Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Defenders - 3 for 13.5-14M

Options
  • 05-08-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭

We can't forget about the cheapies at the back.

Not sure how to do this, not sure if a poll is the best option.... And the fact that I'm on the phone and don't know how to start a poll has factored into it :)

So, assuming most have at least 2 defenders that got in before the money ran out....
    What trio would you could if you had 13.5M?
    ...I'll let you have another 0.5M if you want, because you're good ;)

Normally I should start this off with my selections but I'm not sitting on the fence, I just haven't a clue yet :(
    Hoping to nail it down in the next week or so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,018 ✭✭✭✭CSF

PARlance wrote: »
    We can't forget about the cheapies at the back.

Not sure how to do this, not sure if a poll is the best option.... And the fact that I'm on the phone and don't know how to start a poll has factored into it :)

So, assuming most have at least 2 defenders that got in before the money ran out....
    What trio would you could if you had 13.5M?
    ...I'll let you have another 0.5M if you want, because you're good ;)

Normally I should start this off with my selections but I'm not sitting on the fence, I just haven't a clue yet :(
    Hoping to nail it down in the next week or so.

Over the course of the season, Ward, Pieters, Upson.

Trippier has claims too. Coloccini and Van Aanholt if you'd rather not go with a 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bit difficult without a poll... Why is it restricted to £13.5/£14m? Not sure how to answer it tbh, I have Terry and Debuchy, then Huth + Cameron + Dummett. Are you trying to find out what defenders to use after the 'big two' that most will have?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

roryc wrote: »
    Bit difficult without a poll... Why is it restricted to £13.5/£14m? Not sure how to answer it tbh, I have Terry and Debuchy, then Huth + Cameron + Dummett. Are you trying to find out what defenders to use after the 'big two' that most will have?

dummett is an interesting one.....he is 4m isn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yip, that's the jist.
    I know everyone has different ways with selecting their defence but the most common scenario I see is that 2 expensive ones are selected and then there's a limited budget leaving 3 relatively cheap defenders to be picked.

I put a range of 13.5-14M for 3 picks as I think that's about the average budget.
    The problem with a poll as I would see it is
    1. There are way too many choices of 4-5M defenders to list
    2. It may be headed by all the 5M defenders (and if you've spent big on 2 already, the other 3 will probably be less than 5 a piece)
    And the advantage of not having a poll
    1. People discuss possible rotation of cheap defenders as they have to pick three (More insightful imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

km79 wrote: »
    dummett is an interesting one.....he is 4m isn't he?

Yep, I have a mate who used to play for Newcastle and he generally has a good insight on their players. He seems to think Dummett could nail down a spot this season. Its not much help though, as I will likely use my WC early so I need starters for GW1! None of my bench are nailed on to start (Dummett, Cameron, Albrighton). I'll look closely at predicted line-ups and friendlies before making a decision on these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yep, I have a mate who used to play for Newcastle and he generally has a good insight on their players. He seems to think Dummett could nail down a spot this season. Its not much help though, as I will likely use my WC early so I need starters for GW1! None of my bench are nailed on to start (Dummett, Cameron, Albrighton). I'll look closely at predicted line-ups and friendlies before making a decision on these.

I have Colloccini atm, he is 4.5, wouldn't mind replacing him with Dummet if he starts. I will keep an eye on him, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ward looks a good option imo at 5.0. He was one of the top scorers last season despite Palace being awful under Holloway for the start of the season. He should also score higher for dribbling i think he is a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A Stoke/Swansea combination costs a minimum of £9.5m and gives one perfect rotation all season, including exceptional home fixtures for the first third of the season.

I'm going with Robert Huth (a goalscoring threat from set pieces in a side quite solid at home) and Neil Taylor (should be first choice LB for Swansea pending further transfer business).

Add another £4.0m (if a starter can be found among them) or £4.5m defender who compliments the aforementioned nicely in terms of fixtures and I think that would be quite a good 3 for £13.5m-£14m.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Dummett's a left back, right? I thought Santon was pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Newcastle defender at 4.5m to start.

rosskind wrote: »
    Dummett's a left back, right? I thought Santon was pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Newcastle defender at 4.5m to start.
    Coloccini surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

rosskind wrote: »

Santon's injured despite it not showing on the site.

Dummet has competition from Haidara/Raylor and possibly Yanga-Mbiwa however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Could someone create a poll?

Confident enough of Hutton being a 4.0 starter for Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

CSF wrote: »

I see the bolded words and I see minus points :pac:

Seriously though, has he been getting games in pre-season? And would Bacuna and Lowton not be ahead of him?

Seriously though, has he been getting games in pre-season? And would Bacuna and Lowton not be ahead of him?

He has been the starter in pre-season, and it's usually been the strongest 11

He has been the starter in pre-season, and it's usually been the strongest 11

Yeah I was looking through twitter there and saw he's starting tonight. Well that's an interesting development anyway. He could score or he could get a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hutton getting back into the side would be really weird he's been frozen out for a couple of years now.

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Could someone create a poll?

Poll would be a clusterfcuk, imo. Too many options to mention...

Huth, Taylor, o'shea
    Davies, Coloccini, Taylor
    ward, Cameron, Simpson
    etc.

And that's before we get properly into the 4.0 lads. I'll be going for a combination of those 9 I've mentioned above. Long term I'd prefer ward, but stoke are home to villa gw1 and palace play arsenal, so might opt for Shawcross, Taylor and a 4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just scored.... Get the wagon loaded quickly

Yeah I was looking through twitter there and saw he's starting tonight. Well that's an interesting development anyway. He could score or he could get a red card.

And Hutton just scored :pac:

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Just scored.... Get the wagon loaded quickly
    Do you guys want me to start a blog you can all subscribe to or something...

Lambert said he couldn't/wouldn't play Hutton due to his huge wages back in February, what has changed?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lambert said he couldn't/wouldn't play Hutton due to his huge wages back in February, what has changed?
    In the words of Taylor Swift, everything has changed. Villa are in a whole different means of operating. Compare the signings this summer to those last summer.

In the words of Taylor Swift, everything has changed. Villa are in a whole different means of operating. Compare the signings this summer to those last summer.

OK but he also played a part in last year's pre season but was left out their 25 man squad. Has Lambert said anything to suggest he'll be apart of it this season?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    OK but he also played a part in last year's pre season but was left out their 25 man squad. Has Lambert said anything to suggest he'll be apart of it this season?

A quick google shows this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10969487/Alan-Hutton-given-chance-to-revive-Aston-Villa-career-by-manager-Paul-Lambert.html

gameweek 4-8 villa play..........pool arsenal Chelsea city Everton 😨

km79 wrote: »
    gameweek 4-8 villa play..........pool arsenal Chelsea city Everton 😨

At 4.0 you won't be too upset about that though.

Anyone for a Hutton-Wisdom rotation? For 8.0 it's certainly a cost saving measure but I still wouldn't be confident of either starting or capable of clean sheets.

At 4.0 you won't be too upset about that though.

I dunno .....I want a back up defender with at least a chance of points and not negative ones :D I'm happy with wisdom if he is a starter. if not then I'll have to look again. there are a few Leicester ones too although they have a sticky opening as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

could anyone recommend a defender that would be alright for 4m? I seem to have a decent team but need to fill in the last defender sport and have 4m left . thanks!

Advertisement