Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma and cycle racing

Options
  • 11-06-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

there's a big sh1tstorm blown up over an inhaler froome used on monday on the climb

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

but he had plenty of power in 2012..

but not compared to when he was on the track. Enough for the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

there's a big sh1tstorm blown up over an inhaler froome used on monday on the climb

Not really, he used an Salbutamol inhaler that doesn't even require a TUE to assist with his exercise induced Asthma, nothing to see here despite people wishing there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not really, he used an Salbutamol inhaler that doesn't even require a TUE to assist with his exercise induced Asthma, nothing to see here despite people wishing there was.

There's certainly a huge aspect of people wanting Froome & Sky to be doping, but I think the fair question from a general point of view is if there's a performance enhancing aspect to such an inhaler used in race time. I'm a total layman but does such an inhaler help in increasing one's intake of O2, & so one's available energy? If so, is there a case for saying having asthma is unfortunate but not something which should be compensated for in the midst of competitive athletics?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

pelevin wrote: »
    There's certainly a huge aspect of people wanting Froome & Sky to be doping

i dont think people want them to be doping, i think thats the last thing the sport needs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

neris wrote: »
    i dont think people want them to be doping, i think thats the last thing the sport needs.

Reading some posts on here over the last couple of years I can guarantee you some people take great pleasure in knocking the sport if cycling as being full of dopers, and that we're foolish to be watching it. Some people want to be able to say "I told you so" in a few years time.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

There are definitely lots of people who want them to be caught for doping, just look at comments on articles Cycling News for a few days & that'll become clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

there is an upper daily limit for salbutamol (1600 mg iirc). If he is over that limit I'm sure it would be picked up and he would be penalised. Lots of riders use it. Lots of professional sports people use it. Cian Healy, Paul Scholes, Big Mig, Jan Ulrich, Paula Radcliff and many more have asthma.

There is no extra benefit from using an inhaler on the bike imho. (subjective I know, but I have had asthma for years and use inhalers when riding and running). All they do is to help you breath normally when breathing normally is not possible due to the asthma. Having seriously restricted breathing due to asthma is pretty horrible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

pelevin wrote: »
    There's certainly a huge aspect of people wanting Froome & Sky to be doping, but I think the fair question from a general point of view is if there's a performance enhancing aspect to such an inhaler used in race time. I'm a total layman but does such an inhaler help in increasing one's intake of O2, & so one's available energy? If so, is there a case for saying having asthma is unfortunate but not something which should be compensated for in the midst of competitive athletics?

It dialates the passageways in the lungs. That's it really. If you don't have Asthma, it'll do feck all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Brian? wrote: »
    It dialates the passageways in the lungs. That's it really. If you don't have Asthma, it'll do feck all.

It also raises your heart beat (or is that the purple one?)

godtabh wrote: »

I can't remember. I wouldn't see it raising your heart beat as a plus though.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I can't remember. I wouldn't see it raising your heart beat as a plus though.

thats what I meant. People assume its a performance enhancer but it may not be

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

It's the purple one (seritide) that raises your heart rate

taken from the 2014 wada prohibited list
    Wada wrote:
    S3. BETA-2 AGONISTS

All beta-2 agonists, including all optical isomers (e.g. d- and l-) where relevant,
    are prohibited except inhaled salbutamol (maximum 1600 micrograms over 24
    hours), inhaled formoterol (maximum delivered dose 54 micrograms over 24
    hours) and salmeterol when taken by inhalation in accordance with the
    manufacturers’ recommended therapeutic regimen.

The 2014 Prohibited List
    11 September 2013

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in
    excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the
    substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding unless the
    Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal
    result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic inhaled dose up to the
    maximum indicated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

lennymc wrote: »
    there is an upper daily limit for salbutamol (1600 mg iirc). If he is over that limit I'm sure it would be picked up and he would be penalised. Lots of riders use it. Lots of professional sports people use it. Cian Healy, Paul Scholes, Big Mig, Jan Ulrich, Paula Radcliff and many more have asthma.

There is no extra benefit from using an inhaler on the bike imho. (subjective I know, but I have had asthma for years and use inhalers when riding and running). All they do is to help you breath normally when breathing normally is not possible due to the asthma. Having seriously restricted breathing due to asthma is pretty horrible.

IIRC when ex Munster and Irish rugby player Frankie Sheahan was infracted for salbutamol use he received a huge amount of support from pro rugby players everywhere.
    It transpired that a very significant amount of the munster rugby team were asthmatic. Both Martin Johnson and Lawerence Dallalagio supported Sheahan - almost the entire English pack claimed to be asthmatic.

Make of that what you will.
    My view is the incidence of sports induced asthma seems to be increasing over time (or is that it's diagnosis).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ROK ON wrote: »
    IIRC when ex Munster and Irish rugby player Frankie Sheahan was infracted for salbutamol use he received a huge amount of support from pro rugby players everywhere.
    It transpired that a very significant amount of the munster rugby team were asthmatic. Both Martin Johnson and Lawerence Dallalagio supported Sheahan - almost the entire English pack claimed to be asthmatic.

Make of that what you will.
    My view is the incidence of sports induced asthma seems to be increasing over time (or is that it's diagnosis).

Can you give a link to information about this, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

25% of team GB at London 2012 were asthmatic

ROK ON wrote: »

At about this time,2002-2003 my son was an elite cyclist(DH MTB). He is asthmatic. He had a TUE for his ventolin inhaler, and other medication. He was tested regularly, maybe 5-6 a year. He never had any problem.
    I was unaware, that athletes had such problems.

The TUE was removed in about 2011 iirc, and instead, an upper daily limit was introduced.

If it was illegal I doubt it would be done so openly during a race

• Advertisement

If it was illegal I doubt it would be done so openly during a race

that's the thing - it's not illegal. It's no more illegal than taking a gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

As someone who suffered with asthma since being a child I can speak from experience here. Now thankfully it hasn't affected me in years and I've not needed an inhaler for possibly 10 years. Anyway when you are either fully asthmatic or exercise induced all the inhaler does (combivent then ventolin in my case) is coats and dilates your airways. This merely brings you up to the same level as someone without asthma. If you are not asthmatic you can feel slightly strange after taking an inhaler but in reality it does absolutely nothing for you.

Now there is a case of over use. If you puff on it excessively and I mean 10plus times it can give you a very short term feeling of a lot of air. Weather this translates into actual performance I don't know. It can also make you light headed though. Anybody familiar with Allesando Petacchi this is what he was disqualified from the 2007 giro for. He regularly took like 10 puffs coming up to the final sprint and registered a much higher reading that allowable.

So in short this whole Chris Froome inhaler he's cheating thing is absolutely and completely bollo....

As someone who suffered with asthma since being a child I can speak from experience here. Now thankfully it hasn't affected me in years and I've not needed an inhaler for possibly 10 years. Anyway when you are either fully asthmatic or exercise induced all the inhaler does (combivent then ventolin in my case) is coats and dilates your airways. This merely brings you up to the same level as someone without asthma. If you are not asthmatic you can feel slightly strange after taking an inhaler but in reality it does absolutely nothing for you.

Now there is a case of over use. If you puff on it excessively and I mean 10plus times it can give you a very short term feeling of a lot of air. Weather this translates into actual performance I don't know. It can also make you light headed though. Anybody familiar with Allesando Petacchi this is what he was disqualified from the 2007 giro for. He regularly took like 10 puffs coming up to the final sprint and registered a much higher reading that allowable.

So in short this whole Chris Froome inhaler he's cheating thing is absolutely and completely bollo....

Thanks for that, though as a slight caveat I'd say, given your info about Petacchi, the idea using an inhaler is cheating is absolute, total boll. . . doesn't quite tally, or is unnecessarily overstating the case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Had asthma as a kid right through to my early 20s. Wouldn't have been able to play sports without inhalers. Significant proportion of my rugby team in school also had it to varying degrees.

Can completely understand how someone could overdo it with an inhaler without intending to cheat. You live in constant fear that your asthma will strike at the wrong time and go for the "better sure than sorry" approach.

It's like firing gels into you near the end of a race. You probably don't need them but you need that mental reassurance.

25% of team GB at London 2012 were asthmatic

Does anybody know,what percentage of the general population is asthmatic?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd expect to see a higher incidence of asthma in athletes than in the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Does anybody know,what percentage of the general population is asthmatic?

8-10% I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd expect to see a higher incidence of asthma in athletes than in the general population.

Why?

Why?

Because exercise induced asthma is very real and effects realy fit people, like Olympians.

There is definitely an attitude around that it's a con, people are claiming to be asthmatic to use inhalers and get an edge performance wise. It's not though, salbutamol will do feck all for you unless you're asthmatic.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Two factors:

1. Sedentary people aren't going to suffer from exercise induced asthma.
    2. Sedentary people with milder cases of asthma are more likely to go undiagnosed.

Advertisement