Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

kupus wrote: »
    no typo, 11,000 euro per year for high engined luxury and performance cars.

obv im going to check it out myself later on,

No way it's 11k pa dude.

There is an initial tax you pay when buying a car, new or used iirc, which is very hefty for big cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

^^ from reading that, a new 3.5 l more than 155KW car is paying 5000 tax and it decreases year after year.

Maybe it was commercial tax that he was talking about?
    I will know more in a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

I was talking recently to a guy from Belgium, his dad owned a bmw 750, he himself owned an M5, but he crashed it, now he has a volvo v70,
    Anyway we got talking about tax and higher engined cars in Belgium are about 11000euro per year to tax, and as far as i remember no discount tax for oldtimers either.
    Looks like a lot of people there instead get their companies to buy and tax it and they can write it off.
    in effect it stops a lot of ordinary joes from being able to afford a car like this, as they dont own their own company.

but 1800 tax per year to drive a BMW 745 or bigger, doesnt look so bad now.

I think Belgium is 1 of few countries in Europe with higher motor tax rates than Ireland...would be amazed if it's that high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

bear1 wrote: »
    Re the BMW, is it me or does the rear suspension look faulty? Seems a bit low.
    I really don't think it's worth 4.3k though

Well spotted, there is an issue with the self levelling in the rear. He checked the pump and it's working, he seems to think it's got to do with the weight of the LPG tank, I wouldn't think so myself.

A quick diagnostic with DIS would have an answer in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Well spotted, there is an issue with the self levelling in the rear. He checked the pump and it's working, he seems to think it's got to do with the weight of the LPG tank, I wouldn't think so myself.

A quick diagnostic with DIS would have an answer in a few minutes.
    The whole idea of self levelling suspension is to accommodate for various loads, so the extra weight of the LPG tank should make no difference what so ever once the engine is running.
    The issue can be with leaking pipe, not enough oil in the system, faulty switch-off valve, air in the hydraulic system, etc. The problem may only be when car is parked and the engine off. Still, should not be the case, but if it is, it would be half-bad story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Yup, why I thought it had nothing to do with the LPG, somethings amiss with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

no typo, 11,000 euro per year for high engined luxury and performance cars.

obv im going to check it out myself later on,

Maybe he meant that the Benefit In Kind is €11k as he bought it through a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

Super thread : )
    Not great for my attempts to save.. So many worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭ofcork

$_20.JPG

03 S Class for sale on gt cork for 3750,petrol but doesn't say engine size.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Nice rims.

The amgs take from the look of the car tbh..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Cartell to the rescue.
    https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=03C5509

Registration 03C5509
    Make MERCEDES BENZ
    Model S350
    Description 350
    Engine Capacity (cc) 3724

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ok, just going back to what i was talking about earlier, it was insurance that we were discussing, apparently. so, 11000 for insurance for bmw 750 and not tax, insurance is a write off for companies as well. we got lost in translation somewhere, and having strong belgian beer didnt help. im on it again tonight. fuc me this belgian beer stuff is is like mammys soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Leffe Blonde? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Left the blond where now? :eek: :p:pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Belgian motor tax rates here:

http://www.belgium.be/fr/mobilite/vehicules/taxe_de_circulation_et_assurance/taxe_de_circulation/

Interesting that they must also pay a radio tax too.....

Arise thread.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-jaguar-xjs-vintage-tax-nct-exempt/7471647
    32053930.jpeg
    Vintage tax, test exempt and "ready to drive away" - probably get it fr €2k too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Vintage tax, test exempt and "ready to drive away" - probably get it fr €2k too :cool:

Definitely Bangernomics territory!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

You'd need deep pockets or brass balls to take on an XJS, they can be serious money pits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

daveohdave wrote: »
    You'd need deep pockets or brass balls to take on an XJS, they can be serious money pits.

And you need to pay for two parking spots every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Arise thread.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1979-jaguar-xjs-vintage-tax-nct-exempt/7471647

As much as I'd love it, I don't think I'd be brave enough. Could quite easily cost you that again in the first year.

As a weekender it could be ok if its decent but you might as well set fire to your wallet if its a bad one.

There's a good reason there aren't too many early XJS's still on the roads.

daveohdave wrote: »
    As much as I'd love it, I don't think I'd be brave enough. Could quite easily cost you that again in the first year.

As a weekender it could be ok if its decent but you might as well set fire to your wallet if its a bad one.
    porsche959 wrote: »

Thats why I haven't rang already :(

I don't "do" weekend drivers - its either an everyday driver or I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That's too cheap for what it is. I reckon it's got rust issues, most probably around the rear strut tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

porsche959 wrote: »

My way of looking at that is if its made it this far, its been loved somewhere along the way and hopefully in the last few years as opposed to the first few years. Its for that reason that id have no problem buying something like this, or a lancia beta for example, because the reason why they haven't been converted in bean cans was because they were looked after. I find this applies a lot with cars that had poor reliability issues at the start of their lives, than cars that were renowned for being indestructible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

ba_barabus wrote: »
    That's too cheap for what it is. I reckon it's got rust issues, most probably around the rear strut tops.

I've been looking at that all afternoon as well.
    2k for a vintage tax nct exempt v12 rwd seems too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

My way of looking at that is if its made it this far, its been loved somewhere along the way and hopefully in the last few years as opposed to the first few years. Its for that reason that id have no problem buying something like this, or a lancia beta for example, because the reason why they haven't been converted in bean cans was because they were looked after. I find this applies a lot with cars that had poor reliability issues at the start of their lives, than cars that were renowned for being indestructible

The problem is they need constant care. A lot of these cars are now being bought by people who simply just want to avoid paying the tax and nct cost. They buy them and run them till they drop. I've seen some great cars ruined in the past few years by owners who think it's a great tax loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Probably loved in it's previous life in the UK then it was brought over by someone with too much Celtic tiger cash and treated like shît. I once seen a mk1 xj6 in rare manual with a fsh from new brought over and when the new owner found out it wasn't as driver friendly as his modern he left it parked in the open to rot away! A very sad end for a special car.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    And you need to pay for two parking spots every time.

While not exactly an ideal city car it's not as long as it looks. 4870 mm compared to 4905 mm for a modern S Type. Modern equivalent to the XJS, the XK is not much shorter at 4794 mm though it looks a lot more compact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement