Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola Virus "beyond our control" in West Africa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Nuke em all and let God sort em out. A pretty standard approach to disease control you'll find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Nuke em all and let God sort em out. A pretty standard approach to disease control you'll find.

Or just nuke the entire planet from orbit. It's the only way to be sure the virus is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    If the virus leads to infections in the thousands or the hundreds of thousands the use of nuclear weapons should not be ruled out.

Nukes huh?

Would you say it's time for us to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside??

Bear Grylls must be hoarding his own pi$$ as we speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Nukes huh?

Would you say it's time for us to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside??

I think some heads may not even have GOO inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,570 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

KungPao wrote: »
    Or just nuke the entire planet from orbit. It's the only way to be sure the virus is gone.

Fcukin' A!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Tom Clancy predicted this global outbreak a long time ago. All it needs first is ISIS to capture some top scientists and doctors and voila!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Orders
    KungPao wrote: »
    Of course Madagascar has already closed its shipping ports and airports. So, it'll be up to them to ride out the storm and begin re-populating the earth.

I <3 Pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

There is no cure. The only way to stop it spreading is to quarantine the infected and pray that nobody from West Africa carrying the virus travels on an international flight infecting fellow passengers who in turn infect a crowded airport before spreading the virus to hundreds of thousands and then tens of millions.

You been watching 12 monkeys again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I think if humanity was as close to the brink of demise as you say, we would be hearing a bit more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I think if humanity was as close to the brink of demise as you say, we would be hearing a bit more about it

That's what they want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,570 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's what they want you to think.

Can you make me a tinfoil hat too please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

In fairness, it's a pretty serious piece of news. MSF can't contain it anymore? While it might not wipe out all of humanity I'd hate to think it'd spread to here and what would happen if it did. Would our hospitals cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

In fairness, it's a pretty serious piece of news. MSF can't contain it anymore? While it might not wipe out all of humanity I'd hate to think it'd spread to here and what would happen if it did. Would our hospitals cope?
    They can barely cope as it is... A relentless killer pandemic may just push our health service over the edge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Would our hospitals cope?

Yes, but with a few casualties along the way. We don't have any dedicated infectious disease units in our hospitals so we'd be relying on standard hygiene practices, these have been shown on many occasions to be less than best-practice so they'd obviously have to be tightened up. It would take the loss of a few lives for that to happen. Then it depends on exposure levels to other people, if it stayed relatively self contained and only health care professionals contracted the virus then I imagine it would stay quite local within the hospital, and once isolation was established you could wait it out until all cases were either dead or recovered.

The difficulty is that we have no BSL-4 labs here in IReland, no official ones anyway, but I've heard rumours that some BSL-3 labs have small quantities of Ebolavirus for research purposes. So getting a confirmed diagnosis could cause a delay during which the virus could spread through improper handling of infected patients.

Well , itd be much easier to control a viral outbbreak in europe than west africa. Borders are tighter, more security, better health awareness and general hygiene. Also we are an island..Im sure that would stand to us? Like it would take longer to spread here than to the continent

But yeah wouldnt like to see it coming round here...90% mortality rate?! Thats crazy. Swine flu was like 10% mortality at most, and it mostly just killed the elderly and those with health problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,342 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sugar Free wrote: »
    I <3 Pandemic

For those who are wondering what this means: http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/Pandemic-2.html

Jerrica wrote: »
    Yes, but with a few casualties along the way. We don't have any dedicated infectious disease units in our hospitals so we'd be relying on standard hygiene practices, these have been shown on many occasions to be less than best-practice so they'd obviously have to be tightened up.

We have TB hospitals such as Merlin Park in Galway which as all separate units so a place like this would be ideal for segregation of patients at different stages of the disease.

We have TB hospitals such as Merlin Park in Galway which as all separate units so a place like this would be ideal for segregation of patients at different stages of the disease.

What kind of biosafety precautions have they got there? You'd also have the issue of secure transport.

Musing about the demise of humanity is so much fun :pac: :D

Yes, but with a few casualties along the way. We don't have any dedicated infectious disease units in our hospitals so we'd be relying on standard hygiene practices, these have been shown on many occasions to be less than best-practice so they'd obviously have to be tightened up. It would take the loss of a few lives for that to happen. Then it depends on exposure levels to other people, if it stayed relatively self contained and only health care professionals contracted the virus then I imagine it would stay quite local within the hospital, and once isolation was established you could wait it out until all cases were either dead or recovered.

The difficulty is that we have no BSL-4 labs here in IReland, no official ones anyway, but I've heard rumours that some BSL-3 labs have small quantities of Ebolavirus for research purposes. So getting a confirmed diagnosis could cause a delay during which the virus could spread through improper handling of infected patients.

They do.

They do.

That's awesome :D

Those labs wouldn't be able to run large-scale diagnostics though would they? I mean not on a large-scale national level anyway.

What kind of biosafety precautions have they got there? You'd also have the issue of secure transport.

Musing about the demise of humanity is so much fun :pac: :D

As it stands nothing out of the ordinary I'd imagine apart from the fact the there are 12 or 14 different totally separate units which is a very good start as you can completely isolate different groups of patients etc.

• Advertisement

That's awesome :D

Those labs wouldn't be able to run large-scale diagnostics though would they? I mean not on a large-scale national level anyway.

Diagnostics, probably not. If they had to try and house several hundred patient samples I think they would struggle. The strains they keep are for investigating how to best combat the virus. There are some people in the HSE who have studied these types of infectious diseases in detail and would advise the government on how best to proceed in the case of a large scale outbreak. The same people receive every kind of vaccination that is available as they travel to the outbreak sites to study the progression of the disease through a population. Grim work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

There is no cure. The only way to stop it spreading is to quarantine the infected and pray that nobody from West Africa carrying the virus travels on an international flight infecting fellow passengers who in turn infect a crowded airport before spreading the virus to hundreds of thousands and then tens of millions.

The Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person

The only reason it's spreading so quickly in West Africa is because of poor sanitation. You literally have to come into contact with someones blood or sh*t to catch it.

It wouldn't stand a chance in developed countries, the incubation period is too short.

Now shtap scaremongering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭galwayredgirl

Those units in Merlin are pretty dilapidated - I doubt if James Reilly knows what Ebola is. He is too busy ordering reports / research and statistics to tell us that we are drinking and smoking too much!

Not to worry we will all be dead from the drink and the cigarettes by the time Ebola reaches us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

The Ebola virus is spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person

The only reason it's spreading so quickly in West Africa is because of poor sanitation. You literally have to come into contact with someones blood or sh*t to catch it.

It wouldn't stand a chance in developed countries, the incubation period is too short.

Now shtap scaremongering.

It's also killed by direct exposure to sunlight.

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Pit we've none of that in ireland
    #doomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Ineedaname wrote: »

Like a vampire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I had a dodgey rasher for breakfast and am fairly sure my stomach has ebola as we speak. If I'm going down, I'm taking people with me..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And why not? The virus has a 90% death rate.
    Madagascar would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Madagascar would be safe.

Bastards are impossible to get to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Jaysus - even Ebola wouldn't stand a chance in our hospitals

Advertisement