Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Citroen..never again..money pit and for catching me once they dont deserve my money...

People can argue all they like about a certain brand having 1 or 2 good models..but in this day and age with the technology that is out there to produce cars with shoddy engines..electrics and other crap happening to them is not acceptable..

I think this is the reason people will never buy a certain brand. Pal of mine had a fiat punto brand new..nothing but hassle..he wont ever buy a fiat again..because fiat f'd up..not the punto...so he determines that they could bring out the most stylish, reliable car on planet earth..he wouldnt buy it. Simply because he felt let down by that brand.. same if we walked in to a restaurant and customer service was bad..out the door and off to a place where its good.

It would take a long time before you would want to ever darken that door again.

3rd Honda..happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

imokyrok wrote: »
    Anyone here have any idea which make / models are more likely to pass the NCT as they age? I've no interest in wasting money buying new. I prefer to buy old and cheap and have no car loan.

Any car thats been well minded by its previous owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anything French
    It's this kind of knee-jerk stuff that grinds my gears. You'd never fancy a Veyron, no? Or a Venturi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Anyone here have any idea which make / models are more likely to pass the NCT as they age? I've no interest in wasting money buying new. I prefer to buy old and cheap and have no car loan.

Nobody can answer that question. Cars of all makes and models will always fail at some stage, whether its a 5 year old Merc or a 15 year old Fiesta.
    If you want something reliable and cheap, buy a 90s Starlet. Change the oil every year or so and it will keep going. But you need to remember that all cars need money spent on them on wear and tear items from time to time. 90s Japanese cars, in most cases, just don't need it as often.

/end of OT

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Renault
    Peugeot
    Volkswagen
    Seat
    Citroen - I had a VTS saxo a few years ago, great car but the single only French car I ever liked.

• Advertisement

Any car thats been well minded by its previous owner

I dont buy that at all. Some cars are unreliable heaps o ****e..you could rephrase that in relation to some cars to..any car thats had a lot of money spent on it will pass the nct...but some reliable cars may only ever need wear and tear items..whereas unreliable cars will need money spent on crap things like constant electric problems..airbag light on again..sensors faulty..crap suspension components..hg issues..timing chains stretching..timing belt issues..water pump failures..etc etc etc

Its got feck all to do with caring for your vehicle and more to do with you bought a crap car now go and sink money in to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

Cars are the one thing people have a massive confirmation bias with.

BMW sell cars that can be extremely expensive to maintain and have some engines that are a financial time-bomb. Audi sell a gearbox that is disastrous and costs 1000s to fix. MB sell cars that are often extremely unreliable and prone to rust. Yet all 3 manufacturers can walk away from these issues and still people come back and buy their product again.

The one thing that matters above all else when buying a car is the person that is driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

I wouldn't rule out any marque. Love Audi, Peugeot and Citroen. As long as its comfy, leather, cruise and other toys I'd drive pretty much anything. I have an 04 A6 and a 97 A4 quattro and have me eye on an 04 A8, all daysul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not a rover 75!
    Seriously, if I wanted to buy something old, cheap and nice, especially after owning my one, I'd pick a few car models I'm interested in, join a forum for that car, join the irish owners facebook page and when one comes up for sale you can see if it's well looked after and all the common faults sorted or preempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

padma wrote: »
    I dont buy that at all. Some cars are unreliable heaps o ****e..you could rephrase that in relation to some cars to..any car thats had a lot of money spent on it will pass the nct...but some reliable cars may only ever need wear and tear items..whereas unreliable cars will need money spent on crap things like constant electric problems..airbag light on again..sensors faulty..crap suspension components..hg issues..timing chains stretching..timing belt issues..water pump failures..etc etc etc

Its got feck all to do with caring for your vehicle and more to do with you bought a crap car now go and sink money in to it..

I'm sorry, no disrespect to you, but you are talking utter, utter ****e. You sound like the guy down the pub who says Fiat and Alfa are unreliable because you know a guy who knows a guy who had one and you never had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

padma wrote: »
    Citroen..never again..money pit and for catching me once they dont deserve my money...

People can argue all they like about a certain brand having 1 or 2 good models..but in this day and age with the technology that is out there to produce cars with shoddy engines..electrics and other crap happening to them is not acceptable..

I think this is the reason people will never buy a certain brand. Pal of mine had a fiat punto brand new..nothing but hassle..he wont ever buy a fiat again..because fiat f'd up..not the punto...so he determines that they could bring out the most stylish, reliable car on planet earth..he wouldnt buy it. Simply because he felt let down by that brand.. same if we walked in to a restaurant and customer service was bad..out the door and off to a place where its good.

It would take a long time before you would want to ever darken that door again.

3rd Honda..happy customer.

Given enough time, there will soon be no car left you can buy and no restaurant you can go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Patww79 wrote: »
    Leather is the one thing that would make me walk away from a car. But each to their own I suppose, I couldn't even have a leather sofa.
    Very hard to find decent other spec without it though.

Weird isnt it. Cloth just doesn't do it for me. Heated leather is great.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Kia or Hyundai. Skoda. All for cheapskates/tightwads. Most cooking Nissans or Toyotas. Renault and nearly all Peugeots. Most Citroens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

My better half has a 00 Toyota yaris since 2001, with 120,000 miles on it now, all I have ever done to it is basic service stuff like oil changes and plugs, tyres. It just passed it's now annual NCT, In the last 14 years it has passed every time with not so much as a fail advisory, I've been trying to get her to change to a newer car but won't as this one has never cost a ounce of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Might seem like a strange suggestion given the thread we are in but ive seen numerous rover 75 walk through the nct year after year.
    Given that they are cheap to buy, you would end up with an 05 model car with a bit of luxury for the price of a 99 micra.

Kaiser D wrote: »
    I'm sorry, no disrespect to you, but you are talking utter, utter ****e. You sound like the guy down the pub who says Fiat and Alfa are unreliable because you know a guy who knows a guy who had one and you never had.

And your beginning to sound exactly like all the other people who say the same ****e its not the car but the owner.. there is a reliability index for a reason and the reason is some cars are reliable and others are not...end of story.

If you want to continue deluding yourself that every car is a top notch piece of reliability go on ahead.

Kaiser D wrote: »

And your beginning to sound exactly like all the other people who say the same ****e its not the car but the owner.. there is a reliability index for a reason and the reason is some cars are reliable and others are not...end of story.

If you want to continue deluding yourself that every car is a top notch piece of reliability go on ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

There are only a few makes that i would consider ,Honda,the bigger volvos with their own engines and possibility an Alfa 159 because they are a tasty looker.
    The rest are just not worth it anymore.Their fuel consumption figures while good does not pay a punter for fixing expensive problems.Its a bit of a mine field what you choose anyway.
    I say bring back standard diesels with no turbos and other crap they put on them nowadays and whatever happened to the excitement of a nice twincam 16v petrol engine.AAA them were the days.
    Simple engines and no bullsh:th.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have you any recollection of what diesels were like before turbos? I cant believe anyone would wish to go back to that.
    I do agree that there is too much crap involved now but a basic turbo setup should be super reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I always swore I'd never buy a Ford.

Picked up a Focus ST last month. Christ I won't buy anything else ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Wow, these threads always bring out the barstool experts/b*ll****ters that like nothing more than running down stuff out of spite, with nothing better to do than ram ill informed opinions down everyone elses throat, then get thick when others stand up to them.

At least have the balls to say you wouldn't buy something because you don't like it....

As for me, I wouldn't write an entire manufacturer off completely. Every manufacturer makes stuff that doesn't appeal to me, some more so than others

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

mickdw wrote: »
    Have you any recollection of what diesels were like before turbos? I cant believe anyone would wish to go back to that.
    I do agree that there is too much crap involved now but a basic turbo setup should be super reliable.
    Yes i will take that back ,what i should have said was back to when we had turbo diesels that didnt blow their turbo every 12 months.
    I cant remember old turbo diesels being so unreliable.
    A merc w124 300multivalve diesel is a nice place to be and has enough power to waft along.
    My first diesel was a 1.6jetta 1990 ,it only had 55bhp but still got places without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I find it hard to discount a brand. It's too general. I buy based on my use, so if I was to discount a brand it would be because it doesn't meet any of my requirements in terms of models.

I think if you look at the model history of must brands you'll find something noteworthy. Manufacturers, for the most part, these days make what will sell. They are a business. The marketplace dictates most of what you see on the road. The badge a car wears has never had so little to do with a brand as it does now either meaning many brands have lost any individuality that they once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At this point, anything that's not a big comfortable German saloon (not including BMW which I think are vastly overrated for what they are)

Next car will probably be an A8 3L Quattro to replace my current equivalent A6.

Also anything that doesn't have a decent automatic DSG-style gearbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

There's almost no one "Manufacturers" cars that I would point blank write-off, I'd go by models not entire ranges. 5 series upwards, I like BMWs, I like E class mercs, I think the 406 was a good car and comfortable, The Citroen Picasso eats miles and does its job well, Toyotas MR2 and Celica are great cars, their Avensis is a good lugger and the Landcruiser and Hilux are fine 4*4s. Honda has its S2000, fast civics and dependable Accords. Rovers 2.0 diesel was one of the great engines, simple and reliable. Mitsubishi has its Evo and GSR tarmac munchers, The Mondeo is a nice place to sit day to day, and so on and so forth. I'm fcuking struggling with Renault though, lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

After reading most of this thread I honestly thought I was over in the After Hours forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

I always swore I'd never buy a Ford.

Picked up a Focus ST last month. Christ I won't buy anything else ever again!

Well if it's a 2006-2010 ST, the engine/gearbox in that isn't a Ford one but from a Swedish brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

bmw
    vw
    ford
    renault

i dont think anyone mentioned merc...so seems thats the one to go for lol

Advertisement