Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there any main brand of car you simply won't buy?

Options
  • 16-08-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,179 ✭✭✭✭

I'm talking main brands here.

I have always had an anti-French thing. Never owned one myself, but some siblings and friends have and seen too many issues, some of them fairly major, to put me of buying one. Renault usually the main culprit.

Another would be Vauxhall or Opel. Again know a few people who are always bitching about problems with theirs. Zafiras and Astra's main offenders.

OK so you're only talking a handful of cases, but these can sometimes make your mind up on an entire brand.

Is there any brand you wouldn't dare touch with your own money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Kia
    Jeep
    Fiat
    Alfa
    Toyota
    Bmw
    Lexus
    Daihatsu
    Daewoo
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    Renault
    Dacia
    Peugeot
    Citreon
    Seat
    Chrysler
    opel/vauxhall

But that's just me... dont like the above because it either has no real style or have shoite build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I hate Peugeot's with a passion. There are other car makes I dislike, but couldn't say I would never not buy a car made by that brand. However, I know for sure I would never buy a Peugeot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

i'd drive anything once it ticks the right boxes. it would be pretty narrow minded to exclude a whole brand of car on what is most likely hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,179 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kia
    Jeep
    Fiat
    Alfa
    Toyota
    Bmw
    Lexus
    Daihatsu
    Daewoo
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    Renault
    Dacia
    Peugeot
    Citreon
    Seat
    Chrysler
    opel/vauxhall

But that's just me... dont like the above because it either has no real style or have shoite build quality.
    Thats some list. What do you actually drive?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

a focus diesel......

not saying its a good car but just the newer fords im starting to like... as with mustang etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

PLL wrote: »
    I hate Peugeot's with a passion. There are other car makes I dislike, but couldn't say I would never not buy a car made by that brand. However, I know for sure I would never buy a Peugeot.

Seems to be an unusually high number of 'aul wans' driving these for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

PLL wrote: »

Seems to be an unusually high number of 'aul wans' driving these for some reason.

Personally, I'd never drive a Pontiac Aztek, not that you see many Pontiacs in Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,179 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Drive one myself. Find it a nice car and would put me in the mood for another Ford if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

French cars mostly.
    More irrationally, and I don't think they're bad cars, I just don't like fords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Peugeot.

The wife had a new 206 when I met her. Used to drink oil, went through multiple belts, sh1te electrics and sometimes the boot declined to open. Uncomfortable driving position, bouncy suspension, awful handling, lack of power, thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Anything thats not Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

BMW. Loathsome cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

French cars in my mind have poor reliability, but having said that there are a few Peugeots in the family and they are grand enough cars except for the handling and clutch feel. Like everything the interior is only as good as the original spec of the car.

Dislike Renaults though and if you look at the depreciation on them it is madness. I always note that when I see a car with electric problems, like indicator causing brake light to dim etc it is generally a Renault.

I would also never buy a Skoda just because I still consider them to be an economy brand like Lada even though they are good enough cars nowadays. The interiors in any of the octavias I've been in have been poor though.

I also really dislike SEATs, girlfriend had a Leon and it gave no end of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Audi.

Unless it was from the eighties when they were cool, hadn't tractor engines and weren't an overpriced status symbol for sheep!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Kia
    Jeep
    Fiat
    Alfa
    Toyota
    Bmw
    Lexus
    Daihatsu
    Daewoo
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    Renault
    Dacia
    Peugeot
    Citreon
    Seat
    Chrysler
    opel/vauxhall

Have to say I find it very odd to exclude all these marques given that they have made some very fine cars

I'm thinking Fiat Coupe, loads of Alfas but especially the 159 which IMHO is the prettiest saloon of recent times, the iconic Toyota Landcruiser, any amount of BMWs but especially the e39, Nissan's Pathfinder or Patrol, Mitsubishi's Pajero or Evo, the sublime Peugeot 205 GTI or even the Citreon XM.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kia
    Jeep
    Fiat
    Alfa
    Toyota
    Bmw
    Lexus
    Daihatsu
    Daewoo
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    Renault
    Dacia
    Peugeot
    Citreon
    Seat
    Chrysler
    opel/vauxhall

So you'd drive a Ford Focus but wouldn't drive a Lexus is250 because a Focus has either style or build quality or style but the Lexus is250 has neither.

No offence mate, but you're talking through your hole.

My own list would be:
    Renault
    Fiat
    Alfa Romeo
    Rover

veetwin wrote: »
    Have to say I find it very odd to exclude all these marques given that they have made some very fine cars

I'm thinking Fiat Coupe, loads of Alfas but especially the 159 which IMHO is the prettiest saloon of recent times, the iconic Toyota Landcruiser, any amount of BMWs but especially the e39, Nissan's Pathfinder or Patrol, Mitsubishi's Pajero or Evo, the sublime Peugeot 205 GTI or even the Citreon XM.

fiat and alfa for the build quality but i do like the alfa looks, no problem with that.

landcruiser, good oul reliable jeep, just not much to look at i think even on the inside.

bmw, build quality, dont mind the looks, except when people badly modify them.

nissan pathfinder good looks on the outside only, but handles and rolls worse than a boat, patrol is not much to look at.

mitz pajero and evo, good to look at from outside and reliable but i dont like their interiors,

peugeot and citreon not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Ssangyong. Last time I had to get a taxi that was a Ssangyong I got into a heated argument with the driver about how his car was the worst-looking car on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Renault, Peugeot, dacia, fiat, anything British, anything American except telsa, Mitsubishi, Ford and lada. all muck

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you'd drive a Ford Focus but wouldn't drive a Lexus is250 because a Focus has either style or build quality or style but the Lexus is250 has neither.

No offence mate, but you're talking through your hole.

My own list would be:
    Renault
    Fiat
    Alfa Romeo
    Rover

i forgot about rover and ssanyoung !

and lexus and made well , and nice to look at from the outside (the new ones are anyway) but i drove a few and i just dont like their interior, they all remind me of old toyotas.

what happened to having an opinion without it being shot down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

fiat and alfa for the build quality but i do like the alfa looks, no problem with that.

landcruiser, good oul reliable jeep, just not much to look at i think even on the inside.

bmw, build quality, dont mind the looks, except when people badly modify them.

nissan pathfinder good looks on the outside only, but handles and rolls worse than a boat, patrol is not much to look at.

mitz pajero and evo, good to look at from outside and reliable but i dont like their interiors,

peugeot and citreon not a hope

tl;dr

don't like the japs because they are ugly, don't like the europeans because they are unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Apologies, I probably came across a bit abrupt, it was not my intention.

I do think though you need to sit inside a Lexus again though. It's a nice play to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What happened? You posted on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Volkswagen - the marque established by
    Adolf Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

whatever about the Pajero, I don't think the interior of an Evo is the important bit in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Dacia
    Hyundai
    Kia
    Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Kia
    Jeep
    Fiat
    Alfa
    Toyota
    Bmw
    Lexus
    Daihatsu
    Daewoo
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    Renault
    Dacia
    Peugeot
    Citreon
    Seat
    Chrysler
    opel/vauxhall

NIMAN wrote: »
    a focus diesel......

Had to laugh at that!

I wouldn't be a fan of french cars, but I'd never write anything off, depends on what came up for the right money when I'm looking for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

After owning a focus diesel from new (19 long, long months now), I'll be staying clear of Ford for the next one..

Driving by any bmw, always think to myself how much I hate the look of any of them.

Same goes for mercs.

Also, hate the way French cars handled years ago, so that has stuck with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Toyota find them dull cars just never liked them. French cars I guess too and Dacia or ssanyoung.

Advertisement