Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

went with the Classic Cycling Tours guys recommended above (http://www.classiccyclingtours.com/la-marmotte-granfondo-2015/), and am flying out from Dublin (AerLingus) to Geneva on the Thursday, returning on the Monday.

The event entries are open I think this coming weekend, and sell out pretty fast I believe. The TourOp says I have an entry guaranteed now with my booking, so hopefully that's everything sorted now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Andy69, which event have you booked for? Your flights seem to indicate that its the Etape your doing but all your references here have been for the Marmotte - and it is the Marmotte thread!

Apologies if I've misinterpreted what I'm reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pressed the trigger myself today. Had been trying to coax some others into it but they are stalling a bit so did my end of it anyway. One is never alone on the Marmotte!

Doing it myself, as I have been over a few times so fairly happy with the whole set up. Fly Dublin to Lyon on Thursday, returning on Sunday. Hired a van/big car thingy and will drive down. Staying in a lpace in Bourg. Bike box booked as well.

From what I can gather on t'interweb, the registration will be open from 3rd November, but thats not confirmed. Just keep on eye on the site each day but it will be around then I guess.

So I guess its goodbye to friends and family and hello Mr Turbo trainer for the next 9 months!

If I am going to do an event next year, I think I might do the Etape. It works out over e200 cheaper plus its effectively an extra decent day on the bike as the event is on the Sunday.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Andy69, which event have you booked for? Your flights seem to indicate that its the Etape your doing but all your references here have been for the Marmotte - and it is the Marmotte thread!

Apologies if I've misinterpreted what I'm reading.

:eek: jaysus!! trying to give me a heart-attack? :D

I just tripple-checked there....

2nd to 6th July are my flights - check :)
    4th July is Marmotte date - check :)
    5th July is the TT up Alpe d'Huez - check :)
    Tour Op e-mail confirmed the booking for Marmotte and the dates - check :)
    Phew!!!

I think the Etape is the 19th or so? I would have done that but I did it in 2012 and the course is almost identical so thought I'd give this auld spin a go ;) ha!

• Advertisement

So sorry, Andy. My bad! Aer Lingus flights for Geneva are at the same time for the month of July. I was looking at the Etape page when checking times.

:) no worries. was good to double-check anyways....I've had some bad experiences with Geneva in the past so I wouldn't put it past myself to have booked the wrong flippin dates or something! ha! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Booked today with ClassicCyclingTours!! That's two of us going from here! Get it booked lads! You know you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Booked today with ClassicCyclingTours!! That's two of us going from here! Get it booked lads! You know you want to.

What was the damage? All in. If you don't mind me asking.

No problem. Costs so far are £150 return flights (including 20kg bag) and the £190 deposit to secure my place. Full payment due 10 weeks before the event.
    Still to sort bike transport/bike hire. Leaning towards getting my bike shipped over at the minute.

The lady said she would look after us and keep all the Irish lads together if we wanted. She said it is a great few nights as everyone is there for the same thing so everyone is in the same boat.

Also booked a trip to Tenerife at Easter with the wife. I am a teacher so its only time we can go. She doesn't know that it is for me to cycle up Mt Teide two or three times that week haha

Im excited and ****ting myself at the same time. I will find this very tough as I am 90 odd kgs at the minute so I will def need to drop a stone or 2 by the time the event comes around!

Sure if it was easy everyone would be doing it haha

• Advertisement

No problem. Costs so far are £150 return flights (including 20kg bag) and the £190 deposit to secure my place. Full payment due 10 weeks before the event.
    Still to sort bike transport/bike hire. Leaning towards getting my bike shipped over at the minute.

The lady said she would look after us and keep all the Irish lads together if we wanted. She said it is a great few nights as everyone is there for the same thing so everyone is in the same boat.

Also booked a trip to Tenerife at Easter with the wife. I am a teacher so its only time we can go. She doesn't know that it is for me to cycle up Mt Teide two or three times that week haha

Im excited and ****ting myself at the same time. I will find this very tough as I am 90 odd kgs at the minute so I will def need to drop a stone or 2 by the time the event comes around!

Sure if it was easy everyone would be doing it haha

Woah. Yeah I'm 70kg and looking at what I can shed!!!

...The lady said she would look after us and keep all the Irish lads together if we wanted...

Good man! yeah was just talking to Steve there from the Tour Op, and he said there's a few heading out from Dublin, so that's no bother for the bus transfers back to Geneva for the 10:30 flight anyways :)
    Still can't believe Aer Lingus bloody dropped the flight prices after I booked at 160eur! ha! typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

+1

I must be crazy!

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

fat bloke wrote: »
    Woah. Yeah I'm 70kg and looking at what I can shed!!!

You need to change your user name to scrawny whippet

Red Belly wrote: »
    +1

I must be crazy!

rb

With the same company?

neris wrote: »
    You need to change your user name to scrawny whippet

I prefer it as is, to keep me on the straight and narrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

With the same company?

I'm going with Sportactive. Depositing the family at a campsite before joining up with the package trip based in Alpe D'Huez.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Lads,

Half thinking of signing up for this, been on the list a while, but just to confirm the costs with classic tours, it's £650 + flights + bike ( ship over or rent)

Didn't realise it was opening this wend so prob need to think quick!!

Bulmers wrote: »
    Lads,

Half thinking of signing up for this, been on the list a while, but just to confirm the costs with classic tours, it's £650 + flights + bike ( ship over or rent)

yep! spot on.

So initial payout now would be your...
    - flights at 133eur
    - deposit for tour Op (195GBP)
    - bike hire deposit (was 50eur for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

sports communication who run the event have posted an announcement on their Facebook page, that entries for the grand trophee will open tomorrow morning Tuesday 4th - they have not given a tie

• Advertisement

sports communication who run the event have posted an announcement on their Facebook page, that entries for the grand trophee will open tomorrow morning Tuesday 4th - they have not given a time

Bulmers wrote: »
    Lads,

Do it!

folks
    Marmotte is open for registration online

all signed up and now for the pain ahead over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They actually seem to have the whole process somewhat sorted out this year. I went straight through without any hassle.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They actually seem to have the whole process somewhat sorted out this year. I went straight through without any hassle.

yes - much quicker and cleaner- about 3-4 minutes all in. last year site was crashing when it opened with the volume of people trying to get through.
    also they advertised on site last night, that it would open this afternoon.
    just checked it by chance to see and in early and done

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mp2012

All done. Was expecting horrors based on reading previous years. Did you get separate email from bank payment email?

mp2012 wrote: »
    All done. Was expecting horrors based on reading previous years. Did you get separate email from bank payment email?

yes - you will get 2 emails - the first is regarding payment confirmation and the second is some details from sport communication regarding your details. Then around Christmas or New Year they will send you a further email, with a link to the site, that will contain your bib number

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pumatrev

Lads I have signed up for this but I only got an email from the bank saying payment accepted is this all you get? i.e nothing from the organisers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

All signed up also, has everyone got accomodation sorted. I have booked into a campsite in Bourg DOisans via eurocamp, looks good and with proper beds in the tents

Advertisement