Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

spix wrote: »
    Did they cut the sim or get a new one? Because it could be a problem with the sim itself.

They cut it but how could it be a problem with the Sim if it work perfectly in other phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

accap1f8 wrote: »
    They cut it but how could it be a problem with the Sim if it work perfectly in other phones?

I've heard of strange sim issues like this before that were resolved by getting a new sim. It doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work unless there's a problem with it as the phone supports Threes network bands.

I've heard of strange sim issues like this before that were resolved by getting a new sim. It doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work unless there's a problem with it as the phone supports Threes network bands.

Ya that's true. I'll have to go up to three tomorrow so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

seannash wrote: »

I was very tempted by it but due to the customs charges, decided on xiaomi from europe for the same money.

Did I tell everyone I got a Xiaomi Mi3 :D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Can anyone tell me is the mi4 available to purchase from anywhere yet?

Drag00n79 wrote: »

Only the 16gb version, and its way overpriced most places. Ibuygou would be the best option imo http://www.ibuygou.com/p-xiaomi_mi4_smart_phone_snapdragon_801_quad_core_2_5ghz_3gb_ram_16gb_rom_5_inch_screen_13_0mp_3080mah__wcmda_version_-6189.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Drag00n79 wrote: »

Fixxer's Mi4 was bouncing around the Far East but on route earlier today, I think s/he ordered it from xiaomishop.com (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91850411&postcount=6078).

Just remember that the version on sale at the moment doesn't have 4G enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Just got an email from aliexpress regarding the 166 euro 1+1 order, didn't even email them. Not bad service ;)

"Dear xxxxx"

AliExpress has checked the prices submitted by this seller for the 8.19 promotion and found mistakes in the prices. Hence order no. 63454015251xxx can not be processed. The system will process a full refund. We have punished the seller for this mistake and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

To reimburse you for your loss, we will send you a matching coupon with an extended time limit of 7 days.

AliExpress customer service team "

Punished the seller.....You just got him kneecapped lol

Punished the seller.....You just got him kneecapped lol

They deserve it lol. Now that the listing has updated it shows there was over 700 orders and aliexpress have to sort out all the refunds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

On holidays so haven't been keeping up to date...23 pages, mainly related to the Mi3 :D

Annnnnnd I want one now, feel my thl is on its last legs. What customs were people getting hit with? 16 or 64, I'm undecided as of yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

No you won't get playstore without it and they charge for shipping too.

Cheaper here, 100% comes with playstore and some free gifts

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/JIAYU-G4C-MTK6582-Quad-Core-WCDMA-Android-Smart-Mobile-Phone-4-7-Inch-HD-G4C-3000mAh/1087208413.html?s=p

What's the likelyhood of getting nabbed with customs on this, and if so how much would one expect to pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

On holidays so haven't been keeping up to date...23 pages, mainly related to the Mi3 :D

Annnnnnd I want one now, feel my thl is on its last legs. What customs were people getting hit with? 16 or 64, I'm undecided as of yet

Some of us ordered from EU warehouses so it wasnt bad.
    I got mine from xiaomishop.com for €235 + €36.36 dhl for a 16gb and got it in less than 48 hours from italy

What's the likelyhood of getting nabbed with customs on this, and if so how much would one expect to pay

It depends on alot of factors, obviously can't talk too much about this kind of thing.

If customs decide to pick your package it will be 23% of the declared value + 6 euro handling fee (if declared over 22 euro). There's also a slim chance they will ask for an invoice if the declared value doesn't seem right.

Just back from three store now. She put in a Sim and it was the same as mine. Recognizes it for about 30 seconds and then says "incompatible handset" and then no coverage.

She said this can happen with Chinese phones and that I should go to an unlocking shop to get it unlocked. Now I'm guessing that won't work because it is already meant to be unlocked.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Which phone is it ? Could you change from 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Just back from three store now. She put in a Sim and it was the same as mine. Recognizes it for about 30 seconds and then says "incompatible handset" and then no coverage.

She said this can happen with Chinese phones and that I should go to an unlocking shop to get it unlocked. Now I'm guessing that won't work because it is already meant to be unlocked.

Any ideas?

I am glad that i did not impulse buy the elephone as i would not have the patience.

At this moment it time it is the Mi3 for me or maybe the Oneplus one if i can hold on for an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is it dual sim? have you tried the second slot?

jodaw wrote: »
    I am glad that i did not impulse buy the elephone as i would not have the patience.

At this moment it time it is the Mi3 for me or maybe the Oneplus one if i can hold on for an invite.

Great advice. I'll try that.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Is it dual sim? have you tried the second slot?

Dual sim and have tried both. Have a tesco sim in now and its working perfect. Might switch to them on Monday. I think they have unlimited everything (15gb data) for €25 a month. How bad. Phone isn't a complete dud anyway

• Advertisement

Perhaps try a different ROM in the mean time?

Have you experience with flashing ROM's?
    Is it already on kitkat?

have a look here:

http://www.needrom.com/category/elephone/p8/

do a backup before you attempt to do any of this.
    Might be worth a shot.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Perhaps try a different ROM in the mean time?

Have you experience with flashing ROM's?
    Is it already on kitkat?

have a look here:

http://www.needrom.com/category/elephone/p8/

do a backup before you attempt to do any of this.
    Might be worth a shot.

Its already KitKat. Right I'll try this. Which one on that list would you use. Or are they all the same?

give them a read and see which is the least buggy.

I'd say away from the official ones, the custom ones usually sort out any problem the stock one's might have.

you can always revert back to your old setup, aslong as you backup before you do it.

Any ideas?

Could be something to do with Three being 3G only. In network settings there should be an option to choose between gsm only, wcdma only, gsm/wcdma. Check if wcdma only will work.

Could be something to do with Three being 3G only. In network settings there should be an option to choose between gsm only, wcdma only, gsm/wcdma. Check if wcdma only will work.

Thanks. Just tried it but no go. Really don't want to change from three as I get some high download speeds in the countryside. Might sell it I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Hmmm...this is a concern for me now accap1f8. Iv got a elepjonep8 winging it way to me, and i use 3 mobile . like you, i dont want to change service provider....feck

Thanks. Just tried it but no go. Really don't want to change from three as I get some high download speeds in the countryside. Might sell it I'd say

There's still hope :) Try enter these APN settings

http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWebBusiness,T=CaseDoc,varset_Catid=10155,Case=obj%289554%29

Also what happens when you search for networks, does 3 show up?

There's still hope :) Try enter these APN settings

http://ask3.three.ie/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?Command=New,Kb=ROIWebportal,Ts=ROIWebBusiness,T=CaseDoc,varset_Catid=10155,Case=obj%289554%29

Also what happens when you search for networks, does 3 show up?

Thanks again. Those settings were in there already. Ya 3 shows up when I search manually. Then I select it it says "can't connect to this network at the moment. Try again later"

I'd say it just won't work. Must just be a problem with the phone itself.

Also this is strange. When you go to Sim management it will show my phone number in my thl. In the elephone it shows a different number and won't let me change it.

• Advertisement

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Hmmm...this is a concern for me now accap1f8. Iv got a elepjonep8 winging it way to me, and i use 3 mobile . like you, i dont want to change service provider....feck

Ya bit of a problem alright. Hopefully its just my phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement