Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

210lbs 6'2 progress (pics)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The OP did say he played rugby and started going to the gym to put on mass for rugby but ended up not going back.

I don't know why people can't appreciate that going to the gym and putting in the work and seeing progress can't be fulfilling in and of itself without the need to be validated by improving a different sporting performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The OP did say he played rugby and started going to the gym to put on mass for rugby but ended up not going back.

I don't know why people can't appreciate that going to the gym and putting in the work and seeing progress can't be fulfilling in and of itself without the need to be validated by improving a different sporting performance.

And for some the visible gains are entirely secondary. For me, it's the reward of gradually gaining the ability to move more and more mass for the same apparent subjective effort. I didn't imagine when I started that that would be the reward, but there you go. Also, the 'feeling good'. I always felt great after a post workout shower. These days, I feel better, and for longer. Apart from the day Ben Dunne took the free shower gel out of his gyms! :mad:

It's all 'inner' for me. Don't care what anybody else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Fair play man!Great work.

What does a high carb day look like?
    Would you still carb cycle on a bulk, or ist it better suited for fat loss?
    Do you do any cardio?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

That is so patronizing and petty. Off the couch....WTF this guy obviously carried the couch around over his head half the day.

I have seen lads fat a fook lift big weights and be good at rugby. What is your point except to lob in bitter grenades.
    "I dont mean to take away from your achievements" translates into "I need to find a way to take away from your achievements"
    reads first page and last page.

What the fu~k happened in the middle??

Seriously people gave him sh1t over this?

Nice work dude, keep it up as you're young and wise enough at your age to know whats important and sound like you're focusing on the bigger picture which is enjoying the process without turning it into a grind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That is so patronizing and petty. Off the couch....WTF this guy obviously carried the couch around over his head half the day.

I have seen lads fat a fook lift big weights and be good at rugby. What is your point except to lob in bitter grenades.
    "I dont mean to take away from your achievements" translates into "I need to find a way to take away from your achievements"

Are you referencing my post with that comment?

I asked a valid question, which was if he achieved his physique naturally. I think that's within reason, given that he's posting gains of 80 lbs in 4 years, albeit in peak test times, as a young guy.

Certainly not trying to knock him in any way. Natural or not, that takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication. But as mentioned above, the numbers are phenomenal if 'unassisted'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

daRobot wrote: »
    Are you referencing my post with that comment?

I asked a valid question, which was if he achieved his physique naturally. I think that's within reason, given that he's posting gains of 80 lbs in 4 years, albeit in peak test times, as a young guy.

Certainly not trying to knock him in any way. Natural or not, that takes a tremendous amount of work and dedication. But as mentioned above, the numbers are phenomenal if 'unassisted'.

80lb gained does not mean 80lb of pure muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭imonboard

Blacktie. wrote: »
    He actually went up to 250 pounds from being that skinny kid.:eek:

Blacktie. wrote: »

I do realise that.

Considering he's probably at around 8% bf at 210, and the pics of the kid at 130 are certainly not at that BF, you can safely say most of that 80lbs gain, would indeed be muscle.

But wasn't that totally obvious already?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

daRobot wrote: »
    Fair play to you, you're in incredible shape.

An average 10kgs of muscle per year, is a massive amount to put on. Not trying to knock your achievements whatsoever, but was it done naturally?

The reason I was so skinny was due to poor eating habits, not going to say I was anorexic but i was a very picky eater. My natural weight was 150 which I hit from eating normally. I have pics documenting each year so you can see a natural time line. I did have good genetics, just limited myself because of poor habits as mentioned

Completely natural, don't plan on really competing or making money off my physique because that would involve taking it the next level which is what you're hinting at

Thanks for clearing that up, before I got dragged into some flame war :pac:

Incredible gains, respect.

• Advertisement

Fair play man!Great work.

What does a high carb day look like?
    Would you still carb cycle on a bulk, or ist it better suited for fat loss?
    Do you do any cardio?

I honestly just hit a buffet joint like Jimmy Chungs on my high carb day, eat magnum ice creams and chocolate chip muffins. I try to hit 500g carbs. This only works because the other 6 days are very strict.

I would implement some sort of carb cycle to bulking definitely, I'm planning on incorporating that next bulking cycle

Cardio will help me get to a very low bf % but to get to where I am now all you need to do is create a calorie deficit. I'm probably 7%bf at the moment, so for me to get to 5 or below I would need cardio to shock my metabolism

All this is my own opinion though, studies could prove me wrong on the above. I'm still learning myself as I go along

imonboard wrote: »
    He actually went up to 250 pounds from being that skinny kid.:eek:

210lbs but don't be fooled I went through a period last year of heavy lifting and serious eating. It wasn't pretty. I weighed as much as 250lbs at my peak which was a ridiculous weight for a 21 year old.

2qio9ra.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was a blob at 22. Fair play to you.

beertons wrote: »
    I was a blob at 22. Fair play to you.

The pic above I wasn't the most in shape guy either. The trick to gaining size is to put aside a period where you eat everything and anything. As I said it's not pretty, but of you do it right and follow it up with a decent cut you will be miles ahead of everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Keep saying il eventually join the gym and get bigger an more defined but too busy with work an then I'd need t have someone mind me daughter while I go and just seems impossible to get to gym everyday then. But working as truck mechanic I do a lot of lifting heavy things and physical labour so think that's why my arms are bit bigger.
    Any recommendations of eating.?
    I'm 6"2 101 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jaysus, I didn't know Jurgen Klopp was ripped :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Nice going

Keep saying il eventually join the gym and get bigger an more defined but too busy with work an then I'd need t have someone mind me daughter while I go and just seems impossible to get to gym everyday then. But working as truck mechanic I do a lot of lifting heavy things and physical labour so think that's why my arms are bit bigger.
    I'm 6"2 101 kg

I have two jobs and a kid and still manage 5 days a week so don't look at the limitations, you can definitely find time to hit the gym

Being a mechanic you'll build good arm strength. Diet wise I would just eat food products that your grandparents would recognise, i.e. no processed crap. Sweet potatoes, rice cakes, oatmeal, tuna, chicken, eggs and cheese are great staple food items

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

RomanGod wrote: »
    I have two jobs and a kid and still manage 5 days a week so don't look at the limitations, you can definitely find time to hit the gym

Being a mechanic you'll build good arm strength. Diet wise I would just eat food products that your grandparents would recognise, i.e. no processed crap. Sweet potatoes, rice cakes, oatmeal, tuna, chicken, eggs and cheese are great staple food items

I eat a lot of protein like steak eggs and rabbit and cheese. Not much I to eating crap. I do drink a lot if coke though which I know is pretty unhealthy. Rice cakes and oatmeal is a no go for me as they turn me stomach just by looking at them.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I didn't know Jurgen Klopp was ripped :P!

I get this reference so often that I actually took the time to Google him. The glasses, facial hair and certain facial features are uncanny. When I grow my beard out and wear contacts I'm a different person entirely

• Advertisement

I eat a lot of protein like steak eggs and rabbit and cheese. Not much I to eating crap. I do drink a lot if coke though which I know is pretty unhealthy. Rice cakes and oatmeal is a no go for me as they turn me stomach just by looking at them.

I'd cut out the coke alright

Wholegrain rice mixed with some chilli peppers is a good carb source. Mix some chicken in there as well

This is typically what i sit down to for meal #4

wvec7t.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Very impressive OP, fair play to ya. This has been a good read so far. I've seen enough people throwing up pictures of themselves in different manners, but you are genuinely inspiring people here and helping with whatever questions they have. It's a pity one particular poster didn't take a shine to you but so be it.

As a matter of interest , what is your social life like? You're only young at 22, possibly in college and I'm sure all your friends are out plenty. Do you drink alcohol or how would your 'fitness' life clash with your 'social' life? If that's ok to ask :)

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Very impressive OP, fair play to ya. This has been a good read so far. I've seen enough people throwing up pictures of themselves in different manners, but you are genuinely inspiring people here and helping with whatever questions they have. It's a pity one particular poster didn't take a shine to you but so be it.

As a matter of interest , what is your social life like? You're only young at 22, possibly in college and I'm sure all your friends are out plenty. Do you drink alcohol or how would your 'fitness' life clash with your 'social' life? If that's ok to ask :)

Finished college this summer, working now. I've been in a long term relationship for around 3 years now so I haven't touched alcohol since halloween 2011 when I was last single. My social life is non existent for the fact that I am working pretty much every day and long hours. I'm trying to save up for a house. Most people who know me would say I'm good to get on with, I'm not a hermit who avoids social interactions but i literally have too much going on at the moment to go out with friends. For that reason I have lost touch with social circles but ill have time later on in life to rectify that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Woh woh back up the bus their chief!

Two jobs, a kid and under 25yrs old!

Someone give this guy a man of the year award already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Finished college this summer, working now. I've been in a long term relationship for around 3 years now so I haven't touched alcohol since halloween 2011 when I was last single. My social life is non existent for the fact that I am working pretty much every day and long hours. I'm trying to save up for a house. Most people who know me would say I'm good to get on with, I'm not a hermit who avoids social interactions but i literally have too much going on at the moment to go out with friends. For that reason I have lost touch with social circles but ill have time later on in life to rectify that

Thanks for the reply. I'm in college and big in to fitness myself and I'm always interested in seeing how people balance both. Haha I'm sure the Mrs.Klopp has loved the transformation over the 3 years :D

Best of luck with the house :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I'm 6"2 101 kg

If you've time to watch TV or movies or use the internet etc. then you have time to lift. I know people who sometimes work 50 hour weeks and still set aside the 40mins-1hour a day to lift. It's all about whether or not the individual really wants it as much as they think.

I get this reference so often that I actually took the time to Google him. The glasses, facial hair and certain facial features are uncanny. When I grow my beard out and wear contacts I'm a different person entirely

Google Cobus Potgieter too, give him a beard and you could probably pass as twins

Transform wrote: »
    Woh woh back up the bus their chief!

Two jobs, a kid and under 25yrs old!

Someone give this guy a man of the year award already

Can't tell if that's sarcasm but I was just letting the poster know that there is enough time in the day to fit in a 45 minute workout no matter how much you have going on in your life. If you find time to watch TV you should find time for exercise, it's all about how badly you want to get into shape

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's some work OP, it looks like solid snake got buffed up.
    Well done. :)

When you say reduce rest times instead of cardio, I wonder about some people in general. For instance the most muscly dudes in my gym (only use weights mostly), if they get on a treadmill, they last a few minutes at most, which I find rather confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Roughly how many grams of protein are you taking in per day? Ever try zero carb, high fat, high protein?

• Advertisement

That's some work OP, it looks like solid snake got buffed up.
    Well done. :)

When you say reduce rest times instead of cardio, I wonder about some people in general. For instance the most muscly dudes in my gym (only use weights mostly), if they get on a treadmill, they last a few minutes at most, which I find rather confusing.

Most bodybuilders are trained to perform an exercise for 8 reps typically which takes maybe
    25 seconds. They rest 30 seconds and repeat. They are not trained to do 30 minutes on a treadmill. Same way a marathon runner may not hack 8 reps of heavy weight training. You'll find very few people who are an all round player when it comes to fitness. The most notable were probably Greg Plitt and Mario Pudzianowski. Weird to put these two together but these guys packed on muscle and had great cardiovascular abilities to boot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement