Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build for e500-700

Options
  • 28-08-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [500-700]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [video editing/rendering using sony vegas, recording xbox gameplay for ~2hr long sessions,]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [no]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19-22]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [i have no peripherals except mouse, so i need everything that is necessary]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [sure- dont know too much about it though]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [hopefully as soon as possible]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin - dundrum]

as you may have guessed I have no experience when it comes to this, so all help/suggestions are much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Any suggestions? Even a place that will build it for you after you choose components?

Thanks

Thoughts on this build? I think there is probably cheaper around.

PC Case Style: Vantage with Card Reader - Blue Leds

Processor CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.40Ghz Quad Core (+€129.00)

CPU Cooling: Intel Cooling Fan

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Premium 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Premium (+€99.00)

Motherboard: Asus B85 with USB 3.0 Support

SSD Hard Disk: none

Hard Disk 1: 1 Terabyte UDMA600

Hard Disk 2: none

Optical Drive: 24X DVD Rewriter

Video Card: Intel HD 4400/4600 Graphics

Sound Card: Realtek 8 Channel HD Audio

Wireless: none

Power Supply: CIT 500 Watt with PCI-e Support

Operating System: No PreInstalled Operating System. Windows 8.1 64 Bit with DVD Media (+€99.00)

Office Software: Open Office Suite PreInstalled

AntiVirus Software: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition with Updates

Keyboard & Mouse: none

Warranty Period: 2 Year Return to Base Warranty

Total cost: e727 + e100 for monitor = e827

Is this good value?

Thoughts on this build? I think there is probably cheaper around.

PC Case Style: Vantage with Card Reader - Blue Leds

Processor CPU: Intel i5 4670 3.40Ghz Quad Core (+€129.00)

CPU Cooling: Intel Cooling Fan

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Premium 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz Premium (+€99.00)

Motherboard: Asus B85 with USB 3.0 Support

SSD Hard Disk: none

Hard Disk 1: 1 Terabyte UDMA600

Hard Disk 2: none

Optical Drive: 24X DVD Rewriter

Video Card: Intel HD 4400/4600 Graphics

Sound Card: Realtek 8 Channel HD Audio

Wireless: none

Power Supply: CIT 500 Watt with PCI-e Support

Operating System: No PreInstalled Operating System. Windows 8.1 64 Bit with DVD Media (+€99.00)

Office Software: Open Office Suite PreInstalled

AntiVirus Software: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition with Updates

Keyboard & Mouse: none

Warranty Period: 2 Year Return to Base Warranty

Total cost: e727 + e100 for monitor = e827

Is this good value?

ETA: site is custompc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No it's not.

You would still have to get a video capture card to record the Console video-sound over onto the PC. Prices for these range from around €100-500 or more depending on what quality and frame rate you want to record at.

If you are capturing from an xbox-one for the main purpose of improving the quality over the in built capture then you would want something like the Elgato HD 60 which will set you back around €170 but will allow for 1080p @ 60fps recording. There is a cheaper model that will do 1080p @ 30fps but the video quality is not as good.

If you want to stick close to your budget I'd go for something like this. You could upgrade this to a gaming PC further down the line by adding a graphics card.

Parts were got from hardwareversand.de using geizhals.de to get the discounted prices shown. They have a build option for €30 and you still need a copy of windows and any peripherals you need.

320495.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SlipslideDC

Hi All,
    I'm under pressure to build or buy a PC for Gaming mainly and every day use.
    I have never built before but am technically ok.
    I was looking on hardwareversand and came up with this spec.....am i ott or could someone recommend one at similar level but cheaper!! Iwas thinking of around €600 but I am trying to future proof a wee bit! Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

HV20X835DE AMD FX-8350 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+ 151,51 €
    HV1145UNDE ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, AM3+, ATX 152,24 €
    HV20CD10DE 4GB Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-12800U CL9 40,74 €
    HV20CD10DE 4GB Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-12800U CL9 40,74 €
    HV0680101501DE Sale: Zalman Z9 USB 3.0 Midi-Tower - schwarz, ohne Netzteil 46,95 €
    HVR452CSDE Corsair VS Serie VS450, Non-Modular, 80+ 34,99 €
    HV1038MVDE MSI R7 260X 2GD5 OC, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 2GB DDR5 112,31 €
    HV13SB72DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 75,25 €
    HV12Z740DE Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm) 59,99 €
    HV207ASZDE ASUS BC-12D2HT/BLK/G Retail Silent 59,90 €
    HVSE7HH6DE OEM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit inkl. Vorinstallation 79,90 €
    HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau 19,99 €

Total value: 874,51 €

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

320544.jpg

Barring some massive omission or putting in two processors again I would go more in the direction outlined above.

In relation to your build I'd ask:
    Why AMD?
    Why Sabertooth - epeen board and you're not on a epeen budget
    Why that massively overpriced optical drive?

Criticisms of my build welcome!

PSU is a bit under powered I think. Go modular and get a case with good cable management, one the build is a year or so old, get yourself a better CPU cooler and overclock the CPU.

I had a look at the suggested builds there lads. Thanks for the info/suggestions. 1 main concern though - I was told to get an i7 CPU. Bearing that in mind I was looking at the following on ebay:

Case : Vantage Blue Midi Tower Case + 4 120mm Fans
    Power Supply : 500 Watt With Power Cable Supplied
    Motherboard : Gigabyte H81M-H
    CPU : Intel I7 4790 4th Gen Quad Core 3.6Ghz (turbo 4.0Ghz) CPU
    Hard Drive : 1tb Sata Hard Drive
    Memory : 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance Memory
    Graphics Card : Onboard Intergrated (DVI / VGA)
    Optical Drive : 24x Dual Layer DVD Writer
    Warranty : 12 Months Return To Base (Parts & Labour)
    Connections : 6 x USB 2.0 / 2 x USB 3.0 / LAN / Sound
    Software : Windows 7 Home 64 bi

concerns: the mobo will take a max of 16gb RAM. No GPU. None of that really fast RAM, not too sure the name. Have to add a monitor for ~e100
    cost: e630 delivered

Does this seem like a good deal. I am slightly leaning towards this as I can pay today and have it by Fri. Can also add GPU later if needed and whatever other upgrades.On hardwareversand some of the components are not in stock so could be waiting a while.

Thanks

You didn't answer the question on what your goal was with the PC.

Do you intent on recording xbox-one at 1080p? 30fps or 60? I'd imagine there are very few games running at 1080p with 60fps.

If yes you will need a capture card like the one I suggested. Is that included in your pc budget?

You don't need an i7, an i5 would even be overkill.

I think bepolites build was aimed at slipsideDC.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You didn't answer the question on what your goal was with the PC.

Do you intent on recording xbox-one at 1080p? 30fps or 60? I'd imagine there are very few games running at 1080p with 60fps.

If yes you will need a capture card like the one I suggested. Is that included in your pc budget?

You don't need an i7, an i5 would even be overkill.

I think bepolites build was aimed at slipsideDC.

Goal is to record xbox footage for ~2hr long sessions. I already have an Elgato, the one that records at 30FPS, the game capture HD.

Than putting commentary over it and editing in Sony Vegas. Then render and upload to YouTube. Vids will be ~10 min long.

Apart from that it will be used for the normal stuff, such as surfing the net, etc.So with that being said, budget of e700 for PC and monitor.

Thanks.

ETA: am ready to order straight away, and ideally to get it built by the company.

You could put the money saved into upgrading to an i5 and 16gb of ram then with enough left over to grab a copy of windows and maybe upgrade the power supply to the 550w or 650w version so you're covered for any graphics card you add in future.

• Advertisement

here's the new build. Its about e100 over budget at the minute. Any idea where saving can be made? Thanks.

Edit: cant post pics. will ask mod to embed pic.

Article No. HV1135RKDE ASRock B85M Pro4, Sockel 1150, mATX
    ready for dispatch
    57,74 €

Article No. HV12Z740DE Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)
    ready for dispatch
    59,99 €

Article No. HVR452CSDE Corsair VS Serie VS450, Non-Modular, 80+
    ready for dispatch
    34,99 €

Article No. HV203F59DE Cooler Master N200, mATX-mini-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    Delivery date unknown
    33,43 €

Article No. HV20MI49DE 16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    ready for dispatch
    129,11 €

Article No. HV20Y467DE Intel Core i5-4670 Box, LGA1150
    ready for dispatch
    192,61 €

Article No. HV13SB71DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    ready for dispatch
    49,81 €

Article No. HV21LX9MDE LG 22MP55HQ-P
    ready for dispatch
    99,00 €

Article No. HV33E7U3DE Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SB-Version Englisch
    Delivery date unknown
    163,01 €

Total: e820

Sorry for the crappy layout. Cant attach pics.

Barring some massive omission or putting in two processors again I would go more in the direction outlined above.

In relation to your build I'd ask:
    Why AMD?
    Why Sabertooth - epeen board and you're not on a epeen budget
    Why that massively overpriced optical drive?

Criticisms of my build welcome!

PSU is a bit under powered I think. Go modular and get a case with good cable management, one the build is a year or so old, get yourself a better CPU cooler and overclock the CPU.[/QUOTE]

Thanks bepolites,
    I was going for the AMD setup as a money saver.....but seem to hit a brick wall when ever I mention AMD!!
    The intel i5 you mentioned would this out strip the FX 8350 all round?
    The Sabertooth I picked up on in a build on Toms Hardware and what is epeen!
    The optical drive had blueray!! Just trying not to buy bottom of the barrel stuff I suppose.

Thanks for your help on this, appreciate all your inputs as this will be my first build with my 11 year old son looking in so hoping all goes smoothly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idunno442

cookie, was gonna suggest a cheaper motherboard but after looking at the spec of the one in your build, its probably better to keep the one you have.

Having another look down through the build I see that you have included windows. Haven't done it myself, but I've seen many people here suggesting buying a windows key off reddit software swap. From what they've said, this can be done for ~€20 and they've said it's legit. Like I said though I haven't actually done this myself, but if that would work for you it's a pretty painless way of shaving ~€140 off the build cost. You may want to confirm this with other boarders, but I've seen it suggested many a time.

Run the parts through geizhals.de for a discount on hardwareversand.

Just search for the parts 1 by 1 and select hardwareversand from the list of sellers and add it to the cart.

---

Here's the build...

h1ttps://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/583x583q90/538/ESrni6.png

perhaps someone will embed it?

its coming in at e577, so add e50 for build and delivery + e50 for windows. That leaves about e20 for any upgrading if anyone has suggestions?

Any thoughts? Will it be able to do its job? I'm pretty much ready to order straight away.

And thanks everyone for all your input.

remove 1 from http to follow link

SlipslideDC - please see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92023038#post92023038

I've posted my reply in a new thread as this was getting confusing.

Here's the build...

As said earlier I can afford about e20 of upgrading. So any suggestions/recommendations are most welcome :D

Hoping to order tomorrow

I don't think the 4670 is worth over €30 more than the 4460 for the tiny bump in speed that will be totally unnoticeable.

That would leave you with €50 to spend. You could go for a better bigger monitor or 16gb of ram and/or a better higher capacity PSU if you intend on adding a high end graphics card to this in future.

The corsair 550W and 650W are out of stock. Any suggestions for replacements or should I stick with the 450W? How badly may it impact on future upgrades?

The cooler master N200 mATX mini tower is also out of stock so recommendations there as well?

Thanks

• Advertisement

build number 3. Upgraded to 16GB RAM, downgraded the i5. PSU still at 450W.

Any other recommendations? I was thinking the RAM can be upgraded anytime. Is there anything that can't be 'upgraded' that I should focus on now?

I'm happy with the monitor and hard drive, and dont know too much about the rest of the items.

Thanks once again for all your feedback and help.

Well the likes of an R9 290 can use 250w of power on it's own with the rest of the system using around 100w.

If you do intent on adding a high end graphics card later I'd probably go for something around 600w.

This seems to be great value for a gold rated modular PSU.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/500+-+600+Watts/141147/Corsair+CS+Series+Modular+CS550M+550W+ATX+2.3.article

If you want to spend a bit more on the case I can recommend the Aerocool DS cube. Comes in 9 colors and is a very solid case for the money.

So you could stick with 8gb of ram for now, and use the money on the PSU and Case upgrades.

here we go, and thanks for all the help.You think this is everything I should need given the budget?

Yep looks good to me.

Should i get the defective pixel test? its e20

I wouldn't bother.

OK. new computer ordered. hopefully it'll arrive early next week. thanks everyone for the help.

now i need to worry about getting windows 7 onto the thing as it comes with no os. how do i do this? will the following work for me:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Latest-Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-32-Or-64-Bit-Coa-Activation-Key-Only-/141379304044?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item20eadcfa6c

or do i need to buy a cd?

thanks

cookie24 wrote: »
    OK. new computer ordered. hopefully it'll arrive early next week. thanks everyone for the help.

now i need to worry about getting windows 7 onto the thing as it comes with no os. how do i do this? will the following work for me:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Latest-Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-32-Or-64-Bit-Coa-Activation-Key-Only-/141379304044?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item20eadcfa6c

or do i need to buy a cd?

thanks

I'd personally run with windows 8, the interface is a nightmare but it's a better OS for all manner of things and won't need to replaced as soon.

You can download it and stick it onto a USB key. 4GB or greater. There's plenty of guides online.

You will just need to buy an activation key online then.

• Advertisement

Can anyone guide me on a GPU choice, the build is for my soon to be 12 year old son so any game you can think of has to be able to play on this machine! I was told to spend in excess of €300 for a really good one, but this almost half my budget!
    Any thoughts please, as I am getting these parts ordered this week if it kills me......
    Thanks.

Advertisement