Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 8 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos
    Detroit Lions @ Atlanta Falcons
    Chicago Bears @ New England Patriots
    Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals
    Minnesota Vikings @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    St Louis Rams @ Kansas City Chiefs
    Miami Dolphins @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets
    Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers
    Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals
    Oakland Raiders @ Cleveland Browns
    Indianapolis Colts @ Pittsburgh Steelers
    Green Bay Packers @ New Orleans Saints
    Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Verrett is supposedly suiting up to play tonight for the Chargers even though he hasn't practiced all week.

Can see the Chargers getting to within a TD without winning. Short week, Denver at home and Manning being Manning - think they'll win it. Hopefully it's a shootout though cos I've nothing on in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Philadelphia Eagles@ Arizona Cardinals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'll go with the Broncos to win tonight, will look at the rest over the weekend. Have the Chargers +9.5 and over 51.5 points at 23/10, expecting this to be a bit of a wild one!

Just noticed Flowers is out for San Diego... oof.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I'll go with the Broncos to win tonight, will look at the rest over the weekend. Have the Chargers +9.5 and over 51.5 points at 23/10, expecting this to be a bit of a wild one!

Just noticed Flowers is out for San Diego... oof.

I was very close to predicting the Chargers for tonight. But in the end I went with the Broncos and home field advantage.

• Advertisement

That was weird... if anyone just saw the Chargers locker room talk where it went to some kid (presumably the coaches) there was clearly someone wearing a Packers hat in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Not a run play in sight.. oh there we go.

Some amount of shyte talk tonight from the commentary team.

He got real lucky there if the forearm was down.

• Advertisement

Peyton Manning rules in full effect still, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Think at this stage you could definitely argue that chris harris jr. is in the top tier of the leagues CBs. Awesome

spiralism wrote: »
    Think at this stage you could definitely argue that chris harris jr. is in the top tier of the leagues CBs. Awesome

THE COMEBACK IS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

troll-devil-l.png

Billy86 wrote: »
    Peyton Manning rules in full effect still, I see.

...and again. I'm quite sure the flag didn't even come out until after the pick was made. And then on the next play, I'm pretty certain the ball never crossed the plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Atrocious call by the refs on the interception.

That was like a dodgy soccer call.
    Shocking to see such a soft call in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Going to be really hard to look past the Broncos for the superbowl this year. No weaknesses on offense or defense. Kicker looks a bit dodgy might cost them and of course the officials in the back pocket

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I couldn't believe how often San Diego was running Oliver last night, despite the fact that he consistently lost yards. I still like this Chargers team, it's amazing that Antonio Gates is still so good so many years into his career, he's about as consistent an endzone target as there is.

I'd agree that the Broncos look like the team to beat though, the additions they made during the season have improved them so much, especially when compared to the moves their rivals made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

I couldn't believe how often San Diego was running Oliver last night, despite the fact that he consistently lost yards. I still like this Chargers team, it's amazing that Antonio Gates is still so good so many years into his career, he's about as consistent an endzone target as there is.

I'd agree that the Broncos look like the team to beat though, the additions they made during the season have improved them so much, especially when compared to the moves their rivals made.

They were just trying to take time off the clock and do what they did last year to the Broncos and what they did this year to the Seahawks and keep the opposition offence off the field.

The problem is is that this year Denver's defence is better and had a point to prove after last year. San Diego are by no means out of it in a weak AFC but that's two losses in a row and at the Dolphins next won't be easy who should be coming off three wins in a row themselves when they dispose of the Jags this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

This is a bit frightening. Chargers safety Jahleel Addae No. 37 has a pretty innocuous helmet to helmet with Emmanuel Sanders in the first quarter of last nights game.

Then has a very strange reaction to an even more innocuous hit in the third. Hard to believe he returned to the game!

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/23/jahleel-addae-chargers-safety-has-scary-involuntary-reaction-after-hit/

is it possible to embed Vines into posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

skippymac6 wrote: »
    San Diego are by no means out of it in a weak AFC

Agree that San Diego aren't out of it, but I don't think the AFC is weak, if anything it's as good as if not better than the NFC right now.

• Advertisement

Agree that San Diego aren't out of it, but I don't think the AFC is weak, if anything it's as good as if not better than the NFC right now.

Nah I don't agree with that pal. In the AFC there are two very weak divisions in the East and South and probably already 4 seeds locked in with Denver, New England, Indy and one of Cincy or Baltimore taking the AFC North. San Diego are certainly the front runners for the 6th seed (or perhaps the 5th) but after that the Chiefs are probably the only team that could knock one of the wildcards out. The Dolphins are too erratic with Tannihill at QB, the Steelers D isn't what it was and Buffalo and Houston have major issues at QB.

Contrast that with the NFC were only the NFC South is a weak division. Green Bay, Dallas, Detroit, Seattle, San Fran and Arizona are all top 10 teams probably and then you have the likes of Chicago, the Giants, New Orleans while erratic are as good as Miami, Houston, Pittsburgh etc.

You might make thepoint that the Chargers knocked off the Seahawks and Denver beat San Fran but also then Seattle beat Denver, Philadelphia beat Indy and the list goes on in both directions. The fact of the matter is that Tennesse, Jacksonville and Oakland are in the bottom 4 teams this year probably along with Tampa Bay and that's one reason teams like Houston, Miami, Pittsburgh are picking up easy wins.

I think you'll see come the end of the year that there will be a few 9-7 or 10-6 teams in the NFC missing out while that certainly won't be the case in the AFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The AFC looks much stronger than the NFC this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Imo the NFC is deeper but the top teams in the AFC are better than the top ones in the NFC right now. Pats are the pats, we're playing about as well as i`ve ever seen us and Indy, Baltimore and San Diego are formidable and could handle anything in the NFC at the moment.

Nah I don't agree with that pal. In the AFC there are two very weak divisions in the East and South

Quite wrong I'm afraid. AFC East teams finished the 2013 season with a better winning record than 5 other divisions - AFC North, AFC South, NFC North, NFC East and NFC South. And of all the teams that finished last in their divisions across the league, the Bills were the strongest team, finishing with a 6-10 record.

Quite wrong I'm afraid. AFC East teams finished the 2013 season with a better winning record than 5 other divisions - AFC North, AFC South, NFC North, NFC East and NFC South. And of all the teams that finished last in their divisions across the league, the Bills were the strongest team, finishing with a 6-10 record.

Quite wrong I'm afraid. The Rams finished bottom of the NFC West last year with a 7-9 record.

Also the Cardinals finished outside of the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Also you are factoring the Jets at 8-8 in last years discussion, they are 1-6 now.

Quite wrong I'm afraid. The Rams finished bottom of the NFC West last year with a 7-9 record.

Also the Cardinals finished outside of the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Also you are factoring the Jets at 8-8 in last years discussion, they are 1-6 now.
    I think you need to read a post before you state it is wrong.

It's an interesting one - in the AFC, the Broncos are looking extremely strong and the Chargers are not far behind. The Ravens have slipped under the radar a bit and are right up there too. Indianapolis is a bit of a question mark for me, they look extremely good so far but they have lost 2 of their 3 tough games so far (Denver, Philly... and beating Baltimore) - the rest of their schedule is very soft for the most part though, which will help them. New England have not looked hugely convincing, but you still know they will be there or thereabouts. The Bengals look to have lost a lot of steam, and then there are some decent teams but nothing too threatening.

In the NFC the Cowboys have the question mark of how they finish the season but have looked devastating so far, while the Cardinals like the Ravens have gone a little unnoticed - they have Palmer back now and have gone 5-1 despite having to scrape through with Drew Stanton for a few games (and in their one loss had to move back to Logan Thomas, a 4th round rookie). Detroit have a major Achilles heel in that they simply are not the same team with Megatron/Bush out on offense and have not gone over 24 points all season, but their defence is lethal. Philadelphia are having trouble at QB but otherwise are a very strong team. And Green Bay have been on a roll with Rodgers in possibly even better form than 2011, Jordy Nelson arguably in the best form of any WR in the league, and some rookies like Clinton-Dix (S) and Corey Linsley (C) improving quickly week on week, big body players on the defensive line improving week on week for the run defence, a much improved pass defence, and are second in the league in takeaways tied with NE. They have won their last four games on a tear, by a total score of 145-67 but need to face a big test since they failed in their first two early in the year (@SEA, @DET). the 49ers and Seahawks are both hiccuping also but looking at their talent levels, should be there or thereabouts. The NFC South has been very underwhelming thus far though, and it looks like the wheels have about come off in Carolina as with Cincinnati.

Basically I think it's too early and too close to tell, apart from the Broncos being out in first (beating Arizona albeit with Stanton/Thomas at QB, Indy, SF, SD and KC - losing to SEA), the Cowboys thus far in behind them, then San Diego, then it being a toss up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Well it depends how you want to see a conference. Which is tougher, one with several upper echelon teams and admittedly some of the weakest teams in the NFL (AFC). Or a conference with 1 or 2 top tier teams and lots of middling teams fighting behind them and only 1 or 2 bad teams. (NFC).

Top to bottom the NFC possibly shades it. But the best teams in the NFL currently reside in the AFC. (DEN, BAL, IND, NE, SD, compared with GB, SEA, maybe DAL, maybe PHI in the NFC) Of course this could all change in February when Denver get beaten 56 - 10 by Dallas!

Actually, just looking at it on Football outsiders total DVOA rankings it's actually quite even if you pair the teams up. Imagine trying to pick these games straight up, neutral field. None stand out as a gimmie one way or the other.

DEN v GB
    SD v SEA
    BAL v PHI
    IND v DAL
    KC v DET
    MIA v ARI
    NE v SF
    CIN v NO
    PIT v CHI
    BUF v ATL
    CLE v NYG
    HOU v WAS
    TEN v CAR
    NYJ v STL
    OAK v MIN
    JAC v TB

poldebruin wrote: »
    Well it depends how you want to see a conference. Which is tougher, one with several upper echelon teams and admittedly some of the weakest teams in the NFL (AFC). Or a conference with 1 or 2 top tier teams and lots of middling teams fighting behind them and only 1 or 2 bad teams. (NFC).

Top to bottom the NFC possibly shades it. But the best teams in the NFL currently reside in the AFC. (DEN, BAL, IND, NE, SD, compared with GB, SEA, maybe DAL, maybe PHI in the NFC) Of course this could all change in February when Denver get beaten 56 - 10 by Dallas!

Actually, just looking at it on Football outsiders total DVOA rankings it's actually quite even if you pair the teams up. Imagine trying to pick these games straight up, neutral field. None stand out as a gimmie one way or the other.

DEN v GB
    SD v SEA
    BAL v PHI
    IND v DAL
    KC v DET
    MIA v ARI
    NE v SF
    CIN v NO
    PIT v CHI
    BUF v ATL
    CLE v NYG
    HOU v WAS
    TEN v CAR
    NYJ v STL
    OAK v MIN
    JAC v TB
    I'm all in on the Cards to beat the Dolphins.

• Advertisement

"And of all the teams that finished last in their divisions across the league..."

I'd interpret that as talking about the league itself in a whole. What senses would it make to say that of the divisions that they had the higher winning percentage against, they also had the last team with a better record than all?

Advertisement