Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ColeTrain wrote: »
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221538

A few mind games from Cork. Smacks of desperation tbh.

Ah ya, they got their lead from Niall Cahalane and Larry Tomkins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ColeTrain wrote: »
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=221538

A few mind games from Cork. Smacks of desperation tbh.

No need for that sort of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anyone hear rumour that Donie Vaughan is starting midfield instead of Barry Moran with cuniffe returning .......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

km79 wrote: »
    Anyone hear rumour that Donie Vaughan is starting midfield instead of Barry Moran with cuniffe returning .......

No,hope it's not true, I'd like to see Jason Gibbons start along side Seamus O Shea in the middle. What sort of rejigging of the half back line would that entail? Would Chris Barrett be reassigned to the half back line?:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would only weaken us against a team with a midfield which wouldn't be their strongest point.
    Really hope he stops dicking around now and just out with the players in their strongest positions.
    I'd like to see us start with the same 15 that we had against Galway.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    No,hope it's not true, I'd like to see Jason Gibbons start along side Seamus O Shea in the middle. What sort of rejigging of the half back line would that entail? Would Chris Barrett be reassigned to the half back line?:confused:

or Higgins........ apparently the long term thinking is that Vaughan would match McCauley for speed and athleticism......I dunno moving o Shea to CF last game and now this? mayo have plenty of midfielder s to choose from. does not make a lot of sense and hopefully is bull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Vaughan player full-forward for Ballinrobe a few weeks back against Kiltane in champo, did very well. I persumed it would be Gibbons coming in for Barry, purely on mobility. Be interesting to see

Vaughan player full-forward for Ballinrobe a few weeks back against Kiltane in champo, did very well. I persumed it would be Gibbons coming in for Barry, purely on mobility. Be interesting to see

I think it will be gibbons too if Moran is making way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I have 2 season tickets in 306 beside each other for the match on Sunday. Face Value if anyone is interested. Something has come up and I cant make it. Send a PM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭eigrod

Waiting to see if Upper Tiers open for Sunday's semi finals. The family ticket areas available at the moment in the lower tiers are very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Mayo should have too much for Cork, have had a good bet on them -2 @ Evens with Paddy Power.
    Cork are in transition, look lacklustre, no confidence. Mayo are strong all over the pitch and should win the midfield battle.
    I can see them pulling away in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

yop wrote: »
    In my opinion probably the best natural Mayo forward I have ever seen in a Mayo jersey.

Ah no, that surely has to go to Ciaran Mc!
    The best natural forward I have ever seen, not just in a Mayo jersey.

COC shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as McDonald.. McDonald was an absolute genius..

The best Mayo forward ever, albeit before my time, but the stories I have heard about Joe Corcoran of Ballina are incredible.
    Mayo drew 0-11 to 0-11 against Kerry one time and Joe scored all 11 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Strong words.

I love Ciaran Mac as much as the next Mayo man, but he's no Colm Cooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Kalyke

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    COC shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as McDonald.. McDonald was an absolute genius..

The best Mayo forward ever, albeit before my time, but the stories I have heard about Joe Corcoran of Ballina are incredible.
    Ardnaree to be pedantic....

Mc was top class, he could control and pass a ball anywhere, though with regards his scoring return COC even though he is only 22 is probably close to or surpassed his tally already. Don't get wrong Mc was A1, but as an out and out forward, COC is the best I have seen.

As above, genius, but scoring COC is a better option. Definitely both in the same breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Cillian is a great forward no doubt, the best in the province by some distance and probably top 4 or 5 nationally. Scarily he will improve even more.

One thing I would not class him as is 'natural'.

He is a seriously dedicated player who has put in the hard slog on the training field to get where he is.

Cooper and Murphy would be examples of natural footballers playing at the moment.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Cillian is a great forward no doubt, the best in the province by some distance and probably top 4 or 5 nationally. Scarily he will improve even more.

One thing I would not class him as is 'natural'.

He is a seriously dedicated player who has put in the hard slog on the training field to get where he is.

Cooper and Murphy would be examples of natural footballers playing at the moment.

Define natural.

I am on about Mayo, Cooper is without doubt natural, Murphy has been off his game for over a year but is a fine fine player, wouldn't put him the same category as Cooper.

For me, a natural forward is someone who has a brilliant eye for goal.
    Cillian is definitely a natural forward, he is in the top 3 most accurate players in the country.

He doesn't look as stylish, but that's a different topic.

For me, a natural forward is someone who has a brilliant eye for goal.
    Cillian is definitely a natural forward, he is in the top 3 most accurate players in the country.

He doesn't look as stylish, but that's a different topic.

If he had 10 heads It wouldn't bother me ;)

He doesn't think about it, watching him in the last few games, he doesn't dither or worry that he might miss, he just slots them over. And at his age its scary how good he is now.

• Advertisement

If he had 10 heads It wouldn't bother me ;)

He doesn't think about it, watching him in the last few games, he doesn't dither or worry that he might miss, he just slots them over. And at his age its scary how good he is now.

He has really progressed from just a brilliant free-taker to now getting a large amount of scores from play aswell. He is priceless to Mayo, it is very hard to find a player that can ping frees over for breakfast and also have a big impact from open play also. On top of that, his work rate is superb. He takes so much pressure off the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

mayo will need to be at the best here, never mind cork, reilly will be a bigger threat here!

kupus wrote: »
    mayo will need to be at the best here, never mind cork, reilly will be a bigger threat here!

Are you in Croke Park now? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Define natural.

I am on about Mayo, Cooper is without doubt natural, Murphy has been off his game for over a year but is a fine fine player, wouldn't put him the same category as Cooper.

I would regard a forward as having natural ability if, with only minimal training, they still pose a significant threat i.e. they possess all of the skills and have the composure to use those skills regardless of fitness and speed e.g. Colm Cooper, Peter Canavan, Ciaran MacDonald, Declan O’Sullivan, Paddy McBrearty, Shane Walsh and of course Maurice Fitzgerald and Mattie Forde back in the day.

I would regard a forward as having natural ability if, with only minimal training, they still pose a significant threat i.e. they possess all of the skills and have the composure to use those skills regardless of fitness and speed e.g. Colm Cooper, Peter Canavan, Ciaran MacDonald, Declan O’Sullivan, Paddy McBrearty, Shane Walsh and of course Maurice Fitzgerald and Mattie Forde back in the day.

And COC also then.

Shane Walsh.... after 4 games is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Define natural.

Someone who you see playing under 12 and there's just something about themthat sets them apart from all the rest.
    I suppose you could call in an X Factor.

Check out the YouTube video of Peter Canavan's son to see what I mean.

Larry Tompkins was a great footballer back in the day and a deadly freetaker, but he has said himself that he had limited natural ability.

What he did have though was a desire to get to the very top, huge will to win, self discipline and fitness.

He also ruthlessly turned his back on his own county but that's a discussion for another day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I used to look forward to see Ciaran McDonald play. Incredible player, one of the most naturally gifted footballers i've ever seen. His ability to kick long range passes and scores was just frightening.

And this is coming from a Dub. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

One of my all time favourite players as well.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Someone who you see playing under 12 and there's just something about themthat sets them apart from all the rest.
    I suppose you could call in an X Factor.

Check out the YouTube video of Peter Canavan's son to see what I mean.

Larry Tompkins was a great footballer back in the day and a deadly freetaker, but he has said himself that he had limited natural ability.

What he did have though was a desire to get to the very top, huge will to win, self discipline and fitness.

He also ruthlessly turned his back on his own county but that's a discussion for another day...

Never seen COC playing U12, minor and U21 and senior and he is, in my opinion, the best natural forward I have seen in a Mayo jersey.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I used to look forward to see Ciaran McDonald play. Incredible player, one of the most naturally gifted footballers i've ever seen. His ability to kick long range passes and scores was just frightening.

And this is coming from a Dub. :pac:

2006 *cough cough*

This one was funny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement