport help me ?

and yet more roadworks .. 20 mins in killcollgin this morning , when is this going to stop .. 10/11 weeks of it now ! i live in ennis but work in shrule so have to go to claregalway and cut accross ! how can public transport help me ?
    It's disgraceful, no consideration at all. The road in kilcolgan was fine aswell. Did the council just find a pot of money or something

glineli wrote: »
    It's disgraceful, no consideration at all. The road in kilcolgan was fine aswell. Did the council just find a pot of money or something

It's coming towards the end of the year. Councils have to use their roads allocation before before January or lose what they don't spend next year. It's a ridiculous system, but it's the same in every county.

M18 north of Crusheen closed again today, hopefully it's to remove those speed bumps they put on the road when it was last closed

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

http://galwaybayfm.ie/work-begin-gort-tuam-motorway-january/

Is this a record for the signing of a contract, turning of the sod and actual work beginning nearly 7 months later? Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy to see it actually starting someday! Whenever!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Is there any sign of construction starting on this road , I know ots late in the year now but the must have some compounds and machinery on site at this stage .
    when is the completion date for this road or is it going to start at all .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

busyatwork wrote: »
    Is there any sign of construction starting on this road , I know ots late in the year now but the must have some compounds and machinery on site at this stage .
    when is the completion date for this road or is it going to start at all .
    Latest news is it's starting in January and will open in 2018.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Latest news is it's starting in January and will open in 2018.

2018 completion date will give them plenty of time , has any work started anywhere along the route at the moment ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Irish drilliing are doing boreholes at the moment, some survey work, Roadbridge rumoured to have a deal done for a compound behind the Westwing restaurant on the edge of Tuam, also spoke to a landowner who was approached to take fill from the works, looks like after Christmas before any major work at the Tuam end, there seems to be more activity towards theGort end

f2 wrote: »
    Irish drilliing are doing boreholes at the moment, some survey work, Roadbridge rumoured to have a deal done for a compound behind the Westwing restaurant on the edge of Tuam, also spoke to a landowner who was approached to take fill from the works, looks like after Christmas before any major work at the Tuam end, there seems to be more activity towards theGort end

Is it not road works on the existing m18 the work at the gort end is

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone notice the sign going onto the M18 from the N18 at Gort says M20? Or am I being too observant? :)

Hopefully they will be moving that M20 sign to Buttevant very soon

Just after talking with engineer that is working for Roadbridge civil,well he has said they are starting work in February 2015 but he told me the are finding it difficult to get machinery to do the earth works and may cause a problem for them to start work , he said all Roadbridges plant is in wales and other parts of the Uk this is not good news.i also mentioned Wills bro to him and No not doing any work .What happened all the machinery that was in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just after talking with engineer that is working for Roadbridge civil,well he has said they are starting work in February 2015 but he told me the are finding it difficult to get machinery to do the earth works and may cause a problem for them to start work , he said all Roadbridges plant is in wales and other parts of the Uk this is not good news.i also mentioned Wills bro to him and No not doing any work .What happened all the machinery that was in ireland

What happened all the machinery that was in Ireland?
    I'd suggest there wasn't enough work for it.

kippy wrote: »
    I'd suggest there wasn't enough work for it.

Ya ya i suppose sure what do the do now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

kippy wrote: »

It was sold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

antoobrien wrote: »
    It was sold off.

Sorry Antoo, that was a kind of rhetorical question (well a rhetorical question that I answered)

Yeah, lots and lots of heavy plant that "resided" here from 02-09 or so was sold off or moved elsewhere as the work wasn't here for it.

With no machinery left and its causing delay for construction to start , what will the do or is this just rubbish that the company is talking or is there some sort of funding issue behind the scenes , have they reilised there isnt enought traffic along this route

• Advertisement

With no machinery left and its causing delay for construction to start , what will the do or is this just rubbish that the company is talking or is there some sort of funding issue behind the scenes , have they reilised there isnt enought traffic along this route

There isn't going to be a toll. They build and maintain the road for 30 years and get paid by the government over the course of the contract.

Advertisement