Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Missed out on a free worldwide promotion for their country.
    They do act like idiots but the countries they visit are normally portrayed in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The plate is genuine and has been registered since 1991 in the uk
    Tax and insurance is all up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I was going to say they jumped the shark, but that would be a pretty good statement for every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

kneemos wrote: »
    They do act like idiots but the countries they visit are normally portrayed in a good way.

I was thinking the same thing.
    When they went looking for the best driving road and found the Stelvio Pass, how many people then went and did it for themselves?
    Argentina kinda shot themselves in the foot potentially - considering the shape their economy is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Not the greatest PR move by the Argentine. Was obviously a big set up but Argentina would have been better to have ignored and let them produce a rather half-asred episode rather than give them the publicity they clearly wanted.

Though I did enjoy that one they did in the deep South where one of them had a car painted pink and "I Like men" (or similar) painted on it. Then I realised that my enjoyment was me thinking someone is going to get their ass handed to them :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

kneemos wrote: »

I doubt the Argentinian tourist board are too bothered about attracting those that watch Top Gear for holiday tips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Dartz

Someone at Porsche is cackling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

bear1 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing.
    When they went looking for the best driving road and found the Stelvio Pass, how many people then went and did it for themselves?
    Argentina kinda shot themselves in the foot potentially - considering the shape their economy is in.

Thought the Transfagasan (or however you spell it) was the best road?

The Stelvio has been to known about for years - at least by cyclists ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the bit at the end about:

Clarkson : "I apologise for saying ****** even though I never said it" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Gatling wrote: »
    The plate is genuine and has been registered since 1991 in the uk
    Tax and insurance is all up to date

Wow, only £230 for 12months road tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd imagine it was an English plate, not an Argentinian one.

Agree with the rest though.
    Well then the English government has produced a licence plate that alludes to the Falklands'. That has to be a declaration of war, surely?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Wow, only £230 for 12months road tax!

Not bad for a porsche 928

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Be a bit of a laugh to drive around Birmingham with an 'IRA 21' number plate or around Canary Wharf or Warrington with an 'IRA 2' number plate. Maybe pop down to Brighton with an 'IRA 5' plate on.
    I'm sure the Brits would find it a bit of a giggle seeing as they have such a wonderful sense of humour..

Let's face it, if they really wanted to do a motoring show about Argentina, the number plate would have been on a Maserati and it would have read......

FAN910 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I enjoy Top Gear, but found that the last 2/3 years' specials are too scripted. That said, there are plenty alive today who lost loved ones in the Falklands war and for that, they were treading on egg shells.

I also know some Argentinians living here and they have lost faith in their own country. The current government have ruined the country. Their economic policies make Sinn Fein look like a bunch of Warren Buffetts. One of my argentinian friends can't even send his mother a christmas gift because of government restrictions on imports, and she is not a "licensed importer". It doesn't matter how good or bad the joke, the argentine government would probably ban it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Be a bit of a laugh to drive around Birmingham with an 'IRA 21' number plate or around Canary Wharf or Warrington with an 'IRA 2' number plate. Maybe pop down to Brighton with an 'IRA 5' plate on.
    I'm sure the Brits would find it a bit of a giggle seeing as they have such a wonderful sense of humour..

That was so funny that I nearly pi$$ed myself.

Bit of a difference between blowing the fcuk out of ordinary civilians: at a remembrance parade, in a pub - to two armies fighting each other though.

That was so funny that I nearly pi$$ed myself.

Bit of a difference between blowing the fcuk out of ordinary civilians: at a remembrance parade, in a pub - to two armies fighting each other though.

Except when you realise that most of the Argentinian forces sent to the Islands were conscripts, and the whole controversy around the sinking of ARA Belgrano.......before you even get to the reason why the Islands were invaded in the first place.

Anyway, Top Gear is (and has been for sometime) recycling the same old format - go to a country and poke fun at it based on crude stereotyping. It's still mildly amusing, but it's becoming quite tired.

It would be better if they brought in some fresh faces and made it less scripted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh, kicking out a bunch of tits from Argentina does not equal world gone mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

biko wrote: »

I think those defending Clarkson et al would feel less enamoured if they were driving around here with inflammatory number plates referring to our own violent history with Engerland.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I think those defending Clarkson et al would feel less enamoured if they were driving around here with inflammatory number plates referring to our own violent history with Engerland.

It would want to be a long plate ,

The fact its a genuine plate on a German car would suggest its a coincidence.

If it was deliberately staged it would have been put on a English marque ,

Now remind me who exactly invaded the islands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Peist2007 wrote: »

K1LLF3N1AN5
    .... too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

biko wrote: »

Kicking out a crew from a popular TV show for making either a conscious joke about a war 30 years ago or not making a conscious joke doesn't constitute madness?
    A war started no less by the Argentinians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

While the Argentine's might have had a point about Clarksons car, this is just stupid. Getting offended for the sake of it and looking to take a dig at anything English.

"Local councillor Juan Manuel Romano claimed the digits 269 on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Mustang Richard Hammond was driving were close to the 255 Britons killed during the 1982 war.

He also said the numbers 646 on James May’s Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/517859/Jeremy-Clarkson-outrage-driving-Argentina-Falklands-War-numberplate

bear1 wrote: »
    Kicking out a crew from a popular TV show for making either a conscious joke about a war 30 years ago or not making a conscious joke doesn't constitute madness?
    A war started no less by the Argentinians?

No, a war started by a vicious dictatorship - that didn't enjoy popular support and embarked on the invasion to deflect attention away from domestic unrest and growing resistance against the regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ken wrote: »
    While the Argentine's might have had a point about Clarksons car, this is just stupid. Getting offended for the sake of it and looking to take a dig at anything English.

"Local councillor Juan Manuel Romano claimed the digits 269 on the number plate of the Ford Mustang Mustang Richard Hammond was driving were close to the 255 Britons killed during the 1982 war.

He also said the numbers 646 on James May’s Lotus could be taken as a reference to the 649 Argentinian casualties."

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/517859/Jeremy-Clarkson-outrage-driving-Argentina-Falklands-War-numberplate

Well, that's certainly verging on what could be described as 'mental'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Argies - a country which has been bankrupted twice in the last 12 years, this would have been a global advert for the wonders of the countryside (anyone watch that Gaucho cattle drive two parter of BBC 2 recently?) and get people in but no they have to have a paranoid hissy-fit instead. Bunch of big girls blouses who couldn't even win a war on their own doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Though I did enjoy that one they did in the deep South where one of them had a car painted pink and "I Like men" (or similar) painted on it. Then I realised that my enjoyment was me thinking someone is going to get their ass handed to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Argies - a country which has been bankrupted twice in the last 12 years, this would have been a global advert for the wonders of the countryside (anyone watch that Gaucho cattle drive two parter of BBC 2 recently?) and get people in but no they have to have a paranoid hissy-fit instead. Bunch of big girls blouses who couldn't even win a war on their own doorstep.
    Yeah, Fackin' Awwgies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Clarkson, when asked whether the Top Gear stunt was a prank to generate publicity for his show, or an innocent coincidence.

He replied:

GOTCHA

...allegedly 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gotta love how the idiotic brits and their press are reacting to this. Saying it's a gross over-reaction etc... while they themselves are all to happy to abuse and threaten people for example, not wearing a poppy on remembrance day.

Fuckin' clowns

Advertisement