Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Probably loved in it's previous life in the UK then it was brought over by someone with too much Celtic tiger cash and treated like shît. I once seen a mk1 xj6 in rare manual with a fsh from new brought over and when the new owner found out it wasn't as driver friendly as his modern he left it parked in the open to rot away! A very sad end for a special car.

While I have no doubt those types exist in Ireland do you think they don't in the UK also?

A car of this vintage and marque could, say, have been bought by a retired country doctor and then gone through all kinds of owners since, including of the wide boy/boy racer/Arthur Daley type.

( I don't mean this specific car, I am just making a general point. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

porsche959 wrote: »
    While I have no doubt those types exist in Ireland do you think they don't in the UK also?

A car of this vintage and marque could, say, have been bought by a retired country doctor and then gone through all kinds of owners since, including of the wide boy/boy racer/Arthur Daley type.

( I don't mean this specific car, I am just making a general point. )

I think traditionally uk motorists tended to worry about maintenance and service history more than us and while I don't doubt that they have there fair share of drivers like that the fact remains that the vintage car scene here has had more than it's fair share of people who are attracted to cheap tax and more importantly in pre 80 cars no test. In the uk they had to be mot'd regardless so in my opinion ( and it is only my opinion ) it's more likely that if it has been neglected it has happened here.
    Sorry if this is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

porsche959 wrote: »

Ha! Quentin "How many miles do you want on it" Wilson, extolling the virtues of a low mileage car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,026 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That XJS is far too cheap unless it is a rotbox / has some serious problems. Keep us updated if anyone finds out more about it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

just an update on my luxobarge, waaay back in may 2013 i bought a luxobarge jag s-type for 1400e, well over a year has gone by and i'm still wafting around in leather cossetted, airconditioned luxury total repairs over the year is a full set of pads, 2 small bushes for the nct in feb last, one headlamp bulb and thats it! mpg is down from 33 to about 27mpg tax is still a bit of a pain to pay but so fecking what! i'm going to keep this one longer than the year planned, its taxed till xmas now and tested till feb so i'll make a decision then as to wether i walk away or keep her on.

serious3 wrote: »
    its taxed till xmas now and tested till feb so i'll make a decision then as to wether i walk away or keep her on.

Test it before the tax runs out (December). The test will cost you just €55. If it fails, see what it fails on and decide what your best option is. Dump it or fix it. If it passes, the test will be valid until Feb '16. So tax it & enjoy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

S-types are fantastic cars, I'll have another someday. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ba_barabus wrote: »
    The problem is they need constant care. A lot of these cars are now being bought by people who simply just want to avoid paying the tax and nct cost. They buy them and run them till they drop. I've seen some great cars ruined in the past few years by owners who think it's a great tax loophole.

Oh I totally agree, however it wouldn't put me off checking it top to bottom. Which I'd be doing from top to bottom on any car, but paying extra attention for rust and filler.

just an update on my luxobarge, waaay back in may 2013 i bought a luxobarge jag s-type for 1400e, well over a year has gone by and i'm still wafting around in leather cossetted, airconditioned luxury total repairs over the year is a full set of pads, 2 small bushes for the nct in feb last, one headlamp bulb and thats it! mpg is down from 33 to about 27mpg tax is still a bit of a pain to pay but so fecking what! i'm going to keep this one longer than the year planned, its taxed till xmas now and tested till feb so i'll make a decision then as to wether i walk away or keep her on.

well that jinxed it! it stopped today just cut out no warning at all, it'll start and run for maybe 1 second thats all, AA recovered it and we'll see what it is tmorrow...........last time i sing the praises of something:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

well that jinxed it! it stopped today just cut out no warning at all, it'll start and run for maybe 1 second thats all, AA recovered it and we'll see what it is tmorrow...........last time i sing the praises of something:D

Sounds like a fuel issue. A pump maybe.

phew! panic over!! turns out some wires had chafed thru on a rear driveshaft, garage rejoined them and bingo all is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Senior Bill

Does it have a Mercedes Service History?

I am posting the AA report as an update, Mercedes have refused any help, saying car only covered for 2 years.

We confirm inspecting the above vehicle on 9th July 2014 for the specific purpose of commenting on the condition of the engine.
    The vehicle is reported to have been serviced by a Main dealership. The most recent oil changes were in 9/2013 at 130k. km and in 4/4013 at 110k km.
    We understand from our client that an abnormal rattling noise in the engine had developed and was more apparent when starting the engine from cold and lasted for some seconds
    The vehicle was left with the above repairer for investigation and they renewed the water pump and drive belt and also the timing chain and tensioner.
    When the engine was restarted after this work, abnormal noises remained and the engine was further dismantled.
    It was found that the teeth of the crankshaft drive gear train were damaged.
    Due to the extent and nature of damage, a reconditioned unit was sought and required transfer of the ancillary equipment from the old to new engine.
    The rear engine gear train is a complex arrangement of gears and sprockets including the crankshaft gear, balancer shaft gears, idlers gears, timing chain drive gear.
    The idler gears are tensioned. The crankshaft end gear is integral and is not serviced as a separate part.
    There were a number of gears with chipped or damaged teeth, especially the crankshaft gear and to a lesser extent the timing chain drive gear and LH idler gear.
    The engine oil was clean consistent with having been changed when the timing chain was replaced.
    The water pump and drive belt showed evidence of having been renewed.
    The original timing chain and tensioner were not available for inspection as they had been discarded.
    Summary:
    Substantial damage has occurred to the gear teeth and we are of the opinion that there would be abnormal and excessive noise from the mechanism in operation.
    As the crankshaft gear is integral, seemingly a decision was taken on economic and practical reasons to fit a reconditioned engine rather than overhaul the existing damaged unit.
    The timing chain and tensioner are reported by the repairer to have been worn and this would have resulted in abnormal and excessive noise.
    Seemingly the noise level after replacement of the chain was considerable. The repairer reports that traces of damaged gear teeth were present in the engine sump when the oil was drained off.

Wear or damage to the teeth could be caused by a number of factors such as inadequate or poor quality oil lubrication, a foreign object getting enmeshed in the gear train, substandard material.
    Replacement of the chain may have placed a higher load than before on the gear train the noise level from the worn chain may have been masking that from the damaged/worn gear train.
    Further stripping down of the engine could reveal further damage or wear and a metallurgical examination of the damaged gears should indicate the nature of damage and wear and indicate if a defect in the material composition was present.
    We suggest that in the circumstances the matter be brought to the attention of the Dealer or Manufacturer for their comment.
    Mr X
    F.Inst AEA; MFIEA; MSOE, MIRTE; CAE, MIMI; ENG TECH AA Technical Engineer.

I am considering taking a claim to the small claims court, as to go the main courts is long and expensive, anyone any experience of small claims?

Also some of you will know that there is no longer a service book supplied with new Mercedes cars and the records are saved digitally on the key.
    A printed copy is available on request, but when I got mine there was one service missing from the report, lucky I had receipt for it, and when I questioned them, they agreed it was a mistake, and someone would be on to explain. that was weeks ago I am still waiting for an explanation and apology.
    Who can I complain to about that? anyone know? Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Bill, I would remove the name of the engineer that carried out the inspection.
    I think you should then get in touch with a solicitor about your next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Also some of you will know that there is no longer a service book supplied with new Mercedes cars and the records are saved digitally on the key.
    A printed copy is available on request, but when I got mine there was one service missing from the report, lucky I had receipt for it, and when I questioned them, they agreed it was a mistake, and someone would be on to explain. that was weeks ago I am still waiting for an explanation and apology.
    Who can I complain to about that? anyone know? Bill

This country is a joke , companies make promises to you then you are just forgotten about, best to keep calling them until they know you by the sound of your voice, it seems to be the only way to get anything done.

Also small claims court can only award a Maximum of €2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

2002 BMW 735i from a dealer for €2950, NCT until March 2015

319940.PNG

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-7-series-735-tax-09-14-new-nct/7562241

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm no fan of '65s but that's not too bad looking.

I don't think they're ever gonna have the same following as E38's though.

I'd love one of those, albeit a 730d :/

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd love one of those, albeit a 730d :/

Why? It would cost thousands more than a V8 petrol to buy and unless you are extremely lucky it will cost more to maintain. You only save about €300 in tax. Nothing in insurance. It's far less refined, but yes if you do big miles, you'll save significantly on fuel

So only 1 significant argument in favour. And even that is a non-argument because if you convert it to LPG, your V8 petrol will have a lower total cost of ownership than the diesel.

Damn you Unkel..... damn you to hell!!
    I've a 3k budget for my car in October but it has to be a diesel :/ I do feck loads of km per year.
    Does a claimed 26mpg that model. Even LPGing it would take a quite a while for me to break even.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    it has to be a diesel :/ I do feck loads of km per year.
    Does a claimed 26mpg that model. Even LPGing it would take a quite a while for me to break even.

You're making even less sense now

Let's assume you keep either car for 4 years after which they'll be worth nothing.

The purchase price of the diesel car was €2k higher, but the petrol car had to have a €2k LPG installation. So depreciation / cash flow in both cars is identical.

Driving a V8 petrol E65 averages say 22MPG (and on LPG say 20MPG). The I6 diesel say 32MPG

With diesel at €1.45 and LPG at €0.80 this means that 25,000 miles (per year) costs you €600 less in the LPG

We only have to cover the €300 extra tax for the petrol so break even would be after only 6 months :)

After break even the LPG V8 is €300 per year cheaper to own than the diesel. Or over 4 years total, you save the grand total of about a grand and get to drive the superior V8 petrol, and not a tractor :D

While I have my spreadsheet open:

- you need to do at least 12k miles per year to drive cheaper in the LPG V8 than in the diesel

- savings in fuel per year at 20k is €500, 30k is €700, 40k is €1,000

And let me be the first to state this. You can play with all those figures to manipulate the outcome you want. There are assumptions. But bottom line is there isn't much difference in total cost of ownership between a V8 petrol flagship converted to LPG (at your own expense and not cutting corners) and its imho inferior sibling with the smaller diesel engine...

...in this country

Very good point there Unkel.
    Not a whole lot you can argue with there, except maybe more expensive maintenance costs.

"Now you're making even less sense"

Shure that's uncalled for :p

Aye I had a different and much shorter post in mind but then I started putting all those figures in. My apologies about the making less sense business :p

But seriously if only LPG had been widely available at half the cost of petrol back when I was driving my V8 petrol BMWs :(

I'd honestly love to have a 3.6 V8 parked in my drive and travel in luxury.
    I came very close last year to buying a S320 petrol but chickened out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Maybe its just me, but if I'm paying top rate of tax, i want something with 4L or more. Theres one or two exceptions to that (e34 m5 for example), but when the rates the same, I want as big as it can get

4l or more is a bit arbitrary but I'd sure want a V8 over a V6 / I6 but I guess you're right I'd take a 745i over a 735i too - the former wouldn't cost a cent more to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

These 7s are dropping into parts car territory, sweet!

Why, do you need a donor car for parts? Is yours that bad? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

unkel wrote: »
    Why, do you need a donor car for parts? Is yours that bad? :p

he may mean a just incase type scenario, even a set of smashed windows on an e65 would probably cost that kind of money new

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement