Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Celt Experience - Silures. I think I've had this one before but couldn't remember what it was like so I picked up another bottle of it the other day. Really really nice beer. Reminds me an awful lot of Trouble Brewing's Whistleblower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Crazy prices!
    (I presume it's OK to call prices crazy once it's not GBB :))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RonanC wrote: »
    Is this the most expensive craft beer menu in Ireland?

T8Aj7ufl.jpg

From Kellys Hotel, Rosslare.

7.40 for the Blackstairs Red Ale, a local beer? On your bike, Kelly's Hotel!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    a local beer?
    It has to be shipped all the way from Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Celt Experience - Silures. I think I've had this one before but couldn't remember what it was like so I picked up another bottle of it the other day. Really really nice beer. Reminds me an awful lot of Trouble Brewing's Whistleblower.

Thought Whistleblower was much sweeter myself and much more double ipa like than Silures which was more of a drinkable pale ale type.

Both great beers though. Try Celt Le Tene if you get a chance, very nice low abv bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Straylight

RonanC wrote: »
    Is this the most expensive craft beer menu in Ireland?

T8Aj7ufl.jpg

From Kellys Hotel, Rosslare.

Was there recently myself and was shocked by the prices. What annoyed me more was that the the menu didn't include the types of beer on it, such as the Blackstairs Ruby Red being an IPA or the Trouble Brewing being a porter. Plus the bar staff seemed a bit clueless. When I asked for a Dark Arts Porter the barman hadn't a clue what I ordered, and only when I pointed to it on the menu did he understand and said "Ah, a Trouble Brewing". /facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Williams Brothers / Brooklyn Brewery A Wee Bit

Quite sweet and a but peaty. Bit thin and watery but I liked the flavours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Rascals Wit Woo in the Taphouse in Ranelagh. Not my first choice as they were out of Rustbucket but quite a palatable Belgian-style brew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Rascals Wit Woo in the Taphouse in Ranelagh. Not my first choice as they were out of Rustbucket but quite a palatable Belgian-style brew.

What do you make of the taphouse in general, I've never been?

White Gypsy - Emerald.

Great idea. Not so great beer.

Could really really do with some extra hops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Went to the taphouse a year ago, beer selection was poor, was really hot, upstairs was closed off, and not that much seating downstairs. Wouldn't return myself.

Shame about white gypsy emerald, was looking forward to trying it, although am not a fan of their APA. Anybody tried their imperial stout ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

jsa112 wrote: »
    Shame about white gypsy emerald, was looking forward to trying it, although am not a fan of their APA. Anybody tried their imperial stout ?

Liked their APA and their Imperial Stout. I have their Emerald and will try tomorrow. Just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean you wont like it. I had it on cask - I think - and thought it subtle but well balanced.

I like their Scarlet where others didn't. Don't let others dictate your choice, we all have different palates and tastes. I'm sure BaZmO* will agree.

Of course I might not like it in bottle. :D

But that's just me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

adamski8 wrote: »
    What do you make of the taphouse in general, I've never been?

Even when I lived in the area I thought it was quite poor. Their range of beers isn't sufficiently interesting or well thought out for me to classify it as a 'craft beer' pub. It's definitely not worth the effort of travelling to check out, even from the city centre. Today I went because it was the most convenient option in the time available to me but I hadn't been in a very long time before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Had the White Gypsy Emerald last night myself, my bottle was both heavily oxidized and had a weird sour off flavour. OTOH the White Gypsy Dunkel on draught was nice I thought.

The White Hag IrIsh IPA is really superb.

drumswan wrote: »
    The White Hag IrIsh IPA is really superb.

I didn't like it, or more so, I was indifferent to it. I really liked the Wit and the Oktoberfest beers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I didn't like it, or more so, I was indifferent to it. I really liked the Wit and the Oktoberfest beers though.

Complete opposite for me, thought the IPA was amazing and the other two were nice but a bit unexceptional. Different tastes eh!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Complete opposite for me, thought the IPA was amazing and the other two were nice but a bit unexceptional. Different tastes eh!

Indeed. :)

I've have to try it again though. I had it at the end of the night so maybe my tastebuds were worn out.

Picked up the second last bottle of Jameson Caskmates from Bradley's. Looking forward to trying it with the Jameson stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Donegal Blonde for me tonight to start and then moving onto some Independent Brewing Company stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My last Double Mountain Killer Red Fresh Hop Imperial Red ale. I feel sad drinking it knowing no more left here

http://m.imgur.com/aZMfxyt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So went to the offo and got 5 beers. None of them a stout or porter, which is total madness for me.

Carrig Brazen Amber
    Trouble Agent Prov
    Trouble Whistleblower
    St Mel Pale
    Weird Beard Fade to Black Black IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So went to the offo and got 5 beers. None of them a stout or porter, which is total madness for me.

Carrig Brazen Amber
    Trouble Agent Prov
    Trouble Whistleblower
    St Mel Pale
    Weird Beard Fade to Black Black IPA

Interested to hear what the carrig amber is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trigger17

Brú brewery from Co. Meath have an absolutely cracking range of beers/ales, well worth a try

Had White Gypsy Emerald earlier and liked it a lot.

Subtle and pretty balanced but perhaps more biscuity than bitter. Nice lemony-spice hop flavour.

Great idea too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Had an Evil Twin Amber and IPA earlier. Preferred the Amber, I thought the IPA was a bit "Belgian" in style.

As an aside, I was in Tesco doing the weekly shop and saw an Amber and IPA both of which were called Solas? The label said they were from Rye River Brewing. Have they dropped the McGargles name?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Picked up a 12th Abbey Pale Ale, new producer from Co Meath, and a Bo Bristle Amber Ale. 12th Abbey ok, enjoyed the Bo Bristle more....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's nearly time of year to start storing up a few Christmas treats. Last year I put together a box of porters, stouts, imperial/Russian/barrel-aged stouts.

I want to do something similar this year, but I need some new recommendations. What say ye, sirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Am thinking the same. So far am considering getting Brooklyn's Cuvee Noir, goose island bourbon county, and some of the special edition thornbridge beers

Heroditas wrote: »
    As an aside, I was in Tesco doing the weekly shop and saw an Amber and IPA both of which were called Solas? The label said they were from Rye River Brewing. Have they dropped the McGargles name?

I doubt they'd drop McGargles at this stage. I think they might be looking a running a few 'own' brands for different market segments as well as distributing other beers. Could be contract either. Had the stout earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

lk67 wrote: »
    I doubt they'd drop McGargles at this stage. I think they might be looking a running a few 'own' brands for different market segments as well as distributing other beers. Could be contract either. Had the stout earlier.

Yeah I was looking up Solas and all I could find was a Scottish brewery? I wonder if they're importing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement