Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma and cycle racing

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

it seems to be a non story anyhow

as the inhaler is allowed (within reason) without even a TUE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Split from the Criterium du Dauphine thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does anybody know,what percentage of the general population is asthmatic?

Asthma stats for Ireland

7.1% of 18+ population have asthma
    18.9% of 13 – 15 year olds have asthma
    38.5% of 13 – 15 year olds reported wheezing

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I'd expect to see a higher incidence of asthma in athletes than in the general population.
    You'd be right.

Exercise-induced asthma, respiratory and allergic disorders in elite athletes: epidemiology, mechanisms and diagnosis: Part I of the report from the Joint Task Force of the European Respiratory Society (ERS) and the European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) in cooperation with GA2LEN
    Conclusions:  The prevalence of asthma and bronchial hyperresponsiveness is markedly increased in athletes, especially within endurance sports. Environmental factors often contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not really, he used an Salbutamol inhaler that doesn't even require a TUE to assist with his exercise induced Asthma, nothing to see here despite people wishing there was.
    On the face if, nothing to see here, but another PR blunder from Sky brought about by their lack of transparency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Macy0161 wrote: »
    On the face if, nothing to see here, but another PR blunder from Sky brought about by their lack of transparency.

What was not transparent here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I would have thought it was more like another witch hunt by people who don't know what they are on about, rather than any wrong doing on sky's part.

Cant wait to use my inhaler mid race on Sunday just before I attack :)

Man uses legal breathing aid in public during an extremely intensive and sustained effort. Seems transparent enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm not sure what exactly the PR blunder is here?

I'm not sure what exactly the PR blunder is here?

They didn't make a press release about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

do we know it was salbutamol? Does it leave anything in the sample except for little "Ventolin" signs floating around?

I dont know just asking

They've explained away his transformation due to illness, and they couldn't have also mentioned the asthma? Rather than reveal it on the road in the middle of a race? It's a PR blunder because, again, Sky are explaining away something, rather than revealing things first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They should press release that someone has asthma? Seriously? What next? Should Sky call a press conference if Froome takes a Dispirin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Ah come on people will ya. I'm no fan of sky or Chris Froome but giving out about now not detailing every single issue with every rider is a little bit much. If Quintana had used an inhaler in the giro what would have been the fall out? "oh look he has asthma, well done lad" Would we have complained that Movistar didn't tell us nor tell us about his illness earlier in his life? No.

Am I to understand Sky should have given a full dossier on every health issue and a full medical breakdown when talking about a past illness? Ridiculous. I don't know how more transparent you can get than being on tv to millions around the world taking 2 puffs (standard) of an inhaler.

@morana, It's not necessarily salbutamol as that is an active ingredient in a wide variety of inhalers. From what I know of last night sky said it was ventolin which is a salbutamol based inhaler and if you do a blood test you can easily see levels of salbutamol in a persons system. Since Froome has never breached the limits allowed then safe to say it's a standard inhaler taken within the limitations.

It's not every single rider, it's the bloody rider that came from being chucked out of Grand Tours for hanging on to motorbikes and facing into no contract extension, to dominating the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

It's perfectly legal, it's very questionable as to whether it could in any way be performance enhancing, so there should be no issue. But, why has it never come up before that he suffers from asthma?

Michelle Cound - “No TUE required, he has asthma, hence the coughing after exertion #duh #trolls”

So, Froome's recovery from bilharzia is mentioned in nearly every article you read about him, covered in detail in his very recent book, but asthma isn't mentioned once? Ever?

It should be nothing, but given the history of the sport, and his performances over the past two years (after getting dumped out of the Giro in 2010), and Team Sky's "you can't be half a cheat", it's worthy of a fuller explanation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »
    It also raises your heart beat (or is that the purple one?)

It does (although as pointed out thats not performance enhancing) although also give you palpitations and a lovely tremor .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

no TUE required
    and not-performance
    enhancing it seems (at legal doses)

so a bit of a non story after all then

Advertisement