Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes - expansion stalled?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any idea which 20? There's one planned for very close to my new office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Have to say looking at that map the usability it going to be greatly improved. The few stations i've found with capacity issue all seem to have a new station very close to it.

Merrion square for example has 4 new stations which should really balance out the load in the mornings , same with the green 2 new stations

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Work has started on a station on the North Wall Quay across from the Convention Centre.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/10/24/meanwhile-at-the-dublin-docklands/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Great news about the expansion finally starting. Any sign of any going in around Heuston Station yet?

• Advertisement

So what I've seen so far is

Stations at Convention Centre and Great Strand Street open.
    3 more stations along the North Wall Quay built and awaiting opening.
    Work starting at Grand Canal Square and South Dock Road in Ringsend.

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

There's a new station on Lower Mount Street that's built and looks like it's ready to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

There's one on Lime St, just off Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

There's one on Lime St, just off Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

Nice. Didn't know one was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

There are posters for the expansion of the scheme on the Crumlin Road and the SCR at Dolphin's Barn :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

This news is slightly out of date, but I'll mention it just in case. Three new Dublin Bikes stations opened at York Street West, Mount Street Lower and Grattan Street. The latter two should be handy for the GCD area.

There's a list of upcoming stations available here: http://www.dublinbikes.ie/Stations/View-stations/Dublinbikes-station-list

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

There are posters for the expansion of the scheme on the Crumlin Road and the SCR at Dolphin's Barn :D

Yeah, I saw the poster as well. I don't see any street near there on the list of upcoming stations, or on the station map though. Do you know of a station that will be nearby?

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    Yeah, I saw the poster as well. I don't see any street near there on the list of upcoming stations, or on the station map though. Do you know of a station that will be nearby?

DublinBikes are used by people who live/work/study far beyond the limits of the system.

Here's a map of all current and planned stations: http://irishcycle.com/dbmap/

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

monument wrote: »
    DublinBikes are used by people who live/work/study far beyond the limits of the system.

Here's a map of all current and planned stations: http://irishcycle.com/dbmap/

Thanks, that's a better map than the official one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

Interesting article in Sunday Times today about the app designed by NTA - leading people up wrong streets, dangerous alleyways, and onto Luas lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

It looks like the NTA have approved feasibility studies for extending the Dublin Bikes scheme to Dun Laoghaire and Tallaght:

http://newstalk.ie/Dublin-bike-scheme-could-be-extended

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It looks like the NTA have approved feasibility studies for extending the Dublin Bikes scheme to Dun Laoghaire and Tallaght:

http://newstalk.ie/Dublin-bike-scheme-could-be-extended

Tallaght?! - they'd all end up in the canal etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Ah so thats what those thingys are outside the Mater in Eccles St. I see Eccles St East is on the list of new stations :D

There's about four or five new stations under construction in and around Heuston. Does anybody have any idea how long the construction period has been for other new stations? Once these ones come into operation, I can see a huge increase in ridership for Dublin Bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

South Dock St. station is now often (near Shelbourne Park stadium). I think that's the most easterly one on the south side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

With this phase nearly done do we have an ETA on the next one beginning?

With this phase nearly done do we have an ETA on the next one beginning?

In a word: No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is there actually any info on the next phase at all, i.e. where the next expansion is scheduled to take in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does anyone know if the DB card will be usable on bike schemes in Cork, Limerick and Galway when they are launched later this year or will they be separate schemes completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

AngryLips wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the DB card will be usable on bike schemes in Cork, Limerick and Galway when they are launched later this year or will they be separate schemes completely?

I'd hazard a guess that they'll be separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brownbeard

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is there actually any info on the next phase at all, i.e. where the next expansion is scheduled to take in?

http://dublinobserver.com/2011/03/wheels-set-in-motion-for-dublin-bikes-expansion/

From the map bellow/attached/linked it's the remaining section within the grand canal at dolphin's barn.

This was the map that was floating around a few years ago but I suspect that there's no concrete plans on how to proceed with the next stages. Hopefully this is already being worked through (funding etc..) but my guess would be that we'd maybe get an announcement before the next general election? :rolleyes:

Does anyone else know anything further on the next stages?

expmap-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

http://dublincity.ie/coca-cola-ireland-investment-support-expansion-dublinbikes-scheme
    The three-year commercial partnership deal, worth almost €2m, will see the scheme rebranded as Coca-Cola Zero dublinbikes. Coca-Cola Zero branding will be on dublinbikes from the end of June 2014.

Does this mean that the dublinbikes membership will also work in Cork/Limerick/Galway?

I'm trying to find out exactly how many bikes are available now, but it's not on the site. They state that there were 550 live in 2011, but there have been many new stations added since then. Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Farotz

Hi guys,

Any news about the possible extension of the Dublin Bike Scheme to Fingal?
    Some declarations made by Fingal councillors in the past 2 years (for some reason Boards.ie says that I can't post links on the grounds that I would a 'new member', even if I'm not) seem to suggest that they may be thinking about a separate scheme, but let's hope this won't be the case, or if it will let's hope that at least there will be a very high degree of integration, with cyclists free to pick and park bikes in either jurisdictions.
    Thanks,

• Advertisement

The dublinbikes scheme isn't planned to be extended beyond Dublin City Council. I haven't heard anything about a separate scheme for Fingal.

Advertisement