Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelee The Banana Girl

Options
  • 27-10-2014 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

I came across this girl some time ago on Youtube who follows a 'Raw 'Til Four' hight fruit vegan diet which includes cook and raw vegan food, with a lot of focus on a large consumption of fruit. Despite consuming a large quantity of fruit and carbohydrates she manages to maintain a healthy weight. She joined this diet after losing a decent amount of weight on it. At first thought when I looked at her consumption of sugar and fruit was ''how she had not developed diabetes from the amount of fruit she eats?''. Is this diet actually healthy for a person long term? I kept watching her because I just couldn't understand how she can eat the quantity she can? She has done blood tests as well to show proof that she's healthy on this diet. This is probably a stupid question, but her diet intrigued me. :)

Blood Test:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bemese

Hi Precious Flower,

Be careful here. In a video she was bragging with losing her period for 9 whole months. This is not healthy. This means that she is being underweight and doesn't have enough body fat to sustain a baby. So if you want to be a mother in the future, I would advise you not to follow this diet. Just look up "Freelee lost period". I can't link the video in here as i'm a new user on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Bemese wrote: »
    Hi Precious Flower,

Be careful here. In a video she was bragging with losing her period for 9 whole months. This is not healthy. This means that she is being underweight and doesn't have enough body fat to sustain a baby. So if you want to be a mother in the future, I would advise you not to follow this diet. Just look up "Freelee lost period". I can't link the video in here as i'm a new user on the forum.
    I have watched her other videos and she says that she has never lost her period and that that comment was a joke as others had commented that she must have lost her period because she was too thin. I don't subscribe to what she preaches but I just wonder how she maintains a healthy weight and body consuming the amount of sugar and carbohydrates that she does.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bemese

I don't think that this was a joke: http: // www. youtube. com /watch? v=A0ptJE79npA

By the way she doesn't have a medical degree or expertise and having only mono-meals can deprive your body from valuable nutrients. I don't say I'm against vegans, it's just that you don't have to believe everything for the first sight. :)

I rather believe in a balanced diet. Take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have watched her other videos and she says that she has never lost her period and that that comment was a joke as others had commented that she must have lost her period because she was too thin. I don't subscribe to what she preaches but I just wonder how she maintains a healthy weight and body consuming the amount of sugar and carbohydrates that she does.:)

She is underweight and is also a cyclist. If the diet is so good, why does she have to Photoshop herself onto a girl with abs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

She is underweight and is also a cyclist. If the diet is so good, why does she have to Photoshop herself onto a girl with abs?

I'm not defending her :pac: I was just mainly wondering how she could eat the quantities she could, because I didn't believe her diet was any good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

...At first thought when I looked at her consumption of sugar and fruit was ''how she had not developed diabetes from the amount of fruit she eats?''.

Fructose has a low glycemic index and has little to no impact on insulin production. There is a trial in US clinics that put diabetics on a short term ( 1 month) fructose only diet where early results have shown a reversal in diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Bemese wrote: »
    I don't think that this was a joke: http: // www. youtube. com /watch? v=A0ptJE79npA

By the way she doesn't have a medical degree or expertise and having only mono-meals can deprive your body from valuable nutrients. I don't say I'm against vegans, it's just that you don't have to believe everything for the first sight. :)

I rather believe in a balanced diet. Take care of yourself.

from the video "Menstruation is a toxicity leaving the body..." :confused::confused: can I ask how guys get rid of the "toxins" from their bodies? :D

if I lost my period not for two following reasons: a) pregnancy, b) menopause I'd be very worried because it's clear indication that something isn't right with my hormone levels, estrogen in particular. Estrogen plays huge role in bone health in women, low estrogen = osteoporosis.

I agree that not having monthly periods is great. I haven't had one for over a year now (have 3mo baby).

Back to the fuitarians (sp?), yeah you could mess with it if you live in the country where those fruits are growing and you have access to fresh, naturally ripen fruit everyday. What they sell in our shops if far cry from good fruit.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Most crazily restrictive diets have great results in the short term.

Because fruit isn't as efficiently digested as say, butter, you can eat about 3,000 cals of the stuff and still lose weight as you are excreting a lot of those calories.

Fruit is fabulous for losing weight btw, there's studies where they upped the fruit big time and people spontaneously lost weight.

Having said that, it wouldn't take long for a deficiency of some sort to arrive if that's all you ate.

Just because this girl is doing well on it (although I doubt lack of menstruation is OK long term), doesn't mean it's healthy. There's perfectly healthy people out there that eat nothing put cheese burgers, or people that smoke 30 a day and don't see any negative effects.

Her voice is also annoying "chipies" and I can't stand her boyfriend duranrider. He may promote 30 bananas a day but he looks like he has ebolaids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Her voice is also annoying "chipies" and I can't stand her boyfriend duranrider. He may promote 30 bananas a day but he looks like he has ebolaids
    face palm the lot of them and encourages people into thinking "ahhh here's the thing i need to get me in shape" nothing to do with your sh1t diet over the weekend and total lack of any kind of exercise that would actually make you sweat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

She's a spin-off of her boyfriend Durianrider. Look him up on YouTube, they both seem like narcisstic crackpots and it comes across readily in their videos, she seems particularly thick for want of a better word. Their videos can be unintentionally entertaining but the nutritional message is extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

Most crazily restrictive diets have great results in the short term.

Because fruit isn't as efficiently digested as say, butter, you can eat about 3,000 cals of the stuff and still lose weight as you are excreting a lot of those calories.

Fruit is fabulous for losing weight btw, there's studies where they upped the fruit big time and people spontaneously lost weight.

Having said that, it wouldn't take long for a deficiency of some sort to arrive if that's all you ate.

Just because this girl is doing well on it (although I doubt lack of menstruation is OK long term), doesn't mean it's healthy. There's perfectly healthy people out there that eat nothing put cheese burgers, or people that smoke 30 a day and don't see any negative effects.

El D would you mind expanding on this? There's so much conflicting information out there now and many people recommend cutting back on fruit due to it's sugar context.

How is it digested differently to butter?
    I thought it was a matter of cals in cals out at the end of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

lachin wrote: »
    El D would you mind expanding on this? There's so much conflicting information out there now and many people recommend cutting back on fruit due to it's sugar context.

For weight loss it is.

For body composition it isn't that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Hi Precious Flower, I found Freelee and Harley over a year ago. I hated them at first to be honest, hated every video I watched, thought they were really annoying! Looking back now, I think they just had too much energy for me!! Anyway, for some reason I kept watching them, and then last summer I did raw til 4, basically 2 big banana smoothies during the day (almost 20 bananas a day) and a big rice meal for dinner. After about 2 weeks, I felt unreal. I felt ridiculously happy and calm all the time and I've never been an optimist :) It's actually impossible to describe how good I felt. I had sooo much energy too. Apparently it gets even better as time goes on. Unfortunately, bananas don't ripen very well unless it's warm so I eat mostly cooked now since August. I kinda follow the starch solution that Harley and Freelee recommended.
    I never had a weight problem so I can't talk about weight loss but I honestly believe anyone who suffers from depression (me me me!!) can benefit from eating like this.

When Freelee started the raw diet, she lost her period for a few months, but it came back. She basically explains that it was just a healing phase. She healed a lot of serious health problems she had. She couldn't get out of bed before she turned raw vegan. I think it was severe candida mostly. She's been doing it for nearly 10 years and look at her! Harley been doing it for more than 12. He was really sick all his life before he went raw vegan.

BTW, fruit is the quickest food to pass through the digestion system. Fats (butter) take the longest. The key to this diet is low fat btw.

Anyway before anyone attacks me, please just do some research. RawTill4 community is really blowing up on youtube:
    Here's a man curing his diabetes; https://www.youtube.com/user/BestTransformation/featured

Here's a girl who lost a good bit of weight eating more calories than ever (3000cals is recommended for women); https://www.youtube.com/user/riceandraw Sasha actually gained weight at first and then lost it still eating 3000 kcals

Loni Jane had a baby 1 or 2 years after transitioning to RT4; http://instagram.com/lonijane
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juyEGVQOfsQ

There are loads of other testimonials of people curing diseases if you want to look for them.

Lastly here is a recent video I thought was brilliant; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzn2glfzAGo

Oh are this very intelligent Londoner has the gift of the gab https://www.youtube.com/user/kerrymccarpet/featured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I say good luck to both of them. From what Ive learned, a fruit diet needs to be supplemented in the medium and long term with leafy greens to be nutritionally complete. Also, as already mentioned, its likely more practical to have a high fructose fruit diet in a warmer climate.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I say good luck to both of them. From what Ive learned, a fruit diet needs to be supplemented in the medium and long term with leafy greens to be nutritionally complete. Also, as already mentioned, its likely more practical to have a high fructose fruit diet in a warmer climate.

Hi, yes the original diet 801010 is basically; fruit, greens, nuts and seeds. Leafy greens are food though so I don't see why you say "supplemented".

I'm looking into ways to ripen bananas during winter though. Someone told me to leave them in the plastic bag cause this causes humidity and obviously they come from humid countries. Dates are a good option for winter, I'm not mad about them though. You can eat other fruits that don't need to be ripened but bananas are the cheapest. I'll definitely go back to it in the summer tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Banana girl is hot so I believe her.

kilkenny12 wrote: »
    I'm looking into ways to ripen bananas during winter though.

Keep them in a brown paper bag with an apple or tomato. They all produce ethylene as they ripen, so as the bananas ripen and produce ethylene which causes the apple/tomato to ripen and produce ethylene which causes the banana to ripen.

'Vicious' cycle, innit. But it works if you want to speed up the ripening of the bananas.

For weight loss it is.

For body composition it isn't that simple.

Ok, so cutting down or eliminating fruit will improve body composition? So how does this girl look so lean?

• Advertisement

Keep them in a brown paper bag with an apple or tomato. They all produce ethylene as they ripen, so as the bananas ripen and produce ethylene which causes the apple/tomato to ripen and produce ethylene which causes the banana to ripen.

'Vicious' cycle, innit. But it works if you want to speed up the ripening of the bananas.

Yeah I read that alright. I'll have to get very large paper bags :D

Ok, so cutting down or eliminating fruit will improve body composition? So how does this girl look so lean?

That's not what I said.

Cals in vs Cals out for weight loss.

But three identical people might eat the same number of cals with different macro profiles and have different body compositions as a result.

That's not what I said.

Cals in vs Cals out for weight loss.

But three identical people might eat the same number of cals with different macro profiles and have different body compositions as a result.

Apologies, I misinterpreted that.

Apologies, I misinterpreted that.

No worries. Bit distracted typing it so it mightn't have been clear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Hi, yes the original diet 801010 is basically; fruit, greens, nuts and seeds. Leafy greens are food though so I don't see why you say "supplemented

I meant it in the literal sense.

Theres no question that these diets do work. The only issue is, are you prepared to suffer it for what might only be a marginal gain? A raw food diet is a lot of effort and almost tortuous during the winter.Professional dieticians will say the value in exclusionary diets is often about whats not in them as opposed to what is, when compared to a healthy balanced diet.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Banana girl is hot so I believe her.

She's no Jamie Eason

ror_74 wrote: »
    I meant it in the literal sense.

Theres no question that these diets do work. The only issue is, are you prepared to suffer it for what might only be a marginal gain? A raw food diet is a lot of effort and almost tortuous during the winter.Professional dieticians will say the value in exclusionary diets is often about whats not in them as opposed to what is, when compared to a healthy balanced diet.

Ah I see what you mean.

Honestly, it was the easiest thing ever after a few weeks of getting used to it. I've failed countless times at trying to be healthy and I have no willpower but it's actually just so easy to eat like this. Fruit is the ultimate fast food lol! Just throw 10 bananas in a blender with some dates or frozen berries and there's a meal. Yummy :) It would be fairly hard to be fully raw but that's why Freelee came up with the Raw Till 4 plan. Rice cooker does all the work for dinner too.

A lot of "raw diets" are "gourmet raw" with complicated meals based on nuts and cacao cr@p and loads of salad (who wants to eat leaves all the time?!!). I blend my greens into my smoothies so I don't even taste them.
    Freelee eats loads of dates in the winter which is really easy too.

And like I said, I felt unreal, and so does everyone else I've talked to who do it. Definitely more than marginal gain. Definitely no torture involved. :)

Also, I think it's so sad seeing people restricting their cals to less than 2000 and still struggling with their weight when I eat so much, am always satisfied and I see other people losing weight eating 3000+ cals on this lifestyle. It's just really sad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Calorie counts in food is not an exact science, for example almonds actually yield less calorie energy that the calorie count would indicate,

Similarly eating pasta cold yields less calories than warm.

Most of the cals in fruit are not digested if you eat whole fruit, if you blend it in a smoothie it breaks down some of the cell walls and it's more easily digested.

So Durian rider claims to eat 3,500 cals per day (and I've no reason to not believe him) but he looks seriously underweight.

Fruit is great for you, eat a lot of it, but remember to eat other things too.

Calorie counts in food is not an exact science, for example almonds actually yield less calorie energy that the calorie count would indicate,

Similarly eating pasta cold yields less calories than warm.

Most of the cals in fruit are not digested if you eat whole fruit, if you blend it in a smoothie it breaks down some of the cell walls and it's more easily digested.

So Durian rider claims to eat 3,500 cals per day (and I've no reason to not believe him) but he looks seriously underweight.

Fruit is great for you, eat a lot of it, but remember to eat other things too.

He's not underweight, that's what cyclists look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

He's not underweight, that's what cyclists look like.

No no, not all cyclists!!!

Advertisement