Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

No idea. Logged into the Fight Club this morning and it said "Pre-sale for Elite & Ultimate members: Wednesday August 6th".

Says the same when you click on the event link. They also said on Twitter "Tickets on sale August 8th"

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭johnpro

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Bloddy UFC 178 tickets have been pushed back to next week. Grrr... I won't be able to relax until I get my hands on tickets! I thought I was grabbing them in the pre-sale today.

I was trying to register to the newsletter to get my hands on 4 tomorrow but it wouldn't let me and I started panicking! Do you think there will be any left on sale for the newsletter code or will we just split the price of a fightclub pass between the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Richy06 wrote: »
    People like Hatton got outright fat during their downtime. They lack the discipline to be one of the best in the world, IMO. They make excellent, exciting fighters - no question. But they put a glass ceiling on their potential by basically being flagrantly stupid in their choices.

That's just crazy talk and actually showing your argument up to be weak, Ricky was in the elite in world Boxing and only lost to 2 of the all time greats, He was always in shape on fight night and never had issues with fitness in the Ring.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

On fight night he was. But he got out of shape in between and had to waste a lot of time loosing the weight rather than improving technically when it came time to train. IMO he didn't make the most out of his career from a sucess and longevity standpoint as a result. I don't see how my argument is shown up to be weak because of what I've said. It was common knowledge. He often turned up 40lbs overweight. If you honestly believe that's good practise for someone who's body is their career, then you're an idiot. Now, notice I'm not calling you an idiot, but if you believe the aforementioned, I don't see how anyone could argue the other way.

Hatton like to clinch up and box on the inside. He never was the most technical in taking the least amount of damage whilst inflicting the most you can, he just got inside and beat guys up to the body. Not to get bogged down with Hatton too much, but he illustrates my point fairly well, I think.

Sure, guys can get into shape but letting yourself go? Stupid, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Richy06 wrote: »
    He often turned up 40lbs overweight. If you honestly believe that's good practise for someone who's body is their career, then you're an idiot.

Not to get bogged down with Hatton too much, but he illustrates my point fairly well, I think.
    In general, sure it's terrible idea. But that's why almost nobody does it.
    Fighters (Boxing or MMA) staying in good condition all the time is hardly a rare concept.

But Ricky Hatton is a bad example to use. It doesn't hold up. It's an extreme case. I've no idea why he did it. Maybe it was to blow off steam but i've no doubt that had monk like focus when it came time to train. Maybe he shouldn't have done it, but he was always at full fitness in the ring. Had he regular gassed in the final 3 rounds, he'd be a different story.
    Your point about wasting time losing weight doesn't hold up either. He didn't sit on the sideline as he lost the weight. He was in the gym boxing. Hours and hours of boxing. At this point, his fat stores were basically energy reserves, he still ate a lot during his camp, his work rate was just sky high. His extra mass would have also benefited his strength training. I don't see how his scrappy, inside, fighting style is related to his weight issues.

Earlier he was used as an example of bad genetics, that's even more ridiculous. The fact that he was able to lose the weight every time probably mean he was genetically predisposed to doing so.
    Notice I'm saying he is a bad example, and not that he disproves your point (which I agree with, in general). As I said, he's an extreme case. So much so that he literally means nothing to everyone one else. Basically, people need to stop using Ricky Hatton as an example of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

cowzerp wrote: »
    That's just crazy talk and actually showing your argument up to be weak, Ricky was in the elite in world Boxing and only lost to 2 of the all time greats, He was always in shape on fight night and never had issues with fitness in the Ring.

But if Hatton had of kept himself in tip top shape when he was outside his training camps then surely he would have been a better/stronger fighter, may not even have lost those 2

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

He could also have been using drugs to help him lose the weight. The amount of money that's involved in boxing means the top fighters would have access to the best doctors and chemists and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

scudzilla wrote: »
    But if Hatton had of kept himself in tip top shape when he was outside his training camps then surely he would have been a better/stronger fighter, may not even have lost those 2

This is the same Hatton that got outboxed by Eamonn Magee,absolutely got smashed for 12 rounds by Luis Collazo,and somehow got what probably looked like the worst decision i ever seen,so that they could set up the big fight with Mayweather,don't mind Ricky myself,but he was never beating Pacquaio or Mayweather to even suggest he was anywhere near their level is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

amkin25 wrote: »
    This is the same Hatton that got outboxed by Eamonn Magee,absolutely got smashed for 12 rounds by Luis Collazo,and somehow got what probably looked like the worst decision i ever seen,so that they could set up the big fight with Mayweather,don't mind Ricky myself,but he was never beating Pacquaio or Mayweather to even suggest he was anywhere near their level is crazy.

He probably lost V Collazo but he didn't get smashed for 12 rounds. That was his first fight at WW.

Size and strength was a big factor is Ricky's game, at WW he was never as good.

I would agree on Pac and PBF, however a ref that would allow an all out brawl at 140 is a different fight, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Have I stumbled into the boxing forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah, back on topic lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91586911#post91586911

Thought I'd start the event thread early. Since it's a monster card and a certain Irishman is involved, along with the Jones-Cormier tension it's a safe bet that it will be a newsworthy 2 months until Fight Night.

Live Q&A with Jones, Cormier, Conor and Poirier starting any second now

"My thoughts on Denis Siver? He's a midget German steroid head" - Conor at Q&A :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Interesting so far - Conor going out of his way to insult Poirier.

The fan questions are much better, some funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

BJPenn.com posted an article today saying, inadvertantly, that McGregor - Poirier is the co-main. Incredible if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Discussing Conor Mcgregor's time in the UFC with another MMA fan last night in work.

We both agreed that regardless of the outcome of his upcoming fight at UFC 178, and even if he should spend the remainder of his career drifting in and out of the top ten but never really challenging for a title, he has already done enough to secure himself a very prosperous future in the UFC.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm supremely confident that he will secure another sensational stoppage victory against Poirier but hypothetically speaking, could he be another Michael Bisping?? As in, the UFC's big-mouth bad boy/golden boy, main-eventing fight nights and getting extremely well paid for it but never really taking that last step up towards title contention?? Bisping is reportedly on 275K a fight (as well as 150K win bonus).

Obviously Conor wants the belt but if his title aspirations don't become reality, is this the kind of future he can look forward to?

Definitely. Totally agree with the potential comparison to Bisping.

Never fought for the title, fought a few times in a number one contender slot but never made the final push.

Consistently one of the highest paid fighters in the company because of his big mouth and European profile & marketability.

That said, I think Conor has more potential to actually take the belt than Bisping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Thats the thing though, hasnt he said he wants to get in make as much money as he can then get out? or am i imagining things? 100% has a job as a pundit whether it be with BT ,Fox sports or whatever pops up in the time it takes for him to hang up his gloves. Hes set for life now anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Conor has even more potential than Bisping. He is comparable to Bisping, but with the following bonuses:

- Irish, which allows him to capture a massive Irish-American market.

- Has a legit shot at the title. Physically he has proved himself so far, but mentally I think most would agree he is one of the strongest in the game. He has some of strongest and most since self belief I've ever seen.

- Offers the UFC a chance to bring more attention to a talent filled but star starved division (side bonus that Edgar has joined FW now too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I think he's gonna do it(be no1),

I'm totally dreaming here but would love to see a superfight between Jon Jones and Conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Would ye feel though that Connor has the same personal earning potential as Bisping if he doesn't get a title?

Despite everything he has going for him there is still an absolute gulf between what he is on now (24K/24K ???) and what Bisping is said to be earning (275K/150K). Hell most of the promotions champions aren't pulling in those kinda purses.

And it has to be mentioned that Bisping was very much a pioneer and certainly the first globally recognised UFC superstar from Europe.

Personally I don't think Conor could match his pay from the UFC unless he becomes a champion but in terms of sponsorship/endorsements and future employment post-retirement, McGregors earning potential is astronomical.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Would ye feel though that Connor has the same personal earning potential as Bisping if he doesn't get a title?

Despite everything he has going for him there is still an absolute gulf between what he is on now (24K/24K ???) and what Bisping is said to be earning (275K/150K).

It took Bisping a long time to get to that earning stage. McGregor is still only 3 fights into his UFC career. I suspect his next contract will be a hefty one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It took Bisping a long time to get to that earning stage. McGregor is still only 3 fights into his UFC career. I suspect his next contract will be a hefty one...

Assuming he wins this one, Edgar or Swanson next maybe ? I'd like to see both of those fights for sure.

calex71 wrote: »
    Assuming he wins this one, Edgar or Swanson next maybe ? I'd like to see both of those fights for sure.

Edgar or Swanson next would make sense, but you can bet your ass that at the slightest hint of an injury to a title challenger and Dana would toss Conor a title shot if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Let's not forget also that Bisping was a TUF Champion back when people watched the show. Before he'd even fought in the UFC he had a lot of exposure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Edgar or Swanson next would make sense, but you can bet your ass that at the slightest hint of an injury to a title challenger and Dana would toss Conor a title shot if at all possible.

here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

John_D80 wrote: »

Despite everything he has going for him there is still an absolute gulf between what he is on now (24K/24K ???) and what Bisping is said to be earning (275K/150K). Hell most of the promotions champions aren't pulling in those kinda purses.

And it has to be mentioned that Bisping was very much a pioneer and certainly the first globally recognised UFC superstar from Europe.

Personally I don't think Conor could match his pay from the UFC unless he becomes a champion but in terms of sponsorship/endorsements and future employment post-retirement, McGregors earning potential is astronomical.

I didn't see the official figures for payouts for fight night Dublin,but i'd be surprised and disappointed if Conor only got 48k,for basically carrying a card which sold out in Dublin and broke the fight pass record so far.

I would imagine he is on a hefty pay whether under the table or not because he is a massive draw,and although new to the UFC,surely he knows himself how big his drawing power has become and Dana would be foolish to not keep him sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amkin25 wrote: »
    I didn't see the official figures for payouts for fight night Dublin,but i'd be surprised and disappointed if Conor only got 48k,for basically carrying a card which sold out in Dublin and broke the fight pass record so far.

I would imagine he is on a hefty pay whether under the table or not because he is a massive draw,and although new to the UFC,surely he knows himself how big his drawing power has become and Dana would be foolish to not keep him sweet.
    His contracted salary was possibly set when he initially signed, depending on how many fights he was signed for. His second fight was 12k/12k as part of the initial contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement