Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Younger man, older woman (in general)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Nothing wrong with being a cradle snatcher OP, you cougar you... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My dad is 8 years younger than my mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

mad muffin wrote: »
    My dad is 8 years younger than my mum.
    yes i am not saying it is impossible, of course..
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being a cradle snatcher OP, you cougar you... ;)
    but i am not, and i do not want to be one : ) not in that way anyway : )...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

^^^ Rachel Luttrel is actually a few years older than the op ;)
    Proving yet again the maxim that "Black don't crack". So for the palefaces out there, slap on the sunblock and never seek out a tan. :D I met an Ethiopian woman a few years back. Stunning looking and elegant beyond belief. You'd know she was over 25, but after that you'd be tossing a coin to figure her actual age. If she had said 32 or something you'd not bat an eyelid. Turned out she was 49.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

How old is too old I wonder? I'm six years older than my husband but no one bats an eye(I've always been kind of young looking - baby faced if you like;)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have a bizarre amount of young fellas hitting on me online. I am the same age as the OP and I think it's hilarious. I could have given birth to half of them.
    Did they not have contraception back in those days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Where is the Avatar located?

i think you need to enable it through your control panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Could be lots of reasons some guys would go for women a good bit older than them:

:It's not that they are specifically going for someone older than them. They just meet a specific person they fancy that happens to be older than them so they pursue them.
    :Fetish (mammy issues and the like).
    :Really really don't want kids and the women are past child bearing age.
    :Figure older women will be easier as they'll have less interest in them than younger girls, or be a little more desperate than younger girls and be flattered that a younger guy still wants to bone them and get the knickers off with less effort.
    :Mistakenly believe that there is a correlation between age and sexual experience or prowess.
    :Some people just fancy older people more like some people just fancy lighter or darker skin more.
    :I'm sure there's other reasons too.

Could be lots of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Stage of life matters more to me rather than anything else. As long as they are 18+ and not still in school, they're good to go.

If I like, I bang.

• Advertisement

Give me an older man, any day :)

I think Id find a younger man to be, well, just an appetiser...:D;)

strobe wrote: »
    Could be lots of reasons some guys would go for women a good bit older than them:

:It's not that they are specifically going for someone older than them. They just meet a specific person they fancy that happens to be older than them so they pursue them.
    yes i hear this lots. i can give examples of course very recent ones or of those happening just now. i am having hard time figuring out how to break someones heart. some are very persistent and since we are friends for 2 or even 5 years i have hard time to just stop the communication.
    so it came out since i am now single, and before i was in relationship so it was not the topic at all i guess..
    now i asked one friend (who i know for 5 years) like since when it is so, he said since the moment i saw you. bare in mind he was in relationship too at the time. now he broke u with tht girl 4 months ago and proposed that to me that we be together and how he wants to do everything right etc :d) he's 28 lol i refused yes, now he has a girlfriend of his age since 2 weeks ago but still he is calling me, telling me how unique and beautiful i am and he is really happy talkin' to me .. that's just one of examples. he yesterday called me to ask me why his new gf told him something so i said well why don't you call her and ask, why are you asking me that :) i mean, he had an excuse just to call and talk with me .. also some indecent offers i'd rather not talk about..
    but he is a nice guy and i like him, not in that way obviously..
    i could go on and on
    another friend i even know him from college, he's 29 and we went out 2 weeks ago as he called me out for the second time.. i first refused but then when he offered to hear a concert of some music i really like i said well okay lets go out..
    so i had a good time, yes. but he said we have to repeat this. you know, he wants to visit me and is looking for events that id be interesting in, even when i said i have to study he offered to cycle here just for us having an ice cream and me to take a break :) he is a nice guy but i am not into him. my flatmate suggested he is interested in me and i didn't believe it in the beginning .. i always thought he is into my friend from college who is much younger and yes beautiful, i love her : ) he even said i am like that music we were listening :d)) and i am always try to cool things so i said like, aw yes i can see myself in it... etc..

and, i mean yes it is all sweet i have to say, but it also is making me worrying : )

if you want more examples let me know i will not be lazy to write.. it feels good to talk about this (in a civilized manner :))

so anyway i hope this all also explains the thread topic : )...

Joya wrote: »
    ok, never ask a lady for her age :d) but for the sake of discussion i think its fair so (very) late thirties..

Listen lady, you ain't old! Jaysus with the way you were going on, I thought you were in your 70's. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Listen lady, you ain't old! Jaysus with the way you were going on, I thought you were in your 70's. :pac:

I suspect the 'dreamer' underneath her username is the only description we should take as accurate... Blanche DuBois eat your heart out. :pac:

Muise... wrote: »
    I suspect the 'dreamer' underneath her username is the only description we should take as accurate... Blanche DuBois eat your heart out. :pac:

ahahah, i love that play btw :)

strobe wrote: »
    :I'm sure there's other reasons too.

Could be lots of things.

yes i had to quote you again.
    i sometimes am wondering can it be that, guys in their late 20s early 30s are actually really like girls in their 20s (for example) but are too shy or to afraid to approach them, so .. you know they go for what they think they can get LOL

if so it could be placed on your potential reasons list : )

(i asked this one of my friends - but he said why cant you just accept that someone likes you and that it has nothing to do with others).
    but i am skeptical...... maybe because i think, if I would be on their place id always go for these other girls and id have trouble "selecting" only one :d)) (even counting me in or calling me a "girl" sounds funny_ :d)) i'd rather spend my time trying and/or losing with them than that id pursue someone of this age.. when i was in my 20s people in mid or late 30s seemed old to me i remember that lol
    did that change in a meanwhile?? :unsure:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I'm sorry OP, you're just TOO good-looking. Or as one direction says......you don't know you're beautiful and that's what makes you beautiful :pac:

I'm guessing it's not just young guys that are attracted to you, you're just around them more or maybe they just stand out more because of the age gap? You sound like you're not comfortable with so much attention, not much to do about that except to just take it as a compliment, or put a bag over your head or just be honest with people if you're not interested, you should not be worried about letting them down. I get the impression you're a nice, modest person, almost thinking there must be something wrong with them if they like you! But is there really any point doing some weird Freudian analysis on these guys, you've been in long term relationships with some of them so they're obviously not all just seeking you out for sex. It doesn't really take that long to get an idea of what kind of person someone is, if they're are lacking a bit of maturity you should be able to spot that early on, you can probably spot the red flags now after your previous relationships, but that shouldn't stop you judging every younger guy. Of course their motivations will vary, but those are things that are only easy to hide in the beginning.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    or put a bag over your head or

ha, thanks --LOS--, there is something in it : )
    i remember in secondary school i was always wearing some wide sweaters you know so ike hiding myself, and then one day one of the cool guys (with whom i also - me and few others0 were smoking int he toilet :d)) asked me: why are you always wearing that stuff.. when are you going to dress as a girl so that we can see you :d))

honestly i was not even aware anyone of them would be in any way interested in "seeing me", if you know what i mean : )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Stage of life matters more to me rather than anything else. As long as they are 18+ and not still in school, they're good to go.

If I like, I bang.

^^
    Anyone else picturing a heavy set 50 year-old neckbeard in the basement? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I am just fine with friendship to be honest. I do enjoy the company, have lots of laugh etc, you know, really good time :).

So when they start to express a wish for something more I start to feel unease and something changes in me making me starting to feel uncomfortable.

The unease you feel is because they have disguised their true intention by pretending to offer friendship when they should have been upfront from the very beginning.

Anyway, here is what that old dog Benjamin Franklin had to say:
    Benjamin Franklin, Advice to a Young Man on the Choice of a Mistress (1745).

June 25, 1745

My dear Friend,

I know of no Medicine fit to diminish the violent natural Inclinations you mention; and if I did, I think I should not communicate it to you. Marriage is the proper Remedy. It is the most natural State of Man, and therefore the State in which you are most likely to find solid Happiness. Your Reasons against entering into it at present, appear to me not well-founded. The circumstantial Advantages you have in View by postponing it, are not only uncertain, but they are small in comparison with that of the Thing itself, the being married and settled. It is the Man and Woman united that make the compleat human Being. Separate, she wants his Force of Body and Strength of Reason; he, her Softness, Sensibility and acute Discernment. Together they are more likely to succeed in the World. A single Man has not nearly the Value he would have in that State of Union. He is an incomplete Animal. He resembles the odd Half of a Pair of Scissars. If you get a prudent healthy Wife, your Industry in your Profession, with her good Economy, will be a Fortune sufficient.

But if you will not take this Counsel, and persist in thinking a Commerce with the Sex inevitable, then I repeat my former Advice, that in all your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones. You call this a Paradox, and demand my Reasons. They are these:

i. Because as they have more Knowledge of the World and their Minds are better stor'd with Observations, their Conversation is more improving and more lastingly agreable.

2. Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their Influence over Men, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augmentation of Utility. They learn to do a 1000 Services small and great, and are the most tender and useful of all Friends when you are sick. Thus they continue amiable. And hence there is hardly such a thing to be found as an old Woman who is not a good Woman.

3. Because there is no hazard of Children, which irregularly produc'd may be attended with much Inconvenience.

4. Because thro' more Experience, they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your Reputation. And with regard to theirs, if the Affair should happen to be known, considerate People might be rather inclin'd to excuse an old Woman who would kindly take care of a young Man, form his Manners by her good Counsels, and prevent his ruining his Health and Fortune among mercenary Prostitutes.

5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding2 only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.

6. Because the Sin is less. The debauching a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her for Life unhappy.

7. Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections; none of which can attend the making an old Woman happy.

8thly and Lastly They are so grateful!!

Thus much for my Paradox. But still I advise you to marry directly; being sincerely Your affectionate Friend.

LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

^^
    Anyone else picturing a heavy set 50 year-old neckbeard in the basement? :D

You keep your disgusting fantasies to yourself.

You keep your disgusting fantasies to yourself.

You take that back! :mad:

Everyone is entitled to some loving! :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its not a secret i am not born irish : )..(only proud to became one :))
    Ahh the exotic factor. In any culture add 10 points. :) I've worked this angle for much of my life. Irish women see me coming from a long distance away and usually think "oh god *facepalm*. Bless. At least he's trying. I'll be polite". Non Irish women usually think "oh god *facepalm*. Bless. Well he is definitely different to the local guys. I may ignore his bullshít and see how it goes". God bless the human drive to find the different attractive. :D
    so was thinking about your statement for a while and , is it that perhaps the age difference and/or being a mother (to someone elses child i guess unfortunately) - which both makes "us" "unavailable" - is a thing that makes it actually "attractive"..?
    Oh "forbidden fruit" is a big attraction trigger. Our collective cultures reflect that. Nigh on every culture in every time has followed the Romeo and Juliet model, the forbidden, the different. West side story, Grease and a long list of others copies this meme.
    now i asked one friend (who i know for 5 years) like since when it is so, he said since the moment i saw you. bare in mind he was in relationship too at the time. now he broke u with tht girl 4 months ago and proposed that to me that we be together and how he wants to do everything right etc :d) he's 28 lol i refused yes, now he has a girlfriend of his age since 2 weeks ago but still he is calling me, telling me how unique and beautiful i am and he is really happy talkin' to me ..
    Oh really? Eh no. He's being a complete dick IMHO. A man to be avoided like the plague. Disloyal and spineless with it. If he felt that way "since the moment [he] saw you" and did nada about it? = Spineless. If he has felt this way through a previous relationship and a new relationship? = Dick and spineless. Sad bastard IMHO. I'd not count on him as a "friend" in any shape or form. A self involved, spineless dick is soooo not a good bet in any capacity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Gyalist wrote: »
    The unease you feel is because they have disguised their true intention by pretending to offer friendship when they should have been upfront from the very beginning.
    yes you could be very right..
    Anyway, here is what that old dog Benjamin Franklin had to say:
    LINK

wow so someone as great even had a serious thought on the topic hahah lol
    khm..
    anyway a word mistress.. hmmm.. i would prefer a 'lover' :d))

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh "forbidden fruit" is a big attraction trigger. Our collective cultures reflect that. Nigh on every culture in every time has followed the Romeo and Juliet model, the forbidden, the different. West side story, Grease and a long list of others copies this meme.
    well forbidden id say is perhaps more applicable to "milf" category??
    in my case (and similar ones) i am not sure it is the same.. what i wanted to say it is that perhaps fact that it cannot be anything serious for real - meaning it would be all just fun, is attractive., you know, no strings thing, some feeling of freedom..
    Oh really? Eh no. He's being a complete dick IMHO. A man to be avoided like the plague. Disloyal and spineless with it. If he felt that way "since the moment [he] saw you" and did nada about it? = Spineless. If he has felt this way through a previous relationship and a new relationship? = Dick and spineless. Sad bastard IMHO. I'd not count on him as a "friend" in any shape or form. A self involved, spineless dick is soooo not a good bet in any capacity.
    yes, i see where you are coming from.. i told him it is not okay at all what he is suggesting, and only if his gf would come and say hiya yes im okay with that well then i guess i would maybe be okay with it too. as long as there is honesty to all sides. like this my hands are tied. i also said i would not be comfortable with him due to his dishonesty.. (i mean he is honest to me but not to his gfs) he said i wish i have a pure heart and thoughts like you : ).. but i am glad he can talk with me about everything (and he loves that), so i also know who i am "dealing with" : )

and yea about before, he said so many times he'd come to visit me he had these pictures in his head, but as soon as he would see me - because i was always acting friendly, they would just go for that period of time and he would just enjoy the conversation and the company..

perhaps that is why i was clueless about it......

yes, i see where you are coming from.. i told him it is not okay at all what he is suggesting, and only if his gf would come and say hiya yes im okay with that well then i guess i would maybe be okay with it too. as long as there is honesty to all sides. like this my hands are tied. i also said i would not be comfortable with him due to his dishonesty.. (i mean he is honest to me but not to his gfs) he said i wish i have a pure heart and thoughts like you : ).. but i am glad he can talk with me about everything (and he loves that), so i also know who i am "dealing with" : )

and yea about before, he said so many times he'd come to visit me he had these pictures in his head, but as soon as he would see me - because i was always acting friendly, they would just go for that period of time and he would just enjoy the conversation and the company..

perhaps that is why i was clueless about it......
    Oh I dunno... I'm gonna take an entirely different tack on this thread.

It doesn't sound "clueless" to me. Sounds to me like you like/need the validation he and the others you've described give you.

You say it's not OK for him to feel and suggest all this, but what do you do? You continue a 'friendship" with a man who has emotionally cheated with you not once but twice in two relationships and continues to do so. Your actions don't follow your words.

IMHO you're loving/need the attention, rather the validation of this man who talks with you about everything, more than he does with his girlfriend. A man who tells you how "unique and beautiful" you are. A man that you don't like "in that way", so he's no threat there. He's not being honest, but IMHO neither are you. Indeed it could be argued this very thread is about seeking even more validation for you.

I'd go further and suggest that you're subconsciously preselecting such men on the basis of the validation they give you. In my experience younger men are not so good at spotting this kind of thing so it makes sense they'd figure more in your circle of validation suppliers. Most older guys with a few miles on the engine will not get into such an arrangement. Why? Because it has more than the sniff of narcissism and you learn that those people who need to seek validation externally no amount of validation is going to be enough.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If this thread doesn't end with Wibbs and Joya shacking up I'll be very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'll be delighted for the pair of them. I hear she's a looker. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I dunno... I'm gonna take an entirely different tack on this thread.

It doesn't sound "clueless" to me. Sounds to me like you like/need the validation he and the others you've described give you.

You say it's not OK for him to feel and suggest all this, but what do you do? You continue a 'friendship" with a man who has emotionally cheated with you not once but twice in two relationships and continues to do so. Your actions don't follow your words.

IMHO you're loving/need the attention, rather the validation of this man who talks with you about everything, more than he does with his girlfriend. A man who tells you how "unique and beautiful" you are. A man that you don't like "in that way", so he's no threat there. He's not being honest, but IMHO neither are you. Indeed it could be argued this very thread is about seeking even more validation for you.

I'd go further and suggest that you're subconsciously preselecting such men on the basis of the validation they give you. In my experience younger men are not so good at spotting this kind of thing so it makes sense they'd figure more in your circle of validation suppliers. Most older guys with a few miles on the engine will not get into such an arrangement. Why? Because it has more than the sniff of narcissism and you learn that those people who need to seek validation externally no amount of validation is going to be enough.

aw okay, let me see : )
    in relation to this particular friend i really thought we are friends for all those years. it was an enjoyable friendship as far as i am concerned. i am also grateful to him because when i was going through some tough time he was there for me and listen.. thing is, that about 6 months ago i called him to go to cinema with me if he can/wants etc but he said he would love to but not sure his (then) gf would be okay with that. that was the first time i've heard anything like that and it sounded very strange because i knew her too lol..
    so i had to ask, right? and i did, like why she would not be ok with that. and he said that she might be jealous.
    not that even more raised a red flag and you know, women are usually right if they feel jealous - that something is going on .. and it is usually of s*xual nature.. so i was puzzled but i asked again
    like why would she be jealous - when we are just friends, unless there is something more from your side, and is there..
    so he blushed and was all smitten etc and then he told me.
    i did not give the reasons for that i know that so my conscience is clear. i did not encouraged him or anything, i also did not see him for a while.. so after they broke up (you could see that coming from a mile away) i also refused the proposal. so it was not a game i played, i was true to myself. you never had a friend like that?
    i also am hoping that through our friendship he can perhaps learn something and change. i will meet his new gf and yes, i decided looong time ago that i would never hurt another woman because of man. believe me, i had offers.

subconsciously pre-selecting.. hm : )... just for example i met this friend he was studying psychology and so was i.. we talked after one lecture we both went to and so on. i saw nothing wrong with that as we had lots in common to talk about.
    now, to stop that friendship.. hm. sure i can. i was thinking that myself and even told him that last time we talked - that i had those thoughts.
    but i am of forgivable nature. perhaps he learned something from all of this. i want to believe in second chances you know. do you consider that wrong?

you see that "line below my nick name" - it says dreamer :) yes i dream of a better world and so i believe in every but every man there is good behind all faults and masks and walls ... even wrongdoings..

and yes i've passed the "validation" need long time ago. we all had it i believe and it is only natural part of growing up process..

in relation to pre-selection, i mean, do you really believe i 'select' man who work in the same office like me. or go to same course like me. or doctors who are operating on me and then have a crash one me.. subconsciously.. this story above is just one of many, i would not know where to start if id need to write all of that.. i must be some witch according to you :D

but really - lets go back to the topic - if possible and not make it personal okay? :)

• Advertisement

I'll be delighted for the pair of them. I hear she's a looker. :D

you are funny but i must not say that because wibbs may think that i am seeking for validation and so its me who's subconsiously selecting guys like you to write messages like that on this topic :D:D:D

Advertisement