Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bargains for parents to be

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Take this picture to mothercare for a price match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

That's brilliant, you get the mothercare points for it then :) What tesco was that in?

That's brilliant, you get the mothercare points for it then :) What tesco was that in?

Wilton in cork last one
    Tried Mahon point before that and they never got them in

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Never heated a bottle for number one. Room temperature every time. Just boiled the kettle at night and filled enough bottles for the next 24 hours and mixed the formula in just at feeding time. Breastfed for the first 18 weeks and the milk is room temperature so my son was never used to a hot bottle. Going out for the day was so easy when you didn't have to worry about heating bottles. Hoping to do the same for number two. Just my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

What way does the mothercare price match work??

• Advertisement

Lashes28 wrote: »
    What way does the mothercare price match work??

Show them the picture of the price in Tesco and they will match it
    This is from the terms and conditions in the catalogue

Mothercare price match guarantee
    We’ll match the price of a product if you find it cheaper, within 7 days of buying it from mothercare. This applies to any republic of Ireland retailer (exception auction sites) for an identical product where the item is in stock. We’ll need to verify this with a quick phone call or if you have already bought the item we’ll also need a copy of your mothercare receipt. We’ll also match any landed online prices for Ireland & the UK. Price match applies to all products and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

fall wrote: »
    Never heated a bottle for number one. Room temperature every time. Just boiled the kettle at night and filled enough bottles for the next 24 hours and mixed the formula in just at feeding time. Breastfed for the first 18 weeks and the milk is room temperature so my son was never used to a hot bottle. Going out for the day was so easy when you didn't have to worry about heating bottles. Hoping to do the same for number two. Just my experience!

Not going to derail thread but you should not do this. The reason you need to add formula powder to water at 70 degrees is to kill any harmful bacteria in the formula powder which IS NOT sterile. Babies could possibly become very ill by adding mill powder to cool or cold water. There is a specific formula which allows you to add the powder to cold water but not the normal run of the mill formulas.

Millem wrote: »
    There's no comparison, every bottle is made fresh and on demand. Great for night feeds etc but I don't want to derail thread tbh.

If I wasn't breastfeeding I would definitely get this!!! I hate hate hate preparing bottles!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Not going to derail thread but you should not do this. The reason you need to add formula powder to water at 70 degrees is to kill any harmful bacteria in the formula powder which IS NOT sterile. Babies could possibly become very ill by adding mill powder to cool or cold water. There is a specific formula which allows you to add the powder to cold water but not the normal run of the mill formulas.

We used this method for a few weeks thinking it was ok until the phn advised us againt it :( After that we used to make up the bottles in a batch once a day and take from the fridge and heat as we needed them (this is also not recommended but it worked ok for us)

The new recommendation from the hse is that every botlle of formula be prepared fresh. Which means if you're using and electric or steam steriliser, you have to sterilise each bottle as and when you need it, along with boil the kettle and allow it to cool 5-6 times a day.

Making bottles is the only thing I absolutely HATED doing that's why I want the prep machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    If I wasn't breastfeeding I would definitely get this!!! I hate hate hate preparing bottles!

Oh stop I know! We didn't have a clue when we had to move to formula! My milk stopped on the Friday and the following Monday we went to mothercare and bought the machine! I used those cartons to top up the breast milk that was in fridge because I couldn't abide making up bottles!

• Advertisement

We used this method for a few weeks thinking it was ok until the phn advised us againt it :( After that we used to make up the bottles in a batch once a day and take from the fridge and heat as we needed them (this is also not recommended but it worked ok for us)

The new recommendation from the hse is that every botlle of formula be prepared fresh. Which means if you're using and electric or steam steriliser, you have to sterilise each bottle as and when you need it, along with boil the kettle and allow it to cool 5-6 times a day.

Making bottles is the only thing I absolutely HATED doing that's why I want the prep machine :D

That's mad you now have to prepare each bottle fresh! Last year guidelines said it was ok to make them together and keep in fridge for 24hrs... Such hassle! Tell me, on the steriliser (well the one that we have anyway-tommee tippee) it says one sterilised the empty bottles remain sterile for 24 hours if untouched. Could you not just sterilise say 6 bottles and take each one out during the day as they are needed?

This is what we were told too by the nurses. We never made them in batches and made them up one at a time :eek: I have these sterilising microwave bags that are soooo handy you get 20 goes out of each bag. I got a box of 3 for €1 in woodies reduced to clear. 1 bottle takes 3 mins in microwave, I used then for hols are were amazing!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-051246-Microwave-Steriliser-Bags/dp/B006MB1SA2

This is what we were told too by the nurses. We never made them in batches and made them up one at a time :eek: I have these sterilising microwave bags that are soooo handy you get 20 goes out of each bag. I got a box of 3 for €1 in woodies reduced to clear. 1 bottle takes 3 mins in microwave, I used then for hols are were amazing!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Munchkin-051246-Microwave-Steriliser-Bags/dp/B006MB1SA2

You know those MAM bottles have a self sterilising feature Millem!? You can put them in the microwave with a bit of water in and they sterilise themself!

The guidelines were completely different eight years ago and I didn't hear of any child getting sick. These guidelines seem to change every few years but anyone I know with a few kids still do it the old way. It likes sterilising, in America they sterilise by washing the bottles in the dishwasher. If water is put into a sealed container boiling and not opened until it is to be used I don't see how it could become contaminated.

The guidelines were completely different eight years ago and I didn't hear of any child getting sick. These guidelines seem to change every few years but anyone I know with a few kids still do it the old way. It likes sterilising, in America they sterilise by washing the bottles in the dishwasher. If water is put into a sealed container boiling and not opened until it is to be used I don't see how it could become contaminated.

It becomes contaminated from the unsterile milk powder which contains bacteria. In America people sterilise in the dishwasher as ye temperature of dishwashers is higher!

Te guidelines are always always changing. But people did lots of different things years ago and many kids were grand. But guidelines do change for a reason. At te end of the day you can prepare bottles how you want. But if it were me and my baby got sick when I knowingly didnt adhere to best practice I would never forgive myself... But that's just me.

By adding the powder to the water at 70degrees you kill the bacteria inthe milk powder. What's the point in sterilising the bottles of you are just going to go and add unsterile mill powder to them?

By adding the powder to the water at 70degrees you kill the bacteria inthe milk powder. What's the point in sterilising the bottles of you are just going to go and add unsterile mill powder to them?

Ok so no bottle makers in Drogheda Tesco extra, but I picked up the pampers size 2 on the bogof offer, however for some reason it took an extra 4.98 off the total, so got two large bags of nappies for €8.01,not sure if it's supposed to be like that or in all stores?

Going slightly off topic here people

As I said it wasn't best practise when I had my last child. Amazed at the change in guidelines, never said I would endanger my child. There was no mention anywhere of bacteria in formula then. How many times have the guidelines changed on the best sleeping position for babies? That is the simple point I am trying to make. Someone in two years time could be saying something very different. Amazed that they are allowed to sell something for babies that could harm them if you don't cool the water for no more than 30 minutes. Very specific best practise. I wonder how many people time it!

• Advertisement

Ok so no bottle makers in Drogheda Tesco extra, but I picked up the pampers size 2 on the bogof offer, however for some reason it took an extra 4.98 off the total, so got two large bags of nappies for €8.01,not sure if it's supposed to be like that or in all stores?

Lashes that great, you should go in and stick up on more size 2s! They are essential packs though not large packs. :D

Sorry fire starter! Got totally off topic :)

As I said it wasn't best practise when I had my last child. Amazed at the change in guidelines, never said I would endanger my child. There was no mention anywhere of bacteria in formula then. How many times have the guidelines changed on the best sleeping position for babies? That is the simple point I am trying to make. Someone in two years time could be saying something very different. Amazed that they are allowed to sell something for babies that could harm them if you don't cool the water for no more than 30 minutes. Very specific best practise. I wonder how many people time it!

I always timed it. I'm taking a guess that most people do in the last couple years. Guidelines are always changing :). Just like most people won't put their babies sleeping on their tummies these days as it corresponds with a higher SIDS rate... If this was known years ago people obviously would've taken note also. Anyways, I won't say anymore as I'm derailing thread :)

Fall it is written in the box of every formula box "because powdered milks are not sterile, failure to follow instructions, may make your baby ill". It is written in red on aptimal not sure what colour on other brands. You can do whatever you want and if you go to holles street they will give you a booklet and in it it will have instructions on how to make a bottle but back to the topic the machine is a bargain :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The guidelines for making bottles as you need them has been best practice for a long long time but as that is not always practical they also provide guidelines for the next best way to make them and these can change eg making them rapid cooling and in to the fridge.

Oh girl I realised after the first time, went in and got another set for myself, rang my cousin and picked her up two as well, great price!

Oh girl I realised after the first time, went in and got another set for myself, rang my cousin and picked her up two as well, great price!

Brill! Which tesco in drogheda? Also if you are getting more Go to self service :D

Just checked the amazon price tracker site there and apparently, the lowest price the perfect prep machine has ever been is £48.96 and that was back in November 2013 so I might hang on a little longer for it to drop more :)

Brill! Which tesco in drogheda? Also if you are getting more Go to self service :D

Oh I did, it was in the big one ;)

• Advertisement

Mothercare just emailed me a 10% off code valid till Monday. WEBF5. There is a barcode thank you can print off so you can use in store but I don't know how to upload :(

Advertisement