Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Both of these women said that at the start it was like either acid being poured on their nipples or someone sucking broken glass through them but that once that passed they were so glad that they stuck with it.
    D

Penny I know pain is a very subjective experience and all but those descriptions are mad! Now perhaps that really is
    What those women thought at the time but id really say it would be the exception and not the rule. I was lucky, I never had sore or tender nipples but I know some women found it very painful! Not like acid or glass tho!! Most of the time if that's the sort of pain someone is experiencing their baby is probably not latched on right etc. If your baby is feeding properly and latched correctly it really shouldn't be painful. But sometimes the baby has other ideas about their latch etc... And that's no ones fault! If breastfeeding was meant to be painful I don't think anyone would do it... I sure wouldn't! Lol.

What I found painful was blocked ducts and mastitis! Ouch! Ended up in hospital for a couple days on antibiotics. But don't let anyone scare you out of breastfeeding with stories of how painful or how hard it is. I was always the "sure we'll see how it goes" type. And it's just happened to work out well. Bar the odd bad day when I feel like crying (like today!). And if it doesn't work out definitely don't be beating yourself up about it! I hate hearing about women who feel guilty about not
    Continuing to bf... Baby will be getting so much love and attention and that should be the priority! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I guess what I have to my advantage is my son is of an age now where he doesn't always need me to entertain him, he will play by himself for awhile with his cars or colours. I'm hoping that doesn't change when he sees mammy with a new baby. I'm also trying to not do so much for him now & give him some independance though I'm told they can regress a little when a new sibling arrives.
    I just keep telling myself that people do this all the time & manage ( & sometimes with more than just 2 kids) so so will I (I hope!!!):D

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I guess what I have to my advantage is my son is of an age now where he doesn't always need me to entertain him, he will play by himself for awhile with his cars or colours. I'm hoping that doesn't change when he sees mammy with a new baby. I'm also trying to not do so much for him now & give him some independance though I'm told they can regress a little when a new sibling arrives.
    I just keep telling myself that people do this all the time & manage ( & sometimes with more than just 2 kids) so so will I (I hope!!!):D

Yea I've heard at around 3yo they can get a bit jealous or regress. Hopefully he will be ok tho.

I wish I could give my fella colour and stuff to keep him occupied. He just eats the crayons! Lol. I was so scared at the thought of being left on my own with the 2 babies... Like really really scared! Thought I wouldn't cope! But then when the time came you just do. Set a pretty strict routine for myself so we'd be out a lot of the time and ran everything like clockwork. I think that's how I manage. If something happens or interrupts that routine tho... I find I get quite stressed which isn't great. Think that's what happened today!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Not pregnant yet but hubby and I are hoping to start trying in the near future so I pop on here from time to time to lurk and see what the future will hopefully hold for us :)

So just a broody lurker for now but in the meantime I came across this lovely article talking about the positives of childbirth and I thought I would share it here: http://www.independent.ie/life/family/mothers-babies/10-positives-no-one-tells-you-about-childbirth-30477675.html

That's brilliant, thanks. Especially like the last bit about the 5" ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

If I hadn't breastfed my first there's noway I would have fed my second the pain was just so so so bad. Everytime I latched her on my toes would curl and I would stiffen and grit my teeth: that's not not not normal! If it hurts that much there is something wrong: in our case a tongue tie! If you want to breastfeed I would highly reccomend like everyone else knowing where to go for support if you need it.

And honestly there is nothing better than it when it works if it's something you want to do: and if it's not there is nothing wrong with not wanting to do it! Happy mum happy baby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Was chatting with a few VBAC mums on Facebook, looks like a few were accepted into the midwife led care despite the previous section. Can't tell you what a relief that was to hear, I really would like to avoid consultant led care if I can.
    I'll really be pushing for the midwife led care at my booking appointment as I had a problem free last pregnancy & only ended up with a section due to a failed induction, fingers & toes crossed they accept me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Good luck Ms.2011 :) Just have all your facts ready. Sure whats the point in consultant led care when there won't even be a consultant present at the birth unless there is a problem? If at any point during the pregnancy something arises then you'll be sent back to the consultants anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I got my period on Wednesday evening and it stopped dead earlier this morning. It wasn't very light, but much later than usual. Could I be pregnant? I've heard of people having a period their first month so I'm thinking I could be. My partner is away so I have no one to talk to.

Oh I've hard rock boobs that are sore and pain my lower back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Anything's possible, the only way to know is to take a test...

I have two here but I can't pee.

• Advertisement

Wait til first thing in the morning, it's more likely to show up then!

2 free tickets to the Pregnancy & Baby Fair in the RDS on 31st August if you register on the Mummypages SMA site

http://www.mummypages.ie/sma

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My last doctors appointment was last wednesday, I saw a different doc to my usual and I'm not sure she did what was supposed to be done. My last appointment was about a month ago and I had the anatomy scan in the meantime.

She took my blood pressure, asked if I was feeling movement and tested a urine sample - which has high proteins in it and has been sent off to be tested. That was it. I was about five minutes in with her. Everybody I've spoken to has told me that this isn't normal, apparently she should have looked at my bump, maybe measured it, listened to the heart beat and that the normal length of time for an antenatal check is 20 mins or more. This is what happened at my last appointment, with my normal doctor, but I didn't realise it is what was supposed to be done each time.

Can anybody confirm whether I should have been more thoroughly checked? I'm a bit worried now to be honest as I had been told by my GP previously that these appointments are very important. I have a midwives appointment on the 27th, am I ok to wait until then? I'm also wondering if I should let my GP know, as the doctor who did the check up is working under him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

At most of my doctor appointments, she tested a urine sample, checked my blood pressure, asked about movements. She would also have a good feel of my tummy and tell me what position the baby was in, and measure the height of the uterus to see if it was in line with my dates. And she'd listen for the heartbeat.

I don't think I'd have been in there for 20 minutes - maybe 10-15 minutes.

Might be no harm giving your usual doctor a ring - he might bring you back for a more thorough check ... better to get the reassurance, rather than waiting and worrying about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Whispered wrote: »
    My last doctors appointment was last wednesday, I saw a different doc to my usual and I'm not sure she did what was supposed to be done. My last appointment was about a month ago and I had the anatomy scan in the meantime.

She took my blood pressure, asked if I was feeling movement and tested a urine sample - which has high proteins in it and has been sent off to be tested. That was it. I was about five minutes in with her. Everybody I've spoken to has told me that this isn't normal, apparently she should have looked at my bump, maybe measured it, listened to the heart beat and that the normal length of time for an antenatal check is 20 mins or more. This is what happened at my last appointment, with my normal doctor, but I didn't realise it is what was supposed to be done each time.

Can anybody confirm whether I should have been more thoroughly checked? I'm a bit worried now to be honest as I had been told by my GP previously that these appointments are very important. I have a midwives appointment on the 27th, am I ok to wait until then? I'm also wondering if I should let my GP know, as the doctor who did the check up is working under him.

It sounds pretty normal depending how far gone you are they will not listen to babys heart .

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It sounds pretty normal depending how far gone you are they will not listen to babys heart .

Wouldn't they at least feel/measure the uterus, though? They did at even my earliest appointments.

Wouldn't they at least feel/measure the uterus, though? They did at even my earliest appointments.

I've never had it done, 22 weeks now. Must depend on the hospital

Dolbert wrote: »
    I've never had it done, 22 weeks now. Must depend on the hospital

Oh I was doing combined care. I was only talking about the GP appointments with that, where they'd measure the uterus.

I had every second appointment in Holles St, and always got a scan at each hospital appointment, it does depend on the hospital and the consultant though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm 23 weeks, I've had my booking appointment with dating scan, a GP appointment, a consultant appointment, anatomy scan and last weeks GP appointment. I am to see my midwife later this month.

Wish I got more scans! They're very exciting. (can't afford a private one, although I'd love to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Anyone any ideas where to get a good pregnancy massage in Dublin?

greenman09 wrote: »

I got a gorgeous one on my due date in the Samedhi Centre in rathgar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

can anyone recommend a radiator/heater to use for when baby comes along
    5 weeks now till kick off
    my house is gas central heating but i was thinking of getting something to heat the room as we rarely use the heating

can anyone recommend a radiator/heater to use for when baby comes along
    5 weeks now till kick off
    my house is gas central heating but i was thinking of getting something to heat the room as we rarely use the heating

We got this last winter for the exact same reason. Didn't want to heat the whole top of the house just to keep his room warm. Found this good as it has a timer and also a thermostat so you can keep the room to whatever temperature you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We got this last winter for the exact same reason. Didn't want to heat the whole top of the house just to keep his room warm. Found this good as it has a timer and also a thermostat so you can keep the room to whatever temperature you need.

Any link ?

O sorry here it is. I thought it was expensive...but well worth the money. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4153692/Trail/searchtext%3ERADIATOR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    O sorry here it is. I thought it was expensive...but well worth the money. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4153692/Trail/searchtext%3ERADIATOR.htm

Sligo1 how are they on running costs? In our old house our neighbour who is elderly used to have a heater in each room. She said those ones are expensive to run? She had these halogen ones that according to her cost 50c to run?? Obviously the price of electricity has changed since then and I have no idea how long she had them on for! She got hers in power city and they were great for the heat!

I would just turn the radiators off i don't want to hear and turn on my central heating. Our baby's room has been crazy warm even tonight! Some nights it was 24 degrees!! Tonight is 20 degrees I think.

My parents are getting this amazing thing in where their heating is turned on in zones so you don't need to turn on and off radiators!

Millem wrote: »

My parents are getting this amazing thing in where their heating is turned on in zones so you don't need to turn on and off radiators!

That sounds amazing!! I'm not sure about the cost of running ours tbh... Would have to ask my OH. The main reason we got it was because it seemed reasonably safe to be used in his room over the winter. I'd be too anxious to use an electric heater or convection heater etc in his room unless we were watching it constantly. We set this one to 21 or 22 over the winter and it switches off whenever the room exceeds that temperature. Will ask OH tonight what the cost of running it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Millem wrote: »

I don't know if it's still the case but there used to be local council grants available to have this installed as an incentive towards energy efficiency, my mum got 50% of her conversion costs covered by Wexford Coco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

greenman09 wrote: »

Pure Health in Ongar do fabulous ones. I've also had a floatation tank session followed by a holistic pregnancy massage st Harvest Moon on Baggot Street which was a thoroughly lovely way to spend an afternoon. It was a birthday present from my husband and it was so lovey.

Advertisement