Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Inbox App (Discussion Only, No Invites)

Options
  • 22-10-2014 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭

Looks like google have launched a new email app, inbox.
    Today, we’re introducing something new. It’s called Inbox. Years in the making, Inbox is by the same people who brought you Gmail, but it’s not Gmail: it’s a completely different type of inbox, designed to focus on what really matters.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.ie/2014/10/an-inbox-that-works-for-you.html

Still in an invite only beta.

(Anyone care to PM me a spare invite? :-) ).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Looking on Twitter and Google+ for the last 20 minutes. Even people with the app don't seam to be able to invite friends at the moment.

I've sent the email and got a reply saying they'll send me one but who knows how long that will be.

"Thanks for requesting an invite. We'll send you one as soon as possible.

Your friends at Gmail"

Edit: bit of a wait.
    second tier of Inbox invites should be going out Friday. Today is only special / press invites and if you know someone at Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭deep1

Waiting for invite myself, how do you know that second tier invite going on Friday?

deep1 wrote: »
    Waiting for invite myself, how do you know that second tier invite going on Friday?

Android police, who leaked the story yesterday, mentioned it on Twitter.

"On Friday, everyone who got an invite today will get invitations to hand out, seemingly 10 per account."

Which isn't a lot considering thousands are looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

Just sent them a request, hopefully I can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Sent a request too. Same kind of rubbish that came with the Mailbox app, a waiting line to get access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Should we start a new thread for invites,

If any of the boards members have a spare invite I'd take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I CAN'T LIVE THROUGH ANOTHER WAVE GOOGLE!
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sent a request, now we wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I requested an invite too, so the waiting game begins!

I wonder if there's a certain codeword you could use in the invite email that would mark you as press/employee and send you straight back an invite? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Looks like a cool app. I've signed up for an invite too. Happy to share invites when I get mine, but in the meantime if any of ye have spares, please send one on!

Any idea if this will work with multiple accounts, like the GMail does (a slide in from the side to switch accounts)?? I like that I can switch between my 2 accounts really easily in gmail, and I'd be hoping that Inbox can do the same. I've asked for an invite from both my gmail addresses, just in case a single invite will only work with one account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭theintern

I got an invite from a friend (which unfortunately means I don't have any to share yet), so if you have any questions go ahead and I'll try answer them.

@waynegalway As far as I can see, you can manage multiple accounts with this, in exactly the same slide to change way as you could before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Is this not just like the Mailbox or Accompli apps?

reni10 wrote: »
    Is this not just like the Mailbox or Accompli apps?

Yeah similar concept but more privacy as your email don't need to go through Mailbox or Acompli servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

***Stupid question alert***

Can I assume you simply login with Gmail or will inbox give you the option to sign up for a new email address with a new domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nedd

Read somewhere that Google will start sending invites tomorrow. Small number of "beta" style invites on the rounds now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

SuperOito wrote: »
    ***Stupid question alert***

Can I assume you simply login with Gmail or will inbox give you the option to sign up for a new email address with a new domain?

Just downloaded the app - that answers that! I thought they might launch another domain for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

screenshot_2014-10-240oz3a.pngscreenshot_2014-10-246ez5r.pngscreenshot_2014-10-24ctyib.pngscreenshot_2014-10-24r7xt3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Forgot to include this earlier

Just an update to my last post, Send invite option is still not showing for some reason, prob few glitches while google sort this, i had seen the option this morning before my post.

I will send the invites as soon as i have option as promised but in case it is good idea to send email to
    inbox@google.com too.

Thanks

daytob wrote: »
    @Gran Hermano check your mail
    Its supposed to take a day till the invite icon shows up. looks like this:
    inbox9ff63.jpg

Yeah saw this morning showed up as i started using it yesterday, will wait .

Are you getting any sound when new email comes, for some reason iphone doesn't make any sound.

• Advertisement

yeah saw this yesterday , current bidding at $500 :confused:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EXCLUSIVE-Google-Inbox-by-Gmail-INVITATION-INVITE-Immediate-Beta-Access-/161460985769?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2597d31fa9

@SuperOito, Yes you are on list, once google god show me the option :)

I applied by emailing Google for an invite about an hour after they launched the app and they posted their official blog post. Last night just after midnight I received an email from Google with an invitation:

"Your invitation to Inbox by Gmail is enclosed. Activate your invite by downloading the app below."

I have the app working but don't have any invitations I can pass onto others. I'll post in this thread again later and offer them when I see them available. Really liking the app so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Any opinions from those who got it? As somebody who turned away from the promotions/social etc label system in regular gmail should i stay away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

havent had a chance to dick around with it for too long today, but it seems pretty good, will take a while to get used to though

Quick initial thoughts after only using for a short while..
    Thought initially the smart grouping would annoy me as there are more default groups than gmail.
    Not annoying as groups are handled, displayed and prioritised better.

I particularly like how it groups online purchases and displays the group. Very easy to see and track numerous orders from several vendors.

I've the app and given away my invites earlier in the thread.

I'm now thinking this is all a giant marketing strategy. Google have huge resources with server farms all over the world that can easily scale this app. They don't need this invite system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Dudda wrote: »
    I've the app and given away my invites earlier in the thread.

I'm now thinking this is all a giant marketing strategy. Google have huge resources with server farms all over the world that can easily scale this app. They don't need this invite system.

That would be part of it but it probably also means that you know it's a beta. Only people who go looking for it get it and because of that they will hope to actually get better feedback. Instead of "OMG this is ****" they get "Crashed when I tried to move between folders"

Needs widget badly and also to change it to default email app. Notifications working well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

how could you sex up an email system though... its just like putting my little pony stickers on your letterbox! Sorry to be a cynic but isn't this probably just a better way to mine your mails to sell you sh###.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Got an invite, no option to share yet but will post once I can.

Overall, the app is nice and I'm very particular about my labels and this seems to organise everything very well. I tend to Star items I need to get to later but forget about them so the snooze and done options appeal to me.

Will test the desktop version later, I archive all my mail regardless so anything in my Inbox is new so I'll let it build up.

Advertisement