Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SlipslidesDC's Build

Options
  • 02-09-2014 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

Barring some massive omission or putting in two processors again I would go more in the direction outlined above.

In relation to your build I'd ask:
    Why AMD?
    Why Sabertooth - epeen board and you're not on a epeen budget
    Why that massively overpriced optical drive?

Criticisms of my build welcome!

PSU is a bit under powered I think. Go modular and get a case with good cable management, one the build is a year or so old, get yourself a better CPU cooler and overclock the CPU.

Thanks bepolites,
    I was going for the AMD setup as a money saver.....but seem to hit a brick wall when ever I mention AMD!!
    The intel i5 you mentioned would this out strip the FX 8350 all round?
    The Sabertooth I picked up on in a build on Toms Hardware and what is epeen!
    The optical drive had blueray!! Just trying not to buy bottom of the barrel stuff I suppose.

Thanks for your help on this, appreciate all your inputs as this will be my first build with my 11 year old son looking in so hoping all goes smoothly!!

AMD tends not to perform as well as intel, I'll do a bit more research but typically AMD have been lagging behind quite a bit in this generation. I love AMD but Intel is just too tempting these days.

The sabertooth is overpriced and aimed at the enthusiast market - epeen (e-penis) is a term used to describe a PC that is there for form and bragging as well as function. Things like 'thermal armour' and 4.5Ghz over clocks. It just means spending money where you don't have to.

Do you really need Bluray? I don't even have an optical drive in my PC anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

A decent site for comparing CPU's is http://cpuboss.com/compare-cpus if they aren't on Anandtech's bench http://www.anandtech.com/Bench/CPU/2

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SlipslideDC

Thanks Bepolite,
    I didn't see the extra pages until tonight....sorry for late response!
    So epeen is the equiv of a small balding lad with a small lad driving a Bentley Continental in the motor world terms!!
    Blue Ray can be gone, I was just trying to get all the above really.
    So this is it now.....time to bite the bullet......anymore last minute advice before I commit?
    I have spent hours lookin at towers....are they all the same or is there a preference out there?
    And finally do I need to include extra cooling for the processor (I'm going with the I5 4690K).
    Thanks again guys for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

The tower has to match the motherboard format, in order of decreasing size they are; ATX, mATX and ITX. I believe, but am open to correction, ITX uses a different power supply.

You can just use the stock cooler to start with. Check with some of the other builds on the best K-SKU (unlocked intel i5/7). I'm only just back doing builds after a long break.

More on towers: It is vital in any PC build you have decent cooling and ideal room to expand that as you get more comfortable and want to overclock. Many people say that they won't over clock. Believe it or not, by not overclocking you're already running the components hotter than they need to as most components will run under the spec'd voltage etc at stock speeds. Obviously no point in buying a K-SKU if you're not over clocking, but I digress.

A case needs to have cable management built in. This is greatly improve airflow and help with keeping the dust intake under control. Better quality cases will not only have better cable management but will also have better dust filters (such as they are). You don't have to go nuts but I'd spend more than €35 and less than €100. The rest is down to you and google ;) find one with a decent review, I'm afraid my case knowledge is firmly rooted in the epeen department.

In relation to your question on GPUs in the other thread there is absolutely no need to spend anywhere near €300 on a GPU. What res is the monitor you're using and what are you playing?

Sorry Bepolite for late reply,
    I am using a 26" LCD TV that's HD, so connecting via HDMI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

HD ready or full HD?

HD ready is 1280x720 aka 720p
    Full HD is 1920x1080 aka 1080p

HD ready @ 720p

BloodBath wrote: »
    HD ready or full HD?

HD ready is 1280x720 aka 720p
    Full HD is 1920x1080 aka 1080p

I always thought the HD ready TVs were 480p

Slipside can you fill out the questions from the sticky. It would be easier to just recommend a build for you if we know the info.

720p will make it much easier to run games but really you will want to use decent levels of Anti Aliasing to smooth things out so you will still a want but not need a decent graphics card.

I have decided to go with this build below:-

HV20Y459DE Intel Core i5-4590 in-a-Box 170,89 €
    HV1143IIDE Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 76,64 €
    HV20MI48DE 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 63,11 €
    HV203Z35DE Zalman Z11 Plus HF1 mit Sichtfenster, ohne Netzteil 52,04 €
    HVR701CBDE Cooler Master B700, 700 Watt 60,67 €
    HV1039MTDE MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G Gaming Evolved Client,3GB DDR5 204,35 €
    HV13SB72DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 71,00 €
    HV12Z741DE Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB (2,5", 7mm) 90,90 €
    HV207GB4DE LG GH24NS bare schwarz 12,68 €

Total value: 802,27 €

All prices are delivery prices

• Advertisement

Solid build but I'd swap out that PSU for the Corsair CS 550w or 650w.

Order is gone through....the Cooler Master 700W will have to do, is it that Corsair is more reliable or better branding?

Any ways, I have eventually bit the bullet, now I feel like I'm a kid again waiting for Christmas! and it's not even mine!! I might get a go.....now and then.

Thanks for all the help and patients guys, I will probaly be back looking for help building it ;-)

It's better quality and has a higher efficiency rating for a similar price.

I had a Corsair in originally, but went from a 650 to the 700 one above!
    Thanks for your help Bloodbath.

Advertisement